Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It does seem like one war where a major fighter got knocked out and pinned to the ground only to get pissed off and turn into the hulk while everyone else was thinking it was done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Turns out different people had different school experiences

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

AlbieQuirky posted:

We were taught that the whole thing was a disaster and we had to read a bunch of poems from Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon and so on :shrug:

This is a very common way of teaching about these wars at the university level.

I think I read here on the Military History thread an idea I've always found convincing: That if it were not for the Nazis unique evil, if they had just been bent on European conquest rather than extermination, we would treat the period from the Franco-Prussian war to the end of WWII as a long fight between France and Germany for economic and political domination of Western Europe.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I learnt a lot about the cold war but being Australian it was basically all Asia. Including two full years on China.

The Berlin situation was still a surprise. Like even if you have a good history teacher and a good school you can miss poo poo. History is BIG.

My main memory of learning about Germany in history class was the holocaust and then back to the WW2 Pacific.

Basically dialh is full of poo poo I was into history and had a great teacher and it didn't come up.
What chance do people with a way worse education system have.

A Sometimes Food has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jan 31, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Turns out different people had different school experiences

Yeah I think that may be the discussion topic at present

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Why would they teach us about the space race that clearly didn't happen according to known correct person Candice Owens.

Idiot content:
https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1487963810182881285

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

dialhforhero posted:

Okay. This is an extreme circumstance, though, and unfortunate. I can almost guarantee your teacher WOULD have taught it. This very similar issue is actually a very big deal to schools and universities right now with regards to the pandemic and the trickle-down results of learning loss due to school shut-downs, extreme amounts of absences, and online learning, will be felt for years.
I wasn't taught about the whole wall situation because we ran out of time in the final year and I am German, you dingus

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OPAONI posted:

the Nazis unique evil,
This is a pet peeve of mine, the Nazis were not "uniquely" evil, they were by-and-large ordinary people making a bunch of incredibly heinous mistakes that could very easily happen again if we do not learn from them

sexpig by night posted:

Like, we do it for WW2 too but at least with that there's kinda a more agreed upon narrative of 'well...yea but gently caress the Nazis, it's good we kicked their asses' and we stick to just erasing the Soviets basically carrying all of the 40's european campaign on their backs. WW1 is pure us looking at arguably one of the west's greatest tragedies and going "WHOOOO WE WON"
It's basically a manifestation of this, imo. There's a lot of nuance & context missing from the way it's taught. WW2 seems to have been collectively retrofitted to "they were doing the Holocaust so we kicked their asses", when in fact we didn't even know that was happening at the time. In the UK at least, lots of people actually supported the Nazis, in some cases even after we went to war with them (& in a few, much later). And now, those exact kinds of people like to talk up how great we are for kicking the Nazis "uniquely evil" asses, whilst also making the exact same arguments & supporting the exact same policies that led to the Holocaust in the first loving place.

It's good that we kicked the Nazis' asses, but we didn't do it out of altruism, and the reason it was good is because fascism is an inherently evil ideology, not because those particular fascists happened to be German

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Borrovan posted:

This is a pet peeve of mine, the Nazis were not "uniquely" evil, they were by-and-large ordinary people making a bunch of incredibly heinous mistakes that could very easily happen again if we do not learn from them

Anybody waving a Nazi flag or spouting Nazi ideology today deserves a very swift and very hard blow to the mouth and to have all of their Nazi memorabilia destroyed, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Anybody waving a Nazi flag or spouting Nazi ideology today deserves a very swift and very hard blow to the mouth and to have all of their Nazi memorabilia destroyed, though.

I was in this play as Capt. Von Trapp and got to do this

Very satisfying

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Borrovan posted:

It's basically a manifestation of this, imo. There's a lot of nuance & context missing from the way it's taught. WW2 seems to have been collectively retrofitted to "they were doing the Holocaust so we kicked their asses", when in fact we didn't even know that was happening at the time. In the UK at least, lots of people actually supported the Nazis, in some cases even after we went to war with them (& in a few, much later). And now, those exact kinds of people like to talk up how great we are for kicking the Nazis "uniquely evil" asses, whilst also making the exact same arguments & supporting the exact same policies that led to the Holocaust in the first loving place.

It's good that we kicked the Nazis' asses, but we didn't do it out of altruism, and the reason it was good is because fascism is an inherently evil ideology, not because those particular fascists happened to be German

The were doubly not "unique" due to how most of their machinations were inspired by, adopted from, or outright copied from the rest of the world. Hitler saw the US's treatment of Native Americans and Henry Ford's antisemitism as an inspiration and guidebook for their attempt at exterminating Jews and other "undesirables" from Germany. They took concentration camps from the British tactics in the Boer war, and looked historically at exiling the "unwanted" populations to far off lands (Australia) as an option for getting rid of Jews by dumping them in Madagascar.

The "Third Reich" was a weird amalgamation of ideas, technologies, and inspirations from around the world that it's basically "Original the Character, do not steal, Fascism edition....which was also Italian in origin".

It also crazy to my how many Americans went over to fight against German in WW2, only to come back and try to restart their ideas at home. George Lincoln Rockwell was a Navy pilot and also the progenitor of the American Neo-Nazi movement. I just don't get how you square that circle.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Sure, but it's dangerous to pretend the Van Trapps of the world weren't often actual fascists, just from different flavors than nazi who then went on to work with Gladio.

Hell, the western powers helped actual nazis rebuild the West German government and staff its security & intelligence orgs, since they were so good at murdering commies. Like to the point that the German equivalent of the CIA was run by nazis and murdering student protestors well into the 70's.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anora posted:

Why would they teach us about the space race that clearly didn't happen according to known correct person Candice Owens.

Idiot content:
https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1487963810182881285

I love how Fauci remains this bogeyman for conservatives when every vaguely left person I know largely stopped paying attention to him months ago.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

My World Cultures & History teacher (who had a doctorate and encyclopedic knowledge of every country and was incredibly entertaining and I went to Russia on an EF trip he organized in 1991 to bring an expat back home to the countryside near St. Petersburg, but was also kind of a kook, he taught us firmly that human beings have Five Sexes, and "homosexual" and "asexual" were among them, and he put this question on exams) wanted us to believe that in the future WWI and WII would come to be thought of and studied as one single conflict, called the Great War.

I learned more about the world from that guy than any other source until Wikipedia became a thing, but half of what he made us write down and write essays about from his copious blackboard notes I now have to question what the gently caress he was even talking about.

What I'm saying is that even the "best" teachers and the ones who do the best job getting kids interested in the world can be pretty drat idiosyncratic and whole generations can be brought up under the whims of individual weirdos.

It sounds like he had a different source, but a five-sex model was an accepted academic theory at the time: https://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/12/opinion/how-many-sexes-are-there.html. I’m linking the NYT as it’s easily accessible but Fausto-Sterling did plenty of peer reviewed writing and wasn’t a kook (did admit the model was wrong years later though).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Crain posted:

It also crazy to my how many Americans went over to fight against German in WW2, only to come back and try to restart their ideas at home. George Lincoln Rockwell was a Navy pilot and also the progenitor of the American Neo-Nazi movement. I just don't get how you square that circle.

Heavy metal poisoning.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol fox news is literally destroying the country

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Henchman of Santa posted:

I love how Fauci remains this bogeyman for conservatives when every vaguely left person I know largely stopped paying attention to him months ago.

Conservatives think everyone left of them is some variation of Rachel Maddow.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

hawowanlawow posted:

lol fox news is literally destroying the country

Fox News (or rather, it's predecessor) literally distributed Hitler speeches in pre-WW2. They've always been evil.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Coolness Averted posted:

Sure, but it's dangerous to pretend the Van Trapps of the world weren't often actual fascists, just from different flavors than nazi who then went on to work with Gladio.

I know you said "of the world" but I won't hear anyone say boo about the actual von Trapps. They ran from the Nazis and then spent the rest of their lives singing, running a fun lodge, and now they make incredible beer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wait till he takes his glasses off, and we find out it was George Soros all along.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Samovar posted:

Fox News (or rather, it's predecessor) literally distributed Hitler speeches in pre-WW2. They've always been evil.

Say the who what?

I've not heard this one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crain posted:

The were doubly not "unique" due to how most of their machinations were inspired by, adopted from, or outright copied from the rest of the world. Hitler saw the US's treatment of Native Americans and Henry Ford's antisemitism as an inspiration and guidebook for their attempt at exterminating Jews and other "undesirables" from Germany. They took concentration camps from the British tactics in the Boer war, and looked historically at exiling the "unwanted" populations to far off lands (Australia) as an option for getting rid of Jews by dumping them in Madagascar.

The "Third Reich" was a weird amalgamation of ideas, technologies, and inspirations from around the world that it's basically "Original the Character, do not steal, Fascism edition....which was also Italian in origin".

My feeling is that tons of people buy into the "the Nazis were uniquely evil" framing for no better reason than that it gives us a nice unequivocal bad guy to have fought against in order to earn our good guy badge in history, and it excuses us from having to know anything else about them or what other guises they might appear in, because that's hard.

People have no idea what or who the Nazis were, they just appeared one day from space. Nothing like that could happen here. And if something with fascist characteristics arises, well they're not Nazis, those guys had the funny mustaches and the swastikas and they were in Germany! A whole different country! This is something completely different!

Plus people think being called a Nazi or racist is way worse than being a Nazi or racist. Magic words and symbols poo poo.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

turns out we are all the idiots on social media, including a bug dumb gay dead comedy website that I still love to bits and will always love to bits

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

I just want to say that you probably WERE taught this properly but your attitudes towards history probably didn’t give many fucks so you are misremembering a lot of your school experience because it was 20 years ago.

ALSO/OR your class was struggling to understand concepts and in order to cover the material necessary for the course the teacher strugglefested to get the content out there but because you had a class of 35 and only 4 gave a poo poo it was all moot.

Please don’t poo poo on your teachers without reflecting on how much of an idiot shitheel you WERE as a teen because almost all teens are idiot shitheels.

This applies to nearly all nations. Not USA Schools specifically.

It also applies to any subject.

No we just didn't cover the cold war at all, we didn't cover a lot of things, in fact I consider myself quite lucky because I somehow managed to miss covering any english history at all apart from a little bit of tudors, but zero general history of the monarchy at all, which is very welcome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, we spent like maybe a week at the end of the school year covering the cold war. We spent like 5 times as much time covering American history between the revolution and the Civil war, which, aside from the build up to the civil war and also the genocide of the Native Americans is largely pointless information. At least compared to learning about the cold war and the factors that lead to the current war on terror.

Like, I think understanding what we did to Iran and then the fall out from that is much more useful information for a 21st century American than knowing about the Louisiana purchase.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
a lot of that stuff is better covered through AP and U level history courses in places that are a bit more geared to uni prep. The programs carry whatever bias and institutional issues of the board, textbook, college prep, or university they are offered through, but also whatever educators, editors and test markers who have more current to progressive perspectives on society

covid really busted up the 2021 AP exams, as a lot of teachers weren't able to get past unit 7 (roughly turn of the cent. to ww2 for world and u.s.) so students were either told to read hundreds of pages and understand 1945-2015 or just hope the board would basically avoid those questions, luckily they did

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Jan 31, 2022

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
All you need to know about the Cold War was it was started because Russia was jealous of the US beating Hitler and it ended with Rocky punching Ivan Drago into submission.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Play Twilight Struggle a few times and you'll get it.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
My 10th grade history teacher said the war in Vietnam ended in a tie.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

We spent 30 minutes on the civil rights movement as an AP History class.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Zil posted:

We spent 30 minutes on the civil rights movement as an AP History class.

"America used to be really racist but then MLK made a speech and got shot and racism was over."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MLK was racism Jesus, gave his life that we might not see color

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Byzantine posted:

Play Twilight Struggle a few times and you'll get it.

A better understanding of countries, conflicts, and history is probably play Paradox games from beginning to end on any historical settings.

Start at Imperator, then Crusader Kings, then Europa Universalis, then Victoria, and end with Hearts of Iron and you'll probably have an unironic grasp of the various hegemonies and wars and formation of nation-states, etc. I mean, I say this jokingly but...like, not. There's lots of real history embedded in the games so for many it may actually be a way to learn something, even if it is gamified.

At the very least, you'll have a REALLY good understanding of geography.

Okay class, your syllabus is to play Hearts of Iron IV on historical iron man mode through 1946 and tell me about each civil war, faction and their leaders, major sea battle, invasion, peace conference, and general you encounter and what their effect on the game was. You will then write a 10 page paper on your course of action and reflect on the causes and effects of each faction focus.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Jan 31, 2022

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
when i was in k-6 grade school the white music teacher would teach the 90% white student population spirituals as part of the curriculum with some historical contextualization but sometimes there was a dance which felt really weird

especially because i later learned at least 3 were minstrel show standards

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Andos El Pantos posted:

My 10th grade history teacher said the war in Vietnam ended in a tie.

Mine wouldn't recognize it as a true "War" since it was a 'conflict'. This, as well as Korea, was how he justified America never losing a WAR. :911:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

dialhforhero posted:

Teaching about the Berlin Wall and teaching about the Civil War and slavery are not the same though.

I ABSOLUTELY agree the latter were not taught correctly, or with a critical eye.

I disagree that you weren’t taught about the Berlin Wall at ALL, and, by extension the Cold War.

MOST teachers really do try hard to teach. Many kids do not want to be taught. This is not new. This is a story told since time immemorial. Literally.

Learning executive function and independence do a hell of a thing to a developing brain and some people never really fully develop.

gosh I sure am glad we have this dumb weird loser telling a bunch of people they don’t know how wrong they are about their lived experiences

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rockman Reserve posted:

gosh I sure am glad we have this dumb weird loser telling a bunch of people they don’t know how wrong they are about their lived experiences

He's like that guy from quantum leap but only for history teachers when they're about to teach the cold war so these criticisms are all very personal.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Bismuth posted:

Same here, we got some pilgrim poo poo to revolutionary war in elementary school(avoiding the pesky genocide parts) then hopped straight over to wwi, wwii, and then the war on terror in highscool

This is weird to me because War on Terror is decidedly Post-History for me (in the sense of history class, not the 90s idea of us being at the "end of history" or whatever). Being in high school when 9/11 happened, it was basically a loop of Pilgrims->1776->1812->Civil War->Nothing Happened Here We Promise->World War I->Great Depression->World War II then back to pilgrims. The latter years got somewhat into civil rights and the cold war, and we may have even talked about the 1980s by senior year.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

christmas boots posted:

He's like that guy from quantum leap but only for history teachers when they're about to teach the cold war so these criticisms are all very personal.

one of the two major standardized tests doesn't even have a history section and the other one is only 60 minutes with a heavy bias towards us history pre-1899, and schools generally teach to the tests

these are publicly available facts but i think the one guy frantically telling us all that we're clearly misremembering might be on to something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I meant specifically high school history, because that's the only courses I can remember how much was taught to me at school and not poo poo from like watching an episode of Histeria!

Question for younger Americans in this thread (I'm 38, so I'm guess I'm asking for people in the under 28 crowd?) how did they teach you about the civil war growing up? I very much remember being told as a child it was absolutely about slavery, then as I got older they did some more "well, there were a lot of complex things" then in high school (At my high school and I think this was either a school district policy or a maybe a state law) you took American history your junior year (so age 16 or 17 mostly) they were actually very much back into "yeah, it was about slavery" which is the elevator pitch truth, there's other factors, but none of those factors would have mattered near as much if not for slavery also being a thing.