Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Has anyone ever won a Royal Rumble, or Rumble-like big battle type event, by being the final entrant but the ring was empty/all other competitors were already eliminated by the time they were set to come out?

There was one in DDT last year. Everyone eliminated themselves right before Yukio Sakaguchi came out for the win.

Lots of participants were Paulie-pilled because Mad Paulie had left free drinks for everyone in the back and some people decided to try them.

Go to about 1hr 17 min:
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1X64y1X72r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh poo poo I forgot about that match, it was hilarious

"Paul...." *fade to black*

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
What was up with Barry Horowitz's random push? Don't get me wrong, I marked out for his win over Candido but it looks weird in retrospect.

Was Horowitz considered a good worker? I was too young to really know back then and I don't hate myself enough to watch a bunch of New Generation era jobber squashes.

It's also weird that when Horowitz turned face his entire character was just that he was Jewish.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zombie Lemur posted:

What was up with Barry Horowitz's random push? Don't get me wrong, I marked out for his win over Candido but it looks weird in retrospect.

Was Horowitz considered a good worker? I was too young to really know back then and I don't hate myself enough to watch a bunch of New Generation era jobber squashes.

It's also weird that when Horowitz turned face his entire character was just that he was Jewish.

Yes, he was. I think it was partly because the roster was super thin.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Zombie Lemur posted:

Was Horowitz considered a good worker?

Bad workers don't get the quantity or quality of bookings Horowitz had even as a jobber.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Has anyone ever won a Royal Rumble, or Rumble-like big battle type event, by being the final entrant but the ring was empty/all other competitors were already eliminated by the time they were set to come out?

Chikara did it in their last Infinite Gauntlet (33-person Rumble with pins allowed).

During its last few years, Chikara would explain jobber squash matches by having students wear generic masks with the Chikara logo on them and give them generic names like "Dropkick Dave," "Hiptoss Harry," "Bodyslam Bill," or whatever with that template. Since the kayfabe commissioner character was a cheapskate, he figured he would just save overhead by filling up Infinite Gauntlet spots with the masked jobber students. Sometimes later it would be revealed that Ophidian was secretly putting together his own army out of these masked students. In the meantime, despite the every-man-for-himself setup, all the masked jobbers were suspiciously working together. Some were throwaway bodies but there were a couple who seemed genuinely threatening (ie. EM Demorest) on their own. They made sure to unscrew the top turnbuckles so that the final few wrestlers would fall out of the ring.

Then Ophidian entered at #33, winning by default.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Did Icarus, Ophidean, or UltraMantis Black or any of the other big names ever land with other promotions outside of Chikara? It seems like a good portion of them just opted to retire.

I know Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy are in AEW but AFAIK they left before Chikara shut down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fez_machine posted:

Bad workers don't get the quantity or quality of bookings Horowitz had even as a jobber.

They definitely do.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Zombie Lemur posted:

Was Horowitz considered a good worker?

He was very good in my opinion. He just looked like a butt hole.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nystral posted:

Did Icarus, Ophidean, or UltraMantis Black or any of the other big names ever land with other promotions outside of Chikara? It seems like a good portion of them just opted to retire.

I know Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy are in AEW but AFAIK they left before Chikara shut down.

Icarus went quiet and vanished after Speaking Out happened. Ophidian retired once Chikara ended. UltraMantis shows up in other indies now and then, but takes a moral stance on never signing with anyone big if they offered.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I saw Horowitz/Candido at a house show a few months before the upset. Bodydonna vignettes were airing on tv but Skip hadn’t had his televised debut yet. The match turned out great and Horowitz did a great job getting the crowd into the match despite being the most recognizable jobber aside from Brooklyn Brawler.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Nystral posted:

he wasn't a big name, but a whim earlier today made me find out that Shynron apparently still exists in South America, as Zenshi

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

he wasn't a big name, but a whim earlier today made me find out that Shynron apparently still exists in South America, as Zenshi

Didn't Zenshi wrestle for MLW here and there? I know Ultramantis showed up in ROH for a minute but I think he's more than happy to book shows with LVAC and not interact with the business outside of that.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any coherent origin story for that awful Cody "Daddy Eats First" shirt?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Didn't Zenshi wrestle for MLW here and there? I know Ultramantis showed up in ROH for a minute but I think he's more than happy to book shows with LVAC and not interact with the business outside of that.

Yeah zenshi was in battle riot

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nystral posted:

Hallowicked/Frightmare has done shots for GCW and ROH. Kimberlee is in Impact.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

These are all great, thank you!!!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Amasis really tried to get signed to no luck

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

And this just reminded me that for a weird period in 2010/2011 Jonathan Gresham was a member of the Osirian Portal

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

fez_machine posted:

I guess a better way of saying it would've been "was Horowitz considered to be talented beyond his spot on the card?"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

just for fun I decided to look through the Chikara title holders (Young Lion's Cup, Campeonatos de Parejas, Grand Champion) to see who had gone on to greater glory, and there are an impressive number of names who have gone on to larger companies or greater reknown.

Young Lions Cup:

Chuck Taylor - AEW
Helios (Ricochet) - WWE
Fire Ant (Orange Cassidy) - AEW
Player Dos (Stu Grayson) - AEW
Tadasuke - Pro Wrestling NOAH
Heidi Lovelace (Ruby Soho) - WWE and AEW
Sylverhawk (Wheeler Yuta) - AEW and New Japan

I'd also say that Still Life With Apricots And pears (Edith Surreal) could easily get signed by someone big in the next year or so.

Grand Champion

Eddie Kingston - AEW
Kimber Lee - Impact

Campeonatos de Parejas

Chris Hero and Claudio Castignoli (Kassius Ohno and Cesaro) - WWE
Player Uno and Player Dos (Evil Uno and Stu Grayson) - AEW
Fire Ant and Soldier Ant (Orange Cassidy and Drew Gulak) - AEW and WWE
Team FIST (Chuck Taylor and Johnny Gargano) - AEW and WWE
3.0 (2.0) - AEW
The Young Bucks - AEW
The Shard (John Silver) - AEW
Moustache Mountain (Tyler Bate and Trent Seven) - WWE

I'd also say that Willow Nightingale, who was half of the last holders of this title, could very easily get signed by AEW as people respond to her well.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah zenshi was in battle riot

i have so much to catch up on. Shynron blew me away at a random Massachusetts Chikara show and then i just just track of him

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What ever happened to Wrestlecircus? I remember watching it briefly before I fell out of Wrestling again before AEW kicked off, apparently it dead now. Seemed like a good show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Zenshi had a pretty decent MLW stint last year. He was just in a really fun 5-way ladder match in November.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

What ever happened to Wrestlecircus? I remember watching it briefly before I fell out of Wrestling again before AEW kicked off, apparently it dead now. Seemed like a good show.

owner ran out of money and lied about having funding for the last show that never took place

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Seems like the only remotely interesting thing from the Royal Rumble this year was Mickie James coming out with the Impact knockouts title. In what other instances has WWF/E shown another promotion's title belt? Here's a few I can think of.

Ric Flair as "Real" World Champion with the WCW title but they got a cease and desist and started showing him with a different belt and blurred it on broadcasts.

I think Dan Severn as NWA champion in a Jim Cornette led NWA "Invasion" angle.

Tazz had the ECW title for a short period while under WWE contract. If I remember correctly he jobbed to HHH badly and HHH made a promo saying "ECW sucks" so lol.

Any other notable occurrences?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Tazz had the ECW title for a short period while under WWE contract. If I remember correctly he jobbed to HHH badly and HHH made a promo saying "ECW sucks" so lol.

That's not how I remember it. It has been a long time, but if my memory serves:

Mike Awesome was ECW champ and took the belt to WCW when they offered him a huge contract. This naturally pissed off everyone in ECW, and they had to work out a deal for Awesome to drop the ECW title to someone who was, well, in ECW.

Somehow this deal came to involve Tazz, who was in WWE at the time. WWE agreed to let them use Tazz to beat Awesome for the belt at an ECW event (or maybe an indie?) and then Tazz would show the ECW title on WWE, wrestle champ vs champ with HHH, then drop the belt to Rhino a week later.

Thing is, Tazz got to cut a good promo against HHH and had a pretty good match with him. As I recall, neither guy won and it was basically the strongest Tazz ever looked in WWE.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

rujasu posted:

As I recall, neither guy won and it was basically the strongest Tazz ever looked in WWE.

Triple H won, though there may have been a ref distraction in there. Vince later admitted that it was a bad decision in retrospect.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

NWA-Tag Titles where defended on RAW and lost to the Head Bangers.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Gavok posted:

Triple H won, though there may have been a ref distraction in there. Vince later admitted that it was a bad decision in retrospect.

HHH went over pretty much everyone then, so that doesn't surprise me too much.

Also when I say it was the strongest Tazz ever looked in WWE, that's still true, he was a chump for almost his entire run there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't he get tossed out of the Rumble in ten seconds one year after his debut?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was a span where every week on Raw had a Taz match and every one ended the same, Taz put the Tazmission on someone, they mule kicked him in the nuts and beat him

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The strongest Tazz looked in WWE was his debut, giving Kurt Angle his first loss.

But as to whether he looked strong in the HHH match, I'll admit my memory could be wrong.

Edit: The full match is on YouTube. It's not a burial or anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY6kw0P1XIc

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 31, 2022

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

rujasu posted:

That's not how I remember it. It has been a long time, but if my memory serves:

Mike Awesome was ECW champ and took the belt to WCW when they offered him a huge contract. This naturally pissed off everyone in ECW, and they had to work out a deal for Awesome to drop the ECW title to someone who was, well, in ECW.

Somehow this deal came to involve Tazz, who was in WWE at the time. WWE agreed to let them use Tazz to beat Awesome for the belt at an ECW event (or maybe an indie?) and then Tazz would show the ECW title on WWE, wrestle champ vs champ with HHH, then drop the belt to Rhino a week later.

Thing is, Tazz got to cut a good promo against HHH and had a pretty good match with him. As I recall, neither guy won and it was basically the strongest Tazz ever looked in WWE.

Tazz ended Kurt Angle's undefeated streak in his debut.

That's pretty decent. And a great moment.

Also lead to Kurt waking up backstage, asking if he'd won.

EFB

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hellblazer187 posted:

Seems like the only remotely interesting thing from the Royal Rumble this year was Mickie James coming out with the Impact knockouts title. In what other instances has WWF/E shown another promotion's title belt? Here's a few I can think of.

Ric Flair as "Real" World Champion with the WCW title but they got a cease and desist and started showing him with a different belt and blurred it on broadcasts.

I think Dan Severn as NWA champion in a Jim Cornette led NWA "Invasion" angle.

They had the Smokey Mountain Tag Team titles defended, and change hands, on WWF programming.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was a funny quote by Taz about that Kurt Angle match, where as soon as he heard the reaction he knew he was doomed because no one in WWE was going to let him be that over

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Another funny story about that match is Kurt Angle going to Mick Foley worried that Taz was going to shoot on him because he completely believed Taz's gimmick and asking what he should do if it happens.

Mick was just like "you're an Olympic gold medalist in actual wrestling..."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

Oh, yes. He was trained by Boris "The Great" Malenko, Dean's dad and wrestled for FSU in college. He even won the NWA North American Heavyweight Championship but Florida but the CWF was on its way out as a territory by that time. I remember his run in Global as their light heavyweight division very fondly and he even beat a young Jerry Lynn for the belt once. If you think to yourself 'why, he seems to have a lot more success in smaller promotions, why didn't he just stay there' remember that the territories were all but dead at that point - Global was kind of a weird aberration, being a random small company to have ESPN airtime - and by Barry's own admission he made more jobbing in the WWF where the only hard part was the travel.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, yes. He was trained by Boris "The Great" Malenko, Dean's dad and wrestled for FSU in college. He even won the NWA North American Heavyweight Championship but Florida but the CWF was on its way out as a territory by that time. I remember his run in Global as their light heavyweight division very fondly and he even beat a young Jerry Lynn for the belt once. If you think to yourself 'why, he seems to have a lot more success in smaller promotions, why didn't he just stay there' remember that the territories were all but dead at that point - Global was kind of a weird aberration, being a random small company to have ESPN airtime - and by Barry's own admission he made more jobbing in the WWF where the only hard part was the travel.

Thanks, I remember seeing short clips of him in Florida but I didn't know any of the backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there a story behind how IWCCW got a national TV deal in the 90s? Any wrestling TV outside of WWF/WCW was pretty hard to come by at the time, so I remember being surprised to see another promotion show up on public access late at night.