Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ChickenDoodle posted:

Openly waving the Nazi flag should be a threat of violence, because it is. It’s threatening Jews, homosexuals, and any other non-Aryan with extermination.
:agreed:
Similarly, I feel a miniscule fraction of this when I see jackasses flying the skull and crossbones on their boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah I feel any use of that flag outside of a museum...

I went to an air force museum I thought handled it really well.

It was just in drawers and stuff that were clearly labelled essentially "here is Nazi poo poo we took off the ones we killed, look if you want."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelRdrguez/status/1488209166782980096

Looks like the cops forgot tow trucks are a thing.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

"Look, we can only use force when it's minorities, not white racists we agree with."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Remember when a dozen Wet'suwet'en parked a car across a road on their land and were removed the next day by cops with dogs and snipers and drones? Lol this country is a joke.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Cocaine Bear posted:

Remember when a dozen Wet'suwet'en parked a car across a road on their land and were removed the next day by cops with dogs and snipers and drones? Lol this country is a joke.

Yeah didn't they pass a law specifically about protestors blocking major infrastructure?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
When any remotely leftwing protestor disrupts traffic (usually not nearly as bad as that) those same people are the first ones howling on social media that they should be run over and killed lol

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Cocaine Bear posted:

Don't forget they also threatened and detained any journalists who bothered to cover it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I don't know if I'm just hand-wringing or something but I kinda wish that instead of people across the nation donating to a single homeless shelter in Ottawa they'd take that goodwill, or at least a part of it and donate to their local organizations instead. I'm sure at this point they've gotten enough cash to keep operating in perpetuity.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Maneck posted:

They haven't beaten anyone up. Or apparently threatened anyone. Claiming that their protests have not been peaceful, or even have been violent, seems like a trap wherein all protests will be considered violent and not peaceful.

Lol this is three posts below the announcement that they threw rocks at an ambulance.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Yep. I had thought the ambulance thing was fake. That was the other ambulance thing. Someone actually threw rocks at an ambulance. And racial slurs.

Which takes things from "non-violent" to "violent things a villain does in bad fiction for the sole reason of illustrating he is the bad guy".

Maneck fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 31, 2022

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Surely at some point we have to call in the Michaels.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol this is three posts below the announcement that they threw rocks at an ambulance.

And on the same page where we were discussing the homeless shelter where people were harassed with racial slurs, threatened and assaulted

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, they are protesting for the end of public health mandates, which is fundamentally an act of violence towards those people the public health mandates exist to protect.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PT6A posted:

Also, they are protesting for the end of public health mandates, which is fundamentally an act of violence towards those people the public health mandates exist to protect.

They're also largely provincial in nature. I suppose one could make the argument that there are mandates in all of the provinces so getting national attention gets the point across everywhere, but the main message seems to just be "gently caress Trudeau."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

HackensackBackpack posted:

They're also largely provincial in nature

I understood the primary complaint of this protest (in name anyway) to be the federally-imposed mandates on everyone crossing the border into Canada

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

flakeloaf posted:

I understood the primary complaint of this protest (in name anyway) to be the federally-imposed mandates on everyone crossing the border into Canada

Their supposed MOU to the government is to instruct the GG and the Senate to end all mandates federally, provincially, and municipally.

I think the cross-border issue started this thing, but it quickly morphed into basically a "don't do anything to stop Covid anymore" protest.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ahh, that... well I mean it makes absolutely no sense, but it makes the thing you said make sense

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

flakeloaf posted:

This is just as stupid as mistaken provincial mandates for federal because even though the border crossing mandate is federal the USA has the same mandate so even if Canada removed theirs these idiots would still be unable to do cross border trips because of the laws in the states.
These fuckheads say they want JT to repel all mandates (as well resign and die in disgrace or something) but even if Canada did that it would still be the same situation and they are just too stupid to realize this.

edit: lol at these morons supporting the idea that the federal government tells provinces what to do. I am sure they have thought this through very thoroughly and are okay with the Feds telling Alberta what they can and cannot do.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Lol there's at least some talk of suing the organisers of the GoFundMe for the costs of the policing.

(Apparently a tweet by Mathieu Fleury, who's tweets are now protected, presumably due to death threats or something.)

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/trucker-convoy-traffic-disruption-continue-downtown-as-mayor-urges-protesters-to-leave

quote:

In a tweet, Fleury said: “This morning, I have asked the city manager and city solicitor to immediately launch court proceedings targeting the millions of dollars in funds frozen by @GoFundMe so Ottawa taxpayers are not left holding the bag for these protests.”

The other thing I've been laughing at is how these assholes keep referring to themselves as the "fringe minority" (quotes theirs). Yes, all indications are that's exactly what you are. Oh? That was an attempt at sarcasm? Oh...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/downdetector/status/1488250214465122310

whoopsie

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We can't look at houses??

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Can't break the law when you've been offered carte blanche

https://twitter.com/CBCOttawa/status/1488205027160305668?t=eieyE7PwDthcK2dVLHbQVA&s=19

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Wait gently caress that's not the radio one.

STOP YELLING AT ME I'M NOT THAT OLD

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Somebody at AWS tripped on a powerbar and just caused more of an economic disruption than a bunch of free agent truckers who are otherwise unemployable and their nazi friends who have been trying to cause economic disruption for days but instead have taken to throwing rocks at ambulances.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Madkal posted:

lol at these morons supporting the idea that the federal government tells provinces what to do

Are you somehow surprised that the cargo-culting of all things American thinks the Supremacy Clause somehow applies to Canada, despite our constitution basically saying the opposite?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Theres something different about these konvoyers

But I can't white put my finger on it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Madkal posted:

edit: lol at these morons supporting the idea that the federal government tells provinces what to do. I am sure they have thought this through very thoroughly and are okay with the Feds telling Alberta what they can and cannot do.

No, they give the Premieres a free pass because most are conservative.

This is just another gently caress Trudeau RWNJ temper tantrum.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

On the other hand:

quote:

At the same time, police chief Peter Sloly said Sunday the downtown area could be back to normal within the next couple of days.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said on CTV Morning Live Monday that “it’s time for them to move on.”

“The public are completely fed up, as am I. We would love to see them go tomorrow. We think they should have gone yesterday.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/trucker-convoy-traffic-disruption-continue-downtown-as-mayor-urges-protesters-to-leave

That sounds a lot like a deadline to me.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

loving lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's disappointing to see how absolutely dickless the cops are when it comes to dealing with angry white men.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

It's disappointing to see how absolutely dickless the cops are when it comes to dealing with angry white men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tYZkJ2p54

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm not going to go to bat for the police in general, but Peter Sloly in particular was considered to be a pretty good one here in Toronto. He was pushing internally for significant reform across the board and with how TPS deals with racialized minorities, and I think it's pretty likely that's why he got the boot and left for Ottawa.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 8, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

flakeloaf posted:

Wait gently caress that's not the radio one.

STOP YELLING AT ME I'M NOT THAT OLD

lmao

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm honestly way more captivated by the shitshow unfolding at Coutts. Small group of truckers blocking a critical border crossing (in contravention of the recent Protect Are Infrastructure from Indians and Environmentalists bill), the government is allegedly telling the RCMP to disperse them, the RCMP deciding they would prefer not to, that one MLA showing up to show his grandkids the noble truckers.

It is the perfect expression of the idiocy in this province and the complete ineptitude of the UCP and RCMP.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

PittTheElder posted:

I'm honestly way more captivated by the shitshow unfolding at Coutts. Small group of truckers blocking a critical border crossing (in contravention of the recent Protect Are Infrastructure from Indians and Environmentalists bill), the government is allegedly telling the RCMP to disperse them, the RCMP deciding they would prefer not to, that one MLA showing up to show his grandkids the noble truckers.

It is the perfect expression of the idiocy in this province and the complete ineptitude of the UCP and RCMP.

yeah it seems way more disruptive to capital than just making GBS threads on ottawa locals

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

The Chief of Police basically said that the people in the convoy have threatened to run over police officers who attempt to interfere.

I just don't see what can be done to stop this now. They'll ignore fines, police can't take direct action without being harmed, we can't just give them what they want... What can anyone do?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

St. Dogbert posted:

I just don't see what can be done to stop this now.

Tell the cops that the drivers in the trucks look like they might be indigenous.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
A lotta South Asian truckers in Canada, and I thought this interview about why they turned their back on the Ottawa protests says a lot.

https://www.tvo.org/article/we-cant-be-a-part-of-such-a-campaign-manan-gupta-on-south-asian-truckers-and-the-freedom-convoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

St. Dogbert posted:

The Chief of Police basically said that the people in the convoy have threatened to run over police officers who attempt to interfere.

I just don't see what can be done to stop this now. They'll ignore fines, police can't take direct action without being harmed, we can't just give them what they want... What can anyone do?

They're the loving police their entire goddamn thing is being jackbooted thugs. This is nonsense