Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Gay uncle caveman theory is literally how gayness was explained in my GCSE psychology class when we were doing sexuality. Either it must have been a general belief or my teacher was reading Thorsby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

okay here you go

I still can't believe that there was a good Flintstones comic

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Chatrapati posted:

Gay uncle caveman theory is literally how gayness was explained in my GCSE psychology class when we were doing sexuality. Either it must have been a general belief or my teacher was reading Thorsby.

Hmm. Did your teacher have a norwegian accent? Were they fond of garish colours?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's weird, I only ever saw him in profile and his head was huge.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Today's Fingerpori got a :lol: out of me:

:laffo:
Joke delivers as expected

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think part of why Thornsby's theory is "okay" is because he's looking at it (and trying to explain it) with a very rudimentary level of understanding, but it's not malicious.

He's asking "If gay people don't have children*, and being gay is a genetic trait, why hasn't the trait been bred out?" It's not the much worse "Being gay is genetic, how do we find and eliminate the gay gene?".

*His theory also presupposes that gay people are incapable of having children, and/or that no gay person would ever enter into a hetero relationship/marriage for safety and would produce children to keep up appearances.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

good thing that thing works with the autopilot off

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

CzarChasm posted:

*His theory also presupposes that gay people are incapable of having children, and/or that no gay person would ever enter into a hetero relationship/marriage for safety and would produce children to keep up appearances.

I think his assumption is that in the evolutionary history of humans there's really no reason for discrimination against homosexuality in the parts before organized religion and toxic masculinity. If the gay gene was going to die out from lack of reproduction he figures it would have been before anyone even left Africa.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Another industry destroyed by millennials.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hnnnnggggggggh

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Just wanna say thanks to Paladinus for posting cat loaf, it almost never fails to bring a smile for me :)

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Not one of my gay uncles is a caveman and I'm furious

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Tree Bucket posted:

What about the bottoms?

HA

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You are wheat-come.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.advocate.com/news/daily-news/2010/02/05/study-supports-gay-super-uncles-theory

"Gay uncle theory" is an actual scientific hypothesis that has been the subject of empirical studies. It's not something Thorsby invented.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hitmen for Destiny #433: Sizeable slug

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #434: Flapping fast

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #435: Wizard's wisdom

Bodycount: 179 181
+slug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+would-be wizard tutor

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Jan 31, 2022

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Bodycount: 179 181
+Blow bubble slug
+would-be wizard tutor

I think the slug is fine, although that bubble is definitely dead.

Also please stop posting my Nethack bone files.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Amorphous Abode posted:

I think the slug is fine, although that bubble is definitely dead.

Also please stop posting my Nethack bone files.

whoops you're right! -1 to the kill count

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The slug in comic #434 certainly appears to have been killed.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

The slug in comic #434 certainly appears to have been killed.

goddammit you're right

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The wizard definitely taught Annette an important lesson that saved her life, guess the next ruler of Europe will be a wizard corpse.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

The wizard definitely taught Annette an important lesson that saved her life, guess the next ruler of Europe will be a wizard corpse.

Business as usual for Europe, then.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
i thought the sight gags couldn't get funnier than ending on a slug blowing a bubble but then then i saw the hosed up wizard

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

i thought the sight gags couldn't get funnier than ending on a slug blowing a bubble but then then i saw the hosed up wizard

Turn on your monitor

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

flaming cross animated gif

the village people meet james bond

can you itemize a nightmare vs. a scream

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

e-dt posted:

flaming cross animated gif

Weirdly prescient. Or maybe the internet was just always like that.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The fact that Annette got stung by that flower earlier, and then we didn't immediately get a comic explaining in detail how that flower kills people and/or defends itself with a hyper-specific venom, is honestly incredibly foreboding.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I feel like I already know the answer by the vast love of Thorsby comics, but do you like it when the magic system is very explained, or like "it's magic."

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Somewhere in between for me, but closer to "it's magic." I like the magic to be magic, but follow consistent rules that don't necessarily have to be explained, just followed in universe. It's also okay for the rules to change as needed every now and then or to be bent/broken as long as it's cool or fun or interesting or (least importantly) justified.

As an example, one of my favorite comics, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, has a small set of rules for stands (one stand per person, each stand can do One Thing, only stand users can see stands, only a stand can hurt a stand) that are occasionally bent or broken in some cases, e.g. one villain in a later part ends up getting three stands total but only one at a time, the part 4 villain has a stand that has One Main Thing (anything it touches turns into a bomb he can blow up at will) but also has a little remote control tank in his hand because it's cool and dangerous and why the hell not. In rare cases non-stand users can see a stand if it's bound to something physical. So the exceptions are usually pretty interesting and have a reason behind them

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

The fact that Annette got stung by that flower earlier, and then we didn't immediately get a comic explaining in detail how that flower kills people and/or defends itself with a hyper-specific venom, is honestly incredibly foreboding.

Things like that are the Chekhov's gun of Thorsby stories. You know there is going to be some bizarre consequence from something like a character getting pricked by a thorn, but you also know that it's likely impossible to guess what it will be ahead of time.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

I feel like I already know the answer by the vast love of Thorsby comics, but do you like it when the magic system is very explained, or like "it's magic."

I very much enjoy either. Incredibly detailed magic systems are inherently fun to wrap my brain around, for the same reason I enjoy learning the rules to board games. But presenting magic as obscure and even unknowable, allows a fictional world to carry a lot more dramatic weight, and makes magic feel much more like magic.

Just spitballing here, but... not consistency, but meta-consistency, be consistent about whether magic is consistent: If rules are clearly defined, too many exceptions to those rules will make it feel trite, and if magic is mysterious, reproducing the same effects in the same ways too many times will diminish it.

My favorite stories featuring magic, are ones where it's really clear that the author has a very vivid sense of what they want magic to be like, in this story, and they evoke that well.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Jan 31, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think you don’t necessarily need to lay everything out and have a bunch of exposition on how it works, but if magic is going to be an important part of the setting you the author need to know how it works and have consistent rules for what magic is capable of.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I kind of want to release a physical book on how the magic in my world works but

A.) Who the gently caress would buy it lmao

B.) Once it's released its released unerring and unchangeable

I have this whole system based on the idea that any point in the stories history there are just universally accepted facts about magic, that are untrue but work, and that basically everyone has their own understanding of magic, and codify it to try and understand it, but the only ones who can truly master it are people who love themselves. Which ends up being intensely frustrating to academics. I don't know why I constantly want to make fun of academics, but it's probably because most of my friends are teachers, scientists, lab assistants and what not, and I like memeing with them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Magic needs to be consistent and follow its setting's established internal rules; the worst plot twists are the ones that just don't make sense either before or after they happen because they defy the framing of the story. Like if a gritty noir drama ended with the main character suddenly addressing the camera person and asking if they'd also been filming the villain's scenes... okay that actually could be kinda cool, but it wouldn't be a satisfying ending.

Note: internal rules can be "magic is whatever a wizard wants it to be," that's allowed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"Magic can do a lot but that thing is just not part of the magical world order." The main character proceeds to do it, because he's just that good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

B.) Once it's released its released unerring and unchangeable

Nah this is easy imo. Have it be written by a character from the world, then if you decide to change something or do something different, it's just something that character wasn't aware of

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Throsby is really good at keeping his rules and setting consistent and believable for sure.

The idea of an animal that creates explosive bubbles by mixing two gases together that will detonate on contact with oxygen isn't really something that could ever happen, but it's pretty believable within his setting. Most people can think up a chemistry experiment that could work something like that, who's to say this fictional frog couldn't do it?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I like Throsby's thing of scenes that look totally mad, but actually posses order and logic. It's the opposite of how things really work, I suppose

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

An image that kept springing to mind when thinking how I was going to answer Boba Pearl's question, was the comic Necropolis. (One of those comics that's stopped updating for years and revived briefly several times, which may come back some day but will probably never finish. But possibly my favorite comic in that category.)

I don't actually think it's a perfect example of anything we're talking about, but I'm suddenly considering posting it here from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm suddenly considering posting it here from the beginning.

I would certainly be happy to see more