Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The tech nerd in me really wants someone to make a truly good movie in high framerate. That side of me is still convinced that the two most well known examples, Hobbit and Gemini Man, were both significantly flawed productions to begin with which got lumped in with criticism of the feel of the higher framerate.

I do feel like a lot of the issue is similar to when local news started to go HD and their crews all had to learn the hard way which shortcuts they couldn't get away with anymore. Likewise higher framerates give away a lot of tricks that you could hide in the motion blur at 24 FPS.

That said at the same time I've recently started mountain biking and when filming my rides I can't deny that while the higher framerates are great for slow motion shots there is just something that feels comfortable about 24 FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If you read up about Ang Lee’s process on both Gemini Man and Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, he’s very aware of that aspect of filming in HFR and worked hard to mitigate it.

It just seems really hard to work with and not worth the effort for narrative fiction

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

tehinternet posted:

I get what you’re saying, but the only semi-alternative is Reddit and that’s not really an alternative at all being as it’s upvote based.

Yeah i prefer death to a forum that doesn't use chronological posting by default.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

codo27 posted:

Frequenting threads like this makes me question the very nature of the internet forum. OPs quickly become obsolete or ineffective, we need stickies that appear at the top of every page to cut down on "what x should I buy" questions. You can still have the discourse for the more intricate details but the same questions that are asked daily should have their answers provided more readily

I kinda like just having the same discussions semi-frequently. It's fun to talk about stuff.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'd be more inclined to give people some leeway with the old fashioned slow mo filming, if literally anyone could come up with a defense for it besides "its what I'm used to", the absolute worst excuse for anything in the world

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah i prefer death to a forum that doesn't use chronological posting by default.

Same, friend.

This thread and the monitor thread have provided a decent education in hardware and display tech (even the people who post bad information). I really enjoy coming here and seeing what the Smart Goons are posting because it’s usually informative and helpful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
And I believe context to be important. Sorting by the most popular post seems tailor-made for promoting disingenuous arguments.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
An updated OP is likely the best remedy but even then, you have to approach it from both the direction of "My 32" CRT just died what are these new connectors for?" And "the C3 is supporting AtSC 3.0 :aaa:"

It's a hard needle to thread.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There was a brief period a few years back when to lighten load on the database threads were closed after 1000 posts and I didn't mind it since there's not much value to seeing people ask which 2015 model TV they should buy in 2022. That said I'm also not a huge fan of "blessed" models, tier lists and the like that are popular elsewhere. I'm fine with people asking basic questions even if it does get redundant.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Broke: 2.0 stereo
Woke: 3.2 surround

GoAT: 9.2.6 Dolby HiFiATMOS:X

Pair ONLY with an LG OLED serial number ending in MX028 to achieve a true richness of sound and video.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

codo27 posted:

I'd be more inclined to give people some leeway with the old fashioned slow mo filming, if literally anyone could come up with a defense for it besides "its what I'm used to", the absolute worst excuse for anything in the world
I feel like this is a monthly post for you where you say this and people post a list of reasons and then you say the same thing a month later. Like maybe you disagree, but people keep giving you more than that reason.

FilthyImp posted:

1) The Hobbit showed us that audiences are able to better spot shortcomings, which translates to a worse experience.

2) (personal opinion) it's harder to believe all the Movie Magic BS (like Will Smith falling off a roof and getting back up to run) when everything looks hyperreal.

3) I think that we'll need to develop new tools (both cinematic and in terms of audio) to handle the added realism. I just watched the Gemini Man chase in Cartagena and a lot of the car audio sounded canned.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean, I don’t really have to. If HFR was effective for movies, directors (whether up and coming or experienced hands) would be tripping over themselves to shoot in it. In reality, it’s a ton harder and more expensive to produce and there’s been virtually no market pushing for it. Just because something is possible it doesn’t mean it’s a necessity.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, I’d love to see high frame rate content but the points against it are unfortunately valid right now.

Which sucks.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
In my experience, HFR is great for action scenes filmed entirely in-camera, but the moment you insert CGI or other complicated VFX it becomes very unconvincing/noticeable. 24p and its associated motion blur give VFX artists so much more wiggle room.

Basically make a kung fu movie in HFR is what I’m saying.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
See, I thought the CGI in HFR The Hobbit looked fantastic, and that scenes with high-contrast lighting (like lit by campfire) looked less "I'm watching the world's most expensive stage production."

I was also loving around with frame interpolation when watching The Spy Who Came in from the Cold the other day, and weirdly it wasn't nearly as off-putting as it seems to be when I'm watching non-B&W films. I don't know if it's again a contrast thing, or maybe just that I've watched so little B&W television that it doesn't psychologically trigger the soap-opera connection in my brain.

(It was my first watch of that film, incidentally. At some point I picked up a number of Criterion discs of "films I probably should see but haven't," and this was one of them.)

But because I'm an intellectually lazy man who is easy to entertain, I naturally followed it up with an old favorite.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Raiders is one of the greatest achievements in American cinema history

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Vizio 55" OLED $1000 shipped

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

codo27 posted:

Raiders is one of the greatest achievements in American cinema history
Agreed, and that ain't bad either. (It's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Big TV for cheap. Best Buy has the 70" TCL 4 series Android TV version for $500
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-70-class-4-series-led-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-android-tv/6481727.p?skuId=6481727

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I should have just bought that A8H OLED last week. Sigh.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Big TV for cheap. Best Buy has the 70" TCL 4 series Android TV version for $500
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-70-class-4-series-led-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-android-tv/6481727.p?skuId=6481727

What's the advantages and disadvantages of an android TV? I have the TCL Roku but I haven't heard about the other options.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What causes something like this? My tv has one in the same spot as the bottom most right one. Not as bad as that but I still faintly see it. Is it something I could reasonably fix or improve myself?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

What causes something like this? My tv has one in the same spot as the bottom most right one. Not as bad as that but I still faintly see it. Is it something I could reasonably fix or improve myself?

Those are spider egg sacs. You have to open the back of your TV to remove them. Be careful, because the change in pressure can cause them to rupture, showering tiny spiders everywhere. Having a large shop vac to suck them all up immediately upon opening is highly recommended.

those are LEDs that have died. Not really fixable by yourself, but would be likely covered if still under warranty

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m off warranty. Wonder if it would make economic sense to repair. I don’t mind attempting myself unless it’s ridiculously hard.

Is it possible it could be something else for mine?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 30, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A couple things I’m not a fan of with the C1 or maybe just need guidance with:

- I can’t seem to find any Bluetooth options, or way to stop other devices connecting to my TV. With my last TV, it asked me if I wanted to accept or deny them, but with this one my housemate accidentally connected to it and it just…..played whatever YouTube video he was trying to show his wife without asking me.

- A lot of the time when watching something via USB or on a console it doesn’t note the style and change accordingly. For instance, I tested out a Dolby Vision mkv file and it knew that it was HDR but not that it was DV so it was all green and poo poo. And when I’m playing discs in my Xbox it doesn’t change from the game enhancer mode - this might be down to the console itself, but it’s still a pain.

Other than those things I’m still basically spending my time in awe at how beautiful it is and how great everything looks on it

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m off warranty. Wonder if it would make economic sense to repair. I don’t mind attempting myself unless it’s ridiculously hard.

Is it possible it could be something else for mine?

If the spot is faint enough, it might be regular old dirty screen effect ('DSE'). If that's the case, I think your options are get used to it or buy a new TV with less panel variance.

If it's something that popped up recently, then yeah, probably an LED failure.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Space Racist posted:

If the spot is faint enough, it might be regular old dirty screen effect ('DSE'). If that's the case, I think your options are get used to it or buy a new TV with less panel variance.

If it's something that popped up recently, then yeah, probably an LED failure.

I’m thinking it’s maybe that but isn’t that normally closer to the center of the tv? It definitely hasn’t just appeared. I’m just noticing it more.

Edit:

Maybe I should actually post a photo for reference.:downs:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 30, 2022

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Lmao

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thank you for that.:lol:

But seriously, what’s wrong with my tv. I really like it other than this.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 31, 2022

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I tested out a Dolby Vision mkv file and it knew that it was HDR but not that it was DV so it was all green and poo poo.

It does not support Dolby Vision in mkv. Only mp4 and only the streaming versions.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

I bought an OLED TV about ~4 years ago and have done literally nothing to it besides clean the screen once or twice. :confused:

What brings me ttt (to this thread): is there some reasonable distance limit for HDMI? For the last year I was using 3x 6' HDMI cables; one from the receiver to a wall jack, one between wall jacks, and one from the wall jack to the TV. This worked pretty well until about maybe a month ago, when my TV would go "no signal" randomly. I'd just unplug and plug in, and that'd clear it up. Starting last night, it pretty much doesn't work at all anymore.

Googling suggests 25', but I know, generally speaking, couplers always introduce some amount of degrade. I tested every single cable I have, and they all are apparently good. I then tried them all with the couplers (all 8!), and nothing worked. I also tried this with the cabling not running though the wall in case there was some sort of EMI, and no difference. This is also 12' instead of 18'. The TV would recognize a signal, sometimes, but nothing would actually display. They are just Amazon Basics cables, for what it's worth. Do I need to buy a 10' cable and just run that directly through the wall instead of using the jacks/couplers? Is there something else that could be happening here? I have the receiver connected directly to the TV right now via one of those 6' cables, and it's fine so far.

Here is my follow up for all who have been waiting! I bought a 15' cable which is substantially thicker, and it works fine. I guess the 3x 6' eventually just gave out. Sad. Hopefully my TV isn't next to go.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Are there any goons running super long HDMI cables for their set-up? I'm talking 25 feet (7.62 meters) or more.

I'm curious if that's working well or has any caveats in real-world scenarios as having my consoles in a different room would mean better protection from my kid and others while not forgoing proper ventilation.

Thanks

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

a buddy of mine has a fiber optic 100ft cable going from his basement to his living room, and it works fine. I think for HDMI 2.1 stuff you need fiber over 10? 25? some distance or it won't work right, but I think for HDMI 2.0 you're gravy all the way to 100ft plus with most any cable

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
15ft is the maximum for 4k/120 for regular copper hdmi, but at that length it reportedly can be iffy. I'm using a 30ft Monoprice active optical cable and haven't run into any technical issues.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HONKER24 posted:

Are there any goons running super long HDMI cables for their set-up? I'm talking 25 feet (7.62 meters) or more.

I'm curious if that's working well or has any caveats in real-world scenarios as having my consoles in a different room would mean better protection from my kid and others while not forgoing proper ventilation.

Thanks

I'm using this 10 meter/33 foot Cable Matters fiber optic cable to connect my PC with a 3070 to a LG CX and it works great, 4K120, HDR, and VRR all work as expected. It also works for connecting my Vive link box up in the living room.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-300047-BLK-10m-HDMI/dp/B08GMC7C91/

As noted, 15 feet is the practical limit for copper. Moving up to fiber is an expensive step but once you're there longer cables tend to be surprisingly cheap because all the cost is in the ends.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Tatsuta Age posted:

a buddy of mine has a fiber optic 100ft cable going from his basement to his living room, and it works fine. I think for HDMI 2.1 stuff you need fiber over 10? 25? some distance or it won't work right, but I think for HDMI 2.0 you're gravy all the way to 100ft plus with most any cable

it's me

For more than like 15 feet you want fiber for HDMI 2.1, specifically https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08XLPX5Z7 or the in wall equivalent. Plug it into your source and TV directly. If you want other boxes in between be prepared to be annoyed. If you're doing 2.0b there's a lot more options.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
We have the LG C1, the newest Apple TV 4K, and the Denon AVR-S760H. This Anker cable is running both from the Apple TV to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV and we get noticeable lip sync issues (video ahead of audio).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MZYQ43S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_FV30QC3YFMWDDXYXY03Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Otherwise everything works great (PS5, mainly), but… this cable should be good enough to not have any sync issues, right?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Are there any decent TV price aggregator sites?

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Thanks for the input on the long HDMi runs.

This is now back on the list of my "To Do"s right next to building my firewood rack and putting a POE router in the attic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Grimmeh posted:

We have the LG C1, the newest Apple TV 4K, and the Denon AVR-S760H. This Anker cable is running both from the Apple TV to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV and we get noticeable lip sync issues (video ahead of audio).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MZYQ43S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_FV30QC3YFMWDDXYXY03Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Otherwise everything works great (PS5, mainly), but… this cable should be good enough to not have any sync issues, right?

Have you tried plugging the Apple TV directly to the C1 and sending audio to the receiver via eARC?