Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Robobot posted:

They have. A few times.

Those were obviously fake. Please keep up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Robobot posted:

They have. A few times.

Not recently

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Not recently

In terms of all of human history, it was actually quite recent thankyouverymuchIsaygooddaytoyousirISAIDGOODDAY!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I wonder if there's a conspiracy theory that the first one was fake to trick Russia, but the subsequent ones were real, or that the first one was real, but the astronauts died or something and the subsequent ones were faked.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They should land on the moon every four years, like the Olympics. Every country with a space program takes a turn. And they can compete over which country has the coolest spacesuits or does the sickest moonbuggy stunts.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Gripweed posted:

The government should prove the moon landing was real by doing it again.
Why? Just so you/someone can complain about them not spending money on roads? Why wouldn't you demand Netflix/Hulu/HBO provide you with a corporate reality show on the moon?

How much is it worth to you? Taxman go :homebrew:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Girls wasn't good or funny. It's at best mediocre and the only character that you can get a consistent laugh from is Estelle Getty. I'm tired of shows like it getting memed into semi ironic appreciation by people nowadays.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Golden Girls wasn't good or funny. It's at best mediocre and the only character that you can get a consistent laugh from is Estelle Getty. I'm tired of shows like it getting memed into semi ironic appreciation by people nowadays.

Wow this is a gem - it's unpopular and also bad !

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

?

Shibawanko posted:

Asexuality is usually just a form of denial and fear of attachment or the result of depression or stress or something. Not a real orientation except maybe rarely. It's nothing like being gay or intersex or anything like that.

Shibawanko posted:

akira is well made but its also boring poo poo about some kids on motorcycles shouting at robots

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yes, yes, you’re both assholes, glad we could figure this out

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaius Marius posted:

Golden Girls is funny, but I absolutely can't stand watching it because Dorothy is constantly mean to Rose and I hate it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Digital zoom has been an awful thing from the start, it hasn't evolved well at all in like twenty years since consumer phones and digital cameras became affordable. It still looks bad, even if there are fancy filters that make it look less obvious, but it's still obvious and always looks bad.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Let’s be fair here, Akira does kind of suck. But it gave us the motorcycle slide meme so it was totally worth it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

do you post non sequitors on purpose or are you just incredibly stupid?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Robobot posted:

Let’s be fair here, Akira does kind of suck. But it gave us the motorcycle slide meme so it was totally worth it.
it's dull

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shibawanko posted:

do you post non sequitors on purpose or are you just incredibly stupid?

This is literally the thread for non sequiturs you buffoon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

"Do you really come into the unpopular opinions thread and post an unpopular opinion with no relation to the other posts on the page?"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Slizers were cooler than Bionicles.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The ones that were bioncles but motorcycles were the best

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Slizers were cooler than Bionicles.

lies, lies

mechano (mechanno?) is better than both of them imo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

This is literally the thread for non sequiturs you buffoon.

weird! i thought it was for personally held unpopular opinions

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

The ones that were bioncles but motorcycles were the best

They failed because they didn’t have a tie-in story. You need to have at least enough of a premise to carry a kids book for your toys to be cool, imo

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
This probably is only unpopular outside the broader realworld, but fuckin distressed jeans are so goddamn annoying and dumb. I hate sounding like a Boomer complaining about you kids and yer drat fads, but it's just, I remember how as a kid I had to loving take care of my jeans so loving much because the worst thing in the world was being perceived as poor. Now as a grown up having to work and poo poo I have grown a natural abhorrence to those who can spend money on fads and poo poo. I'm stuck with this contrast:

10 year-old me: Can't wear torn up jeans or everyone will think I'm poor
37 year-old me: Can't wear torn up jeans or everyone will think I have money.

Also somehow I hate that you spend extra money to make it look like you go outside once in a while but aside from making a few standardized shreds, there's no real attempt at authenticity. No grass stains, no darkened spots where blood fused the fabric to your leg because you didn't want to stop playing kickball. People who wear distressed jeans are like people who are in the absolute lowest tier of wealth who still want to try slumming it. Look at us, honey. We're active people hoo hoo!

credburn has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Jan 31, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Distressed jeans were popular all the way back in the early '80s. Probably before that too

My unpopular fashion opinion is that something needs to replace the casual blazer in the masculine wardrobe. When it fell out of fashion there was nothing to replace its niche - the dash of formality over a street-casual look

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Robobot posted:

Yeah. The animation is real good but the movie itself is really kind of meh and as an adaptation, it's like...not complete and missing huge parts of the manga, I think?

It'd be interesting to see what a modern imagining that covers the whole manga would be like but Akira is such a sacred cow that I can't see any studio wanting to touch it.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Vandar posted:

Yeah. The animation is real good but the movie itself is really kind of meh and as an adaptation, it's like...not complete and missing huge parts of the manga, I think?

It'd be interesting to see what a modern imagining that covers the whole manga would be like but Akira is such a sacred cow that I can't see any studio wanting to touch it.

Tbf you can't really do it with one movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waste of Breath posted:

Tbf you can't really do it with one movie.

Yeah it would take like 15 movies to fill that box.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Distressed jeans were popular all the way back in the early '80s. Probably before that too

My unpopular fashion opinion is that something needs to replace the casual blazer in the masculine wardrobe. When it fell out of fashion there was nothing to replace its niche - the dash of formality over a street-casual look

In The Good Wife, Cary Argos wears an overcoat over a hoodie and it works pretty well, better than you would have thought from the mere concept of it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

alexandriao posted:

In The Good Wife, Cary Argos wears an overcoat over a hoodie and it works pretty well, better than you would have thought from the mere concept of it

Yeah but that has practicality. I have a buddy who has one single jacket that cost him like five hundred dollars, it's the only expensive piece of clothing he has, and the way he is able to combine it with his other clothes is amazing. He makes every ensemble look expensive just because he has a fancy coat to go with it.

I mean, I'm not complaining about that. Like many a white man about to enter his forties, I am angry at things that were different when I was a kid.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

credburn posted:

Yeah but that has practicality. I have a buddy who has one single jacket that cost him like five hundred dollars, it's the only expensive piece of clothing he has, and the way he is able to combine it with his other clothes is amazing. He makes every ensemble look expensive just because he has a fancy coat to go with it.

I mean, I'm not complaining about that. Like many a white man about to enter his forties, I am angry at things that were different when I was a kid.

Yeah. Although I'm not referring to the ripped jeans. I'm referring to

"Something needs to replace the casual blazer in the masculine wardrobe. When it fell out of fashion there was ]nothing to replace its niche - the dash of formality over a street-casual look"

Which is exactly what imo the overcoat/hoodie combo does :)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It does look really sharp on gis, especially the models with the nice kicks

I wonder what the warm weather equivalent would be

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I wear a casual blazer in all non winter weather. I need the pockets and I'm lame as hell.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I like the sport coat over jeans and shirt look. If they made sport coats with funkier lapel cuts or like shorter cuts for the waist I think it would go a long way to varying men’s fashion up a bit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

White t-shirt under a unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt, jean shorts, socks with sandals.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

slides with socks are the poo poo right now

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

wolf shirt + utilikilt + vibrams

add a snappy fedora if you're going somewhere fancy or on a date

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Black t-shirt all day every day. On it, the box art for the original DOOM (1993). Tucked in. The shirt has been worn down to a soft, silken like material. Little holes form in it over time. One of my nipples occasionally makes an appearance. It is always hard.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Black t-shirt all day every day. On it, the box art for the original DOOM (1993). Tucked in. The shirt has been worn down to a soft, silken like material. Little holes form in it over time. One of my nipples occasionally makes an appearance. It is always hard.

Bro I know exactly what you mean by the hard nipple holes in old shirts

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I think they tried to revitalize the vest; fortunately that lasted for about one season.

I had a job for a while with a dumb company that had its corporate headquarters in the Midwest. That meant "business casual" all the time, even when it was unsafe (I'm talking ties getting stuck in equipment etc), and was basically detached from the reality of our customers. At least with a doctor you expect a uniform, but a meeting between an overdressed suit and someone in flipflops and a t-shirt... what a world.

The trouble I had was that their definition of "business casual" included a tie (not for women of course). I don't look right in just a tie so I always wore a jacket; I wasn't the only one. For more color I added pocket squares, and I stuck with rather shiny colored shirts, blues, blood reds, etc.

Honestly the next step up was "tuxedo". I could go to in-city hot spots after work and be overdressed. Needless to say I threw it all out when I left and I haven't been able to wear a suit since. Being so flashy for nearly a decade just to fanangle papers and write things on a board, it took all the flavor out of "dressing up".

(Nope not financial. Nor insurance, advertising, sales, psychology,... and the people I know in those tend to stop at "button shirt" anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Gaius Marius posted:

To be fair most sitcoms are of their time and don't age all that well. There are a few classics that can go on for years in syndication but for the most part once a show is gone it's gone for a reason and if you go back to it years later you find that it just doesn't hold up.