Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
How does one (can one) apply that modern DSP wizardry to sources that are not a phone or a computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

How does one (can one) apply that modern DSP wizardry to sources that are not a phone or a computer?

https://www.minidsp.com/

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

As far as exclusively modern and car stuff, there's boxes like MiniDSP and Helix and probably many more that look to start around $400 decently equipped, and then you likely don't have an amp to pipe it to anymore so add one of those too and so on. If you absolutely have to do it after the source it starts getting a lot more involved. You could absolutely replace either of those with a Raspberry Pi and whatever shield works for dirt cheap, but that may or may not be more fiddling than some are willing to put up with. At that point I'd probably just say gently caress it and just root an Atoto or Joying so then you'd at least also have something to look at.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Does the mojo those apps work into the output also apply to the Bluetooth output (for car use)?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

Does the mojo those apps work into the output also apply to the Bluetooth output (for car use)?
I have a rooted Android phone with Viper4Android and it will automatically apply different profiles depending on the connection, so you can correct the internal speaker, a set of headphones, or bluetooth separately. It's kinda wonky to get working but once you do it seems fine.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The cheapest MiniDSP works fine but only provides .9v output which simply isn't enough for home or car audio. The 2/.9 v distinction that they make on the website only applies to the input, it does not apply to the output.

I have the DDRC-88D which probably is overkill for the car, but Dirac Live is seriously some top-level poo poo and I promise will blow your mind.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The cheapest MiniDSP works fine but only provides .9v output which simply isn't enough for home or car audio. The 2/.9 v distinction that they make on the website only applies to the input, it does not apply to the output.

I have the DDRC-88D which probably is overkill for the car, but Dirac Live is seriously some top-level poo poo and I promise will blow your mind.

Is there, like, a MiniDSP for dummies somewhere? I don't have the budget to be doing that at all at the moment, but it's interesting and I'd like to know more

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Is there, like, a MiniDSP for dummies somewhere? I don't have the budget to be doing that at all at the moment, but it's interesting and I'd like to know more

MiniDSP on easy mode is just getting one with Dirac Live and following the prompts. It tells you where to place the microphone and does much of the heavy lifting for you.

MiniDSP for dummies? This one isn't bad: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

MiniDSP on easy mode is just getting one with Dirac Live and following the prompts. It tells you where to place the microphone and does much of the heavy lifting for you.

MiniDSP for dummies? This one isn't bad: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew

Sorry - I just meant conceptually - like what's going on.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Sorry - I just meant conceptually - like what's going on.

It's for correcting issues with speakers and the space they are in, essentially.

Here are a couple links that'll kind of get you started, they're not specific to the MiniDSP but the concepts are the same no matter what processor or measurement tooling you use (Room EQ Wizard being one of the most common you'll come across). I didn't spend a lot of time vetting these but they'll get your feet wet.

Kinda technical: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/features.html

Some dummy-how-to links related to room acoustics. I know they say pro audio but the concepts are broadly the same:

https://producelikeapro.com/blog/room-eq-wizard/
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/how-to-analyse-your-room-and-speakers-using-room-eq-wizard
https://www.gikacoustics.com/room-eq-wizard-tutorial/

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I think the most helpful thing would just be for me to explain how I set it up for my car.

I have an ancient T61 Thinkpad (with an SSD and 4GB ram thankfully) that I run Room EQ Wizard on. It has a bluetooth dongle so it can just play directly to my deck. Ideally you measure from the same source as you'll eventually listen to.

After making a couple sweeps while sitting in my driver's seat holding a mic and my breath, you can average them together and generate something like this.

Yeah, sucks! Next I open the EQ wizard.

After setting ranges and slopes you want it will generate you some filters like those teal lines that show it removing a ton around 150, 1.5k, and 6k. There's a lot of analysis that can be done all over the place but I won't bother even trying to explain. Calculate target Level > Match Response is surprisingly adequate by itself. You can export these coefficients right to whatever format you want, but REW only does IIR minimum phase filters. Instead I export the measurement into rePhase to create FIRs and tune the phase a little more.

This is what it looks like right after importing the measurement and filters from REW.

I decided to even out my subwoofer hump since it's a little easier to do here than REW. I purposely made this box with a slot port that's too big so it can have inserts to raise it up to something reasonable and without them it's just way too low, but I wanted to see what it would sound like in the end.

I didn't do TOO insane of a job because I actually want to do a better one in stereo, but notice the phase scale is now way smaller. The blue line was predicted, and the red line is the result. More taps or different windows make it longer/shorter and more/less accurate. It says 170ms at the bottom but that isn't the final latency imposed by the resulting impulse response filtering. You seem to be able to cover most stuff in <30ms unless you wanna go all audiophile on it for no benefit.

I take the file it generates, rename it to .irs so android doesn't try to play it ever, plop it on my phone and click a little box in Viper4Android and it's done. You can measure it again and tweak it more, but even 1 pass is a substantial upgrade.

E: In case you were looking for a more technical explanation, you record your speakers playing a sweep from the bottom to the top of their range, which can be transformed into what happened if your speakers were a gun but without the gun, flip it upside down and smash it on the signal OVER TIME and it should cancel out and sound good.

EE: Future Lowclock knowledge: REW has added some fancy math poo poo that makes this a lot faster and more accurate now. Also, just ignore the paragraphic phase EQ and just use the filter linearization stuff to fix phase crap caused by crossovers without adding a bunch of pre-response. If you're curious ask me about it.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 27, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

otter posted:

Pardon my dumb question if it has been answered previously.
I tried to do a search about it and have not come up with big hits so here it goes.

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited which has the MyFordTouch / Sync2 platform.
The control module seems to have gone to poo poo on it and if it is too cold, too hot, too Wednesday or whatever, it will either turn off entirely, or reboot…
Aside from almost $200 in price, is there really a difference? Has anyone done this swap before in here? Ive seen youtube videos of it, but am still wary.

Update on this. I ended up buying the one from eBay. I paid $510 shipped and it did not include the wireless CarPlay adapter but Bluetooth works just fine. Holy moly the difference between sync2 and sync3 is night and day. Super happy with the upgrade so far. Took about 45 minutes but it would have taken less time if I had:
Parked flat instead of at an incline in my driveway
Had smaller hands
Had watched a video about the specific model of explorer I have which has extra speakers and thus the disassembly was slightly different.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

otter posted:

Update on this. I ended up buying the one from eBay. I paid $510 shipped and it did not include the wireless CarPlay adapter but Bluetooth works just fine. Holy moly the difference between sync2 and sync3 is night and day. Super happy with the upgrade so far. Took about 45 minutes but it would have taken less time if I had:
Parked flat instead of at an incline in my driveway
Had smaller hands
Had watched a video about the specific model of explorer I have which has extra speakers and thus the disassembly was slightly different.

Not sure which version of sync3 you got, but you can use this tool to update to the latest even if it's not officially supported. I used it to get my 18 Mustang up to 3.4 even though 3.0 is the latest version officially offered for my year https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/windows-automated-method-update-to-3-4/

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dunno if anyone was waiting for the Motorola* MA1 (Android Auto wireless adapter), but mine finally showed up.

Easy peasy. Plug it into the stereo's USB port, pair to the adapter via Bluetooth, and once it's paired, it kicks off a wifi connection to the dongle every time the dongle powers up. Takes about a minute from engine startup until I have AA on the stereo instead of ~15-20 seconds, but I'll take that over having to plug it in every time.

Lowclock posted:

I have a rooted Android phone with Viper4Android and it will automatically apply different profiles depending on the connection, so you can correct the internal speaker, a set of headphones, or bluetooth separately. It's kinda wonky to get working but once you do it seems fine.

It's been a looooong time since I used Viper, do you still need root to use it?

My head unit also has a 13 band EQ, along with time delay for each speaker (no clue how to use that, so I haven't touched it) I have the typical smiley face EQ profile right now that every 80s/90s kid had on their stereos. :downs: Also lets me set speaker locations and size, which is kinda cool (oddball 6x8 Ford size is in there)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 6, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A minute? Geez that's painfully long ha.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

STR posted:

It's been a looooong time since I used Viper, do you still need root to use it?
Sadly, yes. There's also JamesDSP which is kind of the same thing, but both need root and seem just as jank, so if one doesn't work then the other probably won't either. I have no idea why there's not even just an android music player with impulse response correction. I see people requesting it for PowerAmp and Neutron and stuff, but never any kind of response from the devs.

STR posted:

My head unit also has a 13 band EQ, along with time delay for each speaker (no clue how to use that, so I haven't touched it) I have the typical smiley face EQ profile right now that every 80s/90s kid had on their stereos. :downs: Also lets me set speaker locations and size, which is kinda cool (oddball 6x8 Ford size is in there)
Even if you measure perfectly time alignment always seems like it needs a lot of fiddling to get it to really sound right, since there's also an amplitude component to it to balance it out right. I had a Rockford amp with it that had to be adjusted on a display on the amp itself, so it was the most frustrating thing to try to do without someone else who understands what you're doing.

I'd use that EQ to take a chunk out around like 150 and a smaller one near 1750 if you have the bands for it. If your speaker profiles haven't already done this, that'll probably help a lot more than any amount of alignment and could let you pull out some boost around the really high and low ends which can be problematic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm half deaf at this point anyway. :v: I'm kinda done with rooting these days; my work phone is rooted, but the A/B devices are a different breed than what I'm used to. Plus pretty much everything I listen to is streaming, so something integrated into, say, Poweramp, wouldn't do me any good.

It's funny.. my phone has 256GB of storage, but I'd be fine with 64GB. Probably 32GB.. very little is actually stored on the device itself, it's all ~in the cloud~

BonoMan posted:

A minute? Geez that's painfully long ha.

To be fair, it's a low end JVC head unit. It's not good at anything except sound quality (and that's debatable if you're using an amp.. 2V RCA outs). Ever since I factory reset my phone, the head unit doesn't auto-start AA anyway. Once prices and availability come back down on Pioneer and Kenwood stuff, I'll ditch it for something better.

Kinda tempted to see how the MA1 works on my work van (Ford Transit w/Sync 3). Pretty impressed with Sync on it, except if I unplug my phone from USB while on a phone call (or if the cable is starting to fail), the head unit sometimes freezes and needs a hard reset (power + next buttons held down) - won't even power off with the ignition when that happens. It's a much more responsive head unit compared to the JVC though.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

STR posted:

I'm half deaf at this point anyway. :v: I'm kinda done with rooting these days; my work phone is rooted, but the A/B devices are a different breed than what I'm used to. Plus pretty much everything I listen to is streaming, so something integrated into, say, Poweramp, wouldn't do me any good.
Yeah that's totally fair. Rooting my old Nexus 7s was easy as hell. Doing the same now on my phone with weird brand-specific recovery tools and awful instructions and A/B crap was a nightmare.

PowerAmp also somewhat recently spun their audio processing off into a separate app, but it's just parametric IIRs and a compressor. While it's global, doesn't require root, and might get some support and further development, it's still missing the real good poo poo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

STR posted:

Dunno if anyone was waiting for the Motorola* MA1 (Android Auto wireless adapter), but mine finally showed up.

Easy peasy. Plug it into the stereo's USB port, pair to the adapter via Bluetooth, and once it's paired, it kicks off a wifi connection to the dongle every time the dongle powers up. Takes about a minute from engine startup until I have AA on the stereo instead of ~15-20 seconds, but I'll take that over having to plug it in every time.

Where did you order from? No one has it right now, but I'm on it the second I can buy one. A one minute boot is small price to pay versus hitting a hard bump and having it disconnect.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Amazon, when they were taking preorders.

Target can let you know when it's back in stock, otherwise you're stuck just checking Amazon and Target every day to see if they've restocked.

AAWireless is supposed to be good too (arguably better), but it looks like they're also having stock issues.

I did have it disconnect on me earlier, but I'm not sure if that's my phone being weird or not - it was occasionally disconnecting while plugged in, but I was chalking that up to a flaky cable. Need to go down the list of 500+ things that can cause Android Auto to act up.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

STR posted:

Amazon, when they were taking preorders.

Target can let you know when it's back in stock, otherwise you're stuck just checking Amazon and Target every day to see if they've restocked.

AAWireless is supposed to be good too (arguably better), but it looks like they're also having stock issues.

I did have it disconnect on me earlier, but I'm not sure if that's my phone being weird or not - it was occasionally disconnecting while plugged in, but I was chalking that up to a flaky cable. Need to go down the list of 500+ things that can cause Android Auto to act up.

Thanks. Signed up with target.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Any recs for minimalist single DIN mechless head units with no blinding blue lights?

I like the Clarion M508 a lot but it's kinda pricey and seems to be out of stock at most places.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I think some of the Sony units have selectable colors and brightness. The double DIN mechless in my CR-V lets me pick a color and brightness for the display and a separate color for the buttons.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I think Clarion is pretty much done at this point. That's a marine deck which is why it's also like twice the price it should be. Most manufacturers have color adjustment on all but their lowest end decks, but they're still ugly.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve got an assortment of $15-25 head units that I’ve thrown in Kei trucks and all have been fine and most offer color adjustment

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I have one of the $20 cheapos in my current work truck and it's alright except for the bluetooth not working sometimes and it has to be on max volume to be loud enough.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lowclock posted:

I think Clarion is pretty much done at this point. That's a marine deck which is why it's also like twice the price it should be. Most manufacturers have color adjustment on all but their lowest end decks, but they're still ugly.

I think Clarion is primarily OEM these days - for awhile they were OEM and marine stuff, but I don't see any marine stuff in their current lineup. One 24 volt CD player in the lineup, I assume for big trucks.

Shame, they used to put out some nice stuff.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I just finished spending a few hours getting better with REW, rePhase, and a mic and really nailing down my car. The ability to do phase correction is so insane. It's literally a time equalizer. In the midrange it's not terribly noticeable, but it absolutely transforms subwoofers. I have a modified rebuilt 18" in almost 5 cubic feet on 2500 watts. It sounds better than you'd think it would, but not to be confused with "good". After some phase correction that actually makes bass lines of hip-hop songs play backwards on my home stereo, I'll be damned if the thing doesn't sound like the loudest sealed 12" you've ever heard. The frickin' future is now.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

STR posted:

I think Clarion is primarily OEM these days - for awhile they were OEM and marine stuff, but I don't see any marine stuff in their current lineup. One 24 volt CD player in the lineup, I assume for big trucks.

Shame, they used to put out some nice stuff.

Apparently JL Audio handles all of Clairon’s marine audio business in the US now. I guess that explains why trying to search for the marine stuff on Clarion’s website just results in a page not found screen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yerok posted:

Any recs for minimalist single DIN mechless head units with no blinding blue lights?

I like the Clarion M508 a lot but it's kinda pricey and seems to be out of stock at most places.

I currently have a Pioneer MVH-X560BT in my Crown Vic. It's reasonably minimalist, and the screen and button colors are customizable, along with a manual dimmer. I keep it all green to match the Ford dash lighting.
It sounds decent. Unfortunately it's been discontinued:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-74585-Pioneer-MVH-X560BT.html

edit: pic:

It was $110 when I bought it.

Interestingly, literally every singl;e-DIN Pioneer shows out of stock on Sonic Electronix, so I don't know what's going on there, but there are several current models with similar features to mine, with an updated look that still not too flashy, at least for me.

I am about to replace it, though, since my car has room for a double-DIN, and I need a reversing camera for that boat.
Speaking of, I bought one of the Atoto F7 units with CarPlay from Amazon. I believe I saw that recommendation in here. Amazon had a one-day sale on them last week that saved me a few bucks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Most Pioneer and Kenwood is OOS everywhere, except for the real high end stuff and some low end stuff. Crutchfield claims chip shortages.

That's why I wound up going JVC. :sigh:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

STR posted:

Most Pioneer and Kenwood is OOS everywhere, except for the real high end stuff and some low end stuff. Crutchfield claims chip shortages.
I believe it. I was looking for some more audio-specific components on Mouser/Digikey a few weeks ago and a lot of stuff was backordered for months. I guess they would rather make nothing than to redesign stuff to use available parts since they probably already did that 15 years ago.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Well most of the mechless stuff probably wasn't designed 15 years ago.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

Well most of the mechless stuff probably wasn't designed 15 years ago.
Considering all the 800x480 TN screens, and class-AB 14 watt amps, they might as well have been.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Ironically I'm running a CD player from 2007 that has never had a CD in the mechanism. I got hooked on the Phatnoise media player back in 2005 and still use them. I've had to replace the IDE 2.5" drives several times and since there's zero support for switching to SATA or solid state, and head units newer than 2009 don't operate the things anyway, I think it's time to retire them.

So I just pulled the trigger on the Chinese android unit I was talking about earlier. I'll update if it's good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

An IDE to SD adapter won't work?

Also for those considering the Motorola MA1... it's a big roll of the dice with an aftermarket head unit, it's been nothing but skips and disconnects with my JVC. Works great in my work van though (Ford Sync 3.4) - in 8 hours yesterday I never had it disconnect, and only noticed one audio skip. Murders my phone battery, but at least I can plug it into a quick charger for 15 minutes here and there instead of relying on the van's 500mA (which just slows down how fast my phone discharges when using wired AA - and unplugging/plugging the phone back in 80+ times a day doesn't seem good for longevity).

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

So I just pulled the trigger on the Chinese android unit I was talking about earlier. I'll update if it's good.
I'd love to hear a good review of one of these even if it sucks, especially the software. Android is pretty easy to ruin and I really want to know if they put together a solid and stable platform for these things.

STR posted:

Isn't it CF that's just IDE with a different connector? I bet electrically any drive that will plug in is fine, it's just the classic DRM of never making their embedded system compatible with anything but what they wanted to sell.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

What is the rock-bottom of gear I could get my hands on to take a crack at some of this DSP stuff? Would a Dayton iMM-6 do the job? I'm willing to root my Android phone or break it while trying.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

What is the rock-bottom of gear I could get my hands on to take a crack at some of this DSP stuff? Would a Dayton iMM-6 do the job? I'm willing to root my Android phone or break it while trying.
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be fine provided you can actually connect it properly. I saw a review of someone saying it has a bad low frequency roll-off, but I'm pretty sure they were just actually recording from the stock mic or some software that a-weighted everything. It's made for mobile stuff so it has TRRS plugs which means you might end up having to play and record sweeps on your phone and then transfer them to PC which doesn't sound fun. It's probably adaptable through some chopped up plugs, but I'm not sure.

A new UMM-6 or UMIK-1 is like $80, but MiniDSP wants $27 shipping and stock/scalpers are garbage. I happened across my "restocked" UMM-6 on parts express for $45 and it appears brand new and works great.

WRT the phone, If you can get Magisk on there, getting Viper or JamesDSP going is pretty easy. The main trick that I figured out is that it doesn't seem to play nice with stock bundled stuff like AudioFX or MusicFX, so just stripping down or replacing audio_effects.conf makes it pretty rock solid. I wouldn't be any help with rooting, but if you need a hand with those just say so. E: You also have to turn off bluetooth direct volume control.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

STR posted:

Crazy, it might. The system has a few die hard enthusiasts and I know one person was able to make it work using an IDE to SATA adapter and got a modern SSD to work but then it didn't fit in the cartridge so he had to run it open chassis and it wasn't really compatible with the automotive environment, but it was a good exercise.

The manufacturer did something to write on hidden sectors on the drive so that only "authorized" drives could be used in the cartridges but people figured out how to hack around that a long time ago when drives were failing all over.

But again, the second biggest problem is that they require a head unit to operate and the protocol is all written around Kenwood's pre-2009 cd changer instructions. So nothing newer than 13 years old will run it. Mine has a broken volume knob and poo poo like that so it's time.