Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

drat, why wouldn't they just use the master chief voice actor from the games. Surely he doesn't take his helmet off at any point??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Grevling posted:

drat, why wouldn't they just use the master chief voice actor from the games. Surely he doesn't take his helmet off at any point??

cuz he sounds old as gently caress now lol

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

Halo fan opinion will mostly depend on Cortana's outfit.

was any of the stuff about master chief being the product of an unethical child soldier program meant to put down human rebels in the first three games. seems like they are leaning heavy into that part of the franchise.

That was in the books that came out around the time of the first game but none of that stuff was in the first 3 games.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They made all the new Spartans volunteers years ago because the whole child soldier thing was too much of a bad look for them hahaha lol

Halo's backstory is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect an affluent white dude to come up with as a history of the future in the late 90s, I loving love the multiplayer though

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
i've been watching the first season of patriot and it's loving great. most dark American comedy I've ever seen, and so many _amazingly_ dark gags.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat i wanna like station eleven but almost every scene from 2040 is boring as all gently caress

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

oscarthewilde posted:

i've been watching the first season of patriot and it's loving great. most dark American comedy I've ever seen, and so many _amazingly_ dark gags.

good show, bummed it got canceled

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
finished :airquote:season:airquote: 6 of The Expanse. wtf was that bullshit? bezos you cheap gently caress.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

finished :airquote:season:airquote: 6 of The Expanse. wtf was that bullshit? bezos you cheap gently caress.

the thing with cas anvar and how the show handled it almost certainly torpedoed the series. and IMO given the last few books and the Big Secret Meaning Theory behind the whole series that the authors have confirmed, it should probably be left where it is.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think the cas anvar thing really hosed the previous season but I don't see how it would torpedo the rest of the series? I'm stupid though

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1488197771123384324?s=20&t=rI2B3SLAu9VRoXMoQWIYUQ

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Horizon Burning posted:

the thing with cas anvar and how the show handled it almost certainly torpedoed the series. and IMO given the last few books and the Big Secret Meaning Theory behind the whole series that the authors have confirmed, it should probably be left where it is.

You gotta elaborate on both parts of this

I straight up loved one of the main cast dying randomly to space G forces, since it was one of the "realistic" things mentioned early on that obviously would never happen to the heroes, until it did due to the actors misdeeds

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wow, genius

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I think the cas anvar thing really hosed the previous season but I don't see how it would torpedo the rest of the series? I'm stupid though

It was more that the final Expanse season was too short and also the latest greatest bad guy / antagonist wasn't really good for reasons like writing.

Best nail biter seasons of The Expanse were season 2 / 3 for me.

Also this bit from peacemaker is like when a CSPAM poster makes a new ban me thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijoFCga3qI

etalian has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Feb 1, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

It was more that the final Expanse season was too short and also the latest greatest bad guy / antagonist wasn't really good for reasons like writing.

Best nail biter seasons of The Expanse were season 2 / 3 for me.
yeah 2/3 were by far the best. The one where they fart around in a cave for the entire season sucked, well, it wasn't bad, but it was a big waste of a season. I liked the little sideshow exploration into future space-capitalism and how the peons work to get themselves an 'out' but it was just way too long with nothing happening. i would have gladly season 4 cut down to 6 eps and added to the final season instead.

shame it didnt get a longer send off, 6 eps was way too short.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

yeah 2/3 were by far the best. The one where they fart around in a cave for the entire season sucked, well, it wasn't bad, but it was a big waste of a season. I liked the little sideshow exploration into future space-capitalism and how the peons work to get themselves an 'out' but it was just way too long with nothing happening. i would have gladly season 4 cut down to 6 eps and added to the final season instead.

shame it didnt get a longer send off, 6 eps was way too short.

Yeah the longer seasons were great.

Also season 2 gets extra points since had the best friend in the world scene and the Amos I am the guy moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNr0tg4hZvw

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Amos is an Always Sunny character sent into space

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Horizon Burning posted:

there wasn't any point in season 6 where I thought "I miss Alex". sure he was good in previous seasons but he wasn't carrying the story in any way, and honestly amos and bobby had much more chemistry. the entire alien planet plot went nowhere and was wasted time the actual plot could have used to breath a little. also don't know if it's a book thing but the warp demons being chill as long as you don't speed through their neighborhood was kinda dumb and so simple that anyone looking into it should have been able to figure out. using it to poochie marco felt like a "we're out of time" rear end pull

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

You gotta elaborate on both parts of this

I straight up loved one of the main cast dying randomly to space G forces, since it was one of the "realistic" things mentioned early on that obviously would never happen to the heroes, until it did due to the actors misdeeds

the cas anvar thing was bigger than him harassing fans at conventions or whatever. apparently, he did the same to ladies on set and that's what really prompted his removal. despite the creatives insisting that season 5 was not reshot because of the harassment issue, it very clearly was (there's a whole martian intrigue plot in book 5 that's a key part of the mars conspiracy stuff they'd vastly filled out and even spent the start of season 5 setting up with alex -- it gets entirely dropped.) while alex never really plays a major part in the later books, the fact they replace his piloting duties with holden in season 6 (again, despite setting up bull to take his place) means the plot will run into problems when, in a later book, alex and naomi are the only ones on the rocinante. the show's already more than worn out it's budget of 'naomi is alone on a starship' scenes! it's a lot of little stuff they'd have to write around. they should've invented a new character or just recast alex. despite not doing much, he's still a core part of the rocinante crew and this gets more pronounced as the crew fractures and ends up doing different things in book 7 and onwards. i'd say he's a core part of a plot involving bobbie in book 8.

the second thing is that there was a big reddit theory post that basically says that everything the protomolecule does makes perfect sense as a plan to have the protomolecule aliens highjack the brains of humanity. the authors have said it's correct. please ignore that the protomolecule, had its plans gone perfectly, would've rendered humanity extinct before they even got to the stars and the gate would never have been activated because it needed a human to do it and so the plan could never have come to fruition. it's basically a twelve-dimensional chess rear end pull.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

there wasn't any point in season 6 where I thought "I miss Alex". sure he was good in previous seasons but he wasn't carrying the story in any way, and honestly amos and bobby had much more chemistry. the entire alien planet plot went nowhere and was wasted time the actual plot could have used to breath a little. also don't know if it's a book thing but the warp demons being chill as long as you don't speed through their neighborhood was kinda dumb and so simple that anyone looking into it should have been able to figure out. using it to poochie marco felt like a "we're out of time" rear end pull

it wasn't a great ending to the season, no. babylon's ashes does it with even less drama and it feels so much more like a "poo poo, we're out of pages, uh, marco dies on the way to medina because naomi knows the power of math" rear end pull. as a book reader, it just blew my mind they didn't change it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

the second thing is that there was a big reddit theory post that basically says that everything the protomolecule does makes perfect sense as a plan to have the protomolecule aliens highjack the brains of humanity. the authors have said it's correct. please ignore that the protomolecule, had its plans gone perfectly, would've rendered humanity extinct before they even got to the stars and the gate would never have been activated because it needed a human to do it and so the plan could never have come to fruition. it's basically a twelve-dimensional chess rear end pull.

my interpretation of how the protomolecule works is that it fuses with organic lifeforms to create cyborgs to build whatever poo poo its supposed to be building the protomolecule itself doesnt kill humanity whatever comes through the gates does but lucky for humanity the gate connects to a hub space thats mysteriously empty and inert suggesting that whoever made the protomolecule died a very long time ago

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

my interpretation of how the protomolecule works is that it fuses with organic lifeforms to create cyborgs to build whatever poo poo its supposed to be building the protomolecule itself doesnt kill humanity whatever comes through the gates does but lucky for humanity the gate connects to a hub space thats mysteriously empty and inert suggesting that whoever made the protomolecule died a very long time ago

it turns people into parts like the beast from homeworld cataclysm!!

Serf
May 5, 2011

been watching that boba fett show and good lord it is absolute dogshit. its so bad that in episode 5 they just bring back the mandalorian for an entire episode where he just does videogame sidequests for a shiny upgrade. i knew the people they had running the show for star wars were bad but not this bad. the 10mph car chase scene in episode 3 was some of the most embarrassing poo poo i've ever seen onscreen. cringe, as the kids say

i really like morrison and wen as actors but they're just totally wooden here. and it seems like someone wanted to make the "boba fett is the biggest badass ever" show that i feared they would but they failed? like he can barely function in a fight and loses constantly lol. it functions better as a parody than anything else, but it's not particularly interesting in execution

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I finished "Search Party". It feels like a combination of the plotting of something like "The Good Place" where they're willing to throw things at the characters that drastically change the show's ability to reset back to status quo, but with the characters of "It's Always Sunny" where everyone is uniquely terrible in their own way.

And seeing Louie Anderson as Drew's lawyer for the murder trial like the day after he died was very bittersweet :unsmith:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the expanse is 3 trilogies of descending quality and I'd have been stunned if the show managed anything at all decent with the end of the second one, books 5 and 6 are already pretty tenuous on actiony stuff happening, it's lots of being held hostage in one way or another and waiting and background building up for books 7-9 and as was said it ends with one of the antagonists being defeated by the interdimensional toll booth and naomi's kid just buys a ticket out of the series

it's especially egregious since they had the insane terrorist attack which was basically glossed over in the show and was the only really gripping part of that trilogy

still felt stronger than the last 3 books to me even so

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I couldn't get into The Expanse books or show and have been wondering what I've been missing out on. Sounds like they pulled a Game of Thrones? The premise was really cool though.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Serf posted:

been watching that boba fett show and good lord it is absolute dogshit. its so bad that in episode 5 they just bring back the mandalorian for an entire episode where he just does videogame sidequests for a shiny upgrade. i knew the people they had running the show for star wars were bad but not this bad. the 10mph car chase scene in episode 3 was some of the most embarrassing poo poo i've ever seen onscreen. cringe, as the kids say

i really like morrison and wen as actors but they're just totally wooden here. and it seems like someone wanted to make the "boba fett is the biggest badass ever" show that i feared they would but they failed? like he can barely function in a fight and loses constantly lol. it functions better as a parody than anything else, but it's not particularly interesting in execution

that's right, i'll still consume that garbage though

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I couldn't get into The Expanse books or show and have been wondering what I've been missing out on. Sounds like they pulled a Game of Thrones? The premise was really cool though.

read the first three books, they're unironically good fun

i enjoyed the first few seasons of the show too, so I suppose it's game of thrones to a t

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really hate the idea of starting a huge series that doesn't have a good ending and vowed to never do it again. Are the first three self-contained? I read the first one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

First three seasons have a hook leading to the next ones but also could be left alone. I don't think the later seasons are that bad, just not as good as the other ones

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
they're sort of self-contained, yeah, the first three deal with a lot of the strong setup the series has with some of the strongest characters, and they end with the setup for a much broader power struggle situation in the next trilogy, which then broadens out more for the last three in the same way

i understand being gun shy about series like that, though, I hate even starting things if I can't binge through them

I'd still say that the first three are worth it just because they're not really all that long and you'll get 90% of what really made the series good, but I personally trucked through the entire thing because I consume a lot of books for quantity rather than quality

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's funny seeing all the people screeching for a Thrawn TV show evaporate as Boba Fett shits the bed

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really hate the idea of starting a huge series that doesn't have a good ending and vowed to never do it again. Are the first three self-contained? I read the first one.

read three body problem, 3 and done, an incredible spectacle, horrifying and strange and wonderful

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

smarxist posted:

it's funny seeing all the people screeching for a Thrawn TV show evaporate as Boba Fett shits the bed

Damnit people need to learn that Thrawn is not as awesome of a character as they thought he was in 8th grade

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Damnit people need to learn that Thrawn is not as awesome of a character as they thought he was in 8th grade

[stares at painting to divine why you made this post]

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

smarxist posted:

read three body problem, 3 and done, an incredible spectacle, horrifying and strange and wonderful

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
star wars media cycle

wow it's great!! --> it's trash but it's fun trash --> man this sucks why do they keep making the wrong choices --> star wars sucks --> (new thing comes out) --> wow it's great!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

This poo poo is so loving depressing. I know everything has been serialized with tie-ins across various forms of media and physical junk since at least the early Transformers/GI Joe cartoon days, but it's all so insanely whipped into a fever pitch now that you may as well have the wise and powerful Yogurt pop up and do his "moichandizing!" bit from space balls as a preamble to like, every release trailer ever.

"You kids like Halo? We got Halo! We got scale replica beam sabers, we got NERF needlers, we got spinoff games, we got a battle royale, for the super collecter we got life-size master chief armor, we have limited-edition Halo branded Mountain Dew mini fridges, a TV show, a movie, a manga for our more exotic collectors!"

It's all so bare and barren and laid forth for everyone to see and it really bums me out in a way that I have trouble communicating that doesn't make me think I'm just old man yelling at clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

It's all so bare and barren and laid forth for everyone to see and it really bums me out in a way that I have trouble communicating that doesn't make me think I'm just old man yelling at clouds.

Star Wars branded produce was the tipping point for me - the idea that someone might be motivated to buy one brand of lettuce as opposed to the other because it had BB-8 on the package is deeply upsetting.