Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This show just keeps getting better and better. They also did a decent job of making John Goodman look younger. The early scene of him wearing that sweater definitely looked like he had an old man frame, but the rest was pretty good.

Golden Bee posted:

Lazy contractors left that December 20 and came back for the new year because the gemstones pay net 60.

Once the concrete is mixed and put into the truck, there is a time limit before it's completely useless and needs to be dumped. Also, the barrel wasn't even spinning, there's no way they could have dumped concrete out of it. But it's a TV show after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Marlboro sweater was great. Freeing yourself from a crimelord and burying them under exodus is great.

What does Eli say about his mentor during the fast casual luncheon?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah that truck can’t have been sitting there for more than a few hours.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

haha holy poo poo, pretty sure during the Christmas morning scene one of the toys they got was a John Goodman Fred Flinstone doll from The Flinstones movie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

withak posted:

Yeah that truck can’t have been sitting there for more than a few hours.

I just figured they mixed it themselves to hide the body?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No way did an amusement park construction site have its own batch plant. Never mind one that could be operated by amateurs.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

probably somebody else was burying a body in cement before them, its pretty standard in a construction project

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
And I think there'd be a pretty confused crew the first day back wondering how one and only one footer got poured over the holiday.

Now I wanna google how a decomposing human body would affect the structural integrity of the footer, but not enough to have that on my search history.

(It's a great show, I'm having a great time.)

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

withak posted:

No way did an amusement park construction site have its own batch plant. Never mind one that could be operated by amateurs.

Perhaps they should've just shot it with a wheelbarrow and shovels

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Calling it: season will end with a roller coaster accident caused by failure of that one footing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

the numa numa song posted:

And I think there'd be a pretty confused crew the first day back wondering how one and only one footer got poured over the holiday.

Now I wanna google how a decomposing human body would affect the structural integrity of the footer, but not enough to have that on my search history.

(It's a great show, I'm having a great time.)

I can't find it right now, but there is a bridge somewhere where a horse and a wagon fell into one of the supports while the cement was setting. They were worried about the potential void that would be caused by the horse rotting, so they built up that support more than the others just in case. Someone found the horse skeleton several years ago with xrays or sonar or some poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Credits song this week was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlp3wmE4bbI

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Poor Baby Billy. Being abandoned by his family like that must really hurt. I hope he doesn't blame himself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat this show is so so good. And yeah the makeup on Goodman was really impressive. So often it really did look exactly like 90s him except for the neck and around the eyes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Judy really has been a monster her whole life. "Piss your pants, make a mess"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the child actors they got for jesse and judy are so loving good, it's wild how successfully they've got those mannerisms down (especially considering just how weird and specific McBride and Patterson are in these roles)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Wh who else was having flashbacks to the 90s after seeing those Christmas decorations? Holy poo poo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The nineties weren't a real thing.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

You came off terrible, just sweating like James brown on the stage of the Apollo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hell yeah, M. Emmet Walsh, didn't realize he still acted.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That was a really good depiction of alzheimers

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mordja posted:

Hell yeah, M. Emmet Walsh, didn't realize he still acted.

I think he’s one of those people like Franco Nero that aged really quickly fairly young and stayed old looking as hell for like 30 years.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Real question though - why does anyone running a vending machine/video poker business need to launder money?

Not a huge deal, still an incredible episode.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

Real question though - why does anyone running a vending machine/video poker business need to launder money?

Not a huge deal, still an incredible episode.

It's about volume, you can't just tell the IRS "oh yeah, the coke machine by the gas station on 5th generated $3,000,000 in revenue last week." He's been earning more than he can safely launder in-house and has a big backlog of cash to clear; he presumably has other ways of dealing with the issue, but this gives him a way to get his hooks into a valuable celebrity figure (who is also an old friend that he's probably legitimately happy about helping, even if he doesn't necessarily have Eli's best interests in mind.)

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i was surprised it wasn't some situation where the dirty money actually did change hands and the exchange at the office was just to kayfabe everyone into thinking the dr wasn't taking dirty cash, but i definitely think this version of events makes the stakes a lot higher. also the de-aging effect on goodman was fantastic, the best use of it i've seen so far

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

It's about volume, you can't just tell the IRS "oh yeah, the coke machine by the gas station on 5th generated $3,000,000 in revenue last week." He's been earning more than he can safely launder in-house and has a big backlog of cash to clear; he presumably has other ways of dealing with the issue, but this gives him a way to get his hooks into a valuable celebrity figure (who is also an old friend that he's probably legitimately happy about helping, even if he doesn't necessarily have Eli's best interests in mind.)

Oh, that makes perfect sense, thanks!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJyEYQuwbSo

I'm loving dying.

eke out posted:

the child actors they got for jesse and judy are so loving good, it's wild how successfully they've got those mannerisms down (especially considering just how weird and specific McBride and Patterson are in these roles)

The kid that plays Jesse must have studied McBride. SO drat on point.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I like that we have an origin story for the double Dragon machine. It’s funnier that it wasn’t bought as a retro thing at all

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

The kid that plays Jesse must have studied McBride. SO drat on point.

yeah 100%. it's also cool that if they going to do this once a year, they can actually capture that "wow they've grown" effect, it seemed like the dude playing jesse was a foot taller than last time

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Eli: "Just when you think your hero is licked, that he's out, he comes back with a last bit of energy and turns it around!"

*immediately picks up Kelvin*

I don't know if it was intentional, but if so, I very much appreciated that subtle foreshadowing to what happened last week.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

100% intentional

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"BREAK HIS BACK, DADDY!"

Judy lusts for sibling death. And siblings, apparently!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Pretty remarkable that they didnt restrict Roys access to the shotgun after the first time he waved it around.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

It's the south and they are evangelical, guns are like an extension of the soul

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Golden Bee posted:

100% intentional

Yeah, I realized that when Judy yelled out to break his back.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Falukorv posted:

Pretty remarkable that they didnt restrict Roys access to the shotgun after the first time he waved it around.

The first words out of my mouth were "WAIT WHY DOES HE STILL HAVE THAT"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

The first words out of my mouth were "WAIT WHY DOES HE STILL HAVE THAT"

He could’ve found it while the family was pointed ignoring him. Do you think the gemstones had a gun safe in 1993?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dementia is no reason to take away someone's right to bear arms.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

muscles like this! posted:

They're definitely taking inspiration from the Bakkers seeing as they were the big husband and wife team and had a Christian theme park.

Oh, good call, and you're right.

As for the latest episode, drat this show is good. This was the first time I felt like the actual dramatic tension outweighed the comedy, and that's not a bad thing at all. I was honestly nervous for the characters a few times.

The whole episode, I never really knew which way Eli was going to go. Was he going to launder that money? How was he going to deal with his dad killing Glendon? So much going on with Eli. Then to end it the way they did with Junior obviously plotting his revenge, but hinting that he might somehow know Eli had something to do with Glendon disappearing. Yeah, I cannot wait for next Sunday.

The biggest part that hit home for me was Eli's dad and Alzheimer's. That's what took my grandmother from us, but the portrayal of it on this show is just so dead-on accurate. Minus the shotgun, that's almost exactly how she was before the end of the road.

Beyond all that, the kid actors playing Jesse and Judy are just stellar, and I forgot how much I loved cigarette merch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The Bakkers are interesting to base something off of because they went against a lot of the Fallwell led evangelical line of thinking, especially Tammy Faye. She's somewhat of a legend in the LGBT community. They were awful crooks but they didn't have that hateful streak that the majority of Evangelicalism is plagued with, which makes me think they were much more sincere in their beliefs than say, Joel Osteen.