Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
My sister and her partner had all the symptoms of omicron, including a sore throat so bad her partner had trouble swallowing. They both tested negative on antigens. This was on Saturday.

Guess who's feeling a little better and back at work today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Joementum posted:

let me tell you about tolerating 3,000 deaths per day, my man

https://twitter.com/SecretaryPete/status/1488176683098284034

wow it's been like, months since i had the disassociation crack/ping.
thank you for that.

holy gently caress

oh poo poo there's the chaser

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CPU Abuser posted:

The older people get, the more likely they've capitulated to the demands of the socioeconomic system. it's basically a question of duration versus endurance.

The pressure starts as soon as their brains start processing the cradle-to-grave pervasive propaganda that's shoved into people through every type of media from popular music to television, and that simply keeps flowing non-stop.

Sooner or later, most people resolve this by conforming. The older you get, the more likely this has happened.

Young Dems are worried about COVID because of ideology. Unlike me, who is blowing off the whole disease thing because of not ideology

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Back again with some more Prison COVID Simulator nonsense. I present to you the CSPAM County Hoosegow

Ten of the starting 20 employees are randomly selected to be inmates. In the event that an inmate "stays at home," another inmate will be selected to replace them. Shift is 12 hours from 6AM to 6PM, with Omicron strain being given to a random employee in the main building. Additional employees were hired bringing the grand total to 35.

There are two pro-vax posters in the infirmary (to the right of the top cells) to begin with.

Multiple infections right off the bat, including amongst the inmates. The inmates are also the first in the building to go full pro-vaccination. :iiam:

On day 11, I noticed that some of the prisoners were wearing N95s and respirators. This is clearly contraband and were subsequently removed. To prevent this going forward, all inmates are going to receive cloth masks.

The entire jail had gone pro-vaccine. A higher up figure in the county decided to rectify this and had some anti-vaccine posters put up in the main building on Day 27. It had no effect.

Also on Day 27, we had our first Very Sick case in the prison. They received an honorary title for being the first. Congrats to Bad Luck Lena (she recovers).

Second Very Sick on Day 31.

On Day 50, following a virus mutation, more anti-vax propaganda was put up in the main building. Two days later, all of the inmates became the first anti-vaxxers in the facility. Somehow. :iiam:

More Very Sick reported on Day 64.

https://imgur.com/37EuTy6

On Day 65, we had another Very Sick individual interacting strangely with their cell's toilet. The very next day, Advanced Pissing Technique went into an ICU state. Day 67, they disappeared from their cell (replaced with another employee).

I continued the simulation up to day 90 before wrapping it up. Advanced Pissing Technique never left the ICU, nor returned to the jail. The transmissibility through the fence "bars" gives me another idea for digital horrors.

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
if we all set ourselves on fire simultaneously do we achieve herd inflammability?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

MLK Ultra posted:

wow it's been like, months since i had the disassociation crack/ping.
thank you for that.

holy gently caress

I hate this man.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

CPU Abuser posted:

Only thing right now is "more contagious than BA.1". But that's all we've heard of TTBOMK, and it's just a drop in the bucket

Immune evasion and pathogenicity are still in the vapor zone. I guess, not enough clinical data.

Right now, the only place seeing much BA.2 is South Africa TTBOMK, but I expect that'll change. Shortly.

BA.2 has been dominant in Denmark since ~ 2022-01-09

A few other places too, like India. Hard to tell really with surveillance generally being poo poo and also lagging.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I dunno why I thought kicking my day off by watching a video of a guy set himself on fire was a good idea, but wooo boy am I regretting it now :stare:

Probably not as much as he regrets it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the goonsensus on dates to use to compare Biden and Trump's covid deaths?

Since Biden did literally nothing about covid besides distribute the vaccines trump funded and pledged to buy, I don't feel like Biden should get to put all the deaths in February on trump's plate.

Bunch of dates to use:
11/4/20 when trump was no longer "in charge" -245k dead then
12/1/20, when infections before election day had turned into deaths - 288k dead
Edit 1/6 when trump got couped and no longer had any power or social media access would be a fun cutoff - 390k
1/20/21 when Biden got sworn in -435k dead. 886k dead on 1/20/22, and likely will backfill higher, so Biden higher than Trump here
2/20/21 - when all the infections before inauguration day had turned into deaths - 520k dead. Biden probably doesnt hit 520k from this date
Edit : 3/1 - one year from first death, counts deaths from secondary infections prior to inaug day - 539k. Biden probably doesn't break this one either

Also 500k dead on worldometers is 2/10/21
Of course there's the issue of comparing total months vs making sure each president gets responsibility for the winter wave

Edit for last one, if assume 2k dead/day for next 21 days (it's higher now but should start dropping) that gets us to 950k total a year after everything is on Biden, which would be under half the total death compared to trump

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 31, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

mdemone posted:

THERE! ARE! FOUR! TESTS!

speaking of I still don't have the free tests I ordered lmao

but I guess at least I'm not currently living in an apartment because then it'd be two test kits for an entire building

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
In this house we say ‘Eat safe today’.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

MLK Ultra posted:

my partner and i have been asking each other if we have our masks every day for two years now, just because there was 1 time early on we forgot

it's worked into the "i love you, drive safe, see you tonight" morning goodbye loool

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teenage Riot posted:

China being Covid Zero is the only reason anything is stocked anymore at all though

china bravely remaining Covid Zero is the only reason society hasn't completely disintegrated in the US

any disruption in the flow of treats is untenable

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

What's the goonsensus on dates to use to compare Biden and Trump's covid deaths?

Since Biden did literally nothing about covid besides distribute the vaccines trump funded and pledged to buy, I don't feel like Biden should get to put all the deaths in February on trump's plate.

Bunch of dates to use:
1/20/21 when Biden got sworn in -435k dead. 886k dead on 1/20/22, and likely will backfill higher, so Biden higher than Trump here
2/20/21 - when all the infections before inauguration day had turned into deaths - 520k dead

Of course there's the issue of comparing total months vs making sure each president gets responsibility for the winter wave

every from 1/20/21 onwards is 100% on biden

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That’s-a spicy greaseball

yep

bedpan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 31, 2022

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

Bunch of dates to use:
Edit 1/6 when trump got couped and no longer had any power or social media access would be a fun cutoff
2/20/21 - when all the infections before inauguration day had turned into deaths - 520k dead

Edit for last one, if assume 2k dead/day for next 21 days (it's higher now but should start dropping) that gets us to 950k total a year after everything is on Biden, which would be under half the total death compared to trump

Don’t worry, it was only poor people.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mastershakeman posted:

Bunch of dates to use:
Edit 1/6 when trump got couped and no longer had any power or social media access would be a fun cutoff - 390k

I think the nicest you could be to Biden is to use the last date. Practically, it's been easier to say that more people died under Biden than under Trump, although I think Trump has the higher death rate because the mass death only started in March 2020.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Oh poo poo, here come all the media darling experts to simultaneously discount COVID deaths ahead of the Grand Open Bidening tomorrow, with one going so far as to say the numbers should no longer be published. Yes, they're probably not entirely accurate anymore because it's literally everywhere including hospitals, and they're counted if they've tested PCR-positive within 30 days of death, but then the opposite is true for everyone lingering for longer or dying from long COVID complications. That part is conveniently left out, of course.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

wtf is the pelican variant?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

mastershakeman posted:

Bunch of dates to use:

Is there any culpability (on trump) for setting a stage where we have these crazed anti-vaxx and anti-mask idiots? I think there’s a cascade of failures and it starts with Trump but also Biden spent the last year not doing poo poo because he wanted to be the one to open the economy.

By cascade of failures I mean trump’s cdc, Birx, Fauci etc hosed us right out of the gate too. We’ll never know how things could have been had they, at the top, pushed masks and then vaccines and not made this a divisive/political issue to attempt to maintain power.

We’d never have done COVID zero like China but maybe things would be better and people wouldn’t be shot over mask policies in stores or school boards threatened etc (they’d be threatened for race issues anyway).

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

This doesn't really go over as well as you may have thought in your head tbh

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Zisky posted:

not much, wtf is the pelican variant with you?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

love is a battlefield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCMMfUrAJco

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Glumwheels posted:

Is there any culpability (on trump) for setting a stage where we have these crazed anti-vaxx and anti-mask idiots? I think there’s a cascade of failures and it starts with Trump but also Biden spent the last year not doing poo poo because he wanted to be the one to open the economy.

By cascade of failures I mean trump’s cdc, Birx, Fauci etc hosed us right out of the gate too. We’ll never know how things could have been had they, at the top, pushed masks and then vaccines and not made this a divisive/political issue to attempt to maintain power.

We’d never have done COVID zero like China but maybe things would be better and people wouldn’t be shot over mask policies in stores or school boards threatened etc (they’d be threatened for race issues anyway).

Oh, for sure. But now the responsibility is on Biden because he could have changed things and saved lives, instead he just continued Trump's policies. Ironically, George W. Bush would've done a great job with covid, he believed that pandemics happened every 100 years and put some systems into place to try to stop the next Spanish Flu.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

This doesn't really go over as well as you may have thought in your head tbh

you were right

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Joementum posted:

let me tell you about tolerating 3,000 deaths per day, my man

https://twitter.com/SecretaryPete/status/1488176683098284034

Nobody uses the buses here because there's one or two murders a year (of associates), meanwhile we can't have mask mandates.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Zisky posted:

Are you talking about this? https://www.birdlife.org/news/2022/01/10/israel-and-uk-facing-record-breaking-bird-flu-outbreaks/

I haven't heard any news since the one post out of Israel. Haven't really tried to follow it, or many/any of the other potentially devastating viruses being detected popping up around the globe lately, tbh.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Chamale posted:

Oh, for sure. But now the responsibility is on Biden because he could have changed things and saved lives, instead he just continued Trump's policies. Ironically, George W. Bush would've done a great job with covid, he believed that pandemics happened every 100 years and put some systems into place to try to stop the next Spanish Flu.

Iirc he learned about the Spanish Flu from a book someone gave him and was astonished at how unprepared the US was for the next pandemic.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Are you talking about this? https://www.birdlife.org/news/2022/01/10/israel-and-uk-facing-record-breaking-bird-flu-outbreaks/

I haven't heard any news since the one post out of Israel. Haven't really tried to follow it, or many/any of the other potentially devastating viruses being detected popping up around the globe lately, tbh.

677P.Pelican from that Denmark chart up the page.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
loving lol that Bush single handedly built a robust pandemic response program that was immediately gutted by republicans and killed by trump.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_I8mZKFfto

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 31, 2022

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
lol
https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/doomer-doctors-covid-twitter

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

Long ago I got very mad about people intentionally and unintentionally pushing "endemic=harmless" but the anger turned to depression and apathy. Horrible, awful things are endemic.

I can't worry about that now. I spend my energy on trying to prevent catching COVID.

I'm an insufferable nerd, the most aggravating part to me personally is misusing the word 'endemic'. It's not a noun!!!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Wisest Moron posted:

The Secret has metastasized into the background ideological radiation of society and now we're all going to suffer for it.

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, it owns.

The Secret isn't a good metaphor imo because in that case it was obvious that wishful thinking and willfull delusion had no effect on the material world whereas right now, wishful thinking that the economy is booming and the virus is no big deal is working perfectly in inflating the stock market

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gee david have you considered that maybe old democrats are loving delusional?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Asproigerosis posted:

loving lol that Bush single handedly built a robust pandemic response program that was immediately gutted by republicans and killed by trump.

They also killed his program for AIDS in Africa (PEPFAR) under Obama.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

if we all set ourselves on fire simultaneously do we achieve herd inflammability?

flammable & inflammable are synonyms :eng101:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

doctors telling you poo poo you don't want to hear? simply listen to someone else, who is not a doctor. bing bong

it's called getting a second opinion

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1488270248168292352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
January being a 60k death must be top 5 right?