Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MetaJew posted:

My wife has bought random sized bowls and doesn't seem to be concerned with dishwasher loading efficiency, and I struggle not to lose my mind.

Might be news to you but there is a whole range of ways to feel between FUKEN CRAZY and OMG THE BEST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MetaJew posted:

I recall seeing these a few years ago while trying to figure out how to get my spice cabinet organized. The price hurts a bit, but if they really are worth it I might finally buy them.

I like them. The wide single-shelf ones are good for putting flour and sugar on top shelves where it would be more of a pain to take half of the cabinet contents out to reach them in the back. The skinny three-high ones are sized well for spices. They aren't as helpful on lower shelves with items too tall to stack two high, because then it's easier just to reach in above everything and pluck out the one item you need.

Edit: just realized our spice racks are two-high, not three.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 16, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

All our cooking basics are in the pull-out drawer under the stove and I just realized this is possible because we don't have an oven.
Pull-out drawers in all lower cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom!!! :peanut:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

peanut posted:

All our cooking basics are in the pull-out drawer under the stove and I just realized this is possible because we don't have an oven.
Pull-out drawers in all lower cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom!!! :peanut:

Not enough room to store pots and pans that way but I'd endorse it more than my current apartment's "two drawers more than 4" wide, total".

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Countertop clutter drives me mad and I nerd out a lot about how to reduce visual clutter. We did a small-scale kitchen renovation last year where we took down wall cabinets, painted remaining walls and cabinetry and had a custom range hood built. This isn't my kitchen, but it was my inspiration photo for the range hood and ours looks almost identical. There are 3 interior shelves on each side which are great for storing spices and oils and keeping countertops clear.

In general, my strategy with a lot of household items like dish soap, hand soap, salt, oil, etc. is to buy stuff in bulk and then decant into prettier containers that go with my decor. Less plastic waste, more economical for our large family and more aesthetically pleasing. Like I love my Evermill spice rack. Wish they had a wider spice selection but it looks great, you buy spice refills and the containers are magnetic so they're always facing the right direction.

You don't even necessarily need a specialized item or lazy susan to make countertop clutter look more organized; sometimes just decanting into a nicer container and/or grouping stuff into a cheap little tray helps. Like this salt pig from a potter friend looks nicer than having the store bought container sitting out.

Likewise, I got this wooden tray at the flea market for $5 and bought some pretty vintage glass containers for sugar and butter. The same amount of crap is still out on the counter, but it just looks better and is grouped in a way that makes sense for our daily flow.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Iittala's Teema when they're doing bright colours (like now there's a nice red, yellow, and blue).

These are perfect!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

That’s not my style, amythystbliss, but those are neat pieces that harmonize well together.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Are there any good resources which catalog different interior decoration styles?

I looked at various interior decoration subreddits and it’s mainly same-y questions about the same few aesthetics in the same few types of spaces.

I didn’t find anything specific on Wikipedia either. So I have looked at the types of housing listed here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_house_styles) then Google interior decoration for those types of houses.

Instagram also hasn’t been useful. It’s generally mansions or penthouses, and the same spaces pop up over and over in the different feeds.

:siren: Basically I’d appreciate any goon recommendations for a resource that’s like a blog which posts examples of different styles, and a big list of styles with descriptions, would be appreciated.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Googling "history of interior design styles" gets you a lot, but really I think you're looking for a book. I would go to your library and look there for a 101-level overview.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Anne Whateley posted:

Googling "history of interior design styles" gets you a lot, but really I think you're looking for a book. I would go to your library and look there for a 101-level overview.

Luckily many libraries across this great nation have ebooks at the ready for checkout.

Thank you friend.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I'd much prefer written down stuff but I'd stumbled across this guy last year and he does a decent job conveying some style types.

https://youtu.be/s-sdIPkMSOk

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

peanut posted:

lol just lol if all your dishes match

Wait, you mean other people didn't just buy a case of plates from the restaurant supply store?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Liquid Communism posted:

Wait, you mean other people didn't just buy a case of plates from the restaurant supply store?

Na, we just inherit full sets with a dozen coffee cups, saucers, cake plates, side plates, and dinner plates. Dont forget the serving dishes too.

E: i dont know 11 other people i would ever want to have over for coffee...different age i guess.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 19, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

amethystbliss posted:

Countertop clutter drives me mad and I nerd out a lot about how to reduce visual clutter.

I have so much cabinet and cupboard space in the kitchen that I'm able to keep just the fire extinguisher (in the shape of a duck, I forget the designer) and the electric kettle (which I use every day) on the counters. The coffee machine and toaster are on an an open shelf between cabinets on the opposite wall, above the microwave oven, because I don't have anything else to put there. I think it's where the refrigerator used to be, and that's why there's an electric outlet, and no door.

kreeningsons posted:

These are perfect!!!

:tipshat:

Liquid Communism posted:

I got some plates from a restaurant and they're way too big to fit in my dishwasher lmao. Arabian lautasia, vielä! (Made in the UAE) Not going to translate that one because about 100% of foreigners wouldn't get it anyway. They don't even fit in the drying cupboard well.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Random question but has anybody tried sitting on any Thos Moser sofas? I was considering a Vita Sofa or a Windward sofa but was kind of hesistant since it looks like they’re more of a bench style.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Cross-posting this from the Home Zone thread:

I wanna do something with this wall in the family room that has a fireplace and built-in entertainment center:

There's a big sectional couch opposite of this, and I guess the main goal I'm going for is to get a TV that is bigger & centered on this wall. The height of the current TV is good, just needs to move to the left. Center of the couch is basically looking right between the fireplace & TV.

The fireplace is wood burning, which I'm never going to use as-is. If I converted it to gas I might use it once in awhile but not really as a heat source.

Guess I'm looking for some ideas of what might be possible here. I'd be tempted to just seal off the fireplace & built-in (maybe leave part of it as a media cabinet), then I could put a bigger TV right in the center of the wall and not have to worry about the big shroud around the fireplace getting in the way of my desired mounting height, as well as heat from the fireplace messing up the TV.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

fletcher posted:

Cross-posting this from the Home Zone thread:

I wanna do something with this wall in the family room that has a fireplace and built-in entertainment center:

There's a big sectional couch opposite of this, and I guess the main goal I'm going for is to get a TV that is bigger & centered on this wall. The height of the current TV is good, just needs to move to the left. Center of the couch is basically looking right between the fireplace & TV.

The fireplace is wood burning, which I'm never going to use as-is. If I converted it to gas I might use it once in awhile but not really as a heat source.

Guess I'm looking for some ideas of what might be possible here. I'd be tempted to just seal off the fireplace & built-in (maybe leave part of it as a media cabinet), then I could put a bigger TV right in the center of the wall and not have to worry about the big shroud around the fireplace getting in the way of my desired mounting height, as well as heat from the fireplace messing up the TV.

I would paint the bookshelf to match the fireplace, get rid of the tv and put other stuff in there, and get a rug. The wall color is pretty beige too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do you have a budget in mind? The built-in doesn't mesh with the surroundings at all imo and if you're not a fireplace person I'd really think about just treating it all as one big blank slate. The only problem you might have is the flooring under the fireplace, unless you have spare tiles.

Do you have more art? Photos? Books? Into plants? If you did reclaim space what would you want to have here other than a TV? Is the sectional centered to the wall?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Dave posted:

Do you have a budget in mind? The built-in doesn't mesh with the surroundings at all imo and if you're not a fireplace person I'd really think about just treating it all as one big blank slate. The only problem you might have is the flooring under the fireplace, unless you have spare tiles.

Do you have more art? Photos? Books? Into plants? If you did reclaim space what would you want to have here other than a TV? Is the sectional centered to the wall?

Yup got more art and photos to hang, and down for plants and stuff, and had some ideas for painting the whole interior of the house. That stuff im not so worried about, really just want to take care of the fireplace / built in situation and be able to mount a big TV on the center of the wall. Didn't have a particular budget in mind I'm flexible there. Sounds like just covering the fireplace with the blank slate route isn't such a crazy idea.

edit: I do have some extra tiles as well that the previous home owner left me! Edge of the couch lines up with the right side of the built in media center thing

fletcher fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 29, 2022

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Why that wall for a TV? Also what's behind the entertainment center wall? Could you take it out and re-drywall OR convert it to something more useful like a bookshelf (which wont help with your TV situation).

Really it seems like the worst wall to put a TV on if the one to the right is available.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm such a glutton for symmetry that I would probably nix that built in and make a new one that ties into the fireplace and gives you shelving for books or plants, but then frees up the wall for art and the tv.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I think I need more photos of the room up figure out your options.

With a big budget I would do a low vapor fireplace https://www.a-fireplace.com/advance-water-vapor-fireplace-inserts/ with the TV above it (but not too high)

Or maybe fireplace in the corner and TV centered on the wall

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

falz posted:

Really it seems like the worst wall to put a TV on if the one to the right is available.
My thought too. The built-in looks to be fairly high-quality (as opposed to the mantle), but it's really limiting in terms of television size and placement. I'd convert the built-in to bookshelves or an in-wall cabinet, replace the mantle, and put the television somewhere else entirely if possible.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Are there any good resources which catalog different interior decoration styles?

modernism

started in the early 20th century, and obviously encompasses a lot of things besides interior design. it was a reaction to the highly ornamental/decorative styles that came before like victorian, art deco and art nouveau. complexity gave way to simplicity. despite the claims of a certain idiotic poster from way back, modern does not mean "recent" in this context.

the philip johnson quote on the wikipedia page is pretty good

"Today industrial design is functionally motivated and follows the same principles as modern architecture: machine-like simplicity, smoothness of surface, avoidance of ornament ... It is perhaps the most fundamental contrast between the two periods of design that in 1900 the Decorative Arts possessed ..."

also key is instead of form over function, function over form. modern furniture is only focused on retaining aspects that are necessary to the function of the item. For example with an eames shell chair, every component is necessary for function, such as the cross beams on the support. the curvature of the shell is to properly support the back and arms.

another quote from wikipedia that sums this up well

"Functionalist designers would consider the interaction of the design with its user and how many of the features, such as shape, colour, and size, would conform to the human posture. Western design generally, whether architectural or design of furniture, had for millennia sought to convey an idea of lineage, a connection with tradition and history. However, the modern movement sought newness, originality, technical innovation, and ultimately the message that it conveyed spoke of the present and the future, rather than of what had gone before it."

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

falz posted:

Why that wall for a TV? Also what's behind the entertainment center wall? Could you take it out and re-drywall OR convert it to something more useful like a bookshelf (which wont help with your TV situation).

On the right side of my pic it's just a short wall then it opens up to the kitchen:

The wall off to the left side of the pic is completely filled by windows & the door to the backyard.

Behind it is just an exterior wall, with the bump out for the chimney & built-in:

I'd also like to put a cat tree in this room :)

The Dave posted:

I'm such a glutton for symmetry that I would probably nix that built in and make a new one that ties into the fireplace and gives you shelving for books or plants, but then frees up the wall for art and the tv.

I like this, but I feel the TV ends up being too high if I keep the fireplace. I don't want to have to look up at it.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I think I need more photos of the room up figure out your options.

With a big budget I would do a low vapor fireplace https://www.a-fireplace.com/advance-water-vapor-fireplace-inserts/ with the TV above it (but not too high)

Or maybe fireplace in the corner and TV centered on the wall

That would be cool, something with a smaller footprint like that would allow me to keep some sort of fireplace. Ideally I don't want to be doing something too weird here that makes it harder to sell this place in the future (not planning on moving but not planning on being here forever)

I was thinking something like this maybe:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fwiw our tv is above a high chair rail so we put it on a fireplace wall mount even though there isn’t one below it, but it allows us to bring it down when we want a better viewing angle but have the ability to sneak it back up higher.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Man that fireplace is in just the stupidest spot. There's no room to it's left for seating, it really should be centered on that wall.

I'd play with putting the tv on your couch wall with different furniture to see if you can make something work. Ie not a huge couch that takes up the whole room but a standard couch and chairs, not pressed up against the walls.

Is it possible? Idk but sketch it out with paper or something and move pieces around?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

fletcher posted:

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

On the right side of my pic it's just a short wall then it opens up to the kitchen:

The wall off to the left side of the pic is completely filled by windows & the door to the backyard.

Behind it is just an exterior wall, with the bump out for the chimney & built-in:

I'd also like to put a cat tree in this room :)

I like this, but I feel the TV ends up being too high if I keep the fireplace. I don't want to have to look up at it.

That would be cool, something with a smaller footprint like that would allow me to keep some sort of fireplace. Ideally I don't want to be doing something too weird here that makes it harder to sell this place in the future (not planning on moving but not planning on being here forever)

I was thinking something like this maybe:

Are you moving the fireplace 6’ to the right in that mock up? How do you do that without moving your chimney? Replace with electric?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are each of those squares 1x1 feet? if so that's a bit low on clearance between the speakers/media stuff and the sofa arms

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Dave posted:

Fwiw our tv is above a high chair rail so we put it on a fireplace wall mount even though there isn’t one below it, but it allows us to bring it down when we want a better viewing angle but have the ability to sneak it back up higher.

Oh that's an interesting idea. If I had a clever way to keep the fireplace I'd consider it but I'm really leaning towards just covering it up.

falz posted:

Man that fireplace is in just the stupidest spot. There's no room to it's left for seating, it really should be centered on that wall.

I'd play with putting the tv on your couch wall with different furniture to see if you can make something work. Ie not a huge couch that takes up the whole room but a standard couch and chairs, not pressed up against the walls.

Is it possible? Idk but sketch it out with paper or something and move pieces around?

It really is in the stupidest spot possible, the fireplace & media center placement is the worst part about this house. I do like having the humongous couch though

BigFactory posted:

Are you moving the fireplace 6’ to the right in that mock up? How do you do that without moving your chimney? Replace with electric?

Nope, idea would be to just cover up the fireplace with drywall & texture. The mockup is basically the whole wall to wall from the first pic I posted.

actionjackson posted:

are each of those squares 1x1 feet? if so that's a bit low on clearance between the speakers/media stuff and the sofa arms

It's a little deceiving from the angle I posted, there's actually a pretty good chunk of space between the sofa and media stuff

Thanks again for the input everybody!

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

This might not be the right place to post this but my wife and I just moved into a less sprawling house and the kitchen is tripping me up. Can anybody point me to an actually good article or book on home kitchen layout/organization? I am hitting a wall with Google where I can only find cutesy Pinterest storage "hacks". I'll attach some photos in an edit from my computer in case anybody has any practical tips. Pardon the boxes and clutter, we're in the "everything is here, oh crap everything is here" stage of the move. I know we have enough space between the kitchen and pantry but I'm struggling to not repeat the nonsense cupboards and drawers that have been my kitchen life the past 5 years.

Edit:

Justa Dandelion fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 31, 2022

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Justa Dandelion posted:

This might not be the right place to post this but my wife and I just moved into a less sprawling house and the kitchen is tripping me up. Can anybody point me to an actually good article or book on home kitchen layout/organization? I am hitting a wall with Google where I can only find cutesy Pinterest storage "hacks". I'll attach some photos in an edit from my computer in case anybody has any practical tips. Pardon the boxes and clutter, we're in the "everything is here, oh crap everything is here" stage of the move. I know we have enough space between the kitchen and pantry but I'm struggling to not repeat the nonsense cupboards and drawers that have been my kitchen life the past 5 years.

Im dealing with this right now. Best thing i can tell you is to evaluate what you have and what you actually use. Try and par down on some of it. I'm going to be adding a mobile kitchen island that has open storage on the bottom. I plan on put my mixer and other decent looking, but not often used small appliances there. If you dont mind a little counter clutter, you can put your most used cooking utensils in a decorative vessel near the cooktop to save on drawer space.

E: oh my. I just saw the pics. You have no counter space! You might consider a mobile island to make cooking easier since there is no counter by the stove. Youd have to figure out where it stays when not in use. Maybe utilize the tops of the cabinets for stock pots?

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 31, 2022

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

ZombieCrew posted:

Im dealing with this right now. Best thing i can tell you is to evaluate what you have and what you actually use. Try and par down on some of it. I'm going to be adding a mobile kitchen island that has open storage on the bottom. I plan on put my mixer and other decent looking, but not often used small appliances there. If you dont mind a little counter clutter, you can put your most used cooking utensils in a decorative vessel near the cooktop to save on drawer space.

That's the plan with the wire rack that's on casters. We have a butcher block coming that fits the top for additional workspace. We're definitely looking to drastically reduce the amount of crap we have lying around. Best of luck with your situation.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Justa Dandelion posted:

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Thank you!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Wow, that's a cramped kitchen.

If it is a one story house, over the stove microwave/range hood combo and add a roof exhaust vent. This would free up some counter space.

Mobile kitchen island with a butcher block or other solid top for some food prep or baking needs.

You could install a smaller upper cabinet above the existing wall cabinets to get some more storage space or just store items on top of the cabinets, but eventually dust will accumulate.

I imagine you could build a rail or shelf to span the cabinets, going over the sink for a little more storage of rarely used items.

The pantry looks decently sized.

Maybe install some wall cabinets above the refrigerator to get some stuff out of view.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Could you move the wall outlet/switch here up or to the side, and place the fridge against that wall instead, would that fit?
If you can do that, you could probably add some more (semi-)permanent counter space next to the stove.

Although I see there's also a vent on that wall, maybe not the best to block that off.

You could also switch the fridge and stove around, and install a small countertop against that corner. Maybe add a cabinet or some storage for cookware above it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Put the coffee maker in the window over the sink, or use those outlets to the right of the fridge. A shelf or rack over the trashcan(s).

The standalone stove is frustrating.
Some kind of flat space and rack near the stove would help a lot, the wire rack is an ok start. Something above the stove eventually, but for now you could try magnetic hooks or baskets on the side of the fridge to hold tools, oil, salt, and other essentials.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 1, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Justa Dandelion posted:

Edit:

It would be good to see it with everything put away. It looks like there’s plenty of storage space just not a lot of countertop space.

One of the best things i ever did was get stuff off countertops with dedicated places to put everything. There is an outlet in the pantry closet so the microwave goes in there. The stand mixer, food processor, blender and crock pot all have homes in cabinets and get put away when not in use. Coffee is a French press that gets put away. So there’s just a toaster and electric kettle out on counters and it makes food prep that much easier.

They make cutlery holders that fit in a drawer so you can get your big bulky one off the counter. Stuff like that. Just go through all the things that you think you need on a counter, or would put out on a counter if you had more space, and brainstorm how you could get it put away. Might not work for everything but the one thing you have going for you is cupboard and pantry space.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I can't find it right now but ikea has a short and sweet video on where to put poo poo in a kitchen. I followed it when I redid mine a year ago and it's a great idea.

Basically, designate areas and put things there appropriately.

Serving area: where you store plates, silverware glasses. For me this is the island (dishes in drawers rules)

Cooking prep area: where you store pots and pans, ingredients, spices, spatulas, etc. For me this is to the right of my stove.

Pantry: cans and pasta and stuff.

I also found that having the trash bin easily accessible near the sink (not under it, too annoying) is gold. Mine slides out in a drawer and I can keep it popped out while cooking.

For your kitchen specifically, the fact that there's no counter space near your stove makes this impossible. You should really see if you can separate the stove and fridge to add counter space at the stove.

I can't tell but can you get rid of that wire rack and move the fridge there?

falz fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 1, 2022