Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Do a lot of people really do that

i mean i did it before i even knew it was considered a thing with its own name lol. i figured thats how you're supposed to use controllers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Im guessing the heel of my hand is gonna hit that b button a lot

I don't know how you think hands work, but if your thumb is on the stick you're gonna have a hard time hitting that B button with the heel of your hand or palm unless you have some really odd grip.

e: helps if I quote the right post

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 31, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Im guessing the heel of my hand is gonna hit that b button a lot

The heel of your hand is going to be well below it. You aren't gripping that thing up high and sticking your thumb out sideways.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nice bezel.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

lets hope a bunch of people will balk at the price and cancel their preorders and we'll get them earlier

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mistermojo posted:

lets hope a bunch of people will balk at the price and cancel their preorders and we'll get them earlier

:pray:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RandomBlue posted:

I don't know how you think hands work, but if your thumb is on the stick you're gonna have a hard time hitting that B button with the heel of your hand or palm unless you have some really odd grip.
Aren't there like four back buttons on this thing? Stick + face shouldn't be necessary.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Aren't there like four back buttons on this thing? Stick + face shouldn't be necessary.

what if you need to hit a really uncommon button like "A" and not one of the multiple back triggers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Press the back paddle that’s bound to A.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The heel of your hand is going to be well below it. You aren't gripping that thing up high and sticking your thumb out sideways.

You telling me how to hold my Deck?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what if you need to hit a really uncommon button like "A" and not one of the multiple back triggers

It's a PC you can make any of the buttons do whatever you want

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

You telling me how to hold my Deck?

It seemed like you needed some help.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

pseudorandom name posted:

Press the back paddle that’s bound to A.

this seems like an extremely poor solution, in terms of muscle memory

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

It's a PC you can make any of the buttons do whatever you want

So much this. Steam controller binding code combined with a bunch of extra buttons and inputs.

I'll probably spend more time mapping inputs than playing the game, but that's fun too .. right?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ya know people make a deal outta the B button falling off the edge, but modern XBox controllers have the same thing with the B button being slightly different from the others too and no one mentions how that's weird.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

v1ld posted:

So much this. Steam controller binding code combined with a bunch of extra buttons and inputs.

I'll probably spend more time mapping inputs than playing the game, but that's fun too .. right?

Yes. Playing video games is for the weak, the real connoisseur understands the thrill of spending hours fine tuning settings and mods and then playing for like thirty minutes tops.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this seems like an extremely poor solution, in terms of muscle memory

The solution that doesn't require weirdly contorting your hands and fingers is the better one. imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
me: what if i could use the face buttons
thread: that's too hard. have you tried rebinding face buttons to triggers for some ungodly reason

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yes. Playing video games is for the weak, the real connoisseur understands the thrill of spending hours fine tuning settings and mods and then playing for like thirty minutes tops.

:hmmyes:

It's a PC with controller parts and I'm going to use it as such. Weirdo PC indie games, deep crunchy strategy games, whatever PC work I gotta do when out and about, going to own.

Wonder what modded Skyrim will be like

Feels Villeneuve posted:

thread: that's too hard. have you tried rebinding face buttons to triggers for some ungodly reason

I haven't used a Deck yet, and neither have you. Unless there's a bunch of people out there that have used the Deck bitching about ergonomics then I think you're probably just projecting. Or maybe you've cracked the case on the failure of the Deck, we'll find out!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SCheeseman posted:

The solution that doesn't require weirdly contorting your hands and fingers is the better one. imo

yeha that's why they should have used a normal controller layout!!!

i mean maybe it's fine in person and my super scientific test of "pretend the two buttons nobody knows what to call on the Xbox controller are sticks" isn't representative of how it feels but im pretty sure a lot of people claw grip controllers

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The gently caress would you be using face buttons for on a two-stick game? There's no way do it without moving your thumbs. That'll cost you frags!

But really though paddles are sweet.

E:ok I just googled claw grip and wtf?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 1, 2022

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
lotta people here who haven't used an elite controller with back paddles

gently caress face buttons imo

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Remapping to the rear gives simultaneous access to the all face button functions, the stick and left bumper and trigger. Claw grip sucks, it requires holding the controller in a way it wasn't meant to be held, which is made worse when the controller is actually a portable game system.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not sure a lot of people claw grip their controllers. It looks horribly uncomfortable

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm not sure a lot of people claw grip their controllers. It looks horribly uncomfortable

It is. But it was also the only viable way to play Monster Hunter on the PSP :smithicide:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JazzFlight posted:

Ya know people make a deal outta the B button falling off the edge, but modern XBox controllers have the same thing with the B button being slightly different from the others too and no one mentions how that's weird.
It just looks funnier on the Steam Deck for some reason

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It feels like there are a shocking amount of people buying this product they don’t really know anything about. I’m not talking about waiting for reviews, I mean what it actually looks like and has been advertised to do.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I claw gripped hard for Rocket League. It was the only way i could fly in that game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The PS5 controller does the same thing with the circle button.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeha that's why they should have used a normal controller layout!!!
+

quote:

im pretty sure a lot of people claw grip controllers

Hence why the normal controller layout isn't that great to begin with and we should all embracegrip the rear buttons.

Current controllers aren't that great, we're just used to its limitations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It feels like there are a shocking amount of people buying this product they don’t really know anything about. I’m not talking about waiting for reviews, I mean what it actually looks like and has been advertised to do.

There hasn't really been anything else like it. Closest is GPD Win and it's followups and derivatives, but those used off the shelf hardware, software and are iffy quality at best. SteamOS is exciting, but I foresee a rough launch.

Thinking Switch and PS3 emulation are going to run well is extremely optimistic. For new AAA titles at medium-low at 30fps, should be great.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I claw grip constantly and pretty much any game that uses both sticks also requires you to press the face buttons a lot but, the touchpads are the most valuable part of the Steam Deck and the buttons are the only possible place they could be on the thing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tamba posted:

It is. But it was also the only viable way to play Monster Hunter on the PSP :smithicide:

I never played it on PSP, though I had one.

Current MH lets you use either the d-pad to scroll through your items, losing control of the left joystick and your hunter and running the risk of being flattened, or using left bumper with the face buttons to scroll through your items, letting you keep moving the hunter.

I'll map that to the under buttons and have easy item and ammo scrolling ... if MH runs well on the Deck that is. :ohdear:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's a pity the Deck's touchpads seem to have lost the Steam Controllers 4 clickable buttons each. They each seem to be a single button though, so all is not lost.

But 4 buttons each would have meant there's no need to use the face buttons or d-pad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

All they know is that it's a Valve Switch that plays their Steam Library* and that's all they need or care to think about

*Does not play all of your Steam Library

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

v1ld posted:

It's a pity the Deck's touchpads seem to have lost the Steam Controllers 4 clickable buttons each. They each seem to be a single button though, so all is not lost.

But 4 buttons each would have meant there's no need to use the face buttons or d-pad.
That's a software thing, you can divide up the touchpads however you like. They just don't have the markings engraved on them like the Steam Controller

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The fact that so many people assume you can just throw Windows on it and it'll play better + the recent "I can emulate Switch games on this" derail has me anticipating a massive backlash as units roll in, tbh.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
would it actually be possible to set up doom to play custom wads on this or is that beyond the scope

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

would it actually be possible to set up doom to play custom wads on this or is that beyond the scope

gzdoom would run fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is 99% the reason I’m buying one