Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Triarii posted:

I was working on a prototype for a game with a day/night cycle set on an alien planet with rings around it, and I realized that I had never thought about things like the position of the sun and moon in the sky in a videogame before, and I was going to have to construct a bit of a model of the solar system in my head to figure out where to put things correctly. I went ahead and had the sun rise in the east and set in the west in the familiar fashion, though the opposite would've probably been just as valid (I don't believe having it set in the south is an option). I assumed that the planet's rings are around the equator (is that always the case for ringed planets? beats me) but I didn't want the sun to rise right behind the rings for aesthetic reasons - no problem, I figure I can give the planet a bit of axial tilt like the Earth has so the sun rises to the north of the rings.

Not sure how accurate you'd say my night skybox is - I grabbed a picture of the milky way from nasa and did some photoshoppery to delete the parts of it that made it very obviously a picture of the milky way. Did some shader trickery to make the stars twinkle, and it looked weird to have them completely static so I made the skybox gradually rotate over the course of the night. (The moon has had A Problem in this setting.)

https://i.imgur.com/ZJqrYDG.mp4

Since I did this work, I've been realizing how little I notice this kind of things in games. Most games, I probably couldn't even tell you whether they render the sun or moon at a specific position in the sky at all.

Trying to make this stuff look realistic is an interesting problem, and it piqued my interest, so here's a bunch of suggestions from an astrophysicist:

Moons and rings in a complex planetary system, over a long enough timeline (see Doctor Spaceman's post), tend to stay in the plane of the equator (Earth's moon, being solitary, doesn't experience these effects, which is why it is at a completely different angle closer to the ecliptic than the equator). And, of course, the path of the sun in the sky is in the ecliptic plane, which may or may not line up with east/west exactly, depending on the axial tilt, what season it is, and the latitude of the observer. You have the Sun slightly "north" of the rings, which is fine if the rings are in the south and the observer is in the northern hemisphere, and it's spring or summer. Note that the sun does not follow a straight east-to-west pattern in the sky; if it's summer in the northern hemisphere, it should move from the northeast, to the high south, to the northwest. The equatorial rings, on the other hand, should always go from east to west, but at an angle equal to the latitude. Obviously you don't want to set your game at the equator, 'cause then the rings wouldn't be visible at all edge-on. And obviously it's gotta be spring or summer, so that the rings are illuminated and visible (in fall or winter, you'd be looking at the dark side of the rings). So the rings should be tilted away from you, whereas in this image they look straight up-and-down maybe? It's hard to tell.

Regarding the stars: So how far away from Earth is this planet supposed to be? If it's, like, right nearby in our stellar neighborhood, then taking a star map from Earth is fine, but if this is supposed to be a far distant world, then that may not be a good idea, as looking at that sky and seeing Cassiopeia and Andromeda might break immersion.

I'll second the notion that the twinkling is far too much. Maybe a quarter of the variation you've got now.

Given that it's a full (hosed up) moon, it's probably good to ramp up the contrast on your star map and lower the brightness a little, so that the smaller stars are significantly less visible; the real sky observed with human eyes has a lot more depth of brightness than a computer screen can display unfortunately, so you shouldn't try to imitate what astrophotographers do, which is essentially to artificially brighten up the dimmer stars so that they're visible on the image. Even in a light-pollution-free sky, those images with millions of visible stars in them are lies aided by the trickery of photography. Your sky isn't as far off as all that, but just a little less overall brightness and a bit higher contrast, I would say. It's a bit subjective though because, like I said, you can't actually make it look like the real sky. Leaving out the Milky Way (or other visible galaxiness, if it's not in the Milky Way galaxy) is okay; it's not very visible on a night with a full moon anyway.

The busted-up moon is off the plane of the rings, but that could be the fault of whatever recent cataclysmic event caused it to get all hosed up anyway, so that's fine. But the big weird thing, here, is that the sky is rotating around an axis, but the rings are not. That's hosed up. The rings are part of the sky, they should also move from the perspective on the ground, as the planet rotates underneath them. (Think about it this way - you naturally decided that it looked correct to move the moon with the stars, right? Well rings are just another kind of moon; they should also move with the stars.) The only way they wouldn't appear to move is if they are around the equator, which here they are not. But in describing the first image, you seem to be saying that the rings are equatorial, and that the sun follows the rings somewhat closely. So I think the mistake you are making, here, is that you're making the stars/moon move around an arbitrary axis. They should rotate around the same axis as the Sun, aka rise in the east and set in the west. Which, assuming the rings are equatorial, should be also the rings' axis. In other words, they should rotate such that a star visible on the edge of a ring moves along that ring. If you're in the northern hemisphere, then the point around which they are rotating should be discernible in the northern sky (assuming that it's visible, depending on the latitude and how many mountains get in the way).

On the other hand, if the rings are NOT equatorial, then you've got to move them around over the course of the day and night. (I mean, even equatorial rings should be moving, but since they're basically rotationally symmetric, the motion isn't visible.)

The way I would do it is position everything on a sphere (giving them appropriate angular coordinates (astronomers call these "declination" and "right ascension" for some reason but they're basically latitude and longitude)), including the stars, sun, and rings, and then create a skybox based on that. For the stars, assuming you want to imitate the stars as visible from Earth, I'm sure you can download a csv file of statistics from somewhere and use their angles and magnitudes (you'll have to look up what "magnitude" means to properly convert those into brightnesses; it's a loving stupid system). Now, I assume your planet's axis isn't perfectly aligned with Earth's, so take all those stellar angular coordinates and apply some random arbitrary rotation to them (convert to cartesian coordinates and do a rotation matrix), so that your new equator (declination 0) and poles (declination +90 and -90) are in different places than Earth's. On the other hand, if your planet is far away from Earth, then you should generate a starfield at random; choose right ascension from a uniform distribution but choose declination from a distribution weighed by the cosine of the declination (to account for the fact that there is less sky at extreme declination and more sky around declination 0, because of the shape of a sphere). For the brightness distribution, if I were you I'd find that csv of stars visible from Earth and just copy that but randomize the angles.

Then, just choose a position for the sun in the sky, north of the equator (declination 0) for spring or summer (so that the rings are illuminated). Its declination is a combination of your axial tilt and the season (e.g. for Earth at the northern hemisphere summer solstice, the sun's declination is +23.5 degrees), so basically arbitrary for your purposes, and its right ascension is arbitrary as well. Similarly, choose (a) position(s) for the moon(s); if they're equatorial they should be declination 0, or slightly south of that if they're particularly close to the planet (since the observer is to the north); if they're not equatorial, you can position them arbitrarily, although if you want a full moon effect like you have in your video you should make sure they're opposite the sun. For the rings, assuming a northern hemisphere observer, they'll be circles just south of declination 0, aka lines of constant declination. Exactly where they go (what declinations) depends on their distance from the planet and thicknesses; so do whatever looks good probably. And you can vary their opacity as well. Then you add a time-dependent component, to account for rotation, where each element rotates around the axis - in other words, its right ascension changes by 360 degrees over the course of a full day-night cycle. Then tilt the entire thing by however much you want for the observer's latitude (cartesian rotation matrix again), then do some geometry to map that onto your skybox (assuming it's not a sphere anyway? idk how skyboxes work but I assume it's a cube). Oh and obviously add an effect that turns the sky different colors and dims the stars/moon depending on whether the sun is above the horizon (note that since it's spring/summer, the day will be longer than the night). And you can move clouds across the skybox in a rectilinear fashion.

If the game takes place over seasons or even weeks, then hoo boy you got your work cut out for you - moving the sun and moon(s) around in the sky in an accurate way is gonna take some math, plus you have to change the illumination of the rings.

This all may sound complicated, because the terminology and the sort of spherical mental visualization you need to do are not something that people are generally familiar with. But the math is all extremely easy, so long as you know what a rotation matrix is, and you probably do if you know anything about 3D graphics.

Alternately, if all of that is too much work, I'd recommend just not moving the stars at night at all; players probably won't notice if they're not astronomers and making them move wrong will draw attention to any wrongness. It's super weird for part of the sky to be visibly moving relative to the other parts of the sky, as the stars move relative to the rings in your video, and that's the kind of uncanniness that you want to avoid.

In summary, the biggest problems with your sky are (1) the constellations are recognizable (assuming that this is far from Earth), and (2) the rings and the stars don't look like they're part of the same sky, because (3) the night sky moves differently than the day sky.

Lastly, let me say that it's amazing you're thinking about this at all. Many games and movies that take place on Earth simply put a random static star field in the sky, and make no attempt at realism. So far, it seems pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

DontMockMySmock posted:

Trying to make this stuff look realistic is an interesting problem, and it piqued my interest, so here's a bunch of suggestions from an astrophysicist:

Moons and rings in a complex planetary system, over a long enough timeline (see Doctor Spaceman's post), tend to stay in the plane of the equator (Earth's moon, being solitary, doesn't experience these effects, which is why it is at a completely different angle closer to the ecliptic than the equator). And, of course, the path of the sun in the sky is in the ecliptic plane, which may or may not line up with east/west exactly, depending on the axial tilt, what season it is, and the latitude of the observer. You have the Sun slightly "north" of the rings, which is fine if the rings are in the south and the observer is in the northern hemisphere, and it's spring or summer. Note that the sun does not follow a straight east-to-west pattern in the sky; if it's summer in the northern hemisphere, it should move from the northeast, to the high south, to the northwest. The equatorial rings, on the other hand, should always go from east to west, but at an angle equal to the latitude. Obviously you don't want to set your game at the equator, 'cause then the rings wouldn't be visible at all edge-on. And obviously it's gotta be spring or summer, so that the rings are illuminated and visible (in fall or winter, you'd be looking at the dark side of the rings). So the rings should be tilted away from you, whereas in this image they look straight up-and-down maybe? It's hard to tell.

Regarding the stars: So how far away from Earth is this planet supposed to be? If it's, like, right nearby in our stellar neighborhood, then taking a star map from Earth is fine, but if this is supposed to be a far distant world, then that may not be a good idea, as looking at that sky and seeing Cassiopeia and Andromeda might break immersion.

I'll second the notion that the twinkling is far too much. Maybe a quarter of the variation you've got now.

Given that it's a full (hosed up) moon, it's probably good to ramp up the contrast on your star map and lower the brightness a little, so that the smaller stars are significantly less visible; the real sky observed with human eyes has a lot more depth of brightness than a computer screen can display unfortunately, so you shouldn't try to imitate what astrophotographers do, which is essentially to artificially brighten up the dimmer stars so that they're visible on the image. Even in a light-pollution-free sky, those images with millions of visible stars in them are lies aided by the trickery of photography. Your sky isn't as far off as all that, but just a little less overall brightness and a bit higher contrast, I would say. It's a bit subjective though because, like I said, you can't actually make it look like the real sky. Leaving out the Milky Way (or other visible galaxiness, if it's not in the Milky Way galaxy) is okay; it's not very visible on a night with a full moon anyway.

The busted-up moon is off the plane of the rings, but that could be the fault of whatever recent cataclysmic event caused it to get all hosed up anyway, so that's fine. But the big weird thing, here, is that the sky is rotating around an axis, but the rings are not. That's hosed up. The rings are part of the sky, they should also move from the perspective on the ground, as the planet rotates underneath them. (Think about it this way - you naturally decided that it looked correct to move the moon with the stars, right? Well rings are just another kind of moon; they should also move with the stars.) The only way they wouldn't appear to move is if they are around the equator, which here they are not. But in describing the first image, you seem to be saying that the rings are equatorial, and that the sun follows the rings somewhat closely. So I think the mistake you are making, here, is that you're making the stars/moon move around an arbitrary axis. They should rotate around the same axis as the Sun, aka rise in the east and set in the west. Which, assuming the rings are equatorial, should be also the rings' axis. In other words, they should rotate such that a star visible on the edge of a ring moves along that ring. If you're in the northern hemisphere, then the point around which they are rotating should be discernible in the northern sky (assuming that it's visible, depending on the latitude and how many mountains get in the way).

On the other hand, if the rings are NOT equatorial, then you've got to move them around over the course of the day and night. (I mean, even equatorial rings should be moving, but since they're basically rotationally symmetric, the motion isn't visible.)

The way I would do it is position everything on a sphere (giving them appropriate angular coordinates (astronomers call these "declination" and "right ascension" for some reason but they're basically latitude and longitude)), including the stars, sun, and rings, and then create a skybox based on that. For the stars, assuming you want to imitate the stars as visible from Earth, I'm sure you can download a csv file of statistics from somewhere and use their angles and magnitudes (you'll have to look up what "magnitude" means to properly convert those into brightnesses; it's a loving stupid system). Now, I assume your planet's axis isn't perfectly aligned with Earth's, so take all those stellar angular coordinates and apply some random arbitrary rotation to them (convert to cartesian coordinates and do a rotation matrix), so that your new equator (declination 0) and poles (declination +90 and -90) are in different places than Earth's. On the other hand, if your planet is far away from Earth, then you should generate a starfield at random; choose right ascension from a uniform distribution but choose declination from a distribution weighed by the cosine of the declination (to account for the fact that there is less sky at extreme declination and more sky around declination 0, because of the shape of a sphere). For the brightness distribution, if I were you I'd find that csv of stars visible from Earth and just copy that but randomize the angles.

Then, just choose a position for the sun in the sky, north of the equator (declination 0) for spring or summer (so that the rings are illuminated). Its declination is a combination of your axial tilt and the season (e.g. for Earth at the northern hemisphere summer solstice, the sun's declination is +23.5 degrees), so basically arbitrary for your purposes, and its right ascension is arbitrary as well. Similarly, choose (a) position(s) for the moon(s); if they're equatorial they should be declination 0, or slightly south of that if they're particularly close to the planet (since the observer is to the north); if they're not equatorial, you can position them arbitrarily, although if you want a full moon effect like you have in your video you should make sure they're opposite the sun. For the rings, assuming a northern hemisphere observer, they'll be circles just south of declination 0, aka lines of constant declination. Exactly where they go (what declinations) depends on their distance from the planet and thicknesses; so do whatever looks good probably. And you can vary their opacity as well. Then you add a time-dependent component, to account for rotation, where each element rotates around the axis - in other words, its right ascension changes by 360 degrees over the course of a full day-night cycle. Then tilt the entire thing by however much you want for the observer's latitude (cartesian rotation matrix again), then do some geometry to map that onto your skybox (assuming it's not a sphere anyway? idk how skyboxes work but I assume it's a cube). Oh and obviously add an effect that turns the sky different colors and dims the stars/moon depending on whether the sun is above the horizon (note that since it's spring/summer, the day will be longer than the night). And you can move clouds across the skybox in a rectilinear fashion.

If the game takes place over seasons or even weeks, then hoo boy you got your work cut out for you - moving the sun and moon(s) around in the sky in an accurate way is gonna take some math, plus you have to change the illumination of the rings.

This all may sound complicated, because the terminology and the sort of spherical mental visualization you need to do are not something that people are generally familiar with. But the math is all extremely easy, so long as you know what a rotation matrix is, and you probably do if you know anything about 3D graphics.

Alternately, if all of that is too much work, I'd recommend just not moving the stars at night at all; players probably won't notice if they're not astronomers and making them move wrong will draw attention to any wrongness. It's super weird for part of the sky to be visibly moving relative to the other parts of the sky, as the stars move relative to the rings in your video, and that's the kind of uncanniness that you want to avoid.

In summary, the biggest problems with your sky are (1) the constellations are recognizable (assuming that this is far from Earth), and (2) the rings and the stars don't look like they're part of the same sky, because (3) the night sky moves differently than the day sky.

Lastly, let me say that it's amazing you're thinking about this at all. Many games and movies that take place on Earth simply put a random static star field in the sky, and make no attempt at realism. So far, it seems pretty cool!

I understood like half of this but this sounds like it is probably very smart and helpful.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Stars are pretty, except when they're not.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
In Greedfall you can have 2 companions in your party. It seems to be a decent sized game, I'm going on 45 hours so far. Lots of combat and it seems each npc has maybe 3 battle phrases. In a bossfight, you'll hear the same line repeated like 10 times in 3 minutes. It's driving me crazy.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hector Delgado posted:

In Greedfall you can have 2 companions in your party. It seems to be a decent sized game, I'm going on 45 hours so far. Lots of combat and it seems each npc has maybe 3 battle phrases. In a bossfight, you'll hear the same line repeated like 10 times in 3 minutes. It's driving me crazy.

Ever played Dragon's Dogma? :twisted:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hector Delgado posted:

A bit of poison on my blade and let's go!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crowetron posted:

Ever played Dragon's Dogma? :twisted:

Having played both, at least Pawns in Dragma mix it up depending on what you fight. "Wolves hunt in packs!"

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Pulsarcat posted:

A bit of poison on my blade and let's go!

Stand back, things are about to get dicey!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

DontMockMySmock posted:

I learned a lot from this post!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
FF7 Remake:

Way too much Sephiroth. Feels like the makers of the game couldn't reconcile the entire first chapter of the remake taking place in Midgar with how iconic Sephiroth is for FF7 and crammed him in everywhere they could to compensate. In the original game Midgar only lasts a few hours before you make your way out into the world map and everything opens up. They still had most of disk 1 and disks 2 and 3 to build up Sephiroth as the antagonist so you don't see him too much early on and it's more impactful as more about him is revealed. In the remake he's showing up all the time, either in person or by giving Cloud mako hallucinations so Cloud is acting weird while everyone else doesn't know what's going on. They even made Sephiroth the final boss which seems like it's going to make it less interesting if they close out future chapters by making you fight him again. There's even a form of Bahamut as a boss right before the Sephiroth fight because it's a Final Fantasy and you have to shove a Bahamut in there somewhere.

I just don't understand how they're going to pace things going forward. Midgar in the original was about seven hours of gameplay, the total runtime is probably something like 70-90 hours depending on how many side quests you do. For it to match up to the original they're either going to have to seriously rush through most of the story or stretch the remake out to 10 games with this same level of production quality.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Hector Delgado posted:

There came a point in that game where I was pretty finished with it and just wanted to clear out my quests. I know I guess one can make the argument that any open world game quests kind of just falls into like three categories... I think the trick is to dress it up so it doesn't feel like it's the same three quests (Witcher 3 did this probably the best, I think). Greedfall has an overwhelming amount of sidequests where you just go to a location and talk to a person. The last 15 sidequests I did, I finished in about ten minutes, skipping whatever dialogue there was. Fast-travel here, talk to this person. Fast-travel here, talk to this person. Fast-travel back, talk to the first person again. Quest complete. Repeat 14 times.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

FF7 Remake:

Way too much Sephiroth. Feels like the makers of the game couldn't reconcile the entire first chapter of the remake taking place in Midgar with how iconic Sephiroth is for FF7 and crammed him in everywhere they could to compensate. In the original game Midgar only lasts a few hours before you make your way out into the world map and everything opens up. They still had most of disk 1 and disks 2 and 3 to build up Sephiroth as the antagonist so you don't see him too much early on and it's more impactful as more about him is revealed. In the remake he's showing up all the time, either in person or by giving Cloud mako hallucinations so Cloud is acting weird while everyone else doesn't know what's going on. They even made Sephiroth the final boss which seems like it's going to make it less interesting if they close out future chapters by making you fight him again. There's even a form of Bahamut as a boss right before the Sephiroth fight because it's a Final Fantasy and you have to shove a Bahamut in there somewhere.

I just don't understand how they're going to pace things going forward. Midgar in the original was about seven hours of gameplay, the total runtime is probably something like 70-90 hours depending on how many side quests you do. For it to match up to the original they're either going to have to seriously rush through most of the story or stretch the remake out to 10 games with this same level of production quality.

I think FF7: Remake is a masterstroke in terms of using the medium to spotlight and deconstruct what might be the most beloved RPG of all time. But I think the thing that trips up most people, and myself, is that it's not a remake, but like a meta-sequel. I know a lot of people hate that it's called "Remake" but I was at the very right age to play FF7 when it came out and this remake feels targeted specifically toward me and my experiences with the original, and remake is appropriate because of its theme and sort of snarky pulling-the-rug-from-under-itself gimmick. Going forward the game has broken from the main storyline enough that it doesn't really matter what they do; there will definitely be themes from FF7 replaying in fun ways, but it's not the same story anymore.

My only real complaint about FF7: Remake is the Zack bit at the end. Yeah, yeah, everyone boohoos about Aerith but I guess I didn't care that she died. When Zack died in Crisis Core I loving wept. I hate that they're bringing him back to life. I know it's not really breaking the canon since the remake is its own weird thing, but I can't help but feel offended by it.

Then again, it's not like Final Fantasy doesn't have a loving long history of lol-jking their protagonists being dead. The end of Final Fantasy 9, for instance, where Zidane dies attempting to rescue the villain was loving amazing. Until the weird reveal at the end where haha Zidane isn't dead (no explanation), he's just been pretending to be dead all this time so he could surprise his girlfriend??? gently caress you, FF9.

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Feb 1, 2022

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

There came a point in that game where I was pretty finished with it and just wanted to clear out my quests. I know I guess one can make the argument that any open world game quests kind of just falls into like three categories... I think the trick is to dress it up so it doesn't feel like it's the same three quests (Witcher 3 did this probably the best, I think). Greedfall has an overwhelming amount of sidequests where you just go to a location and talk to a person. The last 15 sidequests I did, I finished in about ten minutes, skipping whatever dialogue there was. Fast-travel here, talk to this person. Fast-travel here, talk to this person. Fast-travel back, talk to the first person again. Quest complete. Repeat 14 times.,

This is a big thing in all of Spiders' games. The Technomancer didn't really have fast travel, characters could be 6 minutes away from each other, and send you to be their proxy for a full conversation.

I can excuse the lack of voice clips because their games are made with a budget of whatever they find in the studio couch, but backtracking is a big problem with their game design.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Thanks for all the analysis. I don't know why the obvious rule of "there should be no relative movement between the stars and rings" didn't occur to me; I had the sun, stars, and moon all on a consistent axis of rotation (though a bit of a weird one in hindsight) but I didn't think to match it when I added the rings so I just dropped them in there wherever. I'm thinking the rings are equatorial, so that defines the axis; it wasn't too hard to adjust the math to make everything else match.

https://i.imgur.com/QAzyh23.mp4

As far as getting the star map texture looking just right, I think that's the kind of thing I'll wait for someone with actual artistic talent to tackle. I'm just grabbing assets and banging them together without really making much of my own at this point. I'm okay with the stars being excessively bright for now because this isn't a game where you're looking AT the sky much, and if the sky doesn't really jump out at you then you might not even notice it when your view is usually going to look something like this (with stuff on the ground grabbing your attention)

https://i.imgur.com/erLK4A4.mp4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

As time goes by my opinion of Norse God of War lowers and I hold the original three in higher esteem.
So far it's taken me only 2-3 hours for that to happen.

I do like the setting and the environment and the fight against the Stranger with the landscape being torn apart was at least a good modern analogue to kicking things off with fighting the Colossus of Rhodes but apart from my gameplay concerns I'm also not so sure I want to see the head designer work through his AM I A BAD DAD feelings for the length of a AAA game.

credburn posted:

I think FF7: Remake is a masterstroke in terms of using the medium to spotlight and deconstruct what might be the most beloved RPG of all time.
I'm not saying that's invalid, but I am saying a lot of people probably wanted the budget and effort to go into a straight remake.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

My only real problem with FF7 Remake is President Shinra's monologue about how evil he is in the office scene. Given that there's already several scenes before hand about Shinra being completely reprehensible, AND one boss fight later Rufus shows up to give his villain speech, it felt like one monologue too many that threw off a series of already pretty cluttered plot events. Like, I get it, even with that scene there's absolutely gonna be a segment of the audience who don't understand why the ultra capitalist tyrant who gleefully consumes literal souls to fuel his limo isn't a great dude, but still. Maybe cut his speech there down a little, at least.

Also a couple of the dungeons go on a little too long, but I end up feeling that way about at least one dungeon in every RPG so whatever.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

My Lovely Horse posted:

So far it's taken me only 2-3 hours for that to happen.

I do like the setting and the environment and the fight against the Stranger with the landscape being torn apart was at least a good modern analogue to kicking things off with fighting the Colossus of Rhodes but apart from my gameplay concerns I'm also not so sure I want to see the head designer work through his AM I A BAD DAD feelings for the length of a AAA game.

I'm not saying that's invalid, but I am saying a lot of people probably wanted the budget and effort to go into a straight remake.

I can't play dad'o'war either. I would get over the plodding and grunting story but the game feels really bad and constrained.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

FF7 Remake:

Like the entire point of Remake was establishing that they're doing a different story in the same setting.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Crowetron posted:

Also a couple of the dungeons go on a little too long, but I end up feeling that way about at least one dungeon in every RPG so whatever.

I was ready for the Train Graveyard to be over like, a third of the way in, and yet it just kept...on...going...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

This wouldn't have actually been feasible. 'FF7 remake but played straight' would've still had to be episodic, because the way Square made major games in the nineties just doesn't scale to the way their major games are now. They can't just keep Biggs, Wedge and Jessie as having three lines each. ...But, if you just sold it as a straight remake while still being episodic, it wouldn't have taken long for people to just ask 'well then what's the point'; the shine would fall off pretty quickly, since people would quickly get the idea and can then go play Real FFVII over the umptrillion years it'd take for them to finish the entire remake.

But the way they did it? Sure, I can jokingly say 'now go play the real game since you just finished the tutorial', but that's a joke that we all know to be on-its-face ridiculous in its current form. If it were a straight episodic remake, I'd be right. Because all bets are now off as to how close it'll stick to the original game, it means that there's no chance of the original game cannibalizing the remake's sales. Incidentally, it also means that they don't have to remake and expand on the entire game anymore, it's possible for them to write past some elements, so maybe the whole project will be completed sometime before we discover real-life Mako energy.

I disagree with several individual choices they made (gently caress them pulling punches about AVALANCHE's terrorist acts by making sabotage the real killer), and I think what FFVII really needed was a remaster either in the original style or using the original code, just like every single other single-digit Final Fantasy now has without exception. But if they had to do a big-budget remake, they picked the right direction to walk in.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:16 on Feb 1, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cleretic posted:

This wouldn't have actually been feasible. 'FF7 remake but played straight' would've still had to be episodic, because the way Square made major games in the nineties just doesn't scale to the way their major games are now. They can't just keep Biggs, Wedge and Jessie as having three lines each. ...But, if you just sold it as a straight remake while still being episodic, it wouldn't have taken long for people to just ask 'well then what's the point'; the shine would fall off pretty quickly, since people would quickly get the idea and can then go play Real FFVII over the umptrillion years it'd take for them to finish the entire remake.

But the way they did it? Sure, I can jokingly say 'now go play the real game since you just finished the tutorial', but that's a joke that we all know to be on-its-face ridiculous in its current form. If it were a straight episodic remake, I'd be right. Because all bets are now off as to how close it'll stick to the original game, it means that there's no chance of the original game cannibalizing the remake's sales. Incidentally, it also means that they don't have to remake and expand on the entire game anymore, it's possible for them to write past some elements, so maybe the whole project will be completed sometime before we discover real-life Mako energy.

I disagree with several individual choices they made (gently caress them pulling punches about AVALANCHE's terrorist acts by making sabotage the real killer), and I think what FFVII really needed was a remaster either in the original style or using the original code, just like every single other single-digit Final Fantasy now has without exception. But if they had to do a big-budget remake, they picked the right direction to walk in.

I mean even in the original Jessie makes a comment about how the explosion was bigger than it should have been.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Stars and rings

Super cool post

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean I never liked the idea of expanding on FF7 with increasingly hokey sequels and side stories and retcons and secret character motivations to begin with. In fact the whole idea of media commenting on its own public reception can go gently caress itself as far as I'm concerned.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Unrelated to Final Fantasy or stars, I tried playing Styx: Shards of Darkness yesterday and dropped it after only ten minutes. They went for making a fantasy comedy game, their main inspiration is Family Guy, and your guy berates you "humorously" every time you die. gently caress that.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 11:17 on Feb 1, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

In fact the whole idea of media commenting on its own public reception can go gently caress itself as far as I'm concerned.

This peaked in games with MGS2 and everything afterwards lives in its shadow.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The only time I ever felt the need to use it is in the ultimate secret boss fight with the Valkyrie Queen where you have to quickly look away from a specific attack or you'll get blinded. Besides that, if you see an indicator for an attack coming from behind it's usually better to reposition yourself so you can have all the enemies in front of you and actually see what's happening.

Hah! You can just look away from that? I always just had Atreus nail her with a lightning arrow when she starts that animation which interrupts her and stuns her for a second.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cleretic posted:

On a similar note, I really dislike Avalanche apparently being this larger and better-prepared organization with Barret's group being a bunch of scrubs the main group doesn't like.

Like, that adds nothing to the game or the lore or the story, you know?

Vandar has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Feb 1, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I really disliked a lot of FF7R because I don't want backstory for side characters. I don't care about Jessie's acting career or her father's tragic accident, but the game tries extremely hard to make me by making me play a new chapter it added which drags, has no fun combat and so much dialogue. People praise the remake for adding all those interactions between party members and also with characters who are not in the party and it is really just white noise to me.

Like, it's fine if you love some added depth to those characters or whatever but playing the original I never felt like they lacked any? You can easily infer anything the remake adds in plain text by reading between the lines. And ironically, it even undermines its own questionable success by maybe making you care more about the bit players by making them survive so death that might hit you harder don't in the end. Overall, it shies away from a lot of the grimness of the original and chickens out on showing consequences, making it an overall super shallow experience.

Also it's boring and padded as hell and why even have a dodge if blocking is better 99% of the time, and and and.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vandar posted:

On a similar note, I really dislike Avalanche apparently being this larger and better-prepared organization with Barret's group being a bunch of scrubs the main group doesn't like.

Like, that adds nothing to the game or the lore or the story, you know?

the main AVALANCHE organization is a paper tiger on Rufus’ payroll whose purpose is actually to drum up anti-Wutai sentiment and help Rufus oust his father. leadership ejected Barrett’s group because he believed the environmentalist angle hard enough to start going after their paymasters’ interests

it’s substantially better than the original characterization of the group, not to mention way more pertinent to how environmentalist orgs are captured by industry today - just look at Extinction Rebellion

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Feb 1, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Doom Eternal forcing you to sign up for a Bethesda account to play single player. What a terrible first impression.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My friend and I wanted to a A Way Out but it it was only cheap on Origin for a while and Origin is just an incredibly bizarrely bad storefront that seems to so consistently just not work both mine and my buddy's computer. It just won't work, sometimes for no reason, sometimes because of an update that the next one fixes. Who knows. We gave up trying to loving fight Origin a long time ago. So A Way Out is cheap on Steam and we buy it.

The loving game still requires you to sign up and play through Origin. I LAUNCH the game from Steam, and it opens Origin, and even INSIDE ORIGIN'S STOREFRONT it has a big fat Steam icon so what the gently caress is the loving point, ORIGIN?

For what it's worth, Origin is working for both of us, but I have no faith it will continue working all the way until we finish this 12 hour game.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When games use weird, made up measurements (like yards, feet.) to describe reach/effect of powers, distance needed to trigger etc etc. And there's no indication in the game in any way how far those effectively are.
To make it worse the game, characters, and items won't be exactly realistically sized either, and your estimates will be wildly off, because poo poo will be scaled to accommodate monsters, or 3rd person cameras, etc.

ex: 'Your ranged weapons do up to 20% more damage to enemies within 20 feet.' or '+50% damage to enemies 50 feet or farther away.'

Honestly, if anything like this pops up in a game that isn't something like a grid-based strategy game, at the very least give me indicators for it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Oxxidation posted:

the main AVALANCHE organization is a paper tiger on Rufus’ payroll whose purpose is actually to drum up anti-Wutai sentiment and help Rufus oust his father. leadership ejected Barrett’s group because he believed the environmentalist angle hard enough to start going after their paymasters’ interests

it’s substantially better than the original characterization of the group, not to mention way more pertinent to how environmentalist orgs are captured by industry today - just look at Extinction Rebellion

No way, man. It was way better when Avalanche was a small group founded by a black guy. That's cool representation. Making it a bigger organization with Barret's cell being a poorly funded radical offshoot that basically has to beg for resources from the main group sucks.

Crowetron posted:

My only real problem with FF7 Remake is President Shinra's monologue about how evil he is in the office scene. Given that there's already several scenes before hand about Shinra being completely reprehensible, AND one boss fight later Rufus shows up to give his villain speech, it felt like one monologue too many that threw off a series of already pretty cluttered plot events. Like, I get it, even with that scene there's absolutely gonna be a segment of the audience who don't understand why the ultra capitalist tyrant who gleefully consumes literal souls to fuel his limo isn't a great dude, but still. Maybe cut his speech there down a little, at least.

Agreed. The original was nice and concise because you didn't have to talk to President Shinra at all. He'd been characterized enough by that point and then you found his corpse. Rufus coming along to immediately to talk about how his dad was a worthless loser because he solved his problems with money when he should've solved them with fear did such a great job of letting you know exactly who he is and what you can expect from Shinra for the rest of the game. The remake gets lost by having everyone ramble on for hours. I don't even remember remake's Rufus because his intro this time was so forgettable

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

No way, man. It was way better when Avalanche was a small group founded by a black guy. That's cool representation.

this is pretty tasteless as jokes go

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
AC:Odyssey is just not structured to handle compulsive side-quest completionists. I'm tootling around wiping out camps and caves as I find them (because I'm probably never coming back to this island) and keep getting "QUEST COMPLETED" notices for quests I never even realised existed before I shanked this one random captain.

My favourite has been during the quest hunting for Barnabas wife. I wiped out a bunch of bandits so a big Sloth-looking guy can have a nice beach, but then he wanted a friend to fish with so Kassandra goes "Oh, I might know somebody you can be friends with" and this total stranger just pops out of the woodwork smiling like I'm supposed to know who he is?? I guess he was a captive in that other bandit camp I wiped out, but they're not telling me any of that.

When you have nearly finished the main storyline you get a fetch quest for four artifacts hidden behind mini-bosses, and it's delivered like it's supposed to be some big trial of your skills, but because I've explored the entire map by this point Kassandra just pulled all four out of her back pocket and handed them straight over in a massive anti-climax. Surely they could have seen that one coming? Weird pacing all round.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

this is pretty tasteless as jokes go

It is making me want a Barret skin for a Just Cause game now though, not gonna lie.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

darkwasthenight posted:

When you have nearly finished the main storyline you get a fetch quest for four artifacts hidden behind mini-bosses, and it's delivered like it's supposed to be some big trial of your skills, but because I've explored the entire map by this point Kassandra just pulled all four out of her back pocket and handed them straight over in a massive anti-climax. Surely they could have seen that one coming? Weird pacing all round.

One of my favourite things in games is when I inadvertently cleara quest early. Extra points if there's a special cutscene where the questgiver is flabbergasted.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Somewhat related, in Greedfall whenever I get to a new area I just explore as much as I can cause I enjoy that. So I'd find this cavern, work my way thru a bunch of caves and find...an empty altar. Or some other obvious quest destination that's not active cause I haven't progressed far enough. If there was lootable chests or collectables to make the trip worthwhile I wouldn't mind as much but usually theres nada. Just lock the door or something if I'm not supposed to go in there yet

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Necrothatcher posted:

One of my favourite things in games is when I inadvertently cleara quest early. Extra points if there's a special cutscene where the questgiver is flabbergasted.

Odyssey even has that for the Minotaur quest I think

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Fallout: New Vegas: I'd like to nominate Searchlight Airport as the most disappointing location in the game. It's way out on the edge of the map, so you have to do quite a bit of hiking to get there, and it's next to Camp Searchlight, which is one of the more dangerous places in the Mojave; it's all fenced off and you get there through a cool debris tunnel; there's a control tower, a few buildings, some fuel tanks and wrecked planes. Some level designer took time putting this together, and it seems like it should have something important. But there are no enemies barring a few scorpions scattered across an empty plain, you can't enter any of the buildings, and in fact the only things you can interact with at all are... two suitcases with about ~1000 bottlecaps between them. :geno: That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

darkwasthenight posted:

AC:Odyssey is just not structured to handle compulsive side-quest completionists. I'm tootling around wiping out camps and caves as I find them (because I'm probably never coming back to this island) and keep getting "QUEST COMPLETED" notices for quests I never even realised existed before I shanked this one random captain.

There are a bunch of story hiccups that struggle with the idea that you might do things in a different order, but this thing in particular is usually caused by you inadvertently completing one of the generic, infinite proc-gen quests that happens to line up with whatever open world content you're currently stabbing your way through.

christmas boots posted:

Odyssey even has that for the Minotaur quest I think

Technically I think it has it twice over, because there's two very different Minotaurs to deal with in whatever order you want.