Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

My stats are finally high enough (after a bunch of 24h rebirths to stack up beard bonuses + doing a few more challenges) to idle in the Badly Drawn World -- not forever, but for a few hundred kills.

Of course, this doesn't help as much one might think, because my 6,152% drop chance bonus works out to...a 1.1% drop chance from bosses and 0.37% chance from everything else.

Does anyone know if "item drops in offline progress" are in the roadmap? Because if not I'm probably going to have to just abandon the game.

The game is finished and isn't getting more updates. BDW is well known to have terrible drop rates for people when you get there, but that just means you need to find ways to increase your drop rate. That's the big switch though, and it levels out from there to manageable. Usually it's because your NGU drop rate isn't as high as expected, so check there and the Neckbeard to see what could use some pushing. Luck fruit probably also needs some levels, and don't forget perks. Lots of content to chip away at that isn't equipment to make the drops go faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ToxicFrog posted:

My stats are finally high enough (after a bunch of 24h rebirths to stack up beard bonuses + doing a few more challenges) to idle in the Badly Drawn World -- not forever, but for a few hundred kills.

Of course, this doesn't help as much one might think, because my 6,152% drop chance bonus works out to...a 1.1% drop chance from bosses and 0.37% chance from everything else.

Does anyone know if "item drops in offline progress" are in the roadmap? Because if not I'm probably going to have to just abandon the game.

NGU is feature complete, there is no more roadmap.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, I've been pushing Neckbeard, my only macguffin so far is drop rate from the Beardverse, got the drop rate digger going, etc. You're right that luck fruit definitely needs upgrading.

I'm just still frustrated that running the game live is busted but offline progress doesn't include drops, when you have to leave it running for a really long time for low-drop-rate stuff. Hell, I'm still trying to max out Ugg's Special Ring -- I've gotten a grand total of four of them so far. But in practice I get, like, 2-3 hours a day, tops, of actually being able to get drops from the game.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, I've been pushing Neckbeard, my only macguffin so far is drop rate from the Beardverse, got the drop rate digger going, etc. You're right that luck fruit definitely needs upgrading.

I'm just still frustrated that running the game live is busted but offline progress doesn't include drops, when you have to leave it running for a really long time for low-drop-rate stuff. Hell, I'm still trying to max out Ugg's Special Ring -- I've gotten a grand total of four of them so far. But in practice I get, like, 2-3 hours a day, tops, of actually being able to get drops from the game.

I haven’t encountered issues running the game myself. Neither on Kong, on Kartridge, or on Steam. I’d check the discord for help with that part, I can’t think of anywhere else to find someone who may have an idea. Running the game is something that isn’t going to go away, you’ll want it for titan drops in the future and some of those do take some time to level. You can leave them with the daycare kitty of course, but that’s also not fast.

BDW is about where the formula for drop rate changes though, so it does get better from there as it levels back out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jhet posted:

I haven’t encountered issues running the game myself. Neither on Kong, on Kartridge, or on Steam. I’d check the discord for help with that part, I can’t think of anywhere else to find someone who may have an idea. Running the game is something that isn’t going to go away, you’ll want it for titan drops in the future and some of those do take some time to level. You can leave them with the daycare kitty of course, but that’s also not fast.

BDW is about where the formula for drop rate changes though, so it does get better from there as it levels back out.

Yeah, I've posted about it in here before -- it runs fine as long as I'm using the computer (although it maxes out two entire CPU cores for some reason) but once I stop using the computer (probably as soon as the screenlocker/screensaver activates) it starts running in slow motion, so I'll get back 8 hours later and find the game thinks it's only been running for 2 hours. So, e.g., leaving it running overnight to collect drops is useless.

Maybe I should ask about that in the discord.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, I've posted about it in here before -- it runs fine as long as I'm using the computer (although it maxes out two entire CPU cores for some reason) but once I stop using the computer (probably as soon as the screenlocker/screensaver activates) it starts running in slow motion, so I'll get back 8 hours later and find the game thinks it's only been running for 2 hours. So, e.g., leaving it running overnight to collect drops is useless.

Maybe I should ask about that in the discord.

That's most definitely the OS power settings doing that to all your apps and not the game itself. You can Google how to fix that for your OS or people in the Discord can definitely help you.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Evolve Idle:

Doing Truepath finally after way too much time idling pillars away and those modifiers sure are something. Feels a lot like Cataclysm with much more content.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Evolve Idle:

Doing Truepath finally after way too much time idling pillars away and those modifiers sure are something. Feels a lot like Cataclysm with much more content.

I just finished a gold star technophobe run, so I’ll have to check them out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Chakan posted:

I just finished a gold star technophobe run, so I’ll have to check them out.

It slows you down massively. Half mastery, weaker plasmids, large costs increases, lower taxes, etc. Even getting to MAD territory takes a fair chunk of time with fully decked out custom race.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Currently grinding out the Banana Split feat.

gently caress all these railways and freight yards take forever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Rynoto posted:

Max out your citizens and make sure your entire military is alive for max plasmid gain. You should be able to squeeze out more than 80 then. There's a prestige calculator on the wiki's reset page.

Yeah you can probably eke out a few more but I wouldn't stress too hard, even 80 will make your second run a lot faster than 0 will. You'll also see a new portion of the research tree in the next run that begins with a (mutually exclusive) choice between researching Anthropology and Fanaticism. While the Anthropology bonus doesn't seem as sexy, it's better in the short-term if you're doing MAD runs and I'd recommend choosing that path for now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I lost my evolve backup and I'm loathe to start from scratch since that's such a looooong road.

I can probably save edit but that's not the same.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
This genre is about personal satisfaction, save editing to where you were is totally cool.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

This genre is about personal satisfaction, save editing to where you were is totally cool.

Not if it somehow hampers your personal satisfaction :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Speaking of Evolve what's a good genus/planet for the Valdi challenge run? I started one after my last reset but realized I was on a hot planet and they have the Lazy trait inherent and I was going to spend most of the game with an additional -10% production modifier on top of the other negatives, so I restored a save and decided to put that off until my next Bioseed. I'm thinking Fungi for genus so I don't have to worry as much about food, that seemed to be the main bottleneck early on. Not sure if it's worth setting up Fanaticism with Ent to remove lumber costs as well or if I should just go Anthropology since I only have to make it to MAD.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I lost my evolve backup and I'm loathe to start from scratch since that's such a looooong road.

I can probably save edit but that's not the same.

Increase the game speed by x100 or whatever until you're back where you were? Best I can think of without save editing.

goferchan posted:

Speaking of Evolve what's a good genus/planet for the Valdi challenge run?

Eh. Honestly just do whatever. It's only a bit longer than a normal MAD in the end unlike Sludge. Small is generally the best genus but as you're only going MAD maybe Polar on a Tundra planet. Bonuses from cold to counter all the maluses and very rare heat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ErIog posted:

That's most definitely the OS power settings doing that to all your apps and not the game itself. You can Google how to fix that for your OS or people in the Discord can definitely help you.

The game should be using the uptime clock or the RTC rather than cycle counting to do its timing (and shouldn't be maxing out 2 cores for a mostly static display updating at 50fps) and absolutely should not be reacting to low-power mode by running at 1/4 speed. The fact that this is an issue at all points to a bug in the way the game does its timekeeping, and there's no shortage of other idle games (e.g. Trimps) that handle this correctly.

Like, when the screen is locked everything is probably getting fewer wakeups/second than it asked for but NGUI is the only one that just gives up when that happens rather than doing more work per wakeup, or figuring out what it missed and catching up once the system unthrottles.

I probably will ask about workarounds on the Discord at some point but this 100% is something that can and should be fixed in the game itself and not need each player to implement a workaround for it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Klungar posted:

NGU is feature complete, there is no more roadmap.

But where are the Laser sword challenge completion bonuses? :colbert:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ToxicFrog posted:

The game should be using the uptime clock or the RTC rather than cycle counting to do its timing (and shouldn't be maxing out 2 cores for a mostly static display updating at 50fps) and absolutely should not be reacting to low-power mode by running at 1/4 speed. The fact that this is an issue at all points to a bug in the way the game does its timekeeping, and there's no shortage of other idle games (e.g. Trimps) that handle this correctly.

Like, when the screen is locked everything is probably getting fewer wakeups/second than it asked for but NGUI is the only one that just gives up when that happens rather than doing more work per wakeup, or figuring out what it missed and catching up once the system unthrottles.

I probably will ask about workarounds on the Discord at some point but this 100% is something that can and should be fixed in the game itself and not need each player to implement a workaround for it.

Trimps runs in java script, NGU is running in Unity. there were also design choices made very early to prevent cheating. You aren't getting around sleep mode, and Somethingggg isn't going to recode the entire game to fix it if he didn't over the years already. Off line drops not existing were a constant thing the entire time I played and I played from early beta until near completion (it just kinda felt in a rut and systems were already breaking down being near the max value of variables causing weird things in hacks and wishes).

Unfortunately the way the game was designed and everything bolted on I'm 99% sure you're asking the impossible in this case.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 1, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Deki posted:

In the update that's coming in 5 hours...

My NGUIdle is running at an average of 2.7% of my CPU and 80MB of memory. It's been running for a couple weeks. My word processor takes more resources when I'm using it. My computer is about 5 years old at this point too, so I don't know what to tell you. It's really low on resource use.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Deki posted:

It's already there. The number goes up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deki posted:

I don't know about you, but my laser sword challenge completions make my augments kick more rear end. :shrug:

Jhet posted:

My NGUIdle is running at an average of 2.7% of my CPU and 80MB of memory. It's been running for a couple weeks. My word processor takes more resources when I'm using it. My computer is about 5 years old at this point too, so I don't know what to tell you. It's really low on resource use.

Huh. Something fucky with Proton, perhaps? Because mine looks like this:

pre:
  PID USER       PRI  NI  VIRT   RES   PSS   SHR S CPU%▽MEM% IOD%   TIME+  Command
 9721 rebecca     20   0 11.1G  557M  504M  127M S 236.  2.4  N/A 31:18.62 NGU IDLE\NGUIdle.exe
That does actually help because it implies that I might be able to improve this by messing with my Proton settings. Or, god forbid, running it in a VM, but it's been years since I set up windows in a VM and I'd rather not do it again. Thank you!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

NGU doesn’t have official support for Linux, so yes, you may have to jump through the VM hoop to get it functioning correctly. Google searching “NGU Linux” brings up a couple Reddit threads and whatnot where people have come to this conclusion/solution after trying to make it work natively in Proton.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm also missing all those vital NGU bestiary lore entries.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Klungar posted:

NGU doesn’t have official support for Linux, so yes, you may have to jump through the VM hoop to get it functioning correctly. Google searching “NGU Linux” brings up a couple Reddit threads and whatnot where people have come to this conclusion/solution after trying to make it work natively in Proton.

I've been running NGU under Proton since it was first released on steam. The only trouble I ever had was figuring out that the steam overlay has to be turned on to enable in-app purchases.

I don't have any great ideas about NGU specifically, since it's been so troublefree for me, but one thing I have learned in general is that it never hurts to force use of Proton Experimental.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't know about you, but my laser sword challenge completions make my augments kick more rear end. :shrug:

The sadistic ones lack some rewards

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i've been running NGU on my samsung fridge and frankly the interface lag makes it nearly unplayable. hope the next version fixes this

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Evolve:

Truepath tripreport. Can definitely tell it still needs some polish but the ship creation and syndicate system is much more interesting than normal piracy from ascended. The mastery reduction and cost increases don't end up being much of a problem if you're heavily endgame as theocracy blows up your plasmid & ziggurat bonus back up to about where you would expect. The biggest roadblock is definitely storage though and the push to relying more heavily on crates and containers.

Few random things if you're going to attempt it: Don't fight the big rival, there's no point yet. Have a good (3k+, imo) pool of phage for storage and softcap. Most importantly make sure you have every cost creep reduction possible with your custom to deal with scaling ship costs.

Pretty fun all around though and different enough to feel fresh compared to ascended/hell.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ToxicFrog posted:

Looking at it right now and it says there's special rewards for evil Laser challenge that will be added later.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They can't be added now because then they couldn't be added later.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jhet posted:

Look at GPU usage. It's especially noticeable on Intel iGPU. (essentially Unity being Unity)

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
posting to say i'm not dead, just been going through a lot of stuff irl, trying to dredge myself out of this pit of blahs and slowly working on ngu 2 stuff in a meandering way

thats all bye

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

something posted:

posting to say i'm not dead, just been going through a lot of stuff irl, trying to dredge myself out of this pit of blahs and slowly working on ngu 2 stuff in a meandering way

thats all bye

That looks pretty cool

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

something posted:

thats all bye

Love the art, if this was the only image and a download button next to it I slam that download button and my only nagging question would be do the arrows mean it is sluggish DOS game navigation the entire way or is it a fancy menu? So as long as they aren't a drag on the game I don't think they are a problem.

I think of idle games as something I can easily drop into and make changes very quickly but also something with deep mechanics that I might want to think about for a few hours on what my goal and how to min/max the situation. I don't want to spend that time navigating a menu that is presented as a maze of rooms. As long as it isn't a maze of rooms you should have staying power for a long term game. If it can be boiled down to a fancy menu then making a menu alternative or a teleporter rooms should prevent it from staying a hindrance. Have to see how it plays.

I'm reading into a single screenshot a lot but I assume you posted to get some feedback. You made NGU, which is a game that widened the idle game audience and I don't think it was a fluke. This looks promising and I want it to be a success.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

As always, I'm open to suggestions on the art stuff.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

something posted:

thats all bye

Be well and know that I will throw money at this the day it's available.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Musluk posted:

As always, I'm open to suggestions on the art stuff.

I suggest you keep making this glorious art.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
NGU isn't available in browser is it? All this chat makes me want to play it but I cant do Steam at work...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You could do what I did for years and leave it running at home, then RDP in to poke NGU occasionally. The chrome remote desktop app always worked really well for me since I can use it on my phone or in a browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

something posted:

thats all bye

Hope you don't feel too blah. NGU industries was neat, and I can tell you worked really hard on it.

I sometimes have a hard time playing your games because they make me want to stop playing and try to make my own.