Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AlternateAccount posted:

I don’t know why, but BL has always felt shoddy and compromised to me. But yeah, key in the TPM and no where else(and you didn’t print/save a recovery key somewhere, especially to your MS account which is what I think it encourages now) means smoking the TPM should do it.

Bitlocker has some compromises for flexibility and doing the MS compatibility > else thing. It does TPM key storage, USB security keys, and software passwords. It does full encryption of OS drive or individual volumes. And it tries to do all that without being too complex, while also being secure in whichever configuration.

I can see how it might feel shoddy to a Mac person, because it is by no means Apple-slick. But it's secure.

"I need to smoke my decryption key ASAP" is not really a design goal that I think a normal security product should have, because it's also a great way for users to lose all their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am finding win11 android apps compatibility was a tad oversold. The current state of the amazon app store (:aloom:) or sideloading other apps without the google play store is.... poo poo.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I am finding win11 android apps compatibility was a tad oversold. The current state of the amazon app store (:aloom:) or sideloading other apps without the google play store is.... poo poo.

I don't even think it's in the main release yet, is it? Thought it was still insiders-only.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
with no Playstore, options are limited to old school stuff

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

I don't even think it's in the main release yet, is it? Thought it was still insiders-only.

Yes, and it doesn’t seem to matter. This is so far away from functional. If the Amazon App Store being what drives this thing might be a huge mistake.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
The biggest problem that I can see is that MS is yet again forgetting that the world is not just the USA. Not sure how many markets Amazon sells their android devices in but it’s definitely a lot fewer than say Huawei who have their own App Store as well. So the vast majority of Windows users are going to be stuck not having access to apps they have on their phone because MS partnered with Amazon.

I really hope they have their own App Store in the works and the Amazon partnership is just to gain momentum for the feature. Google would never lift a finger to help MS so a direct integration with the Play Store won’t happen. I wouldn’t be surprised if future Android versions introduce some subtle incompatibility that makes apps work nicely on phones but not on WSA.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

beuges posted:

The biggest problem that I can see is that MS is yet again forgetting that the world is not just the USA. Not sure how many markets Amazon sells their android devices in but it’s definitely a lot fewer than say Huawei who have their own App Store as well. So the vast majority of Windows users are going to be stuck not having access to apps they have on their phone because MS partnered with Amazon.

I really hope they have their own App Store in the works and the Amazon partnership is just to gain momentum for the feature. Google would never lift a finger to help MS so a direct integration with the Play Store won’t happen. I wouldn’t be surprised if future Android versions introduce some subtle incompatibility that makes apps work nicely on phones but not on WSA.

Google is doing their own thing with bringing Android games to Windows, and it wouldn't surprise me if they made their own way to run other Android apps on Windows without involving Microsoft.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/19/22891046/google-play-games-android-games-windows-pc-beta-launch

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Google is doing their own thing with bringing Android games to Windows, and it wouldn't surprise me if they made their own way to run other Android apps on Windows without involving Microsoft.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/19/22891046/google-play-games-android-games-windows-pc-beta-launch

If its just another bluestacks like app, I don't want it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

beuges posted:

I was curious about this, and a quick google got me an article from 2013 saying Amazon sell their tablets in 170 countries, with a follow-up a year later adding 40 more. Now there are 195 recognized countries, also according to google, so the math gets a little weird, but ignoring that part, they sell their tablets globally, and their app store is just as global.

Their app store might not be as known as Google's, which I'd chalk up to the fact that Amazon doesn't have a phone, and the Play Store is on every android phone in existence, but it is hardly an oversight as you imply by Microsoft.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Koskun posted:

Now there are 195 recognized countries, also according to google, so the math gets a little weird,

Hey I'll have you know they're number one in Burkina Faso and the disputed zone.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Windows XP is still the #1 operating system in Armenia with over 50% of the market share if you believe dubious usage statistics frequently shared online. I'm rooting for them.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Here's my fun Win11 story.

I'm on a Lenovo Yoga C940 from 2020.

My Audio and Camera drivers drop out of service and disappear after my laptop goes to sleep more than half the time.

Restarting is the only way for speakers and camera to work again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Koskun posted:

I was curious about this, and a quick google got me an article from 2013 saying Amazon sell their tablets in 170 countries, with a follow-up a year later adding 40 more. Now there are 195 recognized countries, also according to google, so the math gets a little weird, but ignoring that part, they sell their tablets globally, and their app store is just as global.

Their app store might not be as known as Google's, which I'd chalk up to the fact that Amazon doesn't have a phone, and the Play Store is on every android phone in existence, but it is hardly an oversight as you imply by Microsoft.

Are you forgetting the Fire phone!??

I've never had an Amazon device (other than Kindle) but I can use the app store on my Samsung phone just fine. Why would the store be limited to where they physically sell the tablets anyway.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Krime posted:

My Audio and Camera drivers drop out of service and disappear after my laptop goes to sleep more than half the time.

BIOS updated?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Krime posted:

Have seen something similar on a different Lenovo machine.

Grab Lenovo Vantage from the Windows store and make it update everything possible. Open Windows update and check for updates twice.

Restart computer and repeate process until both show no updates available.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Grab Lenovo Vantage from the Windows store and make it update everything possible. Open Windows update and check for updates twice.

Thanks. Already went the Vantage route and everything there is up to date.

Downloading 2022-01 Cumulative Update from Windows Update now.

Hope this does the trick

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are there any firmware updates offered on the Lenovo support website that aren't being pushed to you in their own updater app?

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Krime posted:

Having a similar issue with a 4500U Yoga 6 I bought around 6 months ago. Upgraded the SSD recently from a 256GB WD model to an Intel 2TB one. Installed Win 11 Pro and had an issue where the laptop will not cleanly resume from sleep, can work if sleep period is short but anything more than a few minutes and resumes to a black screen (sometimes with cursor) then restarts after a few minutes. Installed Win 10 Pro and similar behaviour.

Have ran windows updates several times to ensure all updates have been installed. Ran lenovo tools to automatically install updates. Installed AMD display drivers and manually installed Lenovo updates.

Event log doesn't seem to have much relevant information. Seeing some 10016 (DistributedCOM), 6062 (lso was triggered) and 219 (The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_27C6&PID_55B4\6&14f0da9&0&3 - Fingerprint reader) warnings and 41 (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first), 6068 (The previous system shutdown at ... was unexpected) and occasionally 161 (Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.) errors.

sfc and dism not reporting anything unusual. Google hasn't been helpful, most results suggest disabling sleep. Have tried playing around with power settings such as disabling fast resume but not noticeable difference.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to diagnose and resolve this issue?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
See if you can disable the fingerprint reader in the BIOS.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Is there a way to turn off a specific notification? This one in particular:

Why yes, my privacy settings DID block access to my location. Just like I wanted, so shut the gently caress up.

I checked the setting and basically it just points me to a place where I can . . . turn off my privacy settings so everyone can see my location.

I can turn off ALL notifications for privacy, but that seems a bit sketchy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Might be like demonstrated here, that the labels next to the sliders in the focus assist settings are actually buttons that being you further options. Poorly discoverable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there a way to turn off a specific notification? This one in particular:

Why yes, my privacy settings DID block access to my location. Just like I wanted, so shut the gently caress up.

I checked the setting and basically it just points me to a place where I can . . . turn off my privacy settings so everyone can see my location.

I can turn off ALL notifications for privacy, but that seems a bit sketchy.

Instead of turning off "allow apps to access your location" in privacy settings, try changing location service to off? (Privacy -> Location -> Change button)

I never see notifications for that, which I'd theorize is because I have location off entirely.

Alternately if that's wrong and you already have it set like that, I'd look in Discord's settings to see if you can stop asking for a location. From a quick google, it may want to know your location to connect to the nearest voice server. Possibly if you manually set which voice server you connect to it'll stop doing that?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Klyith posted:

Instead of turning off "allow apps to access your location" in privacy settings, try changing location service to off? (Privacy -> Location -> Change button)

I never see notifications for that, which I'd theorize is because I have location off entirely.

Alternately if that's wrong and you already have it set like that, I'd look in Discord's settings to see if you can stop asking for a location. From a quick google, it may want to know your location to connect to the nearest voice server. Possibly if you manually set which voice server you connect to it'll stop doing that?

Location is already turned off completely.

Also it's not discord. That was just the next notification below telling me a friend DM'd me, and I clipped that part off.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Coming back to say thank you. Problem appears to be resolved!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Had a weird issue this AM. I booted up my PC and the desktop was drawing white boxes all over. It fixed itself on restart.

Not sure if anyone else has had this but I figured I'd post about it.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

redeyes posted:

See if you can disable the fingerprint reader in the BIOS.

BIOS is very bare bones. Have everything set to hibernate rather than sleep which seems to work. If I have any further issues will physically disconnect the reader.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Good plan.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Krime posted:

Coming back to say thank you. Problem appears to be resolved!

And I'll come back again again and say no it's not

drat

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Every time I boot my desktop now I get a full screen window telling me to switch to Edge and all that BS after a big update, except now it's demanding I create a Microsoft account.

I can go back a few screens and choose "skip" but it says I can only do it for 3 days.

How do I get this stupid window to stop showing up? I googled it and nothing came up. I don't want an MS account. It's Windows 11 Pro if that matters.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Every time I boot my desktop now I get a full screen window telling me to switch to Edge and all that BS after a big update, except now it's demanding I create a Microsoft account.

I can go back a few screens and choose "skip" but it says I can only do it for 3 days.

How do I get this stupid window to stop showing up? I googled it and nothing came up. I don't want an MS account. It's Windows 11 Pro if that matters.

Cant you hit 'Cancel' on that screen? I'd setup a local admin account just in case the poo poo hits the fan. I have win 11 pro as well and am not getting any of that bullshit. Actually its possible it did show up and hit the cancel button and didnt notice it... I load too many computers daily.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 10, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Start -> gpedit

Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options

Accounts: Block Microsoft accounts

Set to either "users can't add" or "users can't add or log on with" MS accounts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
would doing this break my login to Windows store or anything like that? because i get the annoying screen every once in a while too

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

site posted:

would doing this break my login to Windows store or anything like that? because i get the annoying screen every once in a while too

No. Only from logging in to the OS with a MS account. I've used an Office subscription (which requires MS sign in) with that turned on.

Note that it doesn't completely block these nag screens, especially the ones that also try to get you to use Edge. What happens is you say 'no thanks' to Edge, press next, get a spinny circle for 1/2 second, and then vanishes. And doesn't come back until the next time that MS includes a nag screen in an update.

So it's just a faster way to get it to gently caress off, without having to hunt for the correct button.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sounds good, thanks

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah thanks a ton!

redeyes posted:

Cant you hit 'Cancel' on that screen? I'd setup a local admin account just in case the poo poo hits the fan. I have win 11 pro as well and am not getting any of that bullshit. Actually its possible it did show up and hit the cancel button and didnt notice it... I load too many computers daily.

This was right after rebooting after a Win11 update. Cancel wasn't an option; just "skip for 3 days" or something like that. And you could only cancel from the first screen; they don't even give you the option to cancel once you get to the part where they demand you log in with a Microsoft Account. You have to go back to the main screen, then click cancel. And then it warns you that the full-screen pop-up is going to show up again in 3 days.

I made the mistake of breaking down and creating a Microsoft account when I set up my MAME cabinet. Then a few months later I bought a new laptop and logged in with my Microsoft account and my entire loving desktop was 640x480 with MAME poo poo everywhere and the FBI "Don't do drugs" arcade warning as the wallpaper on my brand new laptop; it took like 2 hours to get it back to normal and I vowed I'd never use a Microsoft account ever again for the rest of my natural life.

edit: apparently you can get around needing a Microsoft Account by simply typing “user” in both the Microsoft account email and password box you can’t skip and it’ll bypass it. No clue if this works or not but just posting it here for someone else in this situation.

Also, choosing "connect to a work or school account" then "domain join instead" will let you create a local user account according to some other sites, but I don't remember seeing that option there in the newest Win11 update.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 11, 2022

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
KB5010414 came out today.

quote:

Highlights
New! Provides the ability to shares cookies between Microsoft Edge Internet Explorer mode and Microsoft Edge.

New! Adds the clock and date to the taskbars of other monitors when you connect other monitors to your device.

New! Adds weather content to the left side of the taskbar if the taskbar is aligned in the center. When you hover over the weather, the Widgets panel will appear on the left side of the screen and will disappear when you stop hovering over the area.

Updates an issue that affects dialog boxes in Microsoft Edge Internet Explorer mode.

Updates an issue that causes Microsoft Edge Internet Explorer mode to stop working when you press the F1 key.

Updates an issue that displays right-to-left (RTL) language text as left justified on File Explorer command menus and File Explorer context menus.

Updates an issue that might cause the time zone list in Settings to appear blank for users who are not administrators.

Updates an issue that displays right-to-left (RTL) language text as left justified on File Explorer command menus and context menus.

Updates an issue that causes incorrect tooltips to appear in an empty area on the taskbar after you hover over other icons like battery, volume, or Wi-Fi.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can I orient the taskbar vertically yet? This is may be a dumb reason, but I’ve been thinking about upgrading to 11 so the Xbox controller screenshot button actually works. You can remap it for steam games, but that won’t work for gamepass games.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are there any reports of Edge hanging for 2-3 minutes while playing video on Windows 11? The audio continues to play but the browser becomes totally unresponsive before recovering by itself. There are no issues in Chrome.

I Googled but can only find a bunch of spam websites in the results or those generic driver cleanup sites, possible that I’m using the wrong search terms though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have they let you set small taskbar icons yet? Or is it still a huge touchscreen taskbar that you can't resize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well that was easy. Clean install on a 2009 C2Q Dell Optiplex.