Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I really enjoyed this little turn based soccer game that's just $2: Ganbare Super Strikers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

err posted:

Tried Unpacking thinking it was going to be a relaxing game, but you need to put things in certain areas. So after you unpack everything you get a bunch of glowing items you placed and need to move to the correct area. Teddy bear on the floor? No it needs to be on the desk. Some items you can't determine what it is and you have multiple rooms they could go in.

Totally killed my vibe and I just uninstalled.

This is how the game tells its minimalistic story btw, I personally loved that detail. You can tell how the main character grows as a person or how she deals with certain events according where things must be placed, in contrast with previous levels.

That said, having no idea what a certain item is supposed to be sucks, yeah.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The consolidation wars are heating up.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/...s1_c10&ref_url=

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

better use 5-letter words critical of the rich while you can

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Does this mean you're gonna need a nyt sub to play wordle or do we think they'll just do regular ads?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
accd to mr wordle's twitter it will be free to play

https://twitter.com/powerlanguish/status/1488263944309731329

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The NYT said it'll be free initially.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

turdle

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My friend just introduced me to Wordle like 4 days ago :(

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I wouldn't worry about it somebody will knock it off within days if they haven't already. The actual protectable part here seems paper thin.

I'm surprised they paid him at all I guess they want the userbase and to avoid the shitstorm from last time.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 31, 2022

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Foul Fowl posted:

not too bad, it's very easy to get into and the game very gently introduces its concepts (though some things like speed pips and whatever might be a bit confusing in the beginning but i'm pretty sure the game is good about listing all of these things).

the DLCs are 10000% worth getting.

The game and all the DLCs are on sale for <$40. I've never played a Battletech game, and the turn-based strategy aspect intrigues me.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Hub Cat posted:

I'm surprised they paid him at all I guess they want the userbase and to avoid the shitstorm from last time.
For the NYT, $1 and $5 million for a game that came out two months ago, built for one person, and became a worldwide, daily obsession was a good deal.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I assumed "low 7 figure" is like, $1-3M.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Battle tech is very good vanilla, excellent with the DLC, and exceptional with any of the three Mod kits - BexCE, BTA, and Roguetech, which add varying degrees of complexity in that order.

If you want to have an expanded roster of stompybots, plus some QOL and flavor updates, do BexCE.

Want additional ability to fiddle with your mechs, drop extra lances, and be able to deploy your own support lances of tanks? BTA.

Want the kitchen sink, plus all the groggy poo poo in tabletop? Roguetech has you covered.

Battle tech plus DLC I’ve paid $40 for, with nearly 400 hours played. I’ve worked full time jobs for less than that.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Have there been any good "Choice of Games" type games in the past few years? I played a few a while back.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zathril posted:

Have there been any good "Choice of Games" type games in the past few years? I played a few a while back.

I enjoyed Fool! about being a medieval court entertainer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1080250/Fool/

Came out in 2019.

Oh and Fox Spirit about being a kitsune!

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 1, 2022

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I enjoyed Fool! about being a medieval court entertainer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1080250/Fool/

Came out in 2019.

Oh and Fox Spirit about being a kitsune!

These both seem interesting, thanks!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Armauk posted:

For the NYT, $1 and $5 million for a game that came out two months ago, built for one person, and became a worldwide, daily obsession was a good deal.

Yeah that's fair, small single-digit millions aren't breaking the bank for the brand.
I guess I never really considered people might be subscribing to the NYT for the games

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 1, 2022

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

One tine I didn't realize that I was logged into my father in law's NY times account and completed his favorite word puzzle. Just one time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Armauk posted:

From a buyer’s perspective, it’s pretty decent considering that the game is juuust similar enough to some older games that it’s a potential liability if somebody comes along with a copyright lawsuit.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Fruits of the sea posted:

From a buyer’s perspective, it’s pretty decent considering that the game is juuust similar enough to some older games that it’s a potential liability if somebody comes along with a copyright lawsuit.
Also from the sellers perspective, since NYT is endlessly better equipped to defend against the circling vultures.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

It's already received some endorsements here, but here is another for Not For Broadcast. I'm glad it avoided the pitfalls I feared it might fall into.

The most important element is that the comedy is good, it's a tough thing to get right, especially in FMV. Many games fail at simply being funny. NFB also does quite well at the few times when it wants to get serious, managing that hard transition from comedy to tragedy. The developers also give you all the options you could ever want. You can selectively turn off or lower the difficulty any discrete game elements and they have a video suite for watching all the material after you've played through it. Which is great because you are often distracted or catch the behind-the-scenes parts that you're not supposed to be broadcasting at your leisure.

And the game design can be quite good at times. Spoilers, but I found very effective one sequence where you can here the sounds of warfare off in the distance from your studio and during the broadcast sounds get gradually closer until the fighting is right outside your window. It gets hard to focus on the broadcast with gunshots and explosions from right outside.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Doesn't sound like my type of game at all but I've heard such unrelenting praise for Not For Broadcast from these forums and other places that I'm gonna pick it up tonight; everyone's made me really curious.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Help I keep buying every euro truck sim/american truck sim dlc when they're on sale despite the fact that I can't smoke weed rn and therefore won't play them anytime soon

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zathril posted:

Vampire TM: Night Road is fantastic

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'm playing Not for Broadcast as well and goddamn this game goes places I wasn't expecting. Should someone maybe make a thread for it?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
How steep is Kenshi's learning curve? Is there much game there? Like story or lore or things to do? I like games similar to RimWorld where you create your own story, but I feel like I might bounce off it due to difficulty or too many systems.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

err posted:

How steep is Kenshi's learning curve? Is there much game there? Like story or lore or things to do? I like games similar to RimWorld where you create your own story, but I feel like I might bounce off it due to difficulty or too many systems.

very steep. there is an insane amount of game, the world is huge and full of different settlements and factions, theres story and lore but no formal quests, no npc has plot armor, you can sack entire settlements and permanently change them based on the world state. you can setup your own base w rimworld style automation and become a major settlement complete with map marker and traders visiting. it is the most literal version of a sandbox rpg possible. it also takes a lot of time to do any of that stuf fbecause you start off so weak that your method to get stronger is to get beaten up and hope you dont lose a limb or get enslaved and lots of things are weird and inscrutable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

err posted:

How steep is Kenshi's learning curve?

Like running into a brick wall but it also has an overhang somehow.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kenshi has lore in the same way Dark Souls has lore. It's there, but you're expected to work most of it out yourself and much is left without a definite answer.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Talorat posted:

I'm playing Not for Broadcast as well and goddamn this game goes places I wasn't expecting. Should someone maybe make a thread for it?
Sure, I was bored and couldn't sleep so I did it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What's happened to Hitman 3 that they're offering free upgrades now?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Judging by the negative steam reviews, it's mostly that the dlc / bundle situation is just a confusing clusterfuck.
There are a ton of different bundles on the steam page and no clear answer for "what do I buy to just get everything".
Plus people complaining that the price is too high.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The buying Hitman mission is like free DLC.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Waste of Breath posted:

Help I keep buying every euro truck sim/american truck sim dlc when they're on sale despite the fact that I can't smoke weed rn and therefore won't play them anytime soon

I've finally managed to break myself of the weird need to do this. I so rarely actually play the games but I used to keep buying the bits anyway. Those two and theHunter got me like that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

got back into starcom nexus and goddam it's such a great chill tool round and explore the galaxy and meet alien buddies game. def worth picking up if star control and starflight were your jam.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Gamesplanet has delivered my Dying Light 2 key, no pre-load yet.

I think I'm close to finishing The Following DLC of the first game. I don't like the car gimmick very much, hopefully the sequel will not do much of that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Superanos posted:

Gamesplanet has delivered my Dying Light 2 key, no pre-load yet.

I think I'm close to finishing The Following DLC of the first game. I don't like the car gimmick very much, hopefully the sequel will not do much of that.
I've also been running through the game with a friend ATM and hah, co-op makes Volatiles pretty easy until you get the chunkier ones rolling out.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

sebmojo posted:

got back into starcom nexus and goddam it's such a great chill tool round and explore the galaxy and meet alien buddies game. def worth picking up if star control and starflight were your jam.

I've played and finished it awhile ago but it was such a nice surprise of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

err posted:

Phone posting, so this may be a little disjointed.

I absolutely love Kenshi, but will be the first to tell you that it's not for everybody.

Kenshi has no story, but it's filled with lore. This is a game where you make your own story. You choose one from a dozen starting scenarios and the game throws you in.

The game can be brutal, but it can be brutal to everyone. Your character is just like every npc in the game. If you're running through the desert and you encounter a Skimmer (giant bug creature), unless you've smiled up enough, you will get killed. However, if you're being charged by slavers ( because you look like a slave -- malnourished, wearing ragged clothes) you can run towards a Skimmer and it may start fighting the slavers, allowing you to run away. Also, the Skimmer will probably kill the slavers, so you can lot them afterwards if you're careful.

As for mechanics, the game tracks damage for each limb, and you are picky knocked unconscious is your head or torso drops below 0. You only die if head or torso drops to -100. You can lose limbs. But you can get skeleton limbs. (Robots in this world are called skeletons).

There is a clan system, and you can create multiple parties. You can free form build bases and set up tasks to people in your clan. So you have 3 people mining some iron nearby, one person moving the iron to a storage chest, where others take it to turn into iron plates to be used by your weaponsmith or armorer. They will all go and get food automatically (if available, and within a reasonable range).

In short, it's a true sandbox game with a bunch of mechanics that allow you tell the story you want. I accidentally love it and can't wait for the sequel, but it's not a game for everybody. If you're interested, grab it on a sale and give it a shot. Or watch some let's paid of it. Given the nature of the game, there are some channels that do a "lore" playthrough, in which they play the game and batata like they're telling a story.