Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Lady Faustus just bought me a meet-and-greet ticket for Steve Vai's make-up show in Charlotte next October. I've never seen him live, much less met him at a show.

As fun as he is to make fun of, a friend of mine invited me to a Steve Vai show a couple years back when he came through our town and I have to say, I had a great time. It was absolutely the stupidest music poo poo ever, but it still managed to be an interesting and fun show. I can't really listen to more than a couple minutes or so of Vai's records, but live it's a different story. Dude is super entertaining and sounds great. He knows he's a total dork but he has fun with it. I think you'll have a good time.

Also he still dresses up in that goofy rear end 70's B-movie "future alien" costume with a bunch of laser pointers glued to it, which alone is worth the drive:

Believe it or not, the funniest thing about that costume isn't pictured there. When he puts that thing on somewhere in the middle of the set, you can immediately tell it's annoying for him to actually wear, but he does it anyway because he genuinely thinks it's really cool and badass looking on the stage. But of course the first thing you notice is Vai waddling back to his main spot with that thing on, with him clearly being unable to move well or see much of anything, so the illusion of the presentation, along with your internal cheese-o-meter, pretty much shatters immediately. It's great.

Basically, get ready for Stupid Music poo poo: The Thread: The Show.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bump!

Lady Faustus just bought me a meet-and-greet ticket for Steve Vai's make-up show in Charlotte next October. I've never seen him live, much less met him at a show.

So if I have to take just one guitar to autograph I am super torn:
Take the orignal 1988 Floral Print JEM, give Vai a white paint pen: I've been a fan of his guitars since day one. Should I get this one signed or...
Take the new white JEM7V: Perfect for signing with a black sharpie, guitar is brand new. It's already worth some cash, could use a signature on it. But I don't play it often. It is a case queen.

She dropped $300 on this for me though I don't much care to see him play. I would have preferred to have seen him with DLR.

I do very much want to meet him though, and get a JEM signed. That part has me pretty jazzed.

The stupidest music poo poo: SRV cover tunes! It's a long story but I did one for my Dad for Christmas, then he requested more and I obliged.) https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/empty-arms-srv-cover

Sounds good, and he honestly seem like a nice dork to meet.

To me, the choice is super easy, it's definitely the old 1988 that you actually play and love. Who the gently caress cares how much the thing is worth, the point is that it's a nice memento of meeting your hero and also your wife being accepting of your bad taste. It goes on the guitar that you will actually pick up.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

BonHair posted:

To me, the choice is super easy, it's definitely the old 1988 that you actually play and love.

I'll chime in and say that if you get him to sign a guitar you play every day, get him to sign the back of it. If you want him to sign a show piece guitar for the wall, then sure, have him sign the front.

Once he signs the front of a guitar, that guitar is no longer its own instrument, instead it becomes "the guitar Steve Vai signed." That signature will be the first and last thing you'll notice every single time you pick it up and put it down from then on. But if he signs the other side, then it's still "your" guitar, and you get to choose when to look back on that memory.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 28, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I never really considered letting someone sign the front of my guitar. I have a couple case queens that are players now because of the Fractal, but I don't think I could let that happen to the white JEM, either; because you never know if I might start putting notes on her regularly.

Of course the 77FP was the obvious choice personally because it's my "it" guitar, and it already has given me thirty-two years of love, it was my first good guitar. No one has signed it so I'll ask him to give it a signature like the LNG 777s have.

I cannot listen to his CDs anymore. I do like watching some of his G3/concert footage. But seeing him live is something different. I really do respect the guy. To me he's Jack Butler. The guy who replaced Yngwie in a band, who elevated DLR and Whitesnake, and of course was adopted by Frank Zappa. I can't wait to meet him and tell him thank you.

I wish there would be time to tell him about this thread.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Case Queen would be a good name for a noir character.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I never really considered letting someone sign the front of my guitar. I have a couple case queens that are players now because of the Fractal, but I don't think I could let that happen to the white JEM, either; because you never know if I might start putting notes on her regularly.

Of course the 77FP was the obvious choice personally because it's my "it" guitar, and it already has given me thirty-two years of love, it was my first good guitar. No one has signed it so I'll ask him to give it a signature like the LNG 777s have.

I cannot listen to his CDs anymore. I do like watching some of his G3/concert footage. But seeing him live is something different. I really do respect the guy. To me he's Jack Butler. The guy who replaced Yngwie in a band, who elevated DLR and Whitesnake, and of course was adopted by Frank Zappa. I can't wait to meet him and tell him thank you.

I wish there would be time to tell him about this thread.

Just give him a card with the url and the username and password for the account literally anyone in the thread would be more than happy to buy for him.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
It can't be a coincidence that Vai's Hyrda record dropped today. It's a sign.

Faustus, you must buy a Hydra and get Steve Vai to sign that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

It can't be a coincidence that Vai's Hyrda record dropped today. It's a sign.

Faustus, you must buy a Hydra and get Steve Vai to sign that.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kingo Ligma posted:

Just give him a card with the url and the username and password for the account literally anyone in the thread would be more than happy to buy for him.

That would be fantastic.

Been a huge fan since Passion and Warfare. He just seems like such a genuinely nice dude and brilliant musician. Came across this vid a while ago, can't find the exact version of it I watched but it ended with Steve grabbing the mic and saying "Well, that was the best Steve Vai I've ever heard": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRAaU_0XcFk

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I love Vai. Alien Love Secrets is his only record I can really listen to and enjoy, but man he's just such a dork for guitar and it rules. The new record is really cool so far, but I don't know that I'll be listening to it a ton.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I have an irrational appreciation for the song Yankee Rose and Steve Vai is for sure part of that.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I dont understand how those guitars don't just go out of tune.

Every loving floyd rose guitar I have had never stayed in tune for poo poo. Always messing with those stupid little fine tuners.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Malaria posted:

Every loving floyd rose guitar I have had never stayed in tune for poo poo. Always messing with those stupid little fine tuners.

My RG655 stays in tune for loving ever no matter what.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Malaria posted:

You have to set them up perfectly (bridge completely perpendicular to the posts) and the knife edges have to be in good shape. You also have to string and stretch them properly. You give me an Ibanez Edge and 15 minutes and I'll show you a guitar that basically will not go out of tune, even if you shake the whammy bar like an angry dog. Original floyds you can get very close to this level of performance, but the Ibanez edge are still the best double locking systems by a fairly substantial margin.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Man this new Vai record is mad silly.

This song is on the record and it's just fuckin WEIRD. He does all these goofy Jerry Donohue bends and stuff and its just Vai bein Vai at its best. He got some weird idea to use this oddball technique and wrote a whole rear end song about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fO954zQ3Us

Actually, same with knappsack. Dude gets surgery on his picking arm, gently caress it write a one handed song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMjmjXHJoPg

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Found this Gibson SG-X on ShopGoodwill.com. At first I'm thinking gently caress YEAH, then I zoomed in and started laughing so hard I think I hurt myself

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/137883898

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

widefault posted:

Found this Gibson SG-X on ShopGoodwill.com. At first I'm thinking gently caress YEAH, then I zoomed in and started laughing so hard I think I hurt myself

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/137883898

Huh, would you try to re-contact it yourself or would you take it to a guitar tech?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Clayton Bigsby posted:

My RG655 stays in tune for loving ever no matter what.

My RG550 stays in tune for loving ever no matter what because I blocked the shitass bridge.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hydra reveal. This is good stuff imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W2uxVE8vtQ

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bump!

So if I have to take just one guitar to autograph I am super torn:
Take the orignal 1988 Floral Print JEM, give Vai a white paint pen: I've been a fan of his guitars since day one. Should I get this one signed or...
Take the new white JEM7V: Perfect for signing with a black sharpie, guitar is brand new. It's already worth some cash, could use a signature on it. But I don't play it often. It is a case queen.

She dropped $300 on this for me though I don't much care to see him play. I would have preferred to have seen him with DLR.

I do very much want to meet him though, and get a JEM signed. That part has me pretty jazzed.

The stupidest music poo poo: SRV cover tunes! It's a long story but I did one for my Dad for Christmas, then he requested more and I obliged.) https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/empty-arms-srv-cover

Hell yeah dude, post a pick of the signature.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Have him sign it in the control cavity so it doesn’t look silly on the front if you play live, or wear off really fast on the back. It’ll be our little secret.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

Have him sign it in the control cavity so it doesn’t look silly on the front if you play live, or wear off really fast on the back. It’ll be our little secret.
poo poo. I can just ask him to sign the matte black control cavity cover with a black permanent marker like Paul Gilbert did to me years ago.

For such a nice guy today, he could be a little bitch about signing a guitar that you are driving eight hours round trip to bring to him back in the day. "Yeah, here's a signature. Good luck seeing it."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Hey Faustus, I’m not sure how expensive it would be or who would do it, but there’s always the option of having somebody put some clearcoat on top of the signature so it never wears off.

Also, thread confession time: I listened to the new Steve Vai album the whole way through yesterday. It’s actually pretty good. As in, I could listen to it the whole way through without being annoyed at all (except for that one song he wrote and played one-handed after his surgery, that one was annoying). But the rest of the tracks were cool. I couldn’t hum a single phrase from the album with a gun to my head right now, and there are no real emotional highs or lows, the whole thing is fairly even sounding. It's a cool kind of textural / ambient thing to have on in the background.

I can’t wait to tell the next guy I stand next to at a urinal all about it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 29, 2022

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Huh, would you try to re-contact it yourself or would you take it to a guitar tech?

Maybe ask my grandma if there's anything in Martha Stewart Living that explains the best way to apply it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
You could take a JEM pickguard for him to sign: easier to haul to a show and easy to swap out if you decide you don't like somebody's signature all over your guitar.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Get a transparent pickguard and have people sign the body underneath it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Get him to sign your body then have it tattooed with a realistic monkey grip hole next to it

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Snowy posted:

Get him to sign your body then have it tattooed with a realistic monkey grip hole next to it

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

:hmmyes:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

In all honesty you should sign his guitar instead, you're a bona fide posting celebrity on a figuratively dead internet forum built to honour a literally dead trash man.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So I got that going for me.

Couple edits:

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Case Queen would be a good name for a noir character.
I am sorry I missed this and must now show love. Case Queen: A Hard-Boiled Detective Ladies' Night Mystery.

Also, I had somewhere posted Vai playing "Little Pretty" on an Ibanez Artcore and mentioned it was a little silly for a track that sounds like it has vibrato bar in it (possibly on that exact guitar part). Turns out he played a big box Gretsch with a huge Bigsby on it because he wanted those big round notes for those chords. I suppose the Ibanez rep said, "Well Stevie, can't have you in a video playing a competitor. Here, play this Artcore." I'm listening to Inviolate now and this is the first time since Fire Garden that I've bothered with a new Vai project. I agree with GG, I'm hearing a lot of oblique, angular stuff but not much hummable hooks. It's still a tour-de-force from a guy who a) does not rest on his laurels like some musicians from his class and b) is aggressively curious about expanding approaches to composition and how to adapt it to guitar (or vice-versa).

If all goes well and we are all still here together in October I'll post the pic with Vai, feel free to put the Toxx Clause on that one, I am good for it. Bonus if there's something EXTRA embarrassing about the pic.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 30, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

widefault posted:

Maybe ask my grandma if there's anything in Martha Stewart Living that explains the best way to apply it.

More seriously, maybe take it back to a natural finish.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/con...cts-tab-s496128

sure ok fine

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Why did I listen to the whole thing?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://twitter.com/Frozensoultx/status/1488677429933756417

https://twitter.com/its_adamneely/status/1488664486617751552

Apparently, some crypto nerds have gotten into stupid music poo poo territory by taking Spotify's database and turning everyone's album art into NFT's, that the artists have zero control of and selling them.

The future sucks.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 2, 2022

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/roryfelton

Lmao the dude is using his real name publicly and has Disney and major label poo poo up there. He is gonna wake up with two suicide bullets in the back of his head and a Frozen party plate in his hands.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

And you can't exactly DMCA a blockchain right?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Pondex posted:

And you can't exactly DMCA a blockchain right?

Turns out you can, the site was taken down today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Kingo Ligma posted:

Turns out you can, the site was taken down today.

lmao, because of a takedown-notice? Or just good old public shaming?