Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Want to order a pair of electric bikes for my wife and I

Would you consider a heavy as hell cargo bike, the Blix Packa Genie? We've cut back on a lot of carpool school runs with ours but this guy is using his for beach runs and seems to be doing okay with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Have a Radrunner, it is definitely easy to get up 17-20mph range, but I don’t enjoy it. I don’t feel safe going that fast (at least on the lovely roads) - perhaps if I had the RR+ with the suspension fork it would be better.

Electra Townie bikes have “Flat Foot Geometry” to make it easy to put your foot down at a stop.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Have a Radrunner, it is definitely easy to get up 17-20mph range, but I don’t enjoy it. I don’t feel safe going that fast (at least on the lovely roads) - perhaps if I had the RR+ with the suspension fork it would be better.

Electra Townie bikes have “Flat Foot Geometry” to make it easy to put your foot down at a stop.

yeah I did a test drive on the radrunners too and really didn't like the radrunner. The seat was a nightmare and the bike felt too clunky and heavy to be fun. The radcity was the only one that felt nimble and easy to control to me. Everything else seemed to be more designed for supporting instacart/postmates delivery drivers.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Which one was the one where Domino's ordered like 2000 units

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

El Mero Mero posted:

yeah I did a test drive on the radrunners too and really didn't like the radrunner. The seat was a nightmare and the bike felt too clunky and heavy to be fun. The radcity was the only one that felt nimble and easy to control to me. Everything else seemed to be more designed for supporting instacart/postmates delivery drivers.

The Rover is fun if you're big. I got some non-knobbly fat bike tires and use it around the city.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

2800 for a bike with a no-name motor is kinda meh?
It's also a great bike otherwise though. Everything has trade-offs. I love the Gates Carbon drive belt, Enviolo hub, Class 3 option, and battery size. There's no perfect bike that also is cheap.

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 1, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a hub geared step through dutch e-bike I bought reconditioned that says otherwise

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I have a hub geared step through dutch e-bike I bought reconditioned that says otherwise
I am happy you found a bike that you love. I also have a bike that I love, but I would not recommend it as a perfect bike for a stranger.

Unfortunately a lot of budget e-bikes become a pile of headaches for their owners.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
in all fairness it was cheap because it was reconditioned, new it would have cost double.

One thing I would recommend is the hub gears, this is a rock solid 3 gear Shimano hub with five levels of pedal assist and you basically use that instead of changing gears. I mostly carry lots of stuff so I'm going for stability over speed so I don't know how well that would work on a road bike for example.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Hadlock posted:

Want to order a pair of electric bikes for my wife and I

Would be neat if they were matching set: horizontal top tube (me) and step through (her) with a nice paint job, and/or classically styled (interpret this how you want) basically not the super ugly ones with black plastic ebike warts growing out from every which way

Budget $1000-3200 ea

Purpose: bike path 7 miles from house to beach, 95% bike path, plus kid either on back of bike or in a trailer

Nice to have: Bosch/Shimano gear

Requirements: my wife has to not hate biking to the beach, she's average athletic ability. I think this means she needs at least a three speed bike. It's pretty flat where we live, less than 60 foot elevation change across 7 miles if I did my math right. 20mph or whatever the standard limit is, is plenty

I think the van moof S3 looks like a pretty good option at $2400? And then there's this random Chinese thing for $800 which is a much easier to swallow price

https://kbobike.com/products/road-electric-bike?variant=37170888966306

But not seeing any mixte style bikes for my wife, maybe she can just get used to a top tube, but she has a history of crashing her bike on flat ground so I want something she can dismount without twisting her ankle

Seems like there's a huge price range difference, I think this is an area where you get what you pay for? I don't think we need anything too fancy but don't want a pile of poo poo that I'm gonna be wrenching on every month to keep running

Edit: mixte like this, but not $5000, yes I realize what price range/quality that lemond commands, just an example

https://lemond.com/dutch

Edit 2: I think I want a mid-drive unit, if it fits in our budget?

https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/models/gazelle-medeo
Has Bosch/Shimano and can select different frame styles as well.

Academician Nomad posted:

It's also a great bike otherwise though. Everything has trade-offs. I love the Gates Carbon drive belt, Enviolo hub, Class 3 option, and battery size. There's no perfect bike that also is cheap.

The motor is really the only question mark. Looking around it's a brand from China called Truckrun.

That being said, I had to pay a thousand dollars more for a bike with similar specs to that. I think that's the cheapest bike I know that has a Enviolo hub and a belt drive.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 2, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm really impressed that I can buy a road legal electric scooter (CSC Monterey, basically an electric Honda Super cub) with 20-30 miles range + 1500w motor for $2500 shipped, but if I buy a high quality e bike with 250w motor the price starts at $4000

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I know your whole thing is being dumb as poo poo but lmao at 'why is a lovely version of something cheaper than a nice version of something else'

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Hadlock posted:

I'm really impressed that I can buy a road legal electric scooter (CSC Monterey, basically an electric Honda Super cub) with 20-30 miles range + 1500w motor for $2500 shipped, but if I buy a high quality e bike with 250w motor the price starts at $4000

Why don't you just get the Van Moof? It fits all of your criteria. It's $2300, has a 250w motor, is heavily stylized, has a good speed and is also a bicycle.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think I opened with the van moof as an option? I can't remember pretty sure I mentioned it. Yeah it looks like a good bike, I'm surprised that they were the high end "apple" option five years ago, and I guess lemond is in the market now, and then you have your specialized/Cannondale, and then there's the black wart models. Nobody else is trying to compete in the "retrogrouch" market beyond van moof and lemond, just seems like innovation has totally stalled out since like 2016, other than that lemond I don't see any products that look any different since the last time I checked in

Tesla has a new lithium cell coming out that's 1.8 inches in diameter, should bin pack nicely in a 2 or 2.25" downtube, maybe that will open up options

Also looking for a mixte, I guess that specialized bike meets our needs, but doesn't really match the van moof

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Hadlock posted:

I think I opened with the van moof as an option? I can't remember pretty sure I mentioned it. Yeah it looks like a good bike, I'm surprised that they were the high end "apple" option five years ago, and I guess lemond is in the market now, and then you have your specialized/Cannondale, and then there's the black wart models. Nobody else is trying to compete in the "retrogrouch" market beyond van moof and lemond, just seems like innovation has totally stalled out since like 2016, other than that lemond I don't see any products that look any different since the last time I checked in

Tesla has a new lithium cell coming out that's 1.8 inches in diameter, should bin pack nicely in a 2 or 2.25" downtube, maybe that will open up options

Also looking for a mixte, I guess that specialized bike meets our needs, but doesn't really match the van moof

I'm not sure what you want. You want a Mixte e-bike where there are a ton of options (one is literally called Mixte) in both classic styling and modern styling. There are a number within your price range, even if it's the higher end of it.
https://vekkit.com/products/ebike-mixte
https://exploremixte.com/pages/sales-page-vibe
https://blixbike.com/products/aveny-electric-city-bike

There is also one that you deem perfect, but you don't want to pay for the premium product - which is fine, we may like Ferraris even if we can't afford them. However, there are a number of others that fit your criteria and you seem adamant in complaining that there isn't anything in the market for you. In all honesty, if you perceive a market hole that big that's not filled by the products above (or the Van Moof or LeMond), fill it. You know what you want in a e-bike, others probably want the same thing - so do the thing and start building the thing - it could be an incredible opportunity for you.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Figured I'd post an update on my radrover 6 plus. Put about 260 miles on it in the last 6 weeks and it's been very impressive. About 2/3 of that was with a 30lb baby on the back of the rear rack too.

Starting with the bad, I have only a couple of minor annoyances with it, but I bet I can fix them with more money easily. I need to get a seat that gives me an inch or so more adjustment backwards. I'm on the upper end of their recommended height for it and it's just a little cramped. My other complaint is that the pedals are not as grippy as I'd really like if my shoes are slippery with dirt or mud.

Onto the good things though, while slightly heavy with the pedal assist off it just powers through any kind of terrain. The fat tires and suspension are fantastic, I've gone through creekbeds, up dirt and mud trails through the woods where there was no trail, up and down curbs and sidewalks. Thing is amazing. It feels super responsive and easy to ride on rough terrain and actually feels better on the dirt than it does on the street.

Battery life so far has actually been at or above what they advertise. They claim 25 miles on max pedal assist or throttle only and about 45 miles on pedal assist 1-2.

I've gotten as far as 51 miles on a charge commuting to work and back only and seem to average around 35 miles per charge when hauling the baby and being liberal with the throttle and pedal assist most of the time.

The ride is super smooth even in gravel or rocks or mud. It never really feels like it's lacking power even going up root-covered trails or relatively steep inclines. I tend to sit it down in gear 2 with pedal assist 1 or 2 on the trails and that's plenty of power to climb anything but not go too fast and end up out of control.

I was not brave or stupid enough to take it out in the ice storm here in Texas last week.

Will report back when I get another few hundred miles on it and see if it holds up. Some of the complaints or warnings I read about radpower bikes is the components are either proprietary and hard to replace if they die or lower quality and therefore more likely to fail sooner than later so we will see how that goes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

2800 for a bike with a no-name motor is kinda meh?

It isn't quite no name. Truckfun? I think that's what it is I don't remember. I probably mentioned in in one of my previous posts but I'm too lazy to go back. It's no Bosch or Bafang though.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 9, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Since we are posting Radpower updates:
After 2,700 miles on a rad city:
-Its time to replace stock rear tire. I forget if it is a holy roller or a knockoff.
-Controller is showing error 30. I checked wiring harness with multimeter. I probably need to replace controller.
-rear wheel bearing is getting loose again. Hub has seam between spoke flanges, so I will have to unlace half the wheel to get to the bearings.

It's fine, but no bike shops want to work on them (for good reason), so you better hope you are handy after the warranty is expired.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Hub has seam between spoke flanges, so I will have to unlace half the wheel to get to the bearings.

what the what? not sure I am picturing this correctly, but this sounds ridiculous

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
And be vigilant about your break pads.

I am healing from a trimalleolar fracture (ankle broken in three places) from breaks going to poo poo while going downhill.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Man_of_Teflon posted:

what the what? not sure I am picturing this correctly, but this sounds ridiculous

The hub splits under that silver tape in the middle instead of the side plates coming off.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Jamais Vu Again posted:

And be vigilant about your break pads.

I am healing from a trimalleolar fracture (ankle broken in three places) from breaks going to poo poo while going downhill.
Oh yeah, look out for pad overhang. Many hub motor bikes have a problem with it. I think I ranted about that in this thread a while ago. You can shave down the overhang to get a little more life out of the pads.

E: here it is:

CopperHound posted:

I need to take a second to rant and/or give a warning about a thing to look out for:
EVERY HUB MOTOR BIKE I HAVE ENCOUNTERED HAS hosed UP ITS DISC BRAKE SETUP!

Now for the explanation of what's going on: Disc Mounting tabs have a very specific location relative to the midpoint of the wheel axle as shown here:

Unfortunately every frame with vertical dropouts seems to be built with 10mm axles in mind instead of the 14mm axles with flat side you often find on hub motors:

This moves the rotor 1-2mm away from the disc caliper, which results in brake pad overhang:

As the pads wear, the overhang will collide and inhibit braking even when there is a usable amount of pad remaining. The only solution to this design flaw I have been able to find is to use a 180mm adapter with a 185mm rotor. Depending on the angles you might need washers under the caliper to get the spacing just right.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 9, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CopperHound posted:

The hub splits under that silver tape in the middle instead of the side plates coming off.

drat, and it's mostly held together by facing spoke tension?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

drat, and it's mostly held together by facing spoke tension?
Naw, it has six or eight philips head bolts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CopperHound posted:

Since we are posting Radpower updates:
After 2,700 miles on a rad city:
-Its time to replace stock rear tire. I forget if it is a holy roller or a knockoff.
-Controller is showing error 30. I checked wiring harness with multimeter. I probably need to replace controller.
-rear wheel bearing is getting loose again. Hub has seam between spoke flanges, so I will have to unlace half the wheel to get to the bearings.

It's fine, but no bike shops want to work on them (for good reason), so you better hope you are handy after the warranty is expired.
I have two local bike shops... one of them assembled my Radrunner without any complaint and I intend to ask them about a check up/tune up for it once it gets warm enough for me to ride it down there comfortably. The other said they'd be glad to work on the mechanicals but I'd need to dismount the battery first.

How the hell do you get the battery pack off the drat thing? There's not like a clear handle or something.

e: I've probably put somewhere around 500 cumulative miles on it, no complaints at all, my usual work round-trip was about 9 miles and would perhaps just begin brushing from 5 bars to 4 bars when I got back home.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

How the hell do you get the battery pack off the drat thing? There's not like a clear handle or something.
Push key in and turn past off. Then slide towards top before lifting away.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Nessus posted:

I have two local bike shops... one of them assembled my Radrunner without any complaint and I intend to ask them about a check up/tune up for it once it gets warm enough for me to ride it down there comfortably. The other said they'd be glad to work on the mechanicals but I'd need to dismount the battery first.

e: I've probably put somewhere around 500 cumulative miles on it, no complaints at all, my usual work round-trip was about 9 miles and would perhaps just begin brushing from 5 bars to 4 bars when I got back home.

If it's the 5, you turn the key to unlocked and push up from the bottom of the battery.

Also my bike shop will work on my Rad. I doubt they'd do much with the electronics, but I've taken it in for a tune up and they didn't make any noise about it at all, just asked for the battery key.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I guess I should have specified 'refuse to work on any thing relating to the electric drive train because the manufacturer does not offer service bulletins or wholesale parts.'

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Ya, I've had shops refuse to touch my Radrunner at all. They've been burned by other ebikes in the past and they won't work on them unless they sell them in the store. Other shops seem fine taking care of the normal bike components though. I luckily haven't had to deal with any electronics problems yet.

Speaking of proprietary bits on rad, I ran into an issue recently like that. The chain tensioner is bolted to the bike using an M10 screw with a 1.0mm pitch. I stripped the hell out of that bolt, taking the rear wheel off for yet another flat. Turns out that's a pretty rare pitch for that size bolt. I wasn't able to find a replacement in aluminum or titanium. I ended up with zinc coated steel and I'm hoping the galvanic whatever doesn't destroy that component any time soon.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Academician Nomad posted:

I dunno, our friend paid about ~2400 eurocoins for a bike with 1x10 shimano gears, hydraulic brakes, an air fork and a midrange bosch motor, I thought that was money well spent.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Cargo E-Bike Report. In the last month of Blix Packa Genie ownership we've put on just shy of 200 miles mostly doing school runs, UPS store runs, and play dates. My wife has been exceptionally surprised with how much fun she has on it. She always harbored dreams of a golf cart but now realizes that the bike can go a lot more places and often just as quickly as a car. Playground runs mean she is often the center of attention with a pup riding up front, 3 kids on the back just breezing along with me struggling to keep up on my gravel bike. Guess that means it is time for (e)n+1, right?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've been evangelising (successfully on at least 3 occasions that I know of) cargo e-bikes pretty much ever since I electrified my antique bakfiets and realised just how immensely useful they are. Also fun, fast, easy to park etc etc. Easy to park right in the middle of the park, even, or right on the beach, or wherever. Any two wheeler is capable of moderate trail or even offroad riding too in a pinch. For parents of small kids it's wonderful in all sorts of ways and just a good time in general. We used to get loads of attention in the beginning but similar vehicles are becoming pretty common around these parts so it's not like it's novel anymore. The longest we've gone with the kids is about 20km one way, but anything under 5 has almost always been by cargobike unless the weather was awful. If you're contemplating getting one and fit the target demographic my advice is to go for it.

Jonny Quest posted:

Guess that means it is time for (e)n+1, right?

When we go on bike rides as a family the adult not riding a bakfiets normally also rides an e-bike. Usually we bring the granny bike - it's just a simple cheap step-through with a front hub motor but it keeps up well enough and it feels wrong to hoon around in assisted comfort when your significant other is sweating and puffing up the hills. Sadly the kids are getting big and won't suffer the box much longer but I'm just about to go pick up my eldest from a friend and it's gonna be the box tonight unless she wants to walk home :)

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Been searching for a while now with no joy. Are there any options for a car rack that can carry an ebike without getting a trailer hitch installed?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sphyre posted:

Been searching for a while now with no joy. Are there any options for a car rack that can carry an ebike without getting a trailer hitch installed?

Would be helpful to know what kind of vehicle we're talking about, but from what I can see most of those kind that go over your trunk / hatch have a limit of 35lbs?

edit: Or do you mean a roof rack?

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Invalido posted:

I've been evangelising (successfully on at least 3 occasions that I know of) cargo e-bikes pretty much ever since I electrified my antique bakfiets and realised just how immensely useful they are.

I went back and forth on buying a cargo bike to supplement my regular e-bike, but just settled on getting a cargo trailer. It adds a ton of options to what you can do with a bike, much like a box bike would I suspect.

Also it was only a couple hundred bucks vs a couple thousand.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Charles posted:

Would be helpful to know what kind of vehicle we're talking about, but from what I can see most of those kind that go over your trunk / hatch have a limit of 35lbs?

edit: Or do you mean a roof rack?

It's a hatchback. My bike is roughly ~25kg, the Thule OutWay Hanging 2 bike rack has a total limit of 30kg... but a per bike limit of 15kg :v:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Citizen Z posted:

I went back and forth on buying a cargo bike to supplement my regular e-bike, but just settled on getting a cargo trailer. It adds a ton of options to what you can do with a bike, much like a box bike would I suspect.

Also it was only a couple hundred bucks vs a couple thousand.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike trailers, used to have one and they bring utility for sure but IMO it's not nearly the same. The box bike used to be my main vehicle when the kids were younger and needed rides to and from places on the daily. I'd carry on commuting to work after dropping them off, doing shopping or other errands on the way home and pretty much anything else you can think of with 100kg of effortless cargo capacity always at the ready. It's seen improvised use as an ambulance once and as a taxi for adults in need many times. Countless kids have had joyrides in it just for the fun of it. I've moved pretty large pieces of furniture with it, and a washing machine. It's been a pit bike at the race track with great success. The always ready part it probably key to why I love that bike so much, as well as all the memories of both mundane stuff and weird situations. Although I don't use it daily anymore I can't imagine selling it even if I mainly use it as a grocery getter/parcel fetcher/garbage hauler/general local runabout these days. Also there's no way I'd ever get paid what it's worth to me since it's become a one-off freak of a (highly reliable) vehicle. The fenders and chain guard are the only parts both original and unmodified at this point.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sphyre posted:

It's a hatchback. My bike is roughly ~25kg, the Thule OutWay Hanging 2 bike rack has a total limit of 30kg... but a per bike limit of 15kg :v:

Oof yeah the most I can find is about 16kg per bike :/

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I'll be the contrarian and say that I love having a regular ebike with trailers. They are easy to attach and detach and let me haul all sorts of ridiculous things and still move the bike around easily when needed. And they are so much cheaper, which is nice when all my money went to the Grin ebike kit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Trailers are good and usefull. I use heavy duty bike trailers in my day to day work. That said, I personally would not put a living creature in a trailer while riding on the same roads I normally do. I would let humans that I love ride on a longtail or in a frontloader.