Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Mandrel posted:

haha holy poo poo, pretty sure during the Christmas morning scene one of the toys they got was a John Goodman Fred Flinstone doll from The Flinstones movie

Good catch! It's right of frame at 22m14s, totally missed it because it's impossible not to watch Goggins.

Have they discussed what they're using to de-age Goodman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It honestly feels like they deep faked his face with Roseanne clips it's basically perfect

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The Bakkers are interesting to base something off of because they went against a lot of the Fallwell led evangelical line of thinking, especially Tammy Faye. She's somewhat of a legend in the LGBT community. They were awful crooks but they didn't have that hateful streak that the majority of Evangelicalism is plagued with, which makes me think they were much more sincere in their beliefs than say, Joel Osteen.

Jimmy did with the rape, stealing, and is current day actions

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Oh yeah forgot the rape, Jim's a hunk of poo poo. Tammy's alright in my book still.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Osteen is big grifter but i had the impression that in terms of expressing hateful bigotry he is pretty milquetoast as far as evangelical mass-preachers go? Mostly just avoiding those topics and going hard on prosperity gospel and feel-good self-help poo poo. I mean, still a homophobe and whatnot.

Not well-read on this but when reading about him he seems surprisingly non-topical when it comes to politics. But yeah none of the sincerity of someone like Tammy Faye who seemed to have taken some of the more compassionate teachings of christianity to heart.

Holy poo poo i though Jim Bakker was dead for some reason but apparently still going, pivoting to covid scams.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 1, 2022

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I wonder why they buried the body instead of calling the police, since it was self defence... Unless Eli did end up taking the money.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Falukorv posted:

Holy poo poo i though Jim Bakker was dead for some reason but apparently still going, pivoting to covid scams.

He's been doing the prepper food buckets thing for years and the advertisements are fuckin hilarious.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Thought that too, a unnecessary headache and risk if not for the money. Oth they really should have gotten the cops involved when they encountered that dead journalist (before they thought one of their own did it anyway). Which holy crap that is a thread i momentarily forgot about.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 1, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They ended the episode with Eli riding the Exodus and Junior twirling a gun around. Maybe we'll get back to that story next week.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Falukorv posted:

Osteen is big grifter but i had the impression that in terms of expressing hateful bigotry he is pretty milquetoast as far as evangelical mass-preachers go?

I love the low bar set for evangelical preacher-grifters here hahaha. "Well, it's just pretty milquetoast hateful bigotry that doesn't rile anyone up too bad, not like those other preacher-grifters who really revel in it."

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

SpaceAceJase posted:

I wonder why they buried the body instead of calling the police, since it was self defence... Unless Eli did end up taking the money.

To pocket the money and avoid being in the press

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

To pocket the money and avoid being in the press

It's this for sure. This is the dark secret. They didn't get just $1M, they got all $3M.

drat this was an amazing episode. The kids they got...just amazing performances.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's this for sure. This is the dark secret. They didn't get just $1M, they got all $3M.

drat this was an amazing episode. The kids they got...just amazing performances.

Pretty funny since Baby Billy did almost the exact same thing last season

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pretty funny since Baby Billy did almost the exact same thing last season

I need to re-watch S1 when this season is finished. I don't remember some of those details.

While watching this episode, I did have to wonder if the show was originally to be set (or at least start off) in the late 80's/early 90's. They nail everything from that era perfectly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

That was a really good depiction of alzheimers

Yeah, it reminded me of my grandfather in the last few months where he would be lucid and then get combative and confused at the drop of a hat.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Phenotype posted:

I love the low bar set for evangelical preacher-grifters here hahaha. "Well, it's just pretty milquetoast hateful bigotry that doesn't rile anyone up too bad, not like those other preacher-grifters who really revel in it."

If a guy's religious belief is that being gay is a sin, would you rather him be on TV for millions to see screaming that they're going to burn in hell or just keep it to himself? I know I'd rather him shut up about it.

Great episode.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The de aging on Goodman is fantastic. I wonder if Martin has the money somewhere, or Geldoff told him where it was and they just pocket the whole thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

Wh who else was having flashbacks to the 90s after seeing those Christmas decorations? Holy poo poo.

It's honestly one of the more authentic depictions of the 90s I've seen- movies/shows set in the 90s or 80s tend to overdo the aesthetic based on nostalgia but they found the right tone.

Especially the retro Fancy Nancy's which is dead on what a Wendy's looked like in 1993.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
For as accurate as the aesthetics were, there were a couple lines that were jarring to me as being anachronistic for the early to mid 90s.

I think they were both from Jessie? I think he referred to Eli having “fat stacks” at one point. To be honest I don’t really know when this slang came around, but even if it was around then, would sheltered suburban white kid Jesse know it?

Also either he or Judy said “FYI” at one point, which I’m pretty sure wasn’t being said around that time either.

And there was a third thing but I can’t remember it right now. Thought it was interesting

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Jesse and Judy have always known way too much about rap culture for ministers children. And people said FYI a lot of the 90s, even Dilbert made fun of it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

He's been doing the prepper food buckets thing for years and the advertisements are fuckin hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37W0jPpA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I had a weird dream last night that had me and whatever McBride character I was thinking up, trying to do schemes or something. "Car pranks, baby..."

And Jody Hill was in it, too. He was always crying, upset about something, but McBride didn't give a poo poo or notice, not once.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
"Gradient Effects proprietary Shapeshifter tool allows artists to reshape an individual frame and the performers in it and then extend those results across the rest of a shot."

Definitely going to keep my eyes on this company

https://www.gradientfx.com/

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The fictional news show Murphy Brown hosted was called FYI and that show started in 1988.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I know I heard "fat stack" a bunch as a kid in the 80's, but it was basically used interchangeably with "butt load".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you haven’t watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye you need to get on that now. It’s amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDO2oXAgQbI

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

OldSenileGuy posted:

For as accurate as the aesthetics were, there were a couple lines that were jarring to me as being anachronistic for the early to mid 90s.

I think they were both from Jessie? I think he referred to Eli having “fat stacks” at one point. To be honest I don’t really know when this slang came around, but even if it was around then, would sheltered suburban white kid Jesse know it?

Also either he or Judy said “FYI” at one point, which I’m pretty sure wasn’t being said around that time either.

And there was a third thing but I can’t remember it right now. Thought it was interesting

Kid Jessie said "finna."

The Gemstone Babies are great, I especially like Kid Judy's twitchy dancing, it's spot on to adult Judy.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

If you haven’t watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye you need to get on that now. It’s amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDO2oXAgQbI

It's a good movie. Andrew Garfield should be in contention for an Oscar imo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
As Vrunt said: they should have an Oscar for the messiest movie, and a Felix for the cleanest movie

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The documentary it's based on is very good too

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Jim and Tammy Faye, in this episode I loved Eli springing a huge surprise financial decision on both a studio full of people and his wife at once, forcing her to roll with the punches on the spot. That was obviously a call back to the kind of poo poo Jim Bakker would do on PTL (at least in the Eyes of Tammy Faye movie, and I'm assuming those scenes were pretty true to life since they were captured on camera)

I'll have to check out that documentary!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0PIRFtN-DE

BJ is a goddamn treasure.

I've said this before, but if y'all want more "Goggins and Tim Baltz" content, check out John Bronco (and the sequel, John Bronco Rides Again). They're both pretty short, but fantastic.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
nice little detail in the flashback is that Judy got rollerblades for christmas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The art design team for this episode really nailed 1993.

Everyone's talking about how good Eli's de-aging was, but what about Baby Billy! Absolutely perfect!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

zoux posted:

Everyone's talking about how good Eli's de-aging was, but what about Baby Billy! Absolutely perfect!

I was about to correct, you but caught myself.

I'm only half idiot. :colbert:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

zoux posted:

i don't think he played a convincing baby at all but what the hell, i still love the man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think my favorite early 90's detail was the blurry foreground shot of somebody smoking inside a "Wendy's". You could smoke in fast food restaurants back then! They had little disposable foil ashtrays

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that was the same chicken place as the present day, but the decor in the flashback was definitely Wendy’s.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

zoux posted:

They had little disposable foil ashtrays

Oh my god, I haven't thought of those in so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

timp posted:

Speaking of Jim and Tammy Faye, in this episode I loved Eli springing a huge surprise financial decision on both a studio full of people and his wife at once, forcing her to roll with the punches on the spot. That was obviously a call back to the kind of poo poo Jim Bakker would do on PTL (at least in the Eyes of Tammy Faye movie, and I'm assuming those scenes were pretty true to life since they were captured on camera)

I'll have to check out that documentary!

The documentary was made by the people who make Drag Race, it's basically a love letter to Tammy from the LGBT community