Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Star Trek Online has decided to answer the question "What if the Enterprise-D had a drunken one-night stand with a D'Deridex warbird?"

It certainly looks like it was designed in 1987.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up a couple of new space boats in Star Trek Online.

The Pathfinder class is an endgame variant of the Intrepid, and as with many modern STO endgame variants of a ship from the show, it's based on concept art for the shows - this one, with the downswept nacelles trailing behind the ship, I think even made it to the modeling stage. Shame the Pathfinder is lackluster as an actual ship - I may not have liked Voyager much as a show, but in my opinion the Intrepid class was the best looking protagonist ship in Star Trek history.

The Jem'hadar Vanguard Dreadnought is based on the big Dominion battleships from the show, and if you look closely the ship looks very much like a relatively squishy core part of the ship was built first, then a heavily armored exoskeleton built around it like a protective carapace. The other big capital ships from the Jem'hadar Vanguard line share this aesthetic, and it's kind of a shame in my opinion that it wasn't used more often. But no Dominion in Enterprise, Discovery, or Picard, presumably because those shows were repelled by any narrative proximity to an actually good Star Trek show like a vampire fleeing from a strip mall Italian joint.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hell yeah purple ships 💜

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All those cool STO ships got me to reinstall and i forgot why i stopped playing was because every mission i had was "fight a Dr'drex" which will gently caress you up big time if you make a single mistake.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Someone finally made a good looking TIE knockoff in that it actually looks like something you might see in the movies.

I really like how chunky the design is. It's a bomber/missile boat and doesn't need any of the delicacy you see in most TIE designs.

It's just a loving beast.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

It's like a Vulture Droid and a Tie Bomber had a kid who's now an angsty teenager trying to be edgy :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bootcha posted:

Lest we forget the one time Valve Software almost made a space game.

These are rad

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone finally made a good looking TIE knockoff in that it actually looks like something you might see in the movies.

I really like how chunky the design is. It's a bomber/missile boat and doesn't need any of the delicacy you see in most TIE designs.

It's just a loving beast.

I respect your opinion and everything, but personally I hate this thing. It smacks of tacticool, and feels utterly out of place against the rest of it's universe. I can see John Cena flying it in Furious 15.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah I think it just about works as a droid controlled TIE variant but large fighter-jet style cockpits are a staple of the smaller Star Wars ships.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

TIE fighters are meant to look like wrapped hard candies that the good guys crack open

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah I think it just about works as a droid controlled TIE variant but large fighter-jet style cockpits are a staple of the smaller Star Wars ships.

It's not terribly imaginative, but I do have a soft spot for the TIE-D in filling the droid ship niche.
All elegance cut away and it's just a mass produced heap of poo poo they didn't even waste time shaping wing tips for. Eat a face full of these, Wedge.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That artist has done quite a few Star Wars ships in that style - they don't really look like they fit the universe, but considering how much influence Japanese movies had on the series initially, it kind of makes sense to explore what the series might look like with a more anime/mech-inspired aesthetic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's definitely influenced by anime designs. I just really love chunky spaceships.

Like the quadjumper :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the Necron star destroyer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always enjoyed Destiny 1's big boys

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

I like the Necron star destroyer.

The particular smooth, semigloss blue-black they use is very attractive.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Those are rad as hell

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They look like a version of the Empire run by droids. In a good way, that is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This one is straight up Mass Effect. Those engines look just like the Normandy’s:

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I am not sure how to embed images but the work of Eric Geusz is pretty neat. He's the guy who turns every day objects into space ships.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

chainchompz posted:

I am not sure how to embed images but the work of Eric Geusz is pretty neat. He's the guy who turns every day objects into space ships.

This is really nice. Thanks.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RBA Starblade posted:

I've always enjoyed Destiny 1's big boys

Destiny 1 had absolutely amazing spaceship designs and a unique aesthetic to boot. It’s a pity that D2 threw it all away for the most godawful Getty stock images ships possible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

This one is straight up Mass Effect. Those engines look just like the Normandy’s:

I just finished a full playthrough of ME Legendary and like i knew I loved the Normandy before, but drat is it a cool ship. The upgrade from 1 to 2 just improves on it. I love how the interior of the ship makes logical sense for what the outside looks like, also that the inside is a separate pressure hull than the outside. Of course most ships would be like a submarine, its exterior hull would contain interior hulls so if one is punctured the others may not be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

twistedmentat posted:

I just finished a full playthrough of ME Legendary and like i knew I loved the Normandy before, but drat is it a cool ship. The upgrade from 1 to 2 just improves on it. I love how the interior of the ship makes logical sense for what the outside looks like, also that the inside is a separate pressure hull than the outside. Of course most ships would be like a submarine, its exterior hull would contain interior hulls so if one is punctured the others may not be.

I appreciated how ME3 has the SR-2 retrofitted to the SR-1's military standards (and it's incomplete at that)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

RBA Starblade posted:

I appreciated how ME3 has the SR-2 retrofitted to the SR-1's military standards (and it's incomplete at that)

I love that there’s trailing cables everywhere, giving it a real sense of being a rush job.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RBA Starblade posted:

The_Doctor posted:

I love that there’s trailing cables everywhere, giving it a real sense of being a rush job.

Yea, this is probably my ME3's Normandy is my favorite. I also like how its very clear that the crew is just people who were working on the retrofit and therefor are out of their depth.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

galagazombie posted:

Destiny 1 had absolutely amazing spaceship designs and a unique aesthetic to boot. It’s a pity that D2 threw it all away for the most godawful Getty stock images ships possible.

They've been adding in better ships (and armor) recently, but still nothing as good as Birth of History or the other Iron Banner ship, Hebridean Thoughtcrime:

Callisto Lancer in D2 is pretty good, though:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

chainchompz posted:

Not embedding any images here made me curious and I tracked down his gallery. So thanks!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol it's such a Starfury knockoff that it's even titled the Fury :xd:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I for one am not a big fan of the Normandy redesign. It removed the awesome moving wings and a lot of the curves and chrome that gave the SR1 (and ME1’s art design in general) that golden age sci fi look. 2&3 made everything too modern and boxy looking and lost 1’s throwback charm. Like Shepards armor goes from wearing some form fitting body glove to generic “space marine” armor.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

galagazombie posted:

I for one am not a big fan of the Normandy redesign. It removed the awesome moving wings and a lot of the curves and chrome that gave the SR1 (and ME1’s art design in general) that golden age sci fi look. 2&3 made everything too modern and boxy looking and lost 1’s throwback charm. Like Shepards armor goes from wearing some form fitting body glove to generic “space marine” armor.

But making the armor modular was a good idea. When i play as a class that can only were light armor, which most of the interesting classes, you can only wear light armor and you end up wearing the same armor for most of the game until you can find a colossus.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Polaron posted:

They've been adding in better ships (and armor) recently, but still nothing as good as Birth of History or the other Iron Banner ship, Hebridean Thoughtcrime:

Callisto Lancer in D2 is pretty good, though:

Most of the Destiny 1 ships were assembled from generic components, in Destiny 2 almost all the ships worth a second look are fully unique models because they're paid cosmetics now. There are some neat ones:

They also pulled in the best unique ship model from Destiny 1 a few years ago:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

twistedmentat posted:

But making the armor modular was a good idea. When i play as a class that can only were light armor, which most of the interesting classes, you can only wear light armor and you end up wearing the same armor for most of the game until you can find a colossus.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive though. Ones art design and ones gameplay. They could have totally made versions of ME1's armor that swapped out pieces and such.

Back to Destiny ship chat, nothing beats the Kestrel CX0 aka the Vic Viper from Gradius, my most used ship in the game.

Second place goes to the aforementioned Hebredian Thoughtcrime and Agonarch Karve, as well as

The Ceres Galliot

The BKR Blockade Runner

The Phaeton 2.1

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This is me being incredibly angry that the ships in Destiny 2 are all absolute trash by comparison to this day, with very few exceptions

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

galagazombie posted:

The Phaeton 2.1

This thing was always my favorite in D1 and I am still angry that it's only available covered in weird red veins in D2 as a spooky Halloween ship.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Polaron posted:

This thing was always my favorite in D1 and I am still angry that it's only available covered in weird red veins in D2 as a spooky Halloween ship.

The red vine stuff is supposed to be a nanomachine plague thing

It reminded me of The Beast from Homeworld Cataclysm lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is that a reference to Red Weed from War of the Worlds?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 8, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe? This is the ship:

The nanomachine plague looked more plastic and artificial

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MikeJF posted:

Is that a reference to Red Weed from War of the Worlds.

In both cases probably but that didn't occur to me before lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

RBA Starblade posted:

The red vine stuff is supposed to be a nanomachine plague thing

It reminded me of The Beast from Homeworld Cataclysm lol

It would remind you of something from Homeworld :v:

And I know it's supposed to be SIVA-y, but I don't really like SIVA's aesthetics for Guardian equipment, just bad guy stuff.