Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

JBP posted:

You just get in that rear end against anything bigger than a man and stay there rallying if you make a mistake until it dies.

I've spent all these years clowning on Souls games for the tried and true "just circle around and get up in that rear end" without once thinking about what I'd do if one of my friends' smaller, faster kids suddenly went postal on me with a knife. The first few are gonna get dropkicked, but the others are gonna watch and learn, and I'm bound to get tired eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lexorin posted:

It loses 1x times fun every time you have to do it over again because you didn't anticipate something or kinda hosed up.

In generally I enjoyed vanilla DS2, it seemed difficult but fair. The DLCs, while having interesting stories and nice maps, really doubled down on the "Oh, you want dark souls to be hard, huh?" schtick and went overboard. If they halved the HP and defense on everything across the board it'd feel more like a gradual incline of progress instead of a brick wall.

I enjoyed bloodborne and finished it and did a lot of the randomized dungeon things. I tried to play it again recently and I'm not really sure why but I really didn't enjoy it.

My solution to that was playing the game slowly and methodically, studying my surroundings, being over-careful and not rushing myself. It created a tension that's not found in many other games outside of roguelikes (which are probably my favorite and most played genre). I loved DeS, DS1 and DS2 because they were all games that supported that slow-crawl playstyle and it made them completely unique - there aren't many slow-paced, thoughtful third person action games. The levels were long and dangerous and there was a lot at stake as you explored them which heightened the sense of tension and made every encounter feel impactful. Resource scarcity was meaningful because there was no telling when you'd see the next bonfire (especially with many of them being hidden). DS1 & 2 both let you easily hide behind giant tower shields and the games felt largely about that moment of being a wimpy knight taking shelter behind a huge wall of a shield while dragon's fire rained around you and thinking "well poo poo, what do I do next?"

DS3 took the game in a different direction and to me it felt like that entire theme was stripped out of it. The enemies and bosses are harder to turtle and be contemplative against, everything is a bit more fast-paced, the environments feel short and gamey and like clearly-directed videogame environments instead of weird places full of trouble that you want no part of. It made me feel more like an action hero who dies and comes back to life a lot than a wimpy knight shaking in his boots because he's been fighting this dragon over and over and keeps getting roasted. That could in some part just be from getting better at the games overall and being less scared of the enemies, but I still get that feeling when I play the first three.

I never played Bloodborne much because both times I tried I had my save ruined after 4-5 hours by weird hacked/glitched multiplayer chalice dungeons I tried to join that trapped me in empty rooms beneath the level geometry with active bosses I couldn't see or fight, and finding a way to die would just respawn me in that room. But I got much the same feeling from it that I did from DS3 - I felt like a hunter instead of the hunted and it totally wrecked what drew me to the series originally.

They're still objectively good games but they just really were not my thing. It feels like DS2 was the last traditional *Souls game to me. I liked Sekiro because it leaned hard enough into that different direction to become a thing of its own but it never captivated me the way DeS/DS1/DS2 did

I'm mostly hype for Elden Ring because it looks like a fresh take either way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 31, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
DS3 was the first good souls game, Sekiro was mostly an improvement with a few sidegrades (mostly the loss of multiplayer, which is huge but also allows it to be far more focused in its mechanics) and I suspect the same will be true of Bloodborne if it ever comes to god's own platform

e: "the levels feel like a video game" is a good thing. they're actually designed to function as environments for play, that's what makes them interesting! it's hard enough making something that works well as both as a PvE gauntlet and a PvP arena without adding further priorities because someone's verisimilitude wasn't tickled enough.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 31, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think I have in large part played way too many videogames in my life and have become jaded enough w/r/t them that environments feeling gamey is not a good thing IMO. Being gamey makes them predictable which takes all of my fun out of exploring them, the encounters start to feel like mechanical processes instead of dangerous threats, the world stops surprising me, and I start skipping a lot of exploration because what's the point of exploring when loot I don't need to beat the game is all I get out of it? I loved the sense of being hopelessly lost in an area that made no sense to me or exploring just to see what the hell is out there in DS1/DS2 specifically because it's not something I get to experience in heavily gamified games that I've played too much of. In DS3 I felt like I always knew what was out there even before taking a closer look because things were pretty clearly earmarked and it was designed like I would naturally expect a videogame environment to be designed.

That's a fair point about PvP arenas but I've never engaged with PvP in any of these games and sacrificing the interesting aspects of the PvE arena for the sake of becoming a better PvP arena is exactly the kind of thing that made me like BB/DS3 less

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 31, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah i don't actually disagree with any of your characterization at all, i just think all of that stuff owns lol

like just a few pages ago i was praising what you call "predictability" as a major contributor to fairness and a counterpoint to people who says souls games are just about trial-and-error memorization :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I can recognize that DS3 (and probably BB though I have minimal experience with it) are objectively better "games" because that stuff is all way more tightly designed, yeah.

I just wish more games focused on being interesting adventures like the first few Souls games did. Elden Ring seems like it's a big step in that direction and I'm excited to find out just how far it steps :hellyeah:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I can recognize that DS3 (and probably BB though I have minimal experience with it) are objectively better "games" because that stuff is all way more tightly designed, yeah.

I just wish more games focused on being interesting adventures like the first few Souls games did. Elden Ring seems like it's a big step in that direction and I'm excited to find out just how far it steps :hellyeah:

Yeah this has me excited as well. Watching Zullie/Illusory Wall videos exploring level geometry and I always get a feeling of “ooh I wonder what’s behind there…oh, obviously nothing really because the player was never meant to see the level from that direction.” Not that it’s a knock against From’s games just because there isn’t like an a fully modeled abandoned shopping complex just out of sight right around the corner in Yarhnam. I always wanted to explore the “skybox” town in Boletaria and Eleum Loyce and now in Elden Ring there are a lot more places you can see that you can actually go to. (Of course that no doubt impacts the level design. Can’t create a an entire low poly town that looks good from a distance because the player could actually walk right up to it. Either it has to be fully fleshed our, or more likely cut.) I also imagine the 1.0 version will probably have some pretty crazy sequence breaks because of jumping. Even the best team of QA testers can’t compete with millions of players jumping at every conceivable angle of every piece of level geometry.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

DourCricket posted:

This dev is fuckin brilliant. Do we know how much of the game this covers?

I believe it's just up through Gascoigne, but she also added some original content

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

I never played Bloodborne much because both times I tried I had my save ruined after 4-5 hours by weird hacked/glitched multiplayer chalice dungeons I tried to join that trapped me in empty rooms beneath the level geometry with active bosses I couldn't see or fight, and finding a way to die would just respawn me in that room. But I got much the same feeling from it that I did from DS3 - I felt like a hunter instead of the hunted and it totally wrecked what drew me to the series originally.

This is an extremely strange and rare thing to happen not just once, but twice to someone. My recommendation if you decide to play Bloodborne in the future is to not do that again

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I suspect the same will be true of Bloodborne if it ever comes to god's own platform

But we're never getting a Switch port...

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I just remembered that for DS1 was so difficult for me that I ended up following a guide that I'm sure I found on SA. It was something a poster created and I think it was in pdf form. It described how to kill the hellkite drake with arrows in order to get the drake sword. Also it explicitly stated that it wouldn't be effective for very long because it couldn't be upgraded.

Does anyone remember this?

edit: it was done by forums user sheep-goats

huh fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 1, 2022

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Goons, we now live in the month of Elden Ring!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CottonWolf posted:

Been living in it for near 15 hours. I feel jittery.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

My solution to that was playing the game slowly and methodically, studying my surroundings, being over-careful and not rushing myself. It created a tension that's not found in many other games outside of roguelikes (which are probably my favorite and most played genre). I loved DeS, DS1 and DS2 because they were all games that supported that slow-crawl playstyle and it made them completely unique - there aren't many slow-paced, thoughtful third person action games. The levels were long and dangerous and there was a lot at stake as you explored them which heightened the sense of tension and made every encounter feel impactful. Resource scarcity was meaningful because there was no telling when you'd see the next bonfire (especially with many of them being hidden). DS1 & 2 both let you easily hide behind giant tower shields and the games felt largely about that moment of being a wimpy knight taking shelter behind a huge wall of a shield while dragon's fire rained around you and thinking "well poo poo, what do I do next?"

DS3 took the game in a different direction and to me it felt like that entire theme was stripped out of it. The enemies and bosses are harder to turtle and be contemplative against, everything is a bit more fast-paced, the environments feel short and gamey and like clearly-directed videogame environments instead of weird places full of trouble that you want no part of. It made me feel more like an action hero who dies and comes back to life a lot than a wimpy knight shaking in his boots because he's been fighting this dragon over and over and keeps getting roasted. That could in some part just be from getting better at the games overall and being less scared of the enemies, but I still get that feeling when I play the first three.

They're still objectively good games but they just really were not my thing. It feels like DS2 was the last traditional *Souls game to me. I liked Sekiro because it leaned hard enough into that different direction to become a thing of its own but it never captivated me the way DeS/DS1/DS2 did

this is great, and spot on. It's the great shame that as fromsoft has refined the formula and created some of the best fights ever in videogames, they've lost the mystery element. I often think about how the pendant in Dark Souls 1 inspired all this speculation, because the world of Dark Souls 1 feels so immersive and real that it's not hard to believe that there's some obscure spot you perform some emote with the pendant equipped and get brought to the world where the triforce is hidden.

The latter games did away with that and focused more on ultra tight combat and cinematic boss fights.

You should give Bloodborne another chance though, I think it's really the only game that can compete with DS1 in terms of creating a compelling and immersive world.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

That could in some part just be from getting better at the games overall and being less scared of the enemies, but I still get that feeling when I play the first three.

It's that, but it's also that they had to design games for people who have played souls games before. Resurrecting skeletons might have been an ohshit moment in DS1 but you just stood there waiting for them to pop up again in DS3. You see a bonewheel and you know how to react. No one will be shocked by a second gargoyle. Most importantly, barring some dick moves in DS2, everyone knows you can just run past everything. So the focus shifts onto the bosses.

I'm sure ER will have plenty of new surprises and fun exploration but if you've played through all these games dozens of times already Man With Sword and Spooky Dungeon aren't going to rattle you.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I have only finished BB and Demon's souls. I hated them so much but they were bloody fantastic. The Swamp of Sorrows made me and my brother in law go mad.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
DS3 takes the level design philosophy of DS1 and just makes the environments bigger and more intricate than before and crucially doesn't totally fall apart in the last 1/3 of the game. its level design rules idk what people are talking about

the only thing it lacks is the same sort of interconnected world as DS1, but that's an understandable absence if you think about what actually went into making that work in DS1. the levels all loop back on themselves more intricately so it makes up for it in some ways

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing through DS3 for the first time since it was released and I remember so little of it (probably because I used to play games stoned) and it is way harder than I remember it. Also the world is so much smaller than I remembered.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

Dark Souls 1 inspired all this speculation, because the world of Dark Souls 1 feels so immersive and real that it's not hard to believe that there's some obscure spot you perform some emote with the pendant equipped and get brought to the world where the triforce is hidden.

Isn't that literally how you reach the dragon level in DS3? I think the speculation is just resolved online much more quickly nowadays because the games are crazy popular, so instead of guesses on day 3 there are just guides and answers.

I'm sure ER will have some obscure stuff that many people will end up just reading about in the wiki rather than "risk" missing things. It's probably hard to be surprising when people are expecting those Souls-isms more now too.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I wanted to grab a replay on Dark1 at 60fps, but the ps5 is in another room. I'm never going to try playing souls over remote play again because that was the hardest souls game I've ever played.

lih posted:

the only thing it lacks is the same sort of interconnected world as DS1, but that's an understandable absence if you think about what actually went into making that work in DS1. the levels all loop back on themselves more intricately so it makes up for it in some ways

There's a bit more elegant take on this in Sekiro, which kind of splits the difference by being interconnected but without the massive areas. The paths themselves are still very videogamey and linear but there are so many viable routes that open up you can complete large chunks of the game in between a couple of roadblock bosses.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

The greatest month in human history?

Perhaps so! And yes definitely.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

lih posted:

DS3 takes the level design philosophy of DS1 and just makes the environments bigger and more intricate than before and crucially doesn't totally fall apart in the last 1/3 of the game. its level design rules idk what people are talking about

DS3 is super linear, which is the biggest strike against it in my opinion. Some of the levels themselves were very well designed — but there was no sense of exploration in the world itself. DS1’s interconnected world was part of its unique experience, but not the core of it. The more careful curation of the experience in DS3 strips it of a sense of experimentation and mystery.

Mailer posted:

It's that, but it's also that they had to design games for people who have played souls games before. Resurrecting skeletons might have been an ohshit moment in DS1 but you just stood there waiting for them to pop up again in DS3. You see a bonewheel and you know how to react. No one will be shocked by a second gargoyle. Most importantly, barring some dick moves in DS2, everyone knows you can just run past everything. So the focus shifts onto the bosses.

While this is true, I don’t think it necessarily has to be so. It would be quite rash to say no developer could ever surprise a player again with a similar formula; it’s just difficult and perhaps unlikely. Whether or not Elden Ring is just Big Dark Souls (which would be enough to place it among the very top tier of games alone) is largely up to whether From can shake things up enough to surprise us.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CottonWolf posted:

Patiently waiting for the Elden Ring backlash to begin.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I mostly agree with this. I still love Dark Souls 3 the most out of all the souls games, but I don't like how you have to rely much more on dodge rolling than shield blocking for everything. That's mostly for aesthetic reasons though. I think rolling through everything looks loving stupid. If you could replace your roll by a Bloodborne/Sekiro style quickstep more easily, I wouldn't mind it as much. For this reason, I'm very excited that Elden Ring will both have a quickstep (although maybe only as a weapon art) and make shields good to use again.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the environments of DS3 however. It has some weak levels but also some of the best individual levels of the whole series. The Undead Settlement is huge and has some lovely environmental storytelling. Then you have Irithyll, the High Wall, the Grand Archives. My favorite level in all Souls games, which nobody seems to talk about that much, is the Cathedral of the Deep. It's ingenious how it's essentially built around a single central bonfire that you loop back to. I find it also remarkable how close the whole construction feels like a "real" cathedral while still working brilliantly as a videogame level.

BTW, for those of you who've played the network test, how does parrying work in Elden Ring? Is it Sekiro style parrying where you have to parry exactly as the attack connects with you or DS2/3 style parrying where your parry has a windup animation and you have to parry some time in advance?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Electromax posted:

Isn't that literally how you reach the dragon level in DS3? I think the speculation is just resolved online much more quickly nowadays because the games are crazy popular, so instead of guesses on day 3 there are just guides and answers.

Not quite. There's a prompt if you have the emote unlocked. And on a "normal" run (not killing the Dancer early) you would be backtracking, but it's a very distinctive spot with a great view of the peak and all those corpses doing the pose next to it.

Bloodborne does have a place where you can use an emote unprompted to get something, though. You can Make Contact with the Brain of Mensis. You have to let it play out for a really long time to get a reward, too.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

KonvexKonkav posted:

BTW, for those of you who've played the network test, how does parrying work in Elden Ring? Is it Sekiro style parrying where you have to parry exactly as the attack connects with you or DS2/3 style parrying where your parry has a windup animation and you have to parry some time in advance?

Reports and videos online indicate that ER parrying is very similar to DS3, complete with windup timing. The parry animation itself is lifted entirely from DS

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If I wanted to pick up one of the older games to re-familiarize myself with the controls and menu navigation leading up to Elden Ring, based on what you guys know about the new game (I've gone dark), which one do you think would be the best one to kind of get warmed up?

Because I suck at these games and want to suck less at this new one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BiggerBoat posted:

If I wanted to pick up one of the older games to re-familiarize myself with the controls and menu navigation leading up to Elden Ring, based on what you guys know about the new game (I've gone dark), which one do you think would be the best one to kind of get warmed up?

Because I suck at these games and want to suck less at this new one.

Dark Souls 3 would be your best bet since it's using the same engine.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Magitek posted:

Reports and videos online indicate that ER parrying is very similar to DS3, complete with windup timing. The parry animation itself is lifted entirely from DS

drat this sucks. I hate DS3 parrying

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Patiently waiting for the Elden Ring backlash to begin.

the elden ring contrarians will rise from the swamps in due time. their anguished cries, oozing disgustingly

“dark souls 2 had better combat”
“the music is not nearly as memorable as DeS”
“the open world feels bland compared to horizon forbidden dawn”

and i will ignore them, so i can enjoy a cool game, so the world might be mended

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm starting elden ring forwardlash. i hate the horse system where you need to feed it every 10 minutes or it dies. i hate how ghosts steal your money when you're not looking. i hate that the moonlight greatsword is in the game but it's in a museum as a prop and you can't use it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

punished milkman posted:

the elden ring contrarians will rise from the swamps in due time. their anguished cries, oozing disgustingly

“dark souls 2 had better combat”
“the open world feels bland compared to horizon forbidden dawn”

and i will ignore them, so i can enjoy a cool game, so the world might be mended

Yuuuuuuuuup. Exhibit A: The open world is going to be pure trash. Unfounded comparisons abound.

I trust Fromsoft to do it right.

How long has ER been in proper development? How does that compare to the amount of time for their other stuff? Very curious about that but i have no clue.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

punished milkman posted:

The only things I remember about Demon's Souls (original) soundtrack was that it sucked, and one or more of the boss themes just sounded like he was farting a bunch

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

enojy posted:

The only things I remember about Demon's Souls (original) soundtrack was that it sucked, and one or more of the boss themes just sounded like he was farting a bunch

Yeah but it had the original Maiden Astrea's theme which is like top 3 of all Souls tracks

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

DeS OST rules dude you're out of your mind.

Souls of Mist (character creation)
https://youtu.be/C7Xv0mJkHpw

Maiden Astraea
https://youtu.be/9piElENpvmM

Tower Knight
https://youtu.be/mIW7Ho4xMa4

One Who Craves Souls (bad ending)
https://youtu.be/6ESqvGzdnvs

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
yeah i love the demons souls soundtrack. there’s a sad, ambient kind of vibe to the tracks that just hooks into me. the bombast of the later game soundtracks also rule, but DeS evokes that mysterious forlorn feeling so well

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Big Bizness posted:

DeS OST rules dude you're out of your mind.

Souls of Mist (character creation)
https://youtu.be/C7Xv0mJkHpw

Maiden Astraea
https://youtu.be/9piElENpvmM

Tower Knight
https://youtu.be/mIW7Ho4xMa4

One Who Craves Souls (bad ending)
https://youtu.be/6ESqvGzdnvs

The main theme leitmotif is also burned into my skull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDY4r951Zc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnZc5FAojRs

I still remember when the first trailer released and the bahn bahn first started going with the dragon flying in and the narration telling you humanity only lasted 2 days in this universe.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mailer posted:

That's a pretty fair analysis of how the series has shifted, even though personally I love the quality and quantity of boss design in DS3 and Sekiro. For what it's worth, for better or worse from reading the big Game Informer preview, I got the impression Elden Ring will be very very dense with boss battles. While the author said some are less elaborate than others, it sounded like there was one at the bottom of just about every single cave.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This'll be the first Souls game I play on release instead of after the world has had plenty of time to write out boss guides and item tips and tricks and all the rest of it. I'm excited to have that different experience of not having a fallback ability to look up a boss after a couple frustrating tries.

I'm also determined not to go into the game as an armchair game dev but instead to try to take the game for what it is and presume that I need to get better at the game, rather than writing about how the game needs to change to accommodate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if you just run past everything in your first play through of a dark souls game you are truly cursed