Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Not a bad idea.. I didn't think of that. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's 2nd-generation iPad mini is getting pretty long in the tooth, so she'd like to replace it. Is there any reason to look for a 5th generation one instead of the newest? Mostly she just reads with the Kindle app and does some web browsing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hooah posted:

My wife's 2nd-generation iPad mini is getting pretty long in the tooth, so she'd like to replace it. Is there any reason to look for a 5th generation one instead of the newest? Mostly she just reads with the Kindle app and does some web browsing.

The Mini 5 is almost 3 years old so I would definitely not consider it at this point.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

hooah posted:

339 in the Apple Refurbished store right now if you're looking for something with Apple's warranty and eligible for AppleCare+- https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FUQX2LL/A/Refurbished-iPad-mini-5-Wi-Fi-64GB-Silver

If she's committed to the form factor. The A12 inside should be supported for a good long while still, just won't get the fancy schmancy screen. If you can find a good used deal on one used, the aforementioned battery replacement when it comes to iPad is in all likelihood going to be a good as new replacement device with a new battery and 90 day warranty on the work for that 100 bucks baring any other damage.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

hooah posted:

I think the new 6th gen is way more comfortable to hold for long periods since the corners don’t come to sharp edges like the older ones. If reading is a big use case I’d definitely at least try to hold onto one in a store to see how she likes it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Mini 5 is almost 3 years old so I would definitely not consider it at this point.

Oh wow, i didn't realize they'd gone that long between generations. Certainly explains my difficulty in finding a new 5. We'll go with the 6 then. Thanks to the other folks who responded, too.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
This is a long shot, but does anyone know of a way to get an iPad (Pro) and a Windows computer to use the same external SSD without the inevitable tears due to data corruption? It seems like iPads don't actually play nice with exFAT despite officially supporting it.

Paragon offers APFS support for Windows - anyone know if that would be a reliable way to achieve this?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Does it have to be direct? Can’t just have Windows share it out and access it via SMB in Files?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Does it have to be direct? Can’t just have Windows share it out and access it via SMB in Files?

This is what I had to do after having to remap the drive attached to my Airport one too many times.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
After talking to my girlfriend again, there are actually two separate use cases:
1. She has an ancient Windows laptop that's full of stuff she doesn't want to lose. That laptop is on its way out and once it's gone, the iPad is her only device.
2. She has a Windows computer at work and would like to be able to easily transfer files between that computer and her iPad so that she can occasionally work from home. She's allowed to hook up USB devices for that purpose, but convincing IT to install a client for a cloud solution will be an uphill battle.

1. seems like something that Paragon APFS for Windows should be able to take care of.
2. Her work does offer WebDAV access over VPN - is that something that would work well on an iPad if she wanted to, say, edit a PowerPoint or spreadsheet from home?

Sorry for asking these dummy questions, but I personally don't use an iPad, and the way in which iPadOS handles files and filesystems seems extremely opaque and counterproductive to me.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Wait what's wrong with using a regular external USB drive on an iPad?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

After talking to my girlfriend again, there are actually two separate use cases:
1. She has an ancient Windows laptop that's full of stuff she doesn't want to lose. That laptop is on its way out and once it's gone, the iPad is her only device.
2. She has a Windows computer at work and would like to be able to easily transfer files between that computer and her iPad so that she can occasionally work from home. She's allowed to hook up USB devices for that purpose, but convincing IT to install a client for a cloud solution will be an uphill battle.

1. seems like something that Paragon APFS for Windows should be able to take care of.
2. Her work does offer WebDAV access over VPN - is that something that would work well on an iPad if she wanted to, say, edit a PowerPoint or spreadsheet from home?

Sorry for asking these dummy questions, but I personally don't use an iPad, and the way in which iPadOS handles files and filesystems seems extremely opaque and counterproductive to me.

edit: Read stuff a little more. Seems like WebDAV over VPN could work, assuming they allow her to access the VPN on a personal device.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 31, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

anothergod posted:

op said something like "iPad doesn't play nice with exFat," but that seems unlikely. I've never done it though so I'm not sure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Badly Jester posted:

She can probably use the work VPN and control her work computer over Microsoft Remote Deaktop (aka RDP). Get a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard connected to the iPad and it’ll be just like she’s in the office with a 10” screen. Provided her internet and network situations are good.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

anothergod posted:

Last Chance posted:

op said something like "iPad doesn't play nice with exFat," but that seems unlikely. I've never done it though so I'm not sure.

Wherever I read about people hooking up non-Apple formatted USB storage to iPads for anything more than transferring a document or two, there are people complaining about the iPad corrupting files on their drive. Obviously people tend not to post about it on the internet when something Just Works, but those reports are numerous enough that my girlfriend won't want to entrust her digital hoard to it. I could, of course, use this as a pretext to finally set up a totally over-engineered NAS at home...

Anyway, we'll try our luck with WebDAV for the work stuff in the meantime. Thanks for helping!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

Wherever I read about people hooking up non-Apple formatted USB storage to iPads for anything more than transferring a document or two, there are people complaining about the iPad corrupting files on their drive. Obviously people tend not to post about it on the internet when something Just Works, but those reports are numerous enough that my girlfriend won't want to entrust her digital hoard to it. I could, of course, use this as a pretext to finally set up a totally over-engineered NAS at home...

Anyway, we'll try our luck with WebDAV for the work stuff in the meantime. Thanks for helping!

She might want to talk to IT a little bit more. I find it very hard to believe they don't have some kind of cloud based service for their documents. They gotta be using Onedrive, Google, Dropbox, something.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
This is at a German university which operates its own cloud service, so no dice on that front. Unfortunately, that cloud service occasionally causes sync issues, which is the reason why she wanted to switch to USB storage in the first place. As far as I'm aware, it's built on rather robust software that is also used elsewhere - so who knows what's going wrong locally.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

This is the first I've heard of iPad's corrupting external media after repeated usage, now I'm feeling a bit paranoid. Any else have any experience there?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

She might want to talk to IT a little bit more. I find it very hard to believe they don't have some kind of cloud based service for their documents. They gotta be using Onedrive, Google, Dropbox, something.

I think in Apple's view this is how you're "supposed to" manage files and documents on an iPad, and the Files app seems built around it. USB/TB were added to the Pro line first for direct file transfers from drives and devices, in the admittedly few times I've used a thumb drive it's never been a problem, honestly I've never even heard of file corruption as a widespread issues.

Unless something seismically changes at Apple though, this is likely what we're stuck with for a while since gimping multitasking and file systems allegedly protects Mac sales.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Please apple, please bring back meaningful file structures and folders. Please.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I’m also itching to upgrade my aging Air 2, but I’m holding out for a 120hz version of the Air that will probably never come.

I want to believe.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'd bet that stays on the pro line if the phones are anything to go by.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

forest spirit posted:

This is the first I've heard of iPad's corrupting external media after repeated usage, now I'm feeling a bit paranoid. Any else have any experience there?

LumaFusion (video editing app originally for the iPad and now on iPhone) advises to try to use drives formatted to APFS and before ejecting from the iPad to force close (swipe up) their app and use the sleep/wake button on the iPad.

Source: https://luma-touch.helpscoutdocs.com/article/210-some-of-my-files-are-corrupt-or-missing-on-my-external-drive-what-should-i-do

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Looks like they say to reformat to APFS or follow that un-mounting procedure.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I've looked into the whole file corruption some more, and it seems that the issue can be narrowed down to iPadOS not having a clean unmounting procedure, which causes a lot more problems on unjournaled filesystems (i.e. anything FAT) than it does on APFS. The Apple file browser in particular seems to be a major culprit. For the "it just works" company, that's a ridiculous problem to have.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

“It just works” has always meant when you interoperate with other Apple technologies, such as APFS

Apple has never prioritized non-Apple interoperability

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know whether the toggle to generate unique WiFi MAC addresses is global, or per-WiFi connection?

Like I am happy to generate rando MAC addresses for public WiFi hotspots but on my home network I want it to show my iPad's real MAC.

I only have one WiFi connection or I guess this would be a super easy thing to test myself.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Pretty sure it's per-network/SSID.

Death to captive portals.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because not everyone wants the mini?

The air has gone a bit without a refresh but it’s very far from bad.

The mini is too small for what I wanted the iPad for, which was drawing and playing some games or browsing the web while at work on a hotspot (I would have preferred to get an iPad Pro, but that was out of my price range) so I got the 2020 Air.

Other than some general iOS complaints (iOS seems pretty terrible for mice with more than 1 button, or wanting back/forward buttons in safari which I use for literally everything all the time in Windows/Firefox, as an example) I think it's great and has done everything else I've asked of it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The mini is too small for what I wanted the iPad for, which was drawing and playing some games or browsing the web while at work on a hotspot (I would have preferred to get an iPad Pro, but that was out of my price range) so I got the 2020 Air.

Other than some general iOS complaints (iOS seems pretty terrible for mice with more than 1 button, or wanting back/forward buttons in safari which I use for literally everything all the time in Windows/Firefox, as an example) I think it's great and has done everything else I've asked of it.

???

the back/forward buttons are right next to the sidebar button in safari. I’m 99% certain there’s a key combo shortcut for it too, if you’d prefer that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The buttons disappear if the URL bar does, but you just have to do a page scroll to get it to unhide. Maybe that’s causing the confusion? Back/Fwd buttons are definitely there though, yeah.

e: I thought for a second maybe the compact tab bar did something stupid like not provide them, but just checked and they're there as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry, I meant, I use the back/forward buttons on a hardware mouse all the time on a desktop, and wish I could figure out a way to use them on iOS. I can connect a mouse and it works, but not how I want it to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh, I gotcha. Lame that you couldn't map those, but I guess they've coded for the existing hardware ecosystem so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. If there was a remap option I would expect it to be hidden somewhere in Accessibility, which is where all the interesting settings seem to fall into. But that would be a stretch to expect.

e: Actually -- mayyyyyyybe?

https://www.howtogeek.com/665233/how-to-customize-mouse-buttons-on-an-ipad/

Not sure it has a fwd/back option but maybe there's some combination of accessibility shortcuts you can define? I might try this out later when I'm not stuck in thursday meeting hell, just to see.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 3, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hot tip, if you have one of these fairly innocuous looking Microsoft Bluetooth mice, they seem to work perfect with iPads. Scrolling and everything seems ok so far

If you’re like me and found out the hard way that not every mouse works with iOS, it’s handy to find a non-apple (cheap) one that does.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good callout. I was going to buy a mouse for my iPad in the next few weeks just because I've been doing more work on it, but then I realized I probably have like 50 of those in my drawer at work. They multiple in a corporate environment. I'll have to go steal a dozen next time I venture out to the office.

It occurred to me that of all the Apple devices I've ever owned, and possibly extending to just "every device I've ever owned", the price to usage ratio for my 2gen 11" iPad Pro is through the roof. I use that thing for literally everything. I'm sitting typing this on mine right now, despite having a brand new 14" decked out MBP to the right of me, and a work 13" to my left. Somehow I just feel more comfortable using this. It's literally at my side all day long. It's the perfect size and weight to carry around, the keyboard makes it a breeze to type, battery life is through the roof, it runs literally everything I want and has LTE so I quite literally never have to think about pulling it out and having instant access to my stuff.

So like, if you compare the price I paid to the hours put on this device I think it blows through basically anything I've ever owned. I struggle to think what would even come close.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 8, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How do i stop the ipad dock from showing the last three opened apps?

Nevermind, i found it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 18, 2022

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Badly Jester posted:

I've looked into the whole file corruption some more, and it seems that the issue can be narrowed down to iPadOS not having a clean unmounting procedure, which causes a lot more problems on unjournaled filesystems (i.e. anything FAT) than it does on APFS. The Apple file browser in particular seems to be a major culprit. For the "it just works" company, that's a ridiculous problem to have.

This might be a little late. But I have had really good luck with the SanDisk ixpand line of drives. Sandisk has an app to aid the transfer process.

I moved many multiple power point and video files back and forth between an iPad pro and a Windows laptop Without any corruption issues.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a recommended phone/tablet stand? Being able to also support portrait mode for an iPad (without tipping over) preferred.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there a recommended phone/tablet stand? Being able to also support portrait mode for an iPad (without tipping over) preferred.

What model? You can get an origami style case for just about all the them (not sure about the 12" pro).

If you just want a desk stand, then something like this should work ok I would think

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Upgraded-Greater-Stability-OMOTON/dp/B08LYSTZV9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have this ultra cheap Amazon Basics stand

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Multi-Angle-Portable-Tablets-readers/dp/B01IJ5A0PC

And it supports my 11 Pro w/keyboard folio (not the smart kbd) and pencil just fine portrait and landscape. Full disclosure my 2020 iPad has probably spent like a grand total of 2 hours in “intentional” portrait mode over its lifetime so I won’t say I’ve done extensive testing, but it never felt like it would topple on that stand. Wouldn’t bet my life on it though.

My stand would also not really work if you wanted to charge your iPad because it sits on the charging port, so I guess the elevated stands posted above would be more suitable. Especially if you’re looking for a desk stand. For a nightstand stand I guess it depends on how high it would sit on the table surface vs your mattress. My Ikea puts me super low to the ground so anything elevated would have me craning up to see the screen.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 19, 2022