Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

I have an 8 bay Dell server and a 12 bay DAS loaded with 2TB drives from a previous company that was getting rid of them. :smug:
and now you can get the same amount of storage in 2 drives for a grand

Yeah, the large capacity drives are great, but your DAS can sustain r/w faster than those large disks. Without a lot of caching, those big disks are really loving slow.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Things are so bad here that I am beginning to wonder if it will affect my long term judgement. Like if you're surrounded by dumpster fires the flaming bag of poo poo on the doorway doesnt seem as bad and you just sort of become numb to it. If my personal life wasnt so busy right now I would be looking for other jobs.

Here is an example of something that literally happened yesterday. Some meaningless details changed as to not doxx myself:

A user put in a helpdesk ticket that upon logging into a host used for training there was an open browser page with credit card information entered in. The helpdesk sat on this ticket for 4 hours before someone emailed my team directly.

Upon initial investigation it seems that someone went completely rogue at a branch location. They got a secondary internet connection put in, purchased a Ubiquiti dream machine to hook up to it, and a server to run off of it. This apparently sat unnoticed in a closet at this branch office. All setup without the involvement of anyone in IT. Just a guy in sales who knew enough to be dangerous.

Supposedly the VMs running on this server were to be used for training and contained no corp or customer data. The machine wasnt on our domain but did have a NIC connected to the internal corp network as well.

After scrambling to get details on all this and locate the machine so that we could at least use the limited tools at our disposal to investigate it I was able to start pulling some logs associated with the dream machine and a single VM hosted on the server. As far as I could tell in the brief time I had access someone had created a new admin user on the VM and had logins going back as far as 3 months.

Then my connection dropped and I got no further information. A helpdesk tech finally picked up the ticket, drove out to the branch, and factory reset the dream machine and formatted the disk on the server. Any information we would've had access to is now gone and I cant even begin to tell higher ups how we managed to gently caress up so many steps along the way as to make this possible.

The best part, in the brief interaction I had with a manager yesterday about this before rage quitting for the day, he didnt even care!!!! Said he thought it sounded like it was taken care of by the helpdesk tech.

This is the poo poo I am dealing with.

dude, I'm so sorry, that loving sucks. :smith: Do some self-care this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Things are so bad here that I am beginning to wonder if it will affect my long term judgement. Like if you're surrounded by dumpster fires the flaming bag of poo poo on the doorway doesnt seem as bad and you just sort of become numb to it. If my personal life wasnt so busy right now I would be looking for other jobs.

Here is an example of something that literally happened yesterday. Some meaningless details changed as to not doxx myself:

A user put in a helpdesk ticket that upon logging into a host used for training there was an open browser page with credit card information entered in. The helpdesk sat on this ticket for 4 hours before someone emailed my team directly.

Upon initial investigation it seems that someone went completely rogue at a branch location. They got a secondary internet connection put in, purchased a Ubiquiti dream machine to hook up to it, and a server to run off of it. This apparently sat unnoticed in a closet at this branch office. All setup without the involvement of anyone in IT. Just a guy in sales who knew enough to be dangerous.

Supposedly the VMs running on this server were to be used for training and contained no corp or customer data. The machine wasnt on our domain but did have a NIC connected to the internal corp network as well.

After scrambling to get details on all this and locate the machine so that we could at least use the limited tools at our disposal to investigate it I was able to start pulling some logs associated with the dream machine and a single VM hosted on the server. As far as I could tell in the brief time I had access someone had created a new admin user on the VM and had logins going back as far as 3 months.

Then my connection dropped and I got no further information. A helpdesk tech finally picked up the ticket, drove out to the branch, and factory reset the dream machine and formatted the disk on the server. Any information we would've had access to is now gone and I cant even begin to tell higher ups how we managed to gently caress up so many steps along the way as to make this possible.

The best part, in the brief interaction I had with a manager yesterday about this before rage quitting for the day, he didnt even care!!!! Said he thought it sounded like it was taken care of by the helpdesk tech.

I think I just had a stroke

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Things are so bad here that I am beginning to wonder if it will affect my long term judgement.

Sorry that you're dealing with such a mess. I just wanted to chime in and say that you're not alone in worrying about this sort of thing. My opinion is that it is definitely a real thing and something that I am constantly thinking about in my travels. Try not to pick up bad habits, and if it's that bad, might be good to get out when you can.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, the large capacity drives are great, but your DAS can sustain r/w faster than those large disks. Without a lot of caching, those big disks are really loving slow.

Yeah but I am past the part in my life where I want to actually do anything where that matters. I don't have time to maintain a datacenter in my basement anymore. :effort:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KillHour posted:

Yeah but I am past the part in my life where I want to actually do anything where that matters. I don't have time to maintain a datacenter in my basement anymore. :effort:

Hire a dct

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

If there are no logs, there's no problem, right?

Also I'm sorry you're dealing with that. It sucks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Hire a dct

"Do you have any questions for me?"

"Yes... what does your company do."

"Nothing. I just have all these servers and I feel like I need to use them for something. Host a Minecraft server or something, IDGAF."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

"Nothing. I just have all these servers and I feel like I need to use them for something. Host a Minecraft server or something, IDGAF."

it's 2022, that means you're gonna end up hosting either a botnet or cryptomining

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

KillHour posted:

pre:
${jndì:ldaps://somethingawful.com/forums}

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rust Martialis posted:

pre:
${jndì:ldaps://somethingawful.com/forums}

doesn't work, SA has no .class

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Potato Salad posted:

:drat:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Potato Salad posted:

It does have jars though

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

It does have jars though

Pretty sure that broke a long time ago

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BonHair posted:

Pretty sure that broke a long time ago

Oh God not that video

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rust Martialis posted:

It does have jars though

that was reddit

that, wasn't a goon, was it?

okay what are you referring to

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Potato Salad posted:

:vince:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Potato Salad posted:

okay what are you referring to

One man one jar

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I cant even get a list of linux hosts we have in the org, asset management is non-existent here. So while I understand your point, I am so far off from being able to do defense in a total depth of 1 layer let alone multiple.

Good news, sounds like you can use Shodan to get that list.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Any Eurogoons interested in discussing NIS 2?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

Any Eurogoons interested in discussing NIS 2?

I’m skeptical about it since it only mandates audit on a limited basis and the control/management entities it mandates at member basis have been created already by most nato members. What are your thoughts?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

I’m skeptical about it since it only mandates audit on a limited basis and the control/management entities it mandates at member basis have been created already by most nato members. What are your thoughts?

I work for a data centre service provider, and we provide services for a number of public and private entities currently deemed either essential or important or likely to be deemed as such once NIS 2 is passed. I am our senior subject matter expert on security including governance, risk and compliance.

The difference between providing services to an essential entity and *being* an essential entity concern me. Annex I lists data centre service providers as a class under Digital Infrastructure open to be considered essential.

If we're essential, then I have to go through notification of the "competent authorities" of any actual serious incident or any potential significant threat within 24 hours, as well as notifying all my customers of any impact and possible mitigations "without undue delay". If we're not deemed essential, I don't face the same reporting rules.

Now the directive will probably be approved this summer with an implementation period of something like 18 months. So I have to advise my CISO and CEO if we need to make sure our vulnerability reporting is up to snuff - stricter than GDPR breach reporting.

The CEO and VP Legal will probably also be interested that they can be suspended for breaches.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

I work for a data centre service provider, and we provide services for a number of public and private entities currently deemed either essential or important or likely to be deemed as such once NIS 2 is passed. I am our senior subject matter expert on security including governance, risk and compliance.

The difference between providing services to an essential entity and *being* an essential entity concern me. Annex I lists data centre service providers as a class under Digital Infrastructure open to be considered essential.

If we're essential, then I have to go through notification of the "competent authorities" of any actual serious incident or any potential significant threat within 24 hours, as well as notifying all my customers of any impact and possible mitigations "without undue delay". If we're not deemed essential, I don't face the same reporting rules.

Now the directive will probably be approved this summer with an implementation period of something like 18 months. So I have to advise my CISO and CEO if we need to make sure our vulnerability reporting is up to snuff - stricter than GDPR breach reporting.

The CEO and VP Legal will probably also be interested that they can be suspended for breaches.

Breach/threat notification under 24 hours is mandated on several members already for public sector(and public controlled in most cases). I work in an italian public entity and ANYTHING foreign that touches data(cryptolockers that wipe storage without recourse included) must be notified to csirt since late 2019. Failure to update csirt is one of the few things i know will have heads roll quick. If you work within the gaia-x framework you are already under similar rules too.
I do am skeptical on the “critical” label, what will get the label? Physical infrastructure for essential services? Datacenter providers that run services for public sector? Software makers for public sector(which are known to have very lax infosec stances)? Any nis2 doc i read doesn’t provide clear guidance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah there's hundreds of thousands of results on Shodan with the management interface of these boxes exposed to the world
lmbo

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Log 4j continues
CVE-2022-23307 now have a CVSS rating of 10.
(unfortunately im on phone and this is in swedish https://cert.se/2021/12/kritisk-sarbarhet-i-apache-log4j)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

underlig posted:

Log 4j continues
CVE-2022-23307 now have a CVSS rating of 10.
(unfortunately im on phone and this is in swedish https://cert.se/2021/12/kritisk-sarbarhet-i-apache-log4j)

In english -> https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2022-23307

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wait, so this was identified in 2020, but nobody noticed that a vulnerable version of that library was being used in log4j 1.x as well?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jabor posted:

Wait, so this was identified in 2020, but nobody noticed that a vulnerable version of that library was being used in log4j 1.x as well?

Every infosec bod that ignored the existence of log4j is now laser focused on finding new issues with it to flex on other infosec bods. It's going to last for a while.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
SAMBA now has a 9.9 CVE.

https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2021-44142.html

I think pretty much every non-microsoft NAC and NAS is running it.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 1, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Farking Bastage posted:

SAMBA now has a 9.9 CVE.

https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2021-44142.html

I think pretty much every non-microsoft NAC and NAS is running it.

Is vfs_fruit in the default config? At least you need write access of some kind to trip it…

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Subjunctive posted:

Is vfs_fruit in the default config? At least you need write access of some kind to trip it…

This is true. Still the most common attack vector is a users machine being rooted, so YMMV

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

No but it's kinda mandatory for playing nice with fruit devices IIRC, and I'm assuming all kinds of appliances have it enabled.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just as reference, current QTS 5.0 has 4.13.0 so every qnap nas is potentially exposed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Faaaack

Ed: faaaaaaack

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 1, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, it's enabled by default.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sigh

I should have never said that I enjoy doing remediation work

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Heyyyyyy who has two thumbs and explicitly no longer involved in incident response :cool:

This guy :cool:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

I think that option is enabled only if the fruit-module is enabled by "vfs objects = fruit".

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Saukkis posted:

I think that option is enabled only if the fruit-module is enabled by "vfs objects = fruit".

Yeah it's this, it's not turned on out of the box but I bet it is on some appliances

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Jabor posted:

Well hopefully this results in companies being accountable for the libraries they include in their software, instead of getting a free ride.

SlowBloke posted:

Every infosec bod that ignored the existence of log4j is now laser focused on finding new issues with it to flex on other infosec bods. It's going to last for a while.

It's not a new issue with it. It's a very old issue with it. If it takes everyone being laser focused to find a dependency, the problem isn't just going to last for a while. It will last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fart Amplifier posted:

Well hopefully this results in companies being accountable for the libraries they include in their software, instead of getting a free ride.

As much as I'd like that to be the case...I don't think that's how this will play out on the large scale. See, if one company get hit with something, maybe that company learns. If it's very bad and very public, maybe a couple competitor companies also stop and think "wait, what if that had been us?" and fixes some stuff.

But when everyone gets hit, well obviously that was just an unavoidable issue, no need to worry about it. It's not like customers can ditch for another company that didn't get hit, right?