Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 17, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 17, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 28, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 30, 1936

Mopsy October 7, 1937

Up Front November 10, 1944

Dark Laughter October 14, 1950

So It Seems April 12, 1952

Those Were the Days June 26, 1958

Wee Pals April 21, 1966

Dogbert November 23, 1966

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

The Phantom

This shouldn't hide at the bottom of the page

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter October 14, 1950

I appreciate everything about Miss Tillie, including the fact that she can flawlessly eliminate Bootsie.

Ghostlight posted:

The Phantom

I also appreciate this. Wonder when he'll finally take on Mrs. Advice herself: The Big Worth?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Oh, come on. The rug could have had an actual treble clef on a musical staff there (maybe even followed by a few notes of some famous Bach piece, for the musicalolologists to recognize and grin at) so the puns are at least connected to something.

Ghostlight posted:

The Phantom

https://i.imgur.com/8whJtYP.mp4

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"Drive off a 'clef' -- you know, like Bull did."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's later-than-usual Blueberry: Looks like that poster's coming in REAL handy!, or Our new friend realizes that putting on a poncho and calling yourself a bounty hunter will not guarantee you the success of Eastwood's characters in the Dollars trilogy, or Blueberry makes yet ANOTHER enemy for life

As a point... if the representation of Mexican people in this comic is starting to become a bit too suspect, I am ok with spoiling these posts accordingly. Please let me know your opinion.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 1, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ghostlight posted:

The Phantom

:lol:

Uh oh, Mary's losing her meddling powers.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/teaberryblue/status/1488392214124417024

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: moving day (August 22-28, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/31/02

Brenda Starr 2/1/48

Smokey Stover 12/9/45

Everyday Movies 10/19/34

"Well, the fish didn't run this year, but if they did we wouldn't have got the prices anyways. But I never was burdened by riches, and blessed be nothin' say I."

Bonus Ad! What do you mean, your grandfather doesn't live in your grandfather clock?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 1, 2022

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 24, 1949)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

COCK!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

:lol:

Uh oh, Mary's losing her meddling powers.

AU where Mary has trapped people into a psychic universe of her own making where she can give advice and change minds through the power of her mighty persuasion except Wilbur is too strong a force for her to wrap her mind around and she's losing her grip on everyone involved with him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That kid's going to get a raiding axe in his shoulder protecting Val's back. That'll cost him the arm and the infection will kill him as he hallucinates pashing with Aleta.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 - Jason

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I drew panel three from five different angles before settling on the one you got. I don’t ever want to go back to that murky room.

The Cornish must have a thing for expletives that involve body parts/functions on baked goods. So far we've had "Tits on a Cracker", "Cocks on Toast", and today's "Farts on a Biscuit".

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: Great-grandpa, grandfather, father and child... (49/1936)

Christmas is coming!

The title is a reference to a 19th century poem about four generations of women musing on the following day's holiday and their lot in life - child and mother are looking forward to tomorrow, for grandmother it's a day of work like any other, and great-grandmother feels on death's door. Then lightning strikes and kills them all.

What's the title of the poem? That sounds wild.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Christmas is coming!

The title is a reference to a 19th century poem about four generations of women musing on the following day's holiday and their lot in life - child and mother are looking forward to tomorrow, for grandmother it's a day of work like any other, and great-grandmother feels on death's door. Then lightning strikes and kills them all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Good Innvandrer

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I read today's Funky on Son of Stuck Funky and to be honest, I think Dinkle is far more obnoxious than Les. Wallowing in endless self pity over your wife dying twenty years ago is bad, but weapons level smuggery over being a second rate band teacher in some Ohio town is, I think, far worse.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I read today's Funky on Son of Stuck Funky and to be honest, I think Dinkle is far more obnoxious than Les. Wallowing in endless self pity over your wife dying twenty years ago is bad, but weapons level smuggery over being a second rate band teacher in some Ohio town is, I think, far worse.

Batiuk has employed weapons level smuggery over being a totally forgettable cartoonist in some Ohio town for at least 15 years now so I'm not sure he even knows how loving worthless that character is

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

To me the biggest sin is the notion that any reader of the comic would seriously want to follow the escapades of a smug band director. I mean the comic is named Funky Winkerbean, after the character of the same name: why the gently caress are we constantly farting around with this smug asshat and his egocentric ramblings about the Glory Days?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Was Batiuk a band teacher himself or does he just have some sort of fetish for horrible music-related puns?

The funny thing is he might even be losing his audience. My parents, especially my Dad, has been a fan of Funky for years, but when I was with them recently I think they were questioning the point of the story line.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Because the title character is a depressed aging alcoholic owner of the skunkiest pizza joint in America and his adventures are even more dreary than the way I just described him

Also if tomorrow's strip isn't Estelle throwing Mary's lovely advise back on her aging hag face then what even are you doing Karen Moy

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

This is the same "joke" as we've had the past few days. I think I'm gonna stop posting Curtis for the week.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I'm with Spud. I hated bus drills and because of physical disabilities, wasn't actually supposed to jump anyway. Luckily, I don't think drills happened all that often.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days June 26, 1958

Wow, how does he keep up with the forums drama like that.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

To me the biggest sin is the notion that any reader of the comic would seriously want to follow the escapades of a smug band director. I mean the comic is named Funky Winkerbean, after the character of the same name: why the gently caress are we constantly farting around with this smug asshat and his egocentric ramblings about the Glory Days?

were funky or les even in the band when the strip was still about bull cramming them into lockers? some terrible part of me wants to hunt down the collections and start posting funky day one just to see how much he has retconned about everyones personalities. but they are hundreds of dollars on ebay so gently caress that

also don't let the smugness of funky cover his crimes in crankshaft, like how he inserted crankshafts son-in-law into the kent state shootings

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Terry edition)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

were funky or les even in the band when the strip was still about bull cramming them into lockers? some terrible part of me wants to hunt down the collections and start posting funky day one just to see how much he has retconned about everyones personalities. but they are hundreds of dollars on ebay so gently caress that

also don't let the smugness of funky cover his crimes in crankshaft, like how he inserted crankshafts son-in-law into the kent state shootings
I know the band director existed in the high school years. Not sure if Funky or Les were in it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: It's tangentially comics related so why not.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Naughty Pete is one of my favourite comics and I'm glad to see it being posted.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

I assume "long distance" is somehow about the outhouse since there's no other reason for it to be there but beyond that I have no idea what joke he's getting at.

I wonder if Compu-Toon was always incomprehensible.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Now's your chance, kid.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013