Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

rotinaj posted:

The person who posted the story said in the comments that the reason the victim got killed was because she was fantasy racist against dark skinned characters, I’m assuming dark elves/drow, and the guy was mad over that

All the rest of the skeeviness y’all have pointed out is totally gross, but it sounds like there might be no heroes in this story
This sounds a lot like a post rationalization to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

and clearly an effective one

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It being a rationalization is pretty useful if you really want one to be the embodiment of perfection I guess

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If her "character" being very racist is true, assassinating the character is a hilarious way to get rid of it. If they're claiming they're not racist and it's just their character, then well the character is dealt with.

That's a big if though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also is this something the OP had witnessed or is it something the dude who just killed her made up as post-facto justification and she has no recourse to argue otherwise due Geek Social Fallacies?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

The actual stated reason for why Tony had a grudge against Steph because he felt like her character was too manipulative and she failed his secret test of character when Tony's character brought up overthrowing those in power.

Maybe she's a huge ol mega racist IRL, but OP mentioned that she said a racist thing and apologized for it. Let's not ascribe anti-racist intentions to Tony, who was being a dick, plain and simple. Tony has made no mention of the past racist incident.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's still hosed up if the player who was mentoring her her in the game jumped straight to murdering her character alone in a basement rather than you know talking with her and explaining racism is still bad in game.

Even if she's a bad person and deserved it, there is still a really skeevy power structure going on.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
This larp stuff sounds incredibly exhausting. Isn't there enough drama in the real world without adding elves or vampires to it

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Speaking as a dude: armpit hair is indeed gross. You're supposed to trim it, not let it grow wild and gross.

13 page late posting but recently i trimmed a bit of my armpit hair so i could apply a bandage for a tattoo, and gently caress, why wasn't i trimming this poo poo to begin with? way fuckin better

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Im pretending "Tony" refers to tony soprano, its made the larp talk enjoyable.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
like...having characters with quirks like that is part of the fun
now you have to wrangle your own party while talking to different people. it' why "inspiration points" exist and aren't tied to "good" actions.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Uncle Enzo posted:

What are the chances this was the first new female player that Tony had "killed"?

Negative fourteen billion percent.

Kurieg posted:

Within the last two months Wizards of the Coast (The D&D License holders) released a big old thing saying that Drow are no longer always evil, and aren't explicitly black skinned. Which is part of a larger sea change in the company that's tried to decouple stats from your race/species. E.G. you can have an elf that's as strong as the 'average' minotaur but you can't have an elf with a charge attack because elves don't have giant bull horns. The most recent books don't even provide stat bonuses for the new races, instead saying to follow the new more generalized instructions.

This has, of course, pissed off that part of the playerbase.

I believe it's also changing the rules for extant races so that it's a more nebulous "pick a couple stats you're better in" rather than "All elves are graceful and good with bows, +2 to dex, proficiency with bows".

It has the knock-on effect of decoupling power gamers from some of their bullshit, which of course pisses off the kind of person who cares about their ten percent chance to hit with a Scorching Ray.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DemoneeHo posted:

The actual stated reason for why Tony had a grudge against Steph because he felt like her character was too manipulative and she failed his secret test of character when Tony's character brought up overthrowing those in power.

Maybe she's a huge ol mega racist IRL, but OP mentioned that she said a racist thing and apologized for it. Let's not ascribe anti-racist intentions to Tony, who was being a dick, plain and simple. Tony has made no mention of the past racist incident.

Seems to be the best take, the racism issue seems to be irrelevant to the actual issue the OP is trying to litigate. Tony and that moderator did some really skeevy poo poo and should face judgement for that.

B-Rock452 posted:

This larp stuff sounds incredibly exhausting. Isn't there enough drama in the real world without adding elves or vampires to it

Also this, I can't imagine willingly putting up with this much drama in my leisure time.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

hallo spacedog posted:

Wizards of the Coast seems to be actively trying to move away from the idea of irredeemably intrinsically evil monster races in recent releases. They are moving away from a lot of stuff like racial attributes too.

E: f,b

Seems like "they aren't evil, but ethnic cleansing is still the core gameplay loop" is not going to help that much.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rotinaj posted:

The person who posted the story said in the comments that the reason the victim got killed was because she was fantasy racist against dark skinned characters, I’m assuming dark elves/drow, and the guy was mad over that

All the rest of the skeeviness y’all have pointed out is totally gross, but it sounds like there might be no heroes in this story

rotinaj posted:

Do you want to continue saying how this girl obviously did nothing wrong, or do you want to admit that the conclusion most jumped to might not be correct

This really stretched credulity. I have a hard time believing that she offended Tony's character so much in-game he just had to drag her into a secluded garage and kill her character without warning, no choice, no ability to tell her "hey, that's not really cool", or literally any more appropriate way, and then make sure to push the rules to the max to punish her for sharing her experiences with other players.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Yeah, if this woman was being too racist at duregar or some poo poo, the newbie's self-appointed mentor should have called her on it, either in or out of character.

You don't loving handle that by having two guys lure a lone woman into a secret basement late at night, block her exit, and then gang up on her using some pre-planned ruse.

OP excuses a lot of nonsense in terms of no metagame talk, but his own descriptions of the group make it clear that's a loosely enforced standard. And no rule like that should be used against someone reporting unsafe creep-rear end behavior.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

deety posted:

You don't loving handle that by having two guys lure a lone woman into a secret basement late at night, block her exit, and then gang up on her using some pre-planned ruse.

I’m pretty sure I didn’t say this was a good thing, but simply said that everybody sucks in this story

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rotinaj posted:

I’m pretty sure I didn’t say this was a good thing, but simply said that everybody sucks in this story

Maybe if you believe the excuses OP invented once they got some pushback. Even then, it wouldn't justify the way any of these people behaved.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Honestly, I'm not giving LARP OP the benefit of the doubt. They mention a grudge on Tony's part a couple of days ago, but they don't bring up any racism on Steph's part until well after everyone had dogpiled on OP. I think that racism is a serious concern that should have been brought up during the initial post, not something you allude to when you need to give Tony a vague motivation.

Plus their last comment is them claiming they made this post to show how fishy the moderators were acting and showing them reddit's comments to prove the mods wrong. But a few hours earlier, they admitted to being the one who decided to ban Steph. Very contradictory statements. I can't trust them.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Racist or sexist. CHOOSE YOUR FATE.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

I tried Vampire exactly once when I was 15, it felt really dumb I couldn't get into character. That's my LARP story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1fV_d5kNL4&t=43s

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Racism, alleged or otherwise, doesn’t negate or justify being creeped up on like that. She could be the grand wizard of some sort (it is a larp pun? Idk my partner did it back in the 90s), and still, what happened to her is hosed.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
E: hachi machi mobile

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I said there weren’t any heroes in the story, not that there aren’t any villains. I might be too credulous at taking the claim of how she was roleplaying at face value, but I’ve played enough dnd to meet those folk and not like them

I’ve also played enough dnd to meet the sex creeps too, so yes, that part is all reprehensible and unacceptable. I’m unsure why so many folk in this thread think I was arguing otherwise, but I’m not arguing that what the guy did was good.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Slo-Tek posted:

Seems like "they aren't evil, but ethnic cleansing is still the core gameplay loop" is not going to help that much.

It's really not the main game point in a lot of groups anymore, or at least in the ones I play with, because a lot of newer gamers find it just as gross as you do.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Personally I don’t really believe the racism part because I’m not a total loving rube

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

unwantedplatypus posted:

Personally I don’t really believe the racism part because I’m not a total loving rube

We have to take OP at face value, it's not like they repeatedly adjusted the story based on how people reacted to it or anything. :rolleyes:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

It's really not the main game point in a lot of groups anymore, or at least in the ones I play with, because a lot of newer gamers find it just as gross as you do.

everyone loves a gobbo, why would you hurt them!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cerepol posted:

everyone loves a gobbo, why would you hurt them!

Yeah, I was just thinking the last campaign I was in a few months ago involved us working with a cool goblin labor union. Goblins are our friends!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

rotinaj posted:

Not you, but someone up thread did say that an in-game assassination would be a funny way to deal with a racist, which does not fit well with this context.

I feel like some folks just do not get how it could feel for a woman to suddenly realize she'd been boxed in by two men who planned to trap her alone, at night, away from help, even as a game.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Apparently she assumed things about other people based on overheard comments by unreliable sources. Truly, no good apples in this barrel.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

deety posted:

Yeah, if this woman was being too racist at duregar or some poo poo
then she won't get the best armor
https://twitter.com/jrdizon/status/1378488786603114498

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

For real though, as a woman who's played pen and paper long enough that my first character was from that blue box set, at this point I've seen enough bullshit (and enough dudes actively looking the other way during the bullshit) that I'm wary when it comes to gamer guys.

If they want to murder trap me in a basement for being sexist against them, then too bad because I do not play with men I don't know unless they'll be outnumbered by people I already trust. And then we'll just all murder trap them and steal their character's stuff.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ouhei posted:

Seems to be the best take, the racism issue seems to be irrelevant to the actual issue the OP is trying to litigate. Tony and that moderator did some really skeevy poo poo and should face judgement for that.

Plus there's the whole thing about so many women getting the gently caress out of that environment ASAP. There's a whole culture of creepy skeeve going on there, not just one alleged fantasy racist.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

all this talk about racism and tests is missing the point: we know why he killed her

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

- There's some unrelated character drama going on that upsets Steph, and Tony offers "in character" to take her out on a date to "calm her down." Steph says no.

case closed

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i dont want to bring back the egg discussion but can someone please tell me what it means. ive tried googling it for like 10 minutes but everything is literal egg related not what ever this metaphorical egg is.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

snergle posted:

i dont want to bring back the egg discussion but can someone please tell me what it means. ive tried googling it for like 10 minutes but everything is literal egg related not what ever this metaphorical egg is.

Iirc it's shorthand for "a trans person who is not yet quite aware that they are trans".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Neito posted:

Basically there's three kinds of people who go to LARPs IMO:

1) People who let it completely take over their lives and live their entire lives in-character
2) People who are cool and chill and just wanna do some larping
3) Poly and swingers there to hook up with cosplay chicks.

From my experiences, same with Rocky Horror.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Breetai posted:

Iirc it's shorthand for "a trans person who is not yet quite aware that they are trans".

thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

deety posted:

Not you, but someone up thread did say that an in-game assassination would be a funny way to deal with a racist, which does not fit well with this context.

I feel like some folks just do not get how it could feel for a woman to suddenly realize she'd been boxed in by two men who planned to trap her alone, at night, away from help, even as a game.

If a PC was being killed, a GM must have been there too.