Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress yeah I remember these Wendy's tables so vividly with the old timey newspapers imprinted on the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Yeah these guys have a great set design team, Observe and Report was spot on for a 2010s suburban mall

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

moist turtleneck posted:

nice little detail in the flashback is that Judy got rollerblades for christmas

I like how Jesse is supposed to be 14/15 and got a bulky toy robot that would be more suitable for 4-year-old Kelvin

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

OldSenileGuy posted:

would sheltered suburban white kid Jesse know it?

These are probably the least sheltered white kids ever. Judy was singing Easy E and Jesse got away with saying pussy about 5 times.

I didn't catch the detail of the newsprint tables. Love this show so much.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

moist turtleneck posted:

gently caress yeah I remember these Wendy's tables so vividly with the old timey newspapers imprinted on the top

I've been thinking about this restaurant and there's two possibilities: some really amazing set designers or they found a Wendy's that hasn't had the interior re-done in 30 years. That's a very real possibility.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

ChesterJT posted:

These are probably the least sheltered white kids ever. Judy was singing Easy E and Jesse got away with saying pussy about 5 times.

I didn't catch the detail of the newsprint tables. Love this show so much.

Yeah they are the other end of the extreme, no boundaries whatsoever and unlimited resources to spoil them with whatever they want whenever they want

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol I didn't know this little tidbit

https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresting/comments/c3qmbe/i_own_one_of_the_original_wendys_tables_that_were/

supposedly ordered to be destroyed because of some of the colorful articles written on them

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the gemstone kids upbringing is definitely dissonant from my experience with what its like to grow up in a super christian family - my own was pretty secular but all the kids on my street had churchy southern baptist parents and they ranged from "mildly uptight" to "literally washes your mouth with soap for cussin". none of these kids would have been allowed anywhere near rap music, which is why rap got so popular in the 90s among rural and suburban white kids with no connection to black america, but who wanted to rebel against their parents. rock wasn't rebellious enough anymore

if eli and aimee-leigh are sincere in their faith, and they appear to be, then they must just be massively neglectful and distracted from the pressure of running the gemstone ministry as a business

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
All the super churchy kids I knew growing up were either evil or Harmon

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

OldSenileGuy posted:

For as accurate as the aesthetics were, there were a couple lines that were jarring to me as being anachronistic for the early to mid 90s.

I think they were both from Jessie? I think he referred to Eli having “fat stacks” at one point. To be honest I don’t really know when this slang came around, but even if it was around then, would sheltered suburban white kid Jesse know it?

Also either he or Judy said “FYI” at one point, which I’m pretty sure wasn’t being said around that time either.

And there was a third thing but I can’t remember it right now. Thought it was interesting

"fat stacks" was a term used back then. So was "FYI," which I can remember being used quite a lot.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

they didnt have digital cameras in 93 -_-

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

It's not even about the kids being from a religious family, they're just spoiled brats and all spoiled brats are assholes, especially once they're a teenager and can't really be taught how to act anymore

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also it's funny to see little kids cuss like Edi Patterson and Danny McBride

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the gemstone kids upbringing is definitely dissonant from my experience with what its like to grow up in a super christian family - my own was pretty secular but all the kids on my street had churchy southern baptist parents and they ranged from "mildly uptight" to "literally washes your mouth with soap for cussin". none of these kids would have been allowed anywhere near rap music, which is why rap got so popular in the 90s among rural and suburban white kids with no connection to black america, but who wanted to rebel against their parents. rock wasn't rebellious enough anymore

if eli and aimee-leigh are sincere in their faith, and they appear to be, then they must just be massively neglectful and distracted from the pressure of running the gemstone ministry as a business

In religious communities you'll get kids like your described as well as kids like the Gemstones. I've seen it with my own eyes. Interestingly, it was also the rich kids I knew (or at least the families that had the most money) who were able to do whatever they want compared to the others.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

zoux posted:

That piss your pants line knocked me out of my chair

Really enjoying this and Peacemaker being on at the same time

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

zoux posted:

I constantly think about Kid Judy saying "Jesse caught AIDS?" in S1 when Amy-Leigh is announcing her surprise pregnancy. :allears: She just sounds so hopeful!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Peacemaker really surprised me, but also I'm a sucker for James Gunn

lol at that nordic band getting the biggest signal boost 10 years after their song came out

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Probably has to do with starting your own theme park

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

also "finna" is just normal southern poo poo. it's either that or fitna

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

That's a big factor into why rap overtook rock in general as pop music.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

In religious communities you'll get kids like your described as well as kids like the Gemstones. I've seen it with my own eyes. Interestingly, it was also the rich kids I knew (or at least the families that had the most money) who were able to do whatever they want compared to the others.

one of my friends in high school was loaded. her dad was like the wizard of renting scissor lifts. like some kind of good old boy high school dropout genius at renting industrial safety equipment to people. he started his own company, made a shitload of money, retired early and sold his company with a non-compete clause, got bored, the non-compete expired, then he started another scissor lift company and made another huge pile of money before retiring for good

he built a giant house in the woods. his backyard has a seven acre lake, a rain-filled old rock quarry that was his secret swimming hole as a kid. all he does all day long is sit in his huge garage listening to classic rock with his buddies, drinking cheap beer and smoking weed. imagine the stereotype of an appalachian redneck but change nothing about him except bumping his net worth up by several million dollars and you've got this guy

he's got five kids. i went to school with the middle of the five. they didn't really get wealthy as a family until the middle kid was about 10 or so. the oldest kids are very nice, well adjusted, people with professional jobs and stable family lives. the youngest kid is a train wreck who has several children out of wedlock, drug problems, petty criminal record, and so on. it could just be that he was the baby of the family but it also seems like the longer these kids spent their childhood in wealth and luxury, the more jacked up they were as adults

anyway, gemstones is a story about how wealth and comfort are highly corrosive to the soul

Mob posted:

It's not even about the kids being from a religious family, they're just spoiled brats and all spoiled brats are assholes, especially once they're a teenager and can't really be taught how to act anymore

yeah, i would expect more limits around their brattishness simply because religious families tend to be stricter, in my experience. i think the message here is that the gemstone kids were raised in an environment where faith was important, but wealth was more important. i mean this isn't very subtle, it was the whole point of the orgiastic christmas present montage, but judy shouting eazy-e into a toy microphone is a funny way to reinforce that point

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 2, 2022

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

yeah, i would expect more limits around their brattishness simply because religious families tend to be stricter, in my experience. i think the message here is that the gemstone kids were raised in an environment where faith was important, but wealth was more important. i mean this isn't very subtle, it was the whole point of the orgiastic christmas present montage, but judy shouting eazy-e into a toy microphone is a funny way to reinforce that point

You can also see it last season with Judy’s birthday party and her judging their gifts

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

they didnt have digital cameras in 93 -_-

Yes they did. Not 93, but my dad bought a digital camera a couple years after this.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I need a .gif of Baby Bill swaying back and forth while listening to Lil Kelvin play the harpsichord.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/YTcYLFf.gifv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Seeing how good Baby Billy was with the gemstone kids, it makes me wonder why he always abandons his families.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've been thinking about this restaurant and there's two possibilities: some really amazing set designers or they found a Wendy's that hasn't had the interior re-done in 30 years. That's a very real possibility.

In Kelvin's room there's a taped up picture of a muscle man. Which makes sense and explains a lot about him. It's a quick shot behind Judy if someone can get a pic of that.

I basically binged all of season one last weekend and this show is so good. I just want to say that Judy is loving crazy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Seeing how good Baby Billy was with the gemstone kids, it makes me wonder why he always abandons his families.

He seemed pretty good with Harmon too (certainly at least compared to how he treats most people.) I get the impression Harmon's special needs got to him and he just couldn't handle it anymore.

No such excuse for Aunt Tiffany, but maybe Harmon affected him so deeply that he can't bring himself to even risk going through that again.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
It's also very easy to be the fun uncle to your rich nieces and nephews. You're not financially responsible for them.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

OldSenileGuy posted:

For as accurate as the aesthetics were, there were a couple lines that were jarring to me as being anachronistic for the early to mid 90s.

for me it was the henson-esque accountant saying “not a good look” at the beginning of the episode

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A lot of people don’t remember FYE apparently.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

ChesterJT posted:

It's also very easy to be the fun uncle to your rich nieces and nephews. You're not financially responsible for them.

Yeah this is why grandparents love grandkids, you get to spoil them then send them back to your children to punish them(your children) for the crime of having to raise them

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

he's not good with kids at all, he is constantly involving them in his hosed up manipulation games

in season 1 he gets kid jesse drunk to sabotage eli and as soon as he shows up on christmas to drop the news about his divorce he takes the opportunity to insult kelvin, a small child. later in the sleepover he brings up harmon again and tries to poison the kids against their cousin

he's superficially nice but he's got no substance, he abandons his family because he can't give them the wealth which would signify that he is a success (because he is a broke rear end loser) and this makes him feel so rotten he finds it easier to run away from the responsibility rather than sit there visibly being a broke rear end loser. in the first flashback episode billy says he's had three divorces, i would guess that he is the instigator in each of those

the holy poopacy posted:

He seemed pretty good with Harmon too (certainly at least compared to how he treats most people.) I get the impression Harmon's special needs got to him and he just couldn't handle it anymore.

harmon seemed a little suspicious of daddy baby billy to me, but its hard to say. gloria was giving him an eat poo poo stare the entire time, she knows who he is. it takes a while but someone who lets you down with a smile and promises to never do it again, only to do it again, and again, and again... uncle baby billy is just a small time con artist, the kind who has to skip out of town in the dead of night when consequences get too close, and that also means skipping out on his own family

e: actually, the way harmon follows billy and watches him leave the mall - it feels like billy is constantly dipping in and out of harmon's life, and he's used to it, and not very sad to see billy go

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 2, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Oh God, Harmon's the hidden antagonist isn't he.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Pleaseeee be Steven Little

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
dammit the 1911 that Eli has in his car when he gets surprised by Junior is the same gun Glendon had in this episode

Extremely dumb for him not to throw that into the concrete tomb too

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Praise be to he. :allears:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Oh God, Harmon's the hidden antagonist isn't he.

Does the timeline work for Harmon to become one of Kelvin's musclemen? Maybe the especially huge one?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I remember when people thought Harmon was either gonna turn out to be Scotty (the antagonist from S1) or Keefe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

now how do we know he isnt junior