Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Damage control: engage

The damage control is going to be Seal Team 6 dropping Trent Baalke's body in a swamp as Leftwich is annointed the Jacksonville opening.

FizFashizzle posted:

Ross isn’t gonna pay a premium on something he gets for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Amy Pole Her posted:

… what?

Do you just literally post anything that comes to mind?

I am joking.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

You can tell that water carrier insiders on Twitter are hesitant to go in on this, likely awaiting PR releases.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

NFL N/V Sorry folks, I hosed up

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

You can tell that water carrier insiders on Twitter are hesitant to go in on this, likely awaiting PR releases.

Schefter anxiously awaiting mr editors final notes from Miami.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
My sources say that they didn’t do a racism

I mean yes but what did you expect them to say?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The text messages that are gonna come out of this discovery period could prove absolutely amazing

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Sorry man I tried to hire you but just couldn't

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Man I bet John Grudens legal strategy just changed a whole lot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

The text messages that are gonna come out of this discovery period could prove absolutely amazing

The NFL will probably pay Flores off and we'll never see the hogtapes texts

Nov 6, 2002

Schefter: Sources in Miami are telling me Flores actually demanded Dogecoin for each loss.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FizFashizzle posted:

Man I bet John Grudens legal strategy just changed a whole lot.

He's probably gonna be a witness whether he wants to or not.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The NFL will probably pay Flores off and we'll never see the hogtapes texts

I don't think Flores would torpedo his career if he were willing to be bought off

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

I don't think Flores would torpedo his career if he were willing to be bought off

I'd torpedo my career for enough 0s on a check.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though it would be funny if the inside sources said gently caress ueah you got us we broke the Rooney rule

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'd torpedo my career for enough 0s on a check.

And once again we're back to talking about Stephen Ross.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Folks being sued say "Actually, we didn't do that."

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

So which is worse, the fraudulent Rooney rule or an owner trying to throw games? The latter seems pretty huge if true, considering we already know the NFL is racist.

Nov 6, 2002

Trying to throw games is a bombshell.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

latinotwink1997 posted:

So which is worse, the fraudulent Rooney rule or an owner trying to throw games? The latter seems pretty huge if true, considering we already know the NFL is racist.

The latter is more shocking. By an order of magnitude. We already knew the Rooney Rule was a bad joke.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Trying to throw games is a bombshell.

Well, at least confirmation.

Looking at you, eagles.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

How does an owner "push hard" for a candidate but not actually hire them??

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Holistically the Rooney Rule, and racism in hiring.

to the NFL, fans and people involved in gambling throwing games.

Like breaking the line of competition where a team is trying to lose would be absolutely terrible for the league, and would probably lead to Ross losing the team if there is any evidence that can be shown for it.

like I don't give a gently caress about tanking or outcomes or whatever in this dumb sport, I do care about racist hiring practices, which are far worse than who wins or profits from a dumb sports game.

But the institution of the NFL requires that belief.

It's why the NBA did the absolute most to bury the ref gambling scandal.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FizFashizzle posted:

Well, at least confirmation.

Looking at you, eagles.

I remember when the Texans and Niners were playing for the #1 pick and the Texans were in position for the game winning FG when their kicker booted it like 30 yards to the left and short of the end zone

On the other hand, that's not necessarily on purpose

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012

latinotwink1997 posted:

This might lead to a change in the draft order so teams are no longer as incentivized to tank.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Intruder posted:

I remember when the Texans and Niners were playing for the #1 pick and the Texans were in position for the game winning FG when their kicker booted it like 30 yards to the left and short of the end zone

WHAT DID SCOTT NORWOOD KNOW AND WHEN DID HE KNOW IT

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Maybe they should change the Rooney rule so minority candidates must be the first ones interviewed or something? I dunno. It seems like a lovely situation for both a team and the guy being interviewed if you have your guy 100% and need to fly someone in just to waste their time. The Broncos brass are obviously assholes and did it in the worst way but still...

Owners throwing games is a lot worse for the sport. I mean we're always going in as fans on the whole "tank for X" player but if you have knowledge of it before hand and owners are actively telling people in the building to do it you're getting into fixing territory and that's biiiiiig problems.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also we wondered why Flores was fired after two successful seasons. Well the owner wanted him to lose!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Bill once dressed as a homeless man and told Jimmy Haslam to draft Manziel

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
The whole point of the Rooney Rule is to make teams consider hiring minority coaches when they otherwise might not even think about doing it. I don't think its against the spirit of the rule for the team to have a white guy that they knew they wanted to hire due to unconscious bias. The rule assumes that's the case and is trying to help the situation. However, while the team might be interviewing minority candidates they otherwise hadn't have even thought of, they just have to keep an open mind. Even if you're 99% sure the other guy is your guy at least consider the guy as a legitimate option. And the who knows, things might change once you reevaluate. Or maybe you might hire him in the future. What you can't do is just go through the motions because you need to check the Rooney Rule box.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1488629575122923523

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Spoeank posted:

loving lmao

:sickos: Oh my god lol :sickos:

Please let this go to discovery and not just the shield paying off Flores like they did Kaepernick

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What about a one time payment and a mission accomplished banner

That solved sexism

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Deceptive posted:

The whole point of the Rooney Rule is to make teams consider hiring minority coaches when they otherwise might not even think about doing it. I don't think its against the spirit of the rule for the team to have a white guy that they knew they wanted to hire due to unconscious bias. The rule assumes that's the case and is trying to help the situation. However, while the team might be interviewing minority candidates they otherwise hadn't have even thought of, they just have to keep an open mind. Even if you're 99% sure the other guy is your guy at least consider the guy as a legitimate option. And the who knows, things might change once you reevaluate. Or maybe you might hire him in the future. What you can't do is just go through the motions because you need to check the Rooney Rule box.

Ron Rivera kind of referenced this (though he may have just been acting as a company man) when he got the Panthers job. He said that whilst he had been brought in for a few "filling criteria" interviews before he got the Panthers gig he felt that it at least gave him a chance to change the team's mind - even if it was a small chance and gave him valuable experience.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

Seriously, why didn't he wait a week and do this the day before Media Day??

*looks at calendar*

Huh, it's the first day of a certain month in particular.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I love Bill "I hosed up" Belicheck

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
does this even get to discovery? i hope so because that's always fun when nfl owners are involved but violating the rooney rule isn't a matter for the courts and none of the stuff in the tweets really seems like proof of racist hiring practices

especially when compared to, ya know, who the nfl has hired

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

wyoak posted:

does this even get to discovery? i hope so because that's always fun when nfl owners are involved but violating the rooney rule isn't a matter for the courts and none of the stuff in the tweets really seems like proof of racist hiring practices

especially when compared to, ya know, who the nfl has hired

they will settle before it ever gets to discovery.

Because he's making this about the league history of hiring.

They almost certainly have some incredibly damning emails about the rooney rule considering how some owners have openly talked about it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kaepernick's blackballing, the Gruden emails, and the league being wildly racist about concussions are all mentioned in the lawsuit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I cannot fathom the league letting this go far because we all know they do not want e-mails being released (unless it's against a coach the Commissioner has a personal grudge against).