Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Are there any places in the US that sell embossed plastic sheets with cobblestones/bricks/rocks?

idk but if you ever learn about it, please post about it in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011
Ork boy squad completed with these final two dudes. Super satisfying seeing these guys come to life even with any shortcomings.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Tried out a different colour scheme on my Vanquisher. The green is Angel Green from Army Painter, and it really did not want to go on top of Citadel's Runelord Brass. I can see it's a bit messy in a few spots but overall I like how it turned out.

I really like this colour combo.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Night Danger Moose posted:

Tried out a different colour scheme on my Vanquisher. The green is Angel Green from Army Painter, and it really did not want to go on top of Citadel's Runelord Brass. I can see it's a bit messy in a few spots but overall I like how it turned out.

Putting greenboy beside blueboy is really not fair to the perfectly fine paint job on the original Vanquisher.

I really really like the desaturated armour colour.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Are there any places in the US that sell embossed plastic sheets with cobblestones/bricks/rocks?

I've seen brick plasticard at a local model railroad shop.

I think Plastruct was the brand?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That’s actually the part I’m kind of nervous about, I don’t want to accidentally add a weapon that looks cool, but is trash. I figure I’ll read the codex a little first and see what others have as their configurations.

People who don’t let you say “this weapon is actually this” especially when starting out, are not your friends. Plus, once you’ve painted more you won’t think twice about cruelly ripping off an arm to add a new one, honest!

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

lenoon posted:

People who don’t let you say “this weapon is actually this” especially when starting out, are not your friends. Plus, once you’ve painted more you won’t think twice about cruelly ripping off an arm to add a new one, honest!

Ok this is something that I have also been concerned with. Being completely new to the hobby this is reassuring info. I guess I suspected as much but I'm not over the hump of "you will mess these up, then you will buy more and mess those up less".

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chippocrates posted:

I've had a bit of an odd issue with my airbrush.

I tend to prime black with either a rattlecan (if metal) or vallejo surface primer or molotow, then zenithal with liquitex white ink.

I tend to run the ink straight out of the bottle and have done so with no issues before.

Recently I've had issues with it "beading" on the model. If I drop the PSI below about 12-14 it stops spraying. If I thin it down it just ends up being pushed into the recesses.

I've stripped the airbrush down to pretty clean

Is this just a dodgy pot of ink or is there something else?

Liquitex and DR make a watercolor pigment that comes in a similar bottle, if you spray that it just comes out like colored water and beads up and runs everywhere. I made that mistake once.
Make sure your bottle says acrylic ink and not watercolor ink.
I typically run ink straight from the bottle but you can easily stretch it by mixing it with airbrush medium. It also mixes into your normal mini paints to thin while providing very saturated colors.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Spanish Manlove posted:

idk but if you ever learn about it, please post about it in the thread.

Floppychop posted:

I've seen brick plasticard at a local model railroad shop.

I think Plastruct was the brand?

i ordered some from here, let's see how it turns out

https://www.lebhobbies.com/pattern-sheets-c-346_356_368.html

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lenoon posted:

Thank you for that info. I saw an FAQ on something on games workshop strongly discouraging proxy stuff. I mean I totally get why they would say that, but I wasn’t sure how large that attitude is among players

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Most players don't give a poo poo as long as you say before and are consistent. "this unit has all flamer pistols except for that one which has a plasma pistol" "ok"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you're leaning real hard into proxies, it also helps to add a sticky note to the unit.

We did this all the time in whfb and it was invaluable for remembering unmodelled upgrades.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sticky note on the units seems like a very reasonable request for dealing with proxies and I’d never have an issue with that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Thank you for that info. I saw an FAQ on something on games workshop strongly discouraging proxy stuff. I mean I totally get why they would say that, but I wasn’t sure how large that attitude is among players

Modelling proper loadouts usually matters more in a tournament situation where you're on your 3rd 2 hour game and your brain can't keep track of what fiddly gun your opponent has and the upside of subtly cheating is Very High.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Eej posted:

Modelling proper loadouts usually matters more in a tournament situation where you're on your 3rd 2 hour game and your brain can't keep track of what fiddly gun your opponent has and the upside of subtly cheating is Very High.

Exactly this. If you’re starting out, playing casual or narrative play or even a pickup game of matched play against 99.99% of people in this hobby the usual dialogue is something like:

These guys all have bolters, this flamer guy though has a plasma gun

Cool ok, man that flamer guy looks great mind if I have a closer look?

Edit: I’d even go further to say for new painters and modellers, go for whatever the gently caress you want. Bolt guns akimbo? Whoops all melta? Tanks with the biggest and therefore coolest looking gun? loving go for it. The coolest and best but of this hobby is the bugfuck nuts poo poo people come up with when they do what they think is coolest.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 1, 2022

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Most players don't give a poo poo as long as you say before and are consistent. "this unit has all flamer pistols except for that one which has a plasma pistol" "ok"

Most real players don't give a poo poo, but there's a lot of social media jackasses who act like GW is going to come to your house and smash all your proxy models because that type of talk generates clicks. I constantly see this topic come up in 3d printing circles, people are afraid nobody will play with them because they don't use official GW minis.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Except for some tweaks in the canopy, the cockpit for my Thunderhawk is complete. Next it'll be primed, painted and glued into the fuselage.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bucnasti posted:

Most real players don't give a poo poo, but there's a lot of social media jackasses who act like GW is going to come to your house and smash all your proxy models because that type of talk generates clicks. I constantly see this topic come up in 3d printing circles, people are afraid nobody will play with them because they don't use official GW minis.

Also: https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/shmz1l/lvo_report_51_with_pure_valorous_heart_sisters/

This guy went 5-1 at LVO (biggest US tourney) with his Sisters army that had 2 GW models in the whole thing and was even asked to be on stream for his first round despite it all.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The French Army posted:

Except for some tweaks in the canopy, the cockpit for my Thunderhawk is complete. Next it'll be primed, painted and glued into the fuselage.

Goddamn, that is epic.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

The French Army posted:

Such great work! What are you using for the rivets?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

First time painting skin! Still a work in progress.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 22, 2022

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Dr Intergalactic posted:

"you will mess these up, then you will buy more and mess those up less".

Thread title?

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

ape!!! posted:

Such great work! What are you using for the rivets?

Those are the insides of a Brita water filter. I drilled a small divot in the hull, added a tiny dab of super glue and stuck them in.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

Beffer posted:

Thread title?

I'm flattered. It's for sure headcanon now though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Here's a Frostgrave apprentice and wizard, both are all done aside from the bases. These guys were primed via airbrush with a gray primer (Ammo by Mig's One Shot), then I tried airbrushing a zenithal highlight with with white ink. Dunno how well that actually turned out, but I sprayed them with a satin varnish and then applied (mostly) Contrast paints. Pretty happy with how they came out. :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beffer posted:

Thread title?

I tried, but it cut off the last word due to length limitations.

I feel like I should leave it though...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished up my first Heavy Intercessor this evening:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

When you realize you were supposed to pick up the kids 2 hours ago

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Here are your messages:

You have 30 minutes to pick up your kids

You have 10 minutes.

Your kids are now dead.

Your dead kids have been turned into biomass.

You have 30 minutes to pick up your biomass.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Well sorry about your kids and all, but that guy looks amazing. Great work.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
X-posting my squadron for AI:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I like how the lead one has special markings :shobon:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I really like the weathering on them! They look great.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

Leperflesh posted:

I tried, but it cut off the last word due to length limitations.

I feel like I should leave it though...

yeah it is probably more accurate anyway

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
As has been said, proxies are normally fine.

My only issue is when it’s ‘ok flamers are plasma, these 2 chainswords are powerfists, except that one with the broken handle, that’s actually just a combat weapon, and heavy bolters in the elite squads are multi melters, except the unpainted squad where they’re lascannons’

Like. 1 or 2 I think is fine, it’s when the whole army isn’t what it looks like that it gets annoying, having to ask over and over is eh

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Or, if you’re going to change poo poo up constantly, magnets. :science:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
How do you all hold your rhino sized vehicles while painting them? I'm discovering to some horror that a), my fingers are rubbing paint off, and 2) I'm havingsome trouble getting an even coat and edge highlighting on this thing. I can see my brush strokes and water marks, which makes me think that my paint consistency is too low.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

How do you all hold your rhino sized vehicles while painting them? I'm discovering to some horror that a), my fingers are rubbing paint off, and 2) I'm havingsome trouble getting an even coat and edge highlighting on this thing. I can see my brush strokes and water marks, which makes me think that my paint consistency is too low.

I use a big blob of sticky tac to attach my vehicles to a length of PVC pipe for painting.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I've only painted a wave serpent in terms of big things these days but I put it on a piece of paper towel to spin it around on my desk and for some stuff I also wear a nitrile glove so I can gently hold the model without having my skin oils getting on the model, which is I assume the main way paint gets rubbed off.

Painting big expanses of vehicles is hard with a brush so really just try doing less thin paint and see how it goes. Also I use a much bigger brush on vehicles so I have less strokes required.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I wear gloves, nitrile usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks, sounds like I need to look into some nitrile gloves