Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
People wiping to Cruise Chaser / propeller winds is common even with normal sync rules in normal raids roulette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Whenever they do a moogle tomestone event that includes the CT raids, you'll see tons of cutscene watchers the first few days and may get to experience some mechanics that are usually skipped that way too

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

they should make Dun Scaith reward moogle tomestones next time

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

they should make Dun Scaith reward moogle tomestones next time

Only if they add Deathgaze as a mount only available via moogle tomestones.

I'd also accept Deathgaze chocobo barding, just because exclusive barding would be novel.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

orcane posted:

People wiping to Cruise Chaser / propeller winds is common even with normal sync rules in normal raids roulette.

This despite me telling them to line of sight it when I get A11, every time.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Postmoogle barding from Valentione's this year! :kimchi:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2022/Valentiones_Day/wcm6ffa3hm

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

So I tried my hand at a viking bunny and while I love the result I can't work out how annoyed I'll be at not being able to wear hats.

just mod the hats onto viera/hrothgar imo

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

We're getting failsister again? Wonder if yellow-minion and blue-minion shows up too or if they got demoted.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress yes more Postmoogle content, LOVE the Postmoogle

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
That barding is amazing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Consummate Professional posted:

Had a guy in my eureka group tonight that kept saying he was gonna report people in the instance pulling too early. But almost every fate waited 3-4 minutes to start???

I did a dungeon run a few days ago with a guy who just tried to start fights the whole way. Like the moment we all zoned in he was like "Any SJWs?" and then before every third pull or so he'd be like "13th amendment?" "Anita Sarkeesian?" "Who hates Joe Rogan?" No one took any of the bait and at the end of the run he said "gently caress you woke soyboys, gamers rise up" and then weirdly, gave me a commendation. I'm still wondering if there's a way I can refuse them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I live in Canada, which one's the 13th am-

...Ahh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

theironjef posted:

I did a dungeon run a few days ago with a guy who just tried to start fights the whole way. Like the moment we all zoned in he was like "Any SJWs?" and then before every third pull or so he'd be like "13th amendment?" "Anita Sarkeesian?" "Who hates Joe Rogan?" No one took any of the bait and at the end of the run he said "gently caress you woke soyboys, gamers rise up" and then weirdly, gave me a commendation. I'm still wondering if there's a way I can refuse them.

Sounds like a slam dunk for GM intervention.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, if my RNG was better this week and I had won 1 boots, 1 acc upgrade and 1 armour upgrade I could have been on track to get BIS next week.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

poo poo, Zepla's fleeing Ukraine. I didn't know she was from there.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
From America, been living there for a few years. She posted a vid a few days ago explaining how she was prepping her pets to flee if she needed

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's done, I'm free. I still need to gear up, but gently caress it, I'm free!!

https://twitter.com/King_of_Solomon/status/1488611213164650497

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Fisher :colbert:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Does it get less RNG heavy as time goes on? Because right now I really dislike that job, and the discussion about the class from the other day doesn't help.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Not really, but just level it via ocean fishing which is fun and chill.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I do sometimes get mad at Fisher and flip off my screen. Then I chill out and listen to the reels going out

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

King of Solomon posted:

Does it get less RNG heavy as time goes on? Because right now I really dislike that job, and the discussion about the class from the other day doesn't help.

Just power level it via Levequests. I brought Fisher from 50 to 80 in a couple hours by just buying stuff off the market board.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Black Stones posted:

Just power level it via Levequests. I brought Fisher from 50 to 80 in a couple hours by just buying stuff off the market board.

I figured I might just buy the daily GC turn-in and do that, if I was ever gonna level FSH. Which I'm just not incentivized to do in any way, haha.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

King of Solomon posted:

I figured I might just buy the daily GC turn-in and do that, if I was ever gonna level FSH. Which I'm just not incentivized to do in any way, haha.

At the very least, give ocean fishing a try. It's basically an instanced duty where you and up to 23 other players try to catch as many fish as possible across three zones for about 21 minutes (6.5 minutes per zone; the clock says 7 minutes, but it's a filthy liar since you can't cast your line during the last 30 seconds in a zone). You're given a score at the end based on how well you did, and earn experience and gatherer's scrip for participating. Also, if you score at least 10,000 points during a voyage, you earn an achievement that gives you a flying shark mount.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

W.T. Fits posted:

At the very least, give ocean fishing a try. It's basically an instanced duty where you and up to 23 other players try to catch as many fish as possible across three zones for about 21 minutes (6.5 minutes per zone; the clock says 7 minutes, but it's a filthy liar since you can't cast your line during the last 30 seconds in a zone). You're given a score at the end based on how well you did, and earn experience and gatherer's scrip for participating. Also, if you score at least 10,000 points during a voyage, you earn an achievement that gives you a flying shark mount.

Yeah I am the biggest fsh hater on the planet and even I think ocean fishing is a fun as heck time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There's no reason to use leves on Fisher. Both ocean fishing and normal rear end fishing will get you XP ludicrously fast, especially after you get the patience skills.

The only time to be mad at fishing is if you're trying to catch something specific and it refuses to show.

E: like when I went to catch a Magic Bucket for the second time.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

I leveled FSH from 30 to 90 in a couple play sessions with a combo of levequests (buying the turn ins), crystarium/studium/custom request deliveries, and like one trip of ocean fishing. The worst part were finishing the class questline because that required actual fishing.

Probably should've did more ocean fishing, did it at like 84/85 and shot up to 86/87 from the one trip, and the conversations on the boat from other players were fun.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

King of Solomon posted:

There's Crystalline Mean and Studium quests specifically for Fisher and you can't unlock the capstone quests for either without doing the Fisher quests. The Studium storyline ends up being pretty interesting with its connection to the happenings in the MSQ as well.

Ocean fishing has a shark minion at 5000 points and a shark mount at 10000 points if you collect those.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

FSH is mega chill and then you start trying to fill in holes in your fishing guide and it just becomes Kinda Chill

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

iPodschun posted:

There's Crystalline Mean and Studium quests specifically for Fisher and you can't unlock the capstone quests for either without doing the Fisher quests. The Studium storyline ends up being pretty interesting with its connection to the happenings in the MSQ as well.

Ocean fishing has a shark minion at 5000 points and a shark mount at 10000 points if you collect those.

If I decided to start leveling FSH, it would be explicitly to do job quests and story deliveries, so that's not a concern.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

you can get fisher to max in like two days with ocean fishing, it owns

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are there any good level 90 leves for making money like coffee biscuits were?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
tsai tea if you have a retainer on lemonettes is a decent return, but nothing will match coffee biscuits.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I finally managed to catch the Nepto Dragon the other day. No this is not a cry for help.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

The thing that absolutely rules about fishing is that you can do rod fishing entirely by the audio queues. Turn off everything but Sound Effects, turn them up loud, put on some Netflix (with the volumes set right so you can clearly hear the fishing queues over whatever you're watching) or a game you can pause easily, or even do some WFH, and you can fish to your heart's content with minimal attention paid.

I leveled FSH 1-70 in Stormblood and made a fortune doing it and spent, at most, a tenth of the time I was fishing actually paying attention to the game. It'd be even better if I could figure out a way to get commands to FF14 without having to alt tab (like, I'd love to be able to hit ctrl+shift+Z to cast and ctrl+shift+X to hook without having the game up - could you do that TOS legally with autohotkey? I think it's within the spirit of "don't bot" because it's one action per button press, but idk), but even now I mostly just know what the different catches sound like and can fish by ear by alt tabbing quickly and hitting the appropriate key to hook or double hook and whatnot. The only problem with this method is that monster and mount noises are included in this, so if you crank your SFX super high and someone starts fighting something on top of you, it's drat loud.

And as far as RNG, it never completely goes away but you gain increasingly powerful tools to tip the scales in your favor. You can force repeat-catches of fish, you can force fish off the catch table, and appropriate selection of bait, time, and weather can also tip the scales. Personally I just worry about bait and mostly stick to fish you can catch regardless of weather and time of day, or at most will go for fish that can be caught during common time/weather combos. I loathe the idea of going after fish that you can catch for ten minutes of every real life day, but I also know for a fact there are people who love chasing those fish, and more power to them. Fishing is genuinely a highly varied gathering class and you can semi-afk ear fish, actively chase uncommon weather combos for big money catch windows, pursue wild completionist stuff with ten minutes per month catch windows, do QTE spearfishing (it's really fun!), or go Fish Raiding in the ocean.

For an example of manipulating the RNG, one of my favorite moneymakering fish is a Medium Tug (!!) fish, in a pool where there's two Light Tug (!) and two Medium Tug fish that can be caught there. The medium tug I don't want is far more common, but with Surface Slap you can drive a fish off the catch table until you catch a fish, and with Identical Cast you can guarantee you'll hook the same fish a second time. So I can fish until I get the lovely medium tug, reel that sucker in, Surface Slap it off the catch table, then fish by ear while I do other stuff until I get another Medium Tug (if you don't Hook the light tugs, your Surface Slap stays in effect and the lovely medium tug fish stays gone, so the next Medium Tug I get is 100% guaranteed to be my moneymaker fish), pop Triple Hook to catch 3x money fish, then hit Identical Cast and wait until I get GP back, cast my line again and I'm guaranteed to get another money fish on the line and can safely Triple Hook it as well. Like, yes, technically I'm still at the whims of RNG if the game decides to throw me an endless string of light tug hooks, but I don't really mind because I'm fishing for volume of fish caught and it's chill enough that I'm pretty content to just fish for a while until I get what I want. And I think it's really fun to do my research and figure out how to wrangle RNG better to suit my needs.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there any good level 90 leves for making money like coffee biscuits were?
Either the Tsai mentioned above or grade 5 tinctures of mind. No crafted intermediates, but they do take 2 moonlight aethersand which can only be obtained via aetherial reduction or 100 purple gatherer scrip and Berkanan sap (farmed, hunting venture, or 2 gemstones).

Selane
May 19, 2006

Magres posted:

For an example of manipulating the RNG, one of my favorite moneymakering fish is a Medium Tug (!!) fish, in a pool where there's two Light Tug (!) and two Medium Tug fish that can be caught there. The medium tug I don't want is far more common, but with Surface Slap you can drive a fish off the catch table until you catch a fish, and with Identical Cast you can guarantee you'll hook the same fish a second time. So I can fish until I get the lovely medium tug, reel that sucker in, Surface Slap it off the catch table, then fish by ear while I do other stuff until I get another Medium Tug (if you don't Hook the light tugs, your Surface Slap stays in effect and the lovely medium tug fish stays gone, so the next Medium Tug I get is 100% guaranteed to be my moneymaker fish), pop Triple Hook to catch 3x money fish, then hit Identical Cast and wait until I get GP back, cast my line again and I'm guaranteed to get another money fish on the line and can safely Triple Hook it as well. Like, yes, technically I'm still at the whims of RNG if the game decides to throw me an endless string of light tug hooks, but I don't really mind because I'm fishing for volume of fish caught and it's chill enough that I'm pretty content to just fish for a while until I get what I want. And I think it's really fun to do my research and figure out how to wrangle RNG better to suit my needs.
You can game the system with spearfishing as well, like if you need certain fish for a levequest you can just poke stuff and note what it looks like/how it behaves until you find the thing you need. And if it was for instance a medium fish that moves quickly, you can just ignore all the small and fatass fish, as well as the slow medium fish and get the one you need 100% of the time(and doing it with spear fishing doesn't even require GP). As was mentioned, fishing is all about using common sense to cut through the rng and get good returns.

On a side note fishing doesn't really require leves or even ocean fishing to level(though ocean fishing is fun)because it's so easy to level while you're doing other stuff. I'm 84 on my highest class now and my fishing is 87 or something, and it hit 80 while I was near the beginning of Stormblood. All I did to level it was if I saw a body of water, just check if it's already logged, if not fish for a few minutes. Grab a bunch of first time catch and record catch XP bonuses, then when you don't see as many XP bonuses, just stop and go back to whatever you were doing. That's pretty much it. I have done like 2 fishing leves and one Ocean Fishing total and my fisher level has always been well beyond my main class's level. Also I only started leveling gatherers once I got to Heavensward so I went from 1-60+ in the time it took me to play through Heavensward. If you're already max level I guess you have to go a bit more out of your way for it, but gathering classes are soooo easy to level with almost no effort as long as you do it as you're playing though the MSQ.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also leveling fishing by just fishing up a ton of levequest fish then selling them instead of turning them in is a really good way to make pretty decent money and level your fishing too, I did it for 80-90 and made something like 10 million gil selling fish.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I must be weird cuz eureka was some of the most fun I've had in this game currently playing an alt just so I can do it all again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Magres posted:

The thing that absolutely rules about fishing is that you can do rod fishing entirely by the audio queues. Turn off everything but Sound Effects, turn them up loud, put on some Netflix (with the volumes set right so you can clearly hear the fishing queues over whatever you're watching) or a game you can pause easily, or even do some WFH, and you can fish to your heart's content with minimal attention paid.

I leveled FSH 1-70 in Stormblood and made a fortune doing it and spent, at most, a tenth of the time I was fishing actually paying attention to the game. It'd be even better if I could figure out a way to get commands to FF14 without having to alt tab (like, I'd love to be able to hit ctrl+shift+Z to cast and ctrl+shift+X to hook without having the game up - could you do that TOS legally with autohotkey? I think it's within the spirit of "don't bot" because it's one action per button press, but idk), but even now I mostly just know what the different catches sound like and can fish by ear by alt tabbing quickly and hitting the appropriate key to hook or double hook and whatnot. The only problem with this method is that monster and mount noises are included in this, so if you crank your SFX super high and someone starts fighting something on top of you, it's drat loud.

If you have a controller, map a crosshotbar for FSH and turn on the option to have the game accept controller input even when the window is inactive:

You can also fish by force feedback as the game rumbles your controller when you get a bite.