Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I was trying to buy my God daughter some Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends toys for her birthday and every Target I've been to has been completely cleaned out. I'm assuming this is probably do to the success of No Way Home because on Amazon all the prices seem to have doubled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Combine that with the supply chain clusterfucks and I'm not surprised.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

D34THROW posted:

Though I find old-school Thomas creepy at times, it is endearing. All of our kids have gone through an insanely passionate phase about Thomas, and #2 still has a Thomas stuffie on his bed. Something about the series that sticks with me is absolutely dumb, but it's how at some point Henry needed special coal (in the original model series) and then decades later Gordon made a reference to it. "Don't tell me Henry needs special coal again!"

Percy is annoyingly optimistic. James and Gordon are insufferably conceited. Thomas is adorably naive. I love Hiro and Stephen and (through King of the Railway) the new engines. I even love how that thing around the front of Emily's boiler looks like hair.

No, I don't use my kids as an excuse to watch Thomas, why do you ask? :v:

That's why (apart from growing up) I stopped watching after the first season with Alec Baldwin narrating. They ran out of Awdry stories to adapt and didn't do anything interesting with their TV stories so they just began recycling stuff despite the overall solid continuity from season 1-5.

Besides Henry is the best engine on the line. He's got the best theme song, the best shape, and the best episodes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JT Smiley posted:

I was trying to buy my God daughter some Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends toys for her birthday and every Target I've been to has been completely cleaned out. I'm assuming this is probably do to the success of No Way Home because on Amazon all the prices seem to have doubled.
You know what you must do now: buy her only the finest bootleg spider merch

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The United States posted:

You know what you must do now: buy her only the finest bootleg spider merch

This is clearly based on Toei's Spiderman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTAOPON4jmM

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Arc Hammer posted:

That's why (apart from growing up) I stopped watching after the first season with Alec Baldwin narrating. They ran out of Awdry stories to adapt and didn't do anything interesting with their TV stories so they just began recycling stuff despite the overall solid continuity from season 1-5.

Besides Henry is the best engine on the line. He's got the best theme song, the best shape, and the best episodes.

And such a magnificent coat of paint as well! He should really stay somewhere to keep it intact.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pyroi posted:

And such a magnificent coat of paint as well! He should really stay somewhere to keep it intact.

For the love of God, Montresor Topham!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sir Topham Hat is a significantly better name than The Fat Controller.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He also gets a lot of good lines from Ringo and Carlin. My doctor has forbidden me to push.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i never saw thomas the tank or barney as a kid

muppet babies, little bear, the busy world of richard scarry were more my jams :rock:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot came up earlier, and I remember where I'd heard about that earlier. Rusty as mentioned is a little bit in a mental Uncanny Valley, acting not quite sentient, but his prototype 'Earl' is actually even worse. For some reason they put him in a fully armed body (and in some ways he's better in a fight than Rusty) before working out the kinks of the AI, and it turns out he's basically near-unusable because he's dangerously literal; once given an order, his first and only priority will be to carry it out to the letter, usually in a literal interpretation, and it takes priority over subsequent orders, leading to him being incapable of adapting to an evolving situation, and won't stop trying to carry out orders until he completes them or is shut down.

My Life As A Teenage Robot does something a bit similar, with Jenny's immediate prototype 'sister' being actually larger and stronger than she is, but having a dangerously black-and-white view of the world and inability to see things from a human perspective- dangerous flaws for being a robot superhero, since she thinks children breaking a pinata are vandals who need to be stopped. I do like the idea that things like free will, empathy and sentience in general are safety features. See also the paperclip maximiser scenario.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Oh I remember Earl, Rusty had to team up with him in an episode and accidentally factor resetted him with the paradox order "hide in a corner" in a round room.

(surely where the wall meets the floor or ceiling counts as a corner)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You'd think they'd have figured that out way earlier in testing, but I bet having some nepotism job suit and/or general breathing down your neck and demanding RESULTS will do that.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My dad didn't let me watch Sesame Street because of Bert and Ernie :bahgawd: So I was a Barney/Gumby/Frank Cappelli kid for a good portion of my younger years. Eventually got into Nick Jr. back when Allegra's Window was still on (I still remember the blue zutabagas), Big Comfy Couch was my loving jam for a while.

I really, really love the streaming services that let me at least introduce my kids to the shows I used to love. We've watched Out of the Box all the way through three or four times.

I just wish they had Lazy Town somewhere so my kids could experience an acid trip without being on acid.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

D34THROW posted:

I just wish they had Lazy Town somewhere so my kids could experience an acid trip without being on acid.

Just show them the pink elephants scene from Dumbo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently SWAT Kats is getting a reboot:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/swat-kats-reboot-in-the-works/

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah sure why not, next up they can bring back Road Rovers or some poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdyJoJz4iI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0IQBWWabuU

Not sure why giving a SWAT team an F-35 is a solution to anything, but it can't be worse than Paw Patrol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ I know Hollywood is creatively bankrupt and has been for a long time but motherfucking Swat Kats? They've dug too greedily and too deep in the Mines of Nostalgia.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yeah sure why not, next up they can bring back Road Rovers or some poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdyJoJz4iI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0IQBWWabuU

Not sure why giving a SWAT team an F-35 is a solution to anything, but it can't be worse than Paw Patrol

In spite of the name they aren't actually a SWAT team or even part of the police at all, they're vigilantes, the name is presumably just because it sounds cool

Also SWAT KATS is honestly one of the better choices among 90's cartoons to revive, as the original holds up rather well

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

About ten years past the right moment for this but sure, why not.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

drrockso20 posted:

In spite of the name they aren't actually a SWAT team or even part of the police at all, they're vigilantes, the name is presumably just because it sounds cool

Also SWAT KATS is honestly one of the better choices among 90's cartoons to revive, as the original holds up rather well
Not sure why giving a team of vigilantes an F-35 is a solution to anything, but I guess it's not inherently more ridiculous than Alfred the butler doing all the maintenance and repair and refueling on a custom bat-shaped plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6QD-VU-Rw4

"Vigilante Military Violence" is a hilarious term and I am learning so much

Ah they used to be SWAT(?) and got fired but they love flying and blowing people up so much they started doing it for free lol

Wait why do the cops have an air force? Why would you have an air strip on top of a building? WHY WOULD YOU HAVE ARMED FIGHTER PLANES REGULARLY FLYING SORTIES AROUND A CITY? THAT'S JUST BEGGING FOR A 9/11 EVERY WEEK!

readingatwork posted:

About ten years past the right moment for this but sure, why not.
Looking at the 1993 date on that video, it will be 30 years since it originally aired, which is a perfect amount of time to bring something back or reboot it

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 2, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Look it was cool at the time okay

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Electric Phantasm posted:

Look it was cool at the time okay

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Wait why do the cops have an air force? Why would you have an air strip on top of a building? WHY WOULD YOU HAVE ARMED FIGHTER PLANES REGULARLY FLYING SORTIES AROUND A CITY? THAT'S JUST BEGGING FOR A 9/11 EVERY WEEK!

Because it was an action cartoon for children.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hasn't Swat Kats had a reboot planned for like a decade at this point

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There was a Kickstarter for a continuation of the original, iirc, and it failed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

There was a Kickstarter for a continuation of the original, iirc, and it failed.

The upcoming reboot is apparently by the same people, guess they finally managed to get this off the ground somehow

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah the Toy Galaxy video covers it, I assume this is just the result of their Kickstarter getting attention and them scraping up enough cash outside of Kickstarter to begin production

Still, you know what 1993-1994 toy commercial with a rockin' theme song should get a revival? That's riiiiiiiight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__m8Q-zRdEA

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
God drat Kid Cosmic stuck the hell out of that landing. Go watch it!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Having a drat good theme song was the reason why Muteking got a revival, why the hell not?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yeah the Toy Galaxy video covers it, I assume this is just the result of their Kickstarter getting attention and them scraping up enough cash outside of Kickstarter to begin production

Still, you know what 1993-1994 toy commercial with a rockin' theme song should get a revival? That's riiiiiiiight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__m8Q-zRdEA

I mind that being not too bad, all in.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/CrackMcCraigen/status/1489340657944580097

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I wonder why he thought no one would greenlight it. Like, sure networks have never been big on serialization in general over the years but '09 is only a few years after Avatar was a huge hit at Nick and CN was still running a lot of serialized stuff... granted, most were anime like Naruto and One Piece, but you still had the various Ben 10s in there. My point is serialized wasn't just some death sentence. And it's not like he was some upstart trying to get his foot in the door, he made the freakin' Powerpuff Girls!

...Now if he'd drawn that just a little later in 2010, and he'd just saw Sym-Bionic Titan fall flat on its rear end then yeah, I suppose he could've fairly taken that as a sign that serialization was dead.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 5, 2022

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I've seen of Animation Twitter, the one thing execs love more than anything else is Not Greenlighting Things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cartoon Network was running a lot of weird and different, maybe even experimental stuff in 2009, but not particularly serialized. That was also around the time when they went on their whole weird obsession with live action. They didn't really open the floodgates until after the runaway success of Adventure Time and Regular Show.

Nickelodeon had just finished Avatar, but it had a weird relation with it. They really didn't seem to get how to deal with serialized content. They really didn't seem to want to rerun any of the later seasons of Avatar, and this was before the rise of (legal) streaming, so there wasn't really a good way to catch up if you missed the original airtime. This was also the long period where Nickelodeon seemed like it really wanted to ditch 2D animation and go entirely with CGI, but eventually their CGI studio went bust, and I'm not really sure what Nickelodeon's strategy as a channel has been from then to now other than keeping Spongebob going indefinitely.

The Disney Channel I guess was also still in a fairly unambitious mood around that time, and it wouldn't really start pushing boundaries until Gravity Falls hit, and I think that was still riding off some residual influence from the success of Adventure Time.

I dunno what other individual channels were doing much animation-wise.

YggiDee posted:

From what I've seen of Animation Twitter, the one thing execs love more than anything else is Not Greenlighting Things.

To be fair, there's a whole lot of ideas for shows out there, and only limited funds for greenlighting. At least it's good that there are lots of ideas at least being seen and considered.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just watched Kid Cosmic Season 2 and 3. I don't know what opinion to have but I will say the first season was the best.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I didn't expect Kid Cosmic season 3 this soon, feels like the last one was only a few months ago

But it's Covid times so time is a fake concept, I guess

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Like, I enjoyed a lot of it but some of it could have used a second draft. I expect a lot of water cooler moments to come to me but I had fun.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

I didn't expect Kid Cosmic season 3 this soon, feels like the last one was only a few months ago

But it's Covid times so time is a fake concept, I guess

It wouldn't shock me if the whole show was made at the same time as one big block and was then split up into "seasons" after the fact. Netflix likes to do that with it's animated properties a lot since an episode of a cartoon takes like 2 years to make.

Covok posted:

I just watched Kid Cosmic Season 2 and 3. I don't know what opinion to have but I will say the first season was the best.

I'm not sure which season was best for me. S3 really did a good job wrapping up the story (which is pretty rare for a TV show regardless of the medium or target demographics) and had some of the strongest emotional beats of the whole show. It's been a while since I watched S1 though so I'm probably due for a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not sure why giving a team of vigilantes an F-35 is a solution to anything, but I guess it's not inherently more ridiculous than Alfred the butler doing all the maintenance and repair and refueling on a custom bat-shaped plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6QD-VU-Rw4

"Vigilante Military Violence" is a hilarious term and I am learning so much

Ah they used to be SWAT(?) and got fired but they love flying and blowing people up so much they started doing it for free lol

Looking at the 1993 date on that video, it will be 30 years since it originally aired, which is a perfect amount of time to bring something back or reboot it

The setting of the show is implicitly a city-state that's surprisingly prone to alien invasion/supervillains/kaiju attacks.

I hope they get to do the planned episode where the city of cat people gets invaded by evil humans.