Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just finished playing many of Suda51's games this month by capping it off with NMH3 and I'm currently playing Killer7. Its dope as gently caress so far.

I saw Killer is Dead is on sale, and the reviews are somewhat mixed on its performance. Anyone here play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The DLC give you parts to make those wrestlers, which many people use in creative ways to make their own OC Wrestlers or other real life wrestlers.

Hmkay- if I don't care that much about aesthetics and just want to screw around with wrassler gameplay, is any of the DLC worth a look besides promoter?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I just finished playing many of Suda51's games this month by capping it off with NMH3 and I'm currently playing Killer7. Its dope as gently caress so far.

I saw Killer is Dead is on sale, and the reviews are somewhat mixed on its performance. Anyone here play it?

it’s bad, and its development was mostly out of Suda51’s hands

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zeron posted:

It's basically toxic incel relationship simulator. You play as the manager/boyfriend of a streamer, who you live with, and also you control every aspect of her life including her medication. It's an incredibly bad/toxic game which no one should buy, that's unfortunately all the streaming rage right now. The original title (Needy Girl Overdose) says it all.

Edit: Seriously I cannot say enough how toxic the game is, don't look down the rabbit hole because it never ends. It's getting a lot of attention because of the premise and art but seriously, don't.
You make it sound like more of a "controlling abusive boyfriend simulator" - or did you mean that it is made to appeal to incels?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 1, 2022

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

The United States posted:

You make it sound like more of a "controlling abusive boyfriend simulator" - or did you mean that it is made to appeal to incels?

Yeah it's basically an incel power fantasy I meant.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zeron posted:

It's basically toxic incel relationship simulator. You play as the manager/boyfriend of a streamer, who you live with, and also you control every aspect of her life including her medication. It's an incredibly bad/toxic game which no one should buy, that's unfortunately all the streaming rage right now. The original title (Needy Girl Overdose) says it all.

Edit: Seriously I cannot say enough how toxic the game is, don't look down the rabbit hole because it never ends. It's getting a lot of attention because of the premise and art but seriously, don't.
This is the least surprising thing I've read in a while.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

if you want something that has an artstyle that's vaguely like killer7 and a fever dream plot that's vaguely like a suda51 plot and a combat system that is vaguely like no more heroes, plus a minigame where you give girls string bikinis to upgrade your weapons, then killer is dead is the one stop shop for all your needs. otherwise give it a miss unless you just really are hankering for more suda51 content

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Cowman posted:

is NEEDY STREAMER OVERLOAD any good? I'm thinking of getting it for my kid who like weird dark games and it seems to fit both.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451940/NEEDY_STREAMER_OVERLOAD/

Yeah, I'm seconding Zeron's opinion here. The streamers love the game, because it's about their profession, it has a lot of things they can react to, it's easy to play and it's short so they can finish it in a single stream, but it probably isn't something you should buy and play and it absolutely isn't something you should buy for your kid. It's basically a shock/novelty game where the "shock factor" is basing the entire game on fetishizing extremely toxic relationship with mentally ill girl who happens to be a streamer.

If you want to form your own opinion, tune on some of the many streamers that are playing it (or played it recently). It takes roughly 2-3 hours to get an ending, but it probably won't take more than 20 minutes of gameplay to make up your mind.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This looks pretty good.

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/1488654270341672960

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

lol why the hell is this game on Kickstarter? They made Shovel Knight for crying out loud.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AngryBooch posted:

lol why the hell is this game on Kickstarter? They made Shovel Knight for crying out loud.

almost-free money? idk

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Advertising/community stuff. Also driving some stretch goals probably. Why not?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Yes, why would Yacht Club want free money and advertising? :iiam:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

AngryBooch posted:

Because they can

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat loving kickstarter fr? lmao

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

if you pause you get less of a discount. you could defer part of your discount to charity, so that means people who pause can't give as much to charity. nice, Ziff Davis

also in case people are wondering, the Humble Games launching with the Humble App: Wizard of Legend, Void Bastards, Forager, Dodgeball Academia, Unsighted

Did Humble make it more difficult to pause or something? It was always kind of a hassle but now I can't even find the pause button.

E: yeah they did. Pause button used to be at the bottom of the monthly games list, now it's in only the account settings.

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 2, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

Because they can

Everybody knows you can't get community engagement without asking for a little green in exchange

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
No Joustus, no buy!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Everybody knows you can't get community engagement without asking for a little green in exchange

There’s no engagement like sunk-cost engagement.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jagged Jim posted:

Yes, why would Yacht Club want free money and advertising? :iiam:

I'm turning into the other Tim from Allentown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qLHb2GxL2Q&t=45s

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hollandia posted:

Did Humble make it more difficult to pause or something? It was always kind of a hassle but now I can't even find the pause button.

E: yeah they did. Pause button used to be at the bottom of the monthly games list, now it's in only the account settings.

marketing ghouls really want to push the monthly bundle as an actual lootbox-style subscription for some reason

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

regardless of their typed reason, it's a good way to gauge audience interest, see what kind of post-game support you'll be expected to put in long term. like even Platinum used Kickstarter for that W101 kickstarter (and probably exactly for that reason) so it's not that weird.

the only thing that sucks is Kickstarter is venturing into crypto/blockchain bullshit, or at least that's what they claim they're going to do-- it could be like a lot of companies where they just say that to keep investors happy. that might not happen until next year though, while this is obv not gonna run that long. but I'm not thrilled about using Kickstarter specifically rather than IndieGoGo or w/e, Kickstarter sounded kind of inept talking about crypto/metaverse and I don't trust their take on it. but it's what Shovel Knight was funded on so that's what they went with.

as for the game I'm hype. I love Zeldalikes but a lot of them tend to fall short of the gold standard. Yacht Club is the one dev that actually can meet the level of Nintendo depth, design and polish... so I imagine this is going to be far better than the rest of the pack (Oceanhorn, Blossom Tales, Ocean's Heart, Shipwrecked, Anodyne 1, Knightin+). i've.. i've played a lot of zeldalikes. i need one to be great, not just decent!!!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tiny Timbs posted:

They sold out all those director tiers real quick so good for them.

Whales subsidizing development through Kickstarter rather than iap monetization schemes seems good to me.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

The 7th Guest posted:

i've.. i've played a lot of zeldalikes. i need one to be great, not just decent!!!

just this year there was death's door and unsighted which are both far better than any real 2D zelda

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They fixed the gamepass version of Taiko no Tatsujin after they released it with a bug that prevented anyone from playing and, uh, I'm sure this game is cool with the drums but it's real hard to play with a controller. The bigger problem though is it only supports 60hz refresh rate so it's like trying to play a blur busters test on my screen and it gave me a headache so I quit and uninstalled it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lih posted:

just this year there was death's door and unsighted which are both far better than any real 2D zelda
that's hyperbolic, though I do really like both those games. death's door was in my top 5. but they're kind of doing their own thing, like DD also takes inspiration from Souls map design and Unsighted shares inspiration with Hyper Light Drifter (another one from this past year was Blue Fire which takes inspiration from both Zelda and 3D platformers, so check that one out if you haven't)

in terms of a pure retro Zeldalike i've been thirsty and nothing has fully satiated me

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

explosivo posted:

They fixed the gamepass version of Taiko no Tatsujin after they released it with a bug that prevented anyone from playing and, uh, I'm sure this game is cool with the drums but it's real hard to play with a controller. The bigger problem though is it only supports 60hz refresh rate so it's like trying to play a blur busters test on my screen and it gave me a headache so I quit and uninstalled it.

lmao just get worse eyes op, problem solved

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m playing Zelda lttp on the snes right now and it’s real good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The 7th Guest posted:

that's hyperbolic, though I do really like both those games. death's door was in my top 5. but they're kind of doing their own thing, like DD also takes inspiration from Souls map design and Unsighted shares inspiration with Hyper Light Drifter (another one from this past year was Blue Fire which takes inspiration from both Zelda and 3D platformers, so check that one out if you haven't)

in terms of a pure retro Zeldalike i've been thirsty and nothing has fully satiated me

WireWalk() is about as close to Link's Awakening as you can get without just copying it. It's very short but it will scratch that retro itch.

(I also feel the need to mention Lenna's Inception, which is very good but nowhere near as retro as it looks.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A number of Steam's rules about sales and discounts are changing on March 28.. The most pertinent changes to us are that the "discount cycle" (ie. the amount of time that has to pass after something's put on sale before it can be put on sale again) will be reduced from six weeks to four, and games that increase their price in any currency now have to wait four weeks before they can go on sale again.

In addition, the dates for a whole bunch of upcoming sales events for the first half of the year were released to Steam partners, and almost immediately leaked out:

Remote Play Together: 28 Feb - 7 March
JRPG Sale: 14 March - 21 March
SimFest Hobby Edition: 28 March - 4 April
Die-A-Lot Sale: 2 May - 9 May
Racing Sale: 23 May - 30 May
Summer Sale: 23 June - 7 July
Survival Sale: 18 July - 25 July

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zathril posted:

Have there been any good "Choice of Games" type games in the past few years? I played a few a while back.

Open Sourcery and Sea++

Golden Treasure of the Great Green

All three are significantly better than any of the Choice of games I’ve tried.

You probably already know this, but there are a bunch of CYOA games running on SA at any given time.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 2, 2022

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zeron posted:

I mean, isn't that literally the point and the game criticises that through the lens of a Princess Maker style stat raising game?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I mean, isn't that literally the point and the game criticises that through the lens of a Princess Maker style stat raising game?

Is this one of those "depiction means endorsement" things?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Yeah uh i played Toxic Streamer Overload and it's not really fetishizing at all. It's an extremely critical look at streaming, the dangers of focusing on the numbers, and what happens when you start using it as therapy and validation. Like most of the endings where you are moderately successful are bad, and the ones where you fully disconnect (by getting stress or mental darkness to 0) are the most positive or hopeful. Saying it's a controlling boyfriend simulator is an extremely shallow view of the game, and saying that it's toxic and people should stay away is ???????

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well i have to admit since i know nothing about the game and don't want to learn anything about the game, the interpretation that assumes goons have the media literacy and critical analysis faculties of a concussed goldfish has a lot of weight behind it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the game about manipulating your streamer gf to kill herself might still still be inappropriate for a young childe even if it has a good message
idk how old op's kid is though

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It is, if you are feeling charitable, but it feels the same way as Hollywood epic war action blockbusters trying to criticize war.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

It is, if you are feeling charitable, but it feels the same way as Hollywood epic war action blockbusters trying to criticize war.

so its like apocalypse now? i wasnt interested before but now i feel like i have to buy this game. thansk for the recommendation.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Its like in saving private ryan when they gun down those surrendering czech conscripts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jordan7hm posted:

They sold out all those director tiers real quick so good for them.

Whales subsidizing development through Kickstarter rather than iap monetization schemes seems good to me.

Yeah the fact that people were falling over themselves to pay $3000 within a couple hours of the KS going up should probably answer any "Why Kickstarter?" questions lol.