Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Just did another 3 year Xbox Live to Game Pass Ultimate conversion after my first one ran out. Incredibly blessed to Keep Winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Pobrecito posted:

Just did another 3 year Xbox Live to Game Pass Ultimate conversion after my first one ran out. Incredibly blessed to Keep Winning.

how does one do this? my sub is expiring next week, and I'd like it to be cheaper

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

how does one do this? my sub is expiring next week, and I'd like it to be cheaper

Subscribing to Game Pass will automatically convert any existing Live Gold on your account into Game Pass at a 1:1 ratio, but redeeming a Live Gold code on an account that currently has Game Pass is only at like a 1:3 ratio or something. So you load up on as much Live Gold as you can (three years is the limit I think), sign up for one month of Game Pass, and you get basically three years of Game Pass at a steeply discounted rate.

This is best done if you've never had Game Pass before since you can get your first month for only $1, but it's still a really good deal if you get one month at full price

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

butt dickus posted:

i'm going to do it. i'm going to play video games

You degenerate!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I just hope the deal still works come July as mine is expiring soon. As long as it works no reason not to top off another 3 years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stupid question just to clarify, I just paid $15 for Gamepass Ultimate, so can I go ahead and drop three years worth of Xbox Live Gold and not have to worry about monthly fees for awhile?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wait til gamepass expires first, then buy/activate your gold, then get GP Ultimate again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought a years worth of gamepass ultimate (on top of getting my first 4 months for $1) for half off on a Black Friday deal and now I'm kicking myself cause I'm worried they will fix that exploit before my poo poo runs out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I pay $16 monthly because Phil Spencer deserves it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems more like a feature than an exploit

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Feels Villeneuve posted:

isn't it literally one of the most popular games on earth

not qualified to say but as far as competitive FPS games go it was certainly several magnitudes more popular than Counter-Strike for a good long time to the best of my knowledge

e:

"CrossFire is the most played video game worldwide, with 6 million concurrent users and 1 billion registered players in February 2020, according to developer Smilegate, with the majority of players in Asia, especially China and South Korea."

well there you go

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
To clarify further, you don't need to be completely new to Game Pass in order to do the conversion again, correct? I just have to let my current subscription expire?

I bought only a year of Xbox Gold and converted it because I didn't want to commit to 2+ years just yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll want to do the conversion again sometime next year.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Pretty wild to see how narrow our thinking/experience can be sometimes. This doesn't make me any more interested in Crossfire but it is something to chew on, I guess.

Edit: Thunder Bear, from what I've read, the only difference is that you might have to pay full price for the month instead of $1. The bigger issue is that they can stop this promotion at any time and it might be right before your subscription lapses. If this is genuinely a concern for you, I don't know, maybe look at the possibility of making a new account and doing 3 years on that one?

SpiderLink fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 2, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thunder Bear posted:

To clarify further, you don't need to be completely new to Game Pass in order to do the conversion again, correct? I just have to let my current subscription expire?

Yep, once your GPU expires you can do the conversion again.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

SpiderLink posted:

Edit: Thunder Bear, from what I've read, the only difference is that you might have to pay full price for the month instead of $1. The bigger issue is that they can stop this promotion at any time and it might be right before your subscription lapses. If this is genuinely a concern for you, I don't know, maybe look at the possibility of making a new account and doing 3 years on that one?

My gut tells me that Microsoft is perfectly aware of this "exploit" and will leave it be for a while, though I base this on absolutely nothing. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time I've paid for my indecisiveness and it surely won't be the last. :v:

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Thunder Bear posted:

My gut tells me that Microsoft is perfectly aware of this "exploit" and will leave it be for a while, though I base this on absolutely nothing. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time I've paid for my indecisiveness and it surely won't be the last. :v:

Oh definitely, I jumped on the conversion deal myself because I thought there was no way it would go much longer and that was 2 years ago. For what it's worth, I've seen grey market websites selling 3 month GPU codes for 15-20 bucks so if those are legit, you have an idea of what you might have to pay on the low end. Can't vouch for the sites though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Live Gold is not long for this world, at which point the loophole will be effectively closed.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
You're a sensible but dour man, McGay. Let's try to be positive. :)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lammasu posted:

Should I turn in Microsoft points to get Code Vein? I hardly played it and I'm not a fan of Souls likes. However, partial nudity.

It's a really boring game and very anime in the cringe way. Like, 1 season promotion shovelware that not even superfans convince themselves is good kind of anime.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
The only thing I know about Code Vein is that it was featured in one of these dopey "Day in the Life of a Japanese ...." videos where this was "Day in the Life of a Japanese Game Programmer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_TxH59MclA

He seems so earnest, except "oh no the game you're working on looks like it was conceived in a boardroom by someone who asked 'what is our tiresome weeb trash game for 2019?' "

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Thunder Bear posted:

It's less money than Microsoft want, but I'm betting a lot of the people doing it actually spend a lot of time not playing games it's free money.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Thunder Bear posted:

My guess is it's like with Netflix and sharing accounts. They don't want you to do and tell you not to do it but any actual enforcement will lead to a massive backlash.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
It's too bad about the extreme animeness of Code Vein because I was really digging the FF5 + Dark souls game system.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know some people are probably going to get annoyed at me being anything other than effusively positive about this console, but it’s really wild that I’ve had like five times the OS issues and bugs in the few weeks I’ve owned a Series X than in every other console I’ve ever owned combined. I’ve had to restart the console or games for so many reasons, from only loading in 640x480 and not being changeable, to crashes/freezes, to games running at 50% or less speed after I open them from Quick Resume……I guess it really is basically a Windows PC, huh? :v:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s strange I’ve never had any of that happen to me, have you contacted Microsoft?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

who is this?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Escobarbarian posted:

I know some people are probably going to get annoyed at me being anything other than effusively positive about this console, but it’s really wild that I’ve had like five times the OS issues and bugs in the few weeks I’ve owned a Series X than in every other console I’ve ever owned combined. I’ve had to restart the console or games for so many reasons, from only loading in 640x480 and not being changeable, to crashes/freezes, to games running at 50% or less speed after I open them from Quick Resume……I guess it really is basically a Windows PC, huh? :v:

Aside from quick resumes fun ‘quirks’ none of those things should be a regular occurrence. I would factory reset it. You can also use the mobile app to create a bug, perhaps you’re hitting game specific issues?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Escobarbarian posted:

the only problem ive ever had is sometimes it doesn't update games until I try to play it, but this usually only happens when I download something but didn't start it for a few weeks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Escobarbarian posted:

Works on my machine OP. :cheersdoge:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

hatty posted:

That’s strange I’ve never had any of that happen to me, have you contacted Microsoft?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, gang. I might hit up Microsoft about it especially if it gets a bit more common. But I’ve already made it to the point of “I don’t want to be without my Xbox for a bit if I have to send it off to be repaired :ohdear:

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
My friend's Series X started smoking and caught fire a couple weeks ago, so I don't not believe you.

EDIT: neither of us necessarily blamed Microsoft, mind you, but it goes to show that technology is a crapshoot.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 2, 2022

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

who is this?

Someone who was finally cancelled.

The voice of Lo Wang in the original 1997 PC game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phitdexy3YI

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Escobarbarian posted:

Haven't encountered those issues before on my launch Series X.

Sounds like typical bugs caused by (as you mention) Quick Resume and/or Instant On mode, both 'features' I steer clear of. :cheeky:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why the gently caress would you "steer clear" of Quick Resume lmfao

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

American McGay posted:

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I get not fully trusting Quick Resume, since it can fail and you should still be saving your game like you would otherwise. But for offline games it is really cool and it is an amazing bonus to just jump back to where you were a few days ago in a second or two.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

American McGay posted:

I don't really hop between games enough for the tradeoff of issues regarding game performance, save syncing, achievement tracking etc. it may cause for it to be worth it. Particularly when the NVMe SSD loads games almost instantly anyway. :shrug:

It's a cool feature though don't get me wrong.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

American McGay posted:

I like watching my games load for 5 minutes every time I play my Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fanatic posted:

I don't really hop between games enough for the tradeoff of issues regarding game performance, save syncing, achievement tracking etc. it may cause for it to be worth it. Particularly when the NVMe SSD loads games almost instantly anyway. :shrug:

It's a cool feature though don't get me wrong.

It doesn't do any of this you nerd