Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

kalel posted:

I got bored by botw even faster than hzd. I think I'm just burnt out on video games in general but it's taken me a long time to accept that as part of my identity

the only game I feel even a remote emotional attachment to is dark souls and even that fire is fading. elden ring will probably be good but I'm just don't feel as hyped for it as I was for Bloodborne. however I have deliberately avoided information about the game so maybe I'll sit down to play and fall in love with a game all over again

do you like card games with humans?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

kalel posted:

I got bored by botw even faster than hzd. I think I'm just burnt out on video games in general but it's taken me a long time to accept that as part of my identity

the only game I feel even a remote emotional attachment to is dark souls and even that fire is fading. elden ring will probably be good but I'm just don't feel as hyped for it as I was for Bloodborne. however I have deliberately avoided information about the game so maybe I'll sit down to play and fall in love with a game all over again

That last bit is more powerful than you think. You can definitely recapture some magic. I left Diablo 2 after serious burnout and d2r brought the fun back in a big way... but only because it snuck up on me. I just didn't even know about it until it was out, se the graphics and loved itall over again

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Heather Papps posted:

play deep rock galactic. it's a team shooter where you'll all on the same team and you're mining, as space dwarfs, it rules, i swear

I'll check out out!

Farecoal

There he go

Heather Papps posted:

play deep rock galactic. it's a team shooter where you'll all on the same team and you're mining, as space dwarfs, it rules, i swear

I don't know if I would call it a chill game, though. Maybe on the easiest difficulty?

more falafel please

forums poster

i bounced off botw pretty hard, got to the point where it told me I should go fight the first "boss" and I didn't feel powerful enough so I spent some time farming shrines and it felt like every one took 45 minutes to find, with a guide and I'd have to farm for weapons/food along the way. it's beautiful looking but I just don't care for open world games I think. tell me where to go!

video games are really, really hard to make. I've been making AAA games for 15 years and it's gotten probably 3 or 4 times harder in just that time. my first title was John woo presents stranglehold, and that was a giant money sink that took like 4 years and a team of almost 150 and cost 40 million dollars. that's like, small to medium budget for AAA these days. every new wrinkle adds complexity and that complexity doesn't scale linearly at all

I'm working on a very popular GaaS-type game that you all know right now and seeing the amount of infrastructure, team structure, and tooling to support a game that updates every two weeks for tens of millions of users is wild. every sub-team is kind of an island which on the one hand seems like it's awful for communication but I don't know how else you'd do it. there's literally too much happening for any one person to be aware of even a small portion of it even if that's all they did, so you have to silo those things and separate responsibilities

i guess on the plus side they don't have to worry about making a Big Splash, as long as they keep everything going, tweak balance, and continue the steady content/feature release schedule

i will say it gives me renewed appreciation for my company's 40-hour mandate because if I actually worked there I'd be crunching half the time

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

Scaly Haylie posted:

wonderful earned a makeover because i reached a dramatically appropriate point in the story

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Scaly Haylie

everyone just got a makeover, in a way, in that i have nine party members now besides myself and i can only take three of them with me adventuring at a time, which has led to a level disparity. so i said gently caress it, i'm starting you all back at level 1 and making you punch slimes in an orderly fashion so i can use you all.

i'll post the full set of funny little guys tomorrow

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

more falafel please posted:

i bounced off botw pretty hard, got to the point where it told me I should go fight the first "boss" and I didn't feel powerful enough so I spent some time farming shrines and it felt like every one took 45 minutes to find, with a guide and I'd have to farm for weapons/food along the way. it's beautiful looking but I just don't care for open world games I think. tell me where to go!

video games are really, really hard to make. I've been making AAA games for 15 years and it's gotten probably 3 or 4 times harder in just that time. my first title was John woo presents stranglehold, and that was a giant money sink that took like 4 years and a team of almost 150 and cost 40 million dollars. that's like, small to medium budget for AAA these days. every new wrinkle adds complexity and that complexity doesn't scale linearly at all

I'm working on a very popular GaaS-type game that you all know right now and seeing the amount of infrastructure, team structure, and tooling to support a game that updates every two weeks for tens of millions of users is wild. every sub-team is kind of an island which on the one hand seems like it's awful for communication but I don't know how else you'd do it. there's literally too much happening for any one person to be aware of even a small portion of it even if that's all they did, so you have to silo those things and separate responsibilities

i guess on the plus side they don't have to worry about making a Big Splash, as long as they keep everything going, tweak balance, and continue the steady content/feature release schedule

i will say it gives me renewed appreciation for my company's 40-hour mandate because if I actually worked there I'd be crunching half the time

hi five fellow games dev. i USED to be a games dev, since the early 90's, but these days i just do regular computer touchery. i doubt that i'll ever get back into games, it's just not good for my health.

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

Scaly Haylie posted:

everyone just got a makeover, in a way, in that i have nine party members now besides myself and i can only take three of them with me adventuring at a time, which has led to a level disparity. so i said gently caress it, i'm starting you all back at level 1 and making you punch slimes in an orderly fashion so i can use you all.

i'll post the full set of funny little guys tomorrow

How'd you know that I set Thursdays aside for punching slimes??

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

ps5 trip report so far

enjoying horizon zero dawn very much but could see why someone would bounce off of it

lady-pepper is trying to play last of us and it is one of my great joys in life to watch a very serious cut scene followed by her uncoordinated flailings she is not yet good at video gam

boy-pepper has not yet played it very much because he has been visiting with grand-pepper but did giggle a whole bunch when playing astra's playland for half an hour before bed the other night

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Bo-Pepper posted:

ps5 trip report so far

enjoying horizon zero dawn very much but could see why someone would bounce off of it

lady-pepper is trying to play last of us and it is one of my great joys in life to watch a very serious cut scene followed by her uncoordinated flailings she is not yet good at video gam

boy-pepper has not yet played it very much because he has been visiting with grand-pepper but did giggle a whole bunch when playing astra's playland for half an hour before bed the other night

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

Just watched the Gran Turismo 7 State of Play. There's gonna be 7 cars in this one which is pretty impressive. Looks like one of the cars is the OJ Bronco and another is the Cadillac that Paulie Walnuts drives on the Sopranos. I'm looking forward to learning about the other 5 cars.

gently caress, I hope they put the car from Romy and Michele's High School Reunion in there

Jolo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 5, 2022

sephiRoth IRA

-Carl Sagan

Jolo posted:

Just watched the Gran Turismo 7 State of Play. There's gonna be 7 cars in this one which is pretty impressive. Looks like one of the cars is the OJ Bronco and another is the Cadillac that Paulie Walnuts drives on the Sopranos. I'm looking forward to learning about the other 5 cars.

gently caress, I hope they put the car from Romy and Michele's High School Reunion in there

You didn't see the tweet?! You didn't see the tweet.

loving pizza thrower from TMNT, it's gonna be amazing

kalel

Heather Papps posted:

do you like card games with humans?

I like to play MTG arena some times. would really like to play in person at a local game store but I already felt ambivalent about going before the pandemic because of nerd hygiene. now? no way Jose

Jolo

sephiRoth IRA posted:

You didn't see the tweet?! You didn't see the tweet.

loving pizza thrower from TMNT, it's gonna be amazing

Cowabunga! I wouldn't be mad if they add April O'Neill to the game. Hell, Gianna Michaels too.

Farecoal

There he go
It's me, the late to party gamer, playing Monster Hunter World (and my first Monster Hunter game). So far it's not bad, although I'm using mouse and keyboard and I feel like I'm still wrestling with the controls half the time. I've pretty much used nothing but the heavy gunbow so far, none of the melee weapons have felt "right"

Finger Prince

Farecoal posted:

It's me, the late to party gamer, playing Monster Hunter World (and my first Monster Hunter game). So far it's not bad, although I'm using mouse and keyboard and I feel like I'm still wrestling with the controls half the time. I've pretty much used nothing but the heavy gunbow so far, none of the melee weapons have felt "right"

I tried playing it on console but the controls were really whack, and I don't know what I expected of the game, but it was not what I expected. It seemed like the kind of game you needed to have mastered all the previous ones to know how to handle it. Pretty cool game, but pretty clear I could have saved some money if it had a label saying if you've never played monster hunter before, this game is not for you.

Bobby Deluxe

monster hunter is not a game for people who have hands and who want their hands to last into old age :corsair:

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

I tried really hard to get into monster hunter world. It is such a pretty game and everything looks and sounds like it should be really fun (and is obviously fun for so many other people), but I couldn't get the hang of the controls and wasn't having fun even after a few hours. Everything felt like work, and ultimately I just didn't want to put the time and energy into getting good enough that I might finally be able to enjoy playing it.

It's a weird one because I feel irrationally ashamed of not enjoying that particular game and not sticking with it, and I can't quite work out why.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 5, 2022

Twenty Four

deep dish peat moss posted:

But even beyond the concept of toys there's a lot of cool stuff I think "games" could be doing. I've been thinking about a "game" idea lately that's really just a complex, explorable diorama of a city or world or whatever. No 'gamey' mechanics, very few 'quests' or objectives, no 'gameplay' like fighting or leveling up, no structured narrative. Just a slice of a fictional world that players can walk around in, talk to people in, meet creatures in - without some kind of gamey mechanic propelling them along. Just exploring for the sake of exploring, because you find the world interesting. You could do the same thing with real-world places or cities. The Assassin's Creed game that was set in Egypt had a cool mode that turned off all of the Assassin's Creed parts and just let you walk around in a lovingly rendered ancient Egypt, with educational dialog teaching you the history.

This whole post was great but along the same line as others said, this is something I wish every game had. I don't think I am alone in wanting to just cruise around and look at stuff and a "game" that was based on that sound nice. On the other hand, I think part of the intrigue and appeal to having a game that is normally filled with obstacles, enemies, etc. and stripping all that away and given the chance to stop and smell the roses so to speak and the opportunity to investigate little nooks, crannies, and details that you otherwise wouldn't have had the chance to is part of the fulfillment in this situation. I haven't played any Assassin's Creed game, but I think that example likely hits the nail on the head.

kalel

I think a game still needs to have a "game" aspect for me to be interested in playing. To take the sandbox idea and run with it, I think it would be really cool to have a walking sim rpg with almost no UI (no quest arrows, no gamey numbers popping up in the world). You just explore a city or something and talk to NPCs and have a chill time. The way the "gameplay" works is you talk to people and they give you quests, but the game doesn't record them as quests—there's no arrows saying "go here to complete the quest." but you have a little notebook you can write/type/draw in to keep track of game stuff yourself.

Example: you talk to one NPC and he tells you he wants to get his wife roses. the conversation ends but if you come back with a bouquet of roses in your inventory you can give them to him. you don't get anything in return, there is no XP or levels in this hypothetical game, it's just a fun little thing you can do. maybe there's also mini games like a skateboard park, like there's just a whole skateboarding sim built into the game which you don't find unless you go to the skateboard park

Anyway that's my game idea. paging Blaise rascal to make this whole game for me please thank you

Enfys posted:

I tried really hard to get into monster hunter world. It is such a pretty game and everything looks and sounds like it should be really fun (and is obviously fun for so many other people), but I couldn't get the hang of the controls and wasn't having fun even after a few hours. Everything felt like work, and ultimately I just didn't want to put the time and energy into getting good enough that I might finally be able to enjoy playing it.

same. The combat also isn't really appealing to me at all

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
the timing of the moves in monster hunter world was something I could never get the hang of. I was excited to get into the game but fighting feels so sloppy.

still love that menu and social hub ambiance that only a japanese mmo can bring

Bobby Deluxe

every time i see the stuff about the animal pets and the cooking my interest is piqued but then i see actual gameplay or hear about how long it takes to kill one monster and think naah

a7m2

Finger Prince posted:

Pretty cool game, but pretty clear I could have saved some money if it had a label saying if you've never played monster hunter before, this game is not for you.
i fully understand your opinion but all mh games are like this. i didn't play the switch one but other than potentially that one, mh world is the most accessible one for new players lol

Jolo

Farecoal posted:

MH World was my very first and the new player experience is pretty rocky even though it's a little easier than earlier games.

If you're comfortable with a controller it might be easier to play the melee weapons with them. The PC version is pretty plug and play with Xbox or PlayStation controllers.

Here are a few things that helped me:

Unlike many action games, you'll be putting up your weapon pretty often even during combat. You can't heal or run with your weapon equipped (except sword/sh). It's ok and common to put your weapon up, run away and continue the fight later.

Find a weapon that feels alright and stick with it a bit. Each weapon plays differently and if you're bouncing around it might be harder to get a feel for the combat.

I'd recommend Sword/Shield, Hammer, and Lance as easier to play well. Lance is trickier because your movement is very slow and different while the weapon is drawn but has stellar defense.

Weapons to avoid early, I'd say both bowguns, Gr Sword, Hunting Horn, and Charge Blade. These all require very specific play styles to be effective.

A great resource is the various weapon videos made by Arekkz on YouTube. He goes over the different combos you can do with each weapon. It's really helpful to spend a little time in the training room with a weapon before going on a hunt with it. These were a huge help to me even after spending a hundred hours with the game.

Final tip, while playing solo is better for learning how the different monsters move and attack, sometimes playing with others is more fun. You have a flare gun that the game describes as a "help me with this monster" emergency flare but actually it's best use is as an "I just started a hunt and want to do it with a group" flare. Start up a hunt on your own and immediately fire off a flare. This'll open up your hunt to anyone, while starting a mission in the hub and waiting for others to join only opens it to those on your current hub server.

I hope you end up enjoying it. It's an overwhelming game to start. Starting at the same time as a few friends definitely made it easier to learn. We'd share little things we learned with one another and that made it easier to parse the textbook of info the game dumps on you at the start.

I can answer questions and the MH thread here can answer World questions even though I bet lots of the conversation there is centered around Rise now.

Farecoal

There he go
Thanks for the tips! I've been trying out the regular bow and I think like it better, worrying about stamina and not ammo seems to work better for me. I also tried the hammer, I liked the damage but the charge attacks were confusing. Also melee in general feels weird. I don't like not being able to turn after initiating a combo

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
MHWorld was my first monhun as well, it's basically a character action game (think Devil May Cry / Ghost of Tsushima) and each weapon has it's own moveset and thus playstyle. There's also an expectation that people will learn the monster movesets and tells as well, which informs what moves are best for the current situation.

Having said that, I did a lot of MHW content just smacking monsters on the noggin with a hammer, or finding out that sweet combo on the switch axe that gives it like 100% extra reach and just spamming that and dodge rolling when they looked like they were going to charge lol

I think my favourite is hunting horn but it is a total pain to play well, I just ditz around with the same 2 or 3 combos and chug potions like they are going out of style :sweatdrop:

Jolo

I think with sword shield you can change direction after nearly every attack. Use the shield on the head for the stun damage, sword on other parts.

I haven't played in a while but I remember with Hammer you have a regular charge and a power charge. The power charge boosts the stun and damage of all your attacks but goes away when you get hit. I think that power charge requires you to stand still and hold two buttons. The nice thing about Hammer and other weapons that do stun damage is that you can completely knock the monster out and they'll let you bash em for a moment totally uninterrupted. That's when you do your big bang combo with the hammer.

Hammer is all about hit and run and focusing on the monster's head. Depending on how long you hold attack you'll do different hammer swings. One of them does an uppercut that is great for a quick run up the head and release for the uppercut. Stun damage only works on the head.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
monster hunter stories on the 3ds, now that's where the fun is at!

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Heather Papps

hello friend

i bought monster hunter rise the day i had a colonoscopy and was still kind of drugged up. i like it, but i have liked monster hunter since 3 i guess. switch axe rules, is very fun to use, and being able to ride your dog around the maps and wirebug jump or whatever really speeds the game up, as well as auto crafting and stuff which may have been there for a while.

i can understand not wanting to devote the time required to the series though, especially at this point. i have the same opinion about souls style games, the amount of time needed to get to having fun is too long, but monster hunter is a very cheerful game that makes me smile and laugh, so maybe that's the difference.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

biosterous

there's an indie dev working on a space game that is basically "hey remember freelancer, and how it loving ruled? i'm gonna make not-freelancer with modern graphics and a new universe to explore and some good quality-of-life tweaks. also i'ma make it feel less empty and do some cool worldbuilding. also i hate scope creep so i'm not gonna even think about adding new features until this is actually published"

it's called underspace and i've been playing the demo and i love it, freelancer is one of my most-played games and this game absolutely hits all the marks

play the demo it's fun! https://pastaspace.itch.io/underspace

also

i gave my ship the correct colours, or as best as i could manage anyway :buddy:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Finger Prince

biosterous posted:

there's an indie dev working on a space game that is basically "hey remember freelancer, and how it loving ruled? i'm gonna make not-freelancer with modern graphics and a new universe to explore and some good quality-of-life tweaks. also i'ma make it feel less empty and do some cool worldbuilding. also i hate scope creep so i'm not gonna even think about adding new features until this is actually published"

it's called underspace and i've been playing the demo and i love it, freelancer is one of my most-played games and this game absolutely hits all the marks

play the demo it's fun! https://pastaspace.itch.io/underspace

also

i gave my ship the correct colours, or as best as i could manage anyway :buddy:

Freelancer was rad, but OG Privateer for me was the best. I've been waiting for someone to do a reinterpretation of that kind of game for ages. I thought elite dangerous was it, but lol nope not even close. Everspace nails the combat pretty well, but it's a roguelike. It's fun, but the trading and economic aspect is totally missing. Looking forward to checking this out.

sb hermit

Finger Prince posted:

Freelancer was rad, but OG Privateer for me was the best. I've been waiting for someone to do a reinterpretation of that kind of game for ages. I thought elite dangerous was it, but lol nope not even close. Everspace nails the combat pretty well, but it's a roguelike. It's fun, but the trading and economic aspect is totally missing. Looking forward to checking this out.

The only thing I know about privateer was that it crashed a lot more than wing commander, which is frustrating. I probably had a dodgy tsr somewhere.

Privateer 2 had great graphics and cheesy sci-fi network live action cutscenes. It also crashed more. Needless to say, neither ever got finished.

Finger Prince

sb hermit posted:

The only thing I know about privateer was that it crashed a lot more than wing commander, which is frustrating. I probably had a dodgy tsr somewhere.

Privateer 2 had great graphics and cheesy sci-fi network live action cutscenes. It also crashed more. Needless to say, neither ever got finished.

It was an Origin game so of course you had to create like handwritten autoexec.bat and config.sys files to have enough himem to run the thing, but once it was working it was great. The ambient music and backdrop art on the planets/stations was so atmospheric and great (even if it was just adlib/soundblaster midi).

Farecoal

There he go
Doing some more googling and reading about MHW:

1. Did the Iceborne expansion (which I don't have) change how some of the weapons worked? At least for the bow people on Reddit were talking about it been buffed or nerfed or something after Iceborne.

2. Apparently the attack values on weapons are fake (or "bloated")? Do I actually have to worry about calculating the damage or should I just go with Bigger Number = Better until the very endgame?

Jolo

For the attack power thing they multiplied the number based on how slow the attack is. So a great sword has these gigantic numbers because it hits really hard. Just don't compare the attack numbers of one weapon to a different one.

I think the idea behind it was that if a player saw a great sword and a sword/shield that both had 100 attack power some folks would think the great sword is way worse because it has the same power but swings so slowly.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Also I think big number = better is a fine way to go with, but mostly it boils down to what weapon type meshes with you. I ended up really enjoying the gun lance after bouncing off of sword & shield, insect glaive, and double daggers.

Jolo

So yeah bigger attack power is better just look at it compared to the same weapon type.

Faster weapons benefit more from elemental and status effects. On dual blades, sword shield, and bow they're very good to the point that you can kill monsters way faster if you use an element they're weak to.

Iceborne added a clutch claw that gives every weapon a couple of new moves. I believe they toned down how hard the bow hits because with elemental bows and the right gear you could absolutely wreck monsters even without being amazing at the game.

Finger Prince

Wartales on steam is early access but I think I'm gonna buy it tomorrow. Isometric turn based open world RPG? Yes please! It looks really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

So I've been playing wartales for the past couple of days, and it's really really good. Like it's hard to describe how this is a game I've wanted someone to make since Baldur's Gate, maybe even the OG SSI gold box stuff, and how closely they nailed it. That being said, I think I'm going to restart it on easy. The game itself isn't too difficult, but resource management, particularly armour repair kits (called raw materials) can really bog things down. You'll finish every fight with your armour busted up, and you can't craft raw materials, so it's back to a blacksmith to buy more, which can be a day's walk, so you might have to pay your mercenaries their salary, meaning you've got no money for raw materials. Anyway, I'm hoping easy difficulty let's me get a feel for what works and what doesn't a bit better, without having to worry about always being on the brink of financial disaster. I also think I need to embrace less a of a Shadowrun mindset of personnel management and more an xcom style, because especially on normal, with busted armour and stuff, some of your squad aren't going to make it.