Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021
So my partner and I have been really scrapped for batteries as we make more and more crystalariums. We have a ton of lightning rods, but of course during Winter, those don't produce at all.

I found out about solar panels, but despite me checking every Monday for the past three years in-game, we have never gotten the Island Ingredients special order to spawn, so we don't have the recipe yet as we start year five. Any advice? We're playing on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Make sure to complete the other special quests, I think the game prioritizes not repeating those. Also you need access to the island before the quest pops up, but I assume you have that.

I've never really had trouble keeping up on batteries from lightning rods though. They make excellent fences so it's easy to keep a ton around, and if you use a rain totem during a lightning storm the next day will also be a lightning storm.

Iridium bats aren't a bad source of batteries either, so don't skip those in the skull caverns.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Sadly Battery Packs are very hard to come by. If you're lucky Pam or Kent can mail you one. Also check the Traveling Cart if you're desperate. Outside of a 5% chance drop on Iridium Bats your best bet is to wait for more storms after you put up more lightning rods.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The max you're ever going to get from a storm is like maybe 15? I don't think it matters if you have 30 lightning rods or 100 once you're past the max number of lightning strikes you can get in a day.

...OK, before posting this I looked at the wiki and it says I am wrong, more rods = higher chance each individual strike will go to a rod. So basically cover every possible square inch of your farm with lightning rods.

Though the formula is simply the chances of a strike going to a lightning rod are (rods already holding a charge) / (total rods). So like if you have 50 and 10 of them are charged then it's 80% to intercept, if you have 100 then it's 90%. So you do kind of hit diminishing returns somewhere in there. Still, if you're desperate for battery packs and you have lots of bat wings and quartz...

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Wiki says that if you get a storm day to appear, you can use rain totems to keep the storm going (but they'll never make a storm otherwise.)

I'm not sure I honestly see much value in a lot of crystallariums though.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tylana posted:

Wiki says that if you get a storm day to appear, you can use rain totems to keep the storm going (but they'll never make a storm otherwise.)

Ruby and Jade are super valuable now with the desert trader (Spicy Eel and Staircases, respectively). Otherwise the people with hundreds of em are just completing personal goals.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
if I have a giant shed full of kegs and another with preserve jars then obviously I need a third with crystallariums churning out gems. That's just how it works!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
One of my odder side projects in my endgame is to have the right number of properly-stocked Crystalariums in a location to produce 100 gems of each rainbow color per few weeks for Automate to dump into a chest, at as close to the the same daily rate for each color as I can manage.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Tylana posted:

I mean, there's not, but I'm still gonna fill my shed with a colossal diamond farm.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yeah at a certain point you just start doing poo poo because it amuses you. Do I need an entire coop full of dinosaurs? No. Do I want an entire coop full of dinosaurs so I can give them all goofy names and pet them? YES.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

You would think Pierre might sell batteries instead of wallpaper and seeds in a town with one farmer

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You would think Pierre might sell batteries instead of wallpaper and seeds in a town with one farmer

if Pierre was better at business he wouldn't be getting his rear end kicked by JojaMart

which also sells mostly seeds and wallpaper

actually nobody sells batteries, what the gently caress

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

actually nobody sells batteries, what the gently caress

The traveling cart sells 1-5 occasionally, but this does not make much of a dent in my de Beers roleplaying.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

There was a multi year period where pelican town had no farmers whatsoever. Who was buying all the seeds??

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There was a multi year period where pelican town had no farmers whatsoever. Who was buying all the seeds??

That's one thing I liked about Stardew Valley Expanded, they gave some of the villagers small farms and a community farm below the museum.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Doesn't Emily and Haley's house have a small veg bed in front of it? Someone also gifts you veg and excess fertiliser from their garden, I can't remember if it's Caroline or Jodi.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Lewis does some gardening

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
yeah, Lewis and Jodi both do some gardening, and Evelyn does the whole community garden thing

it's just that before the farmer shows up, seeds are a niche market, not the industrial one it becomes when a proper farm is going. Going all-in on it is probably why Pierre is struggling at first.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
They're at war with Gotoro right now. I could see batteries being used for the war effort. Need to get your battery passport to be given a pack of double As every quarter.

Honestly all the weird supply and chain stuff in Stardew I blame on the war.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Makes sense. Bombs are in surplus.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What're the best rings to make? I can finally make an iridium band, once I get enough sun blobs. Is it better to have 2 of those, or 1 of those and something defensive?

I think I'll finally try a big dig, once I get enough for an iridium pick. I'm taking my time. It's Winter 2 and I still have some odds and ends to take care of. I think I'm going to expand my honey operation to start with. If anyone has some good honey layouts, I'd love to see them. I currently have a diamond with a flower in the middle so I can water it, but it's certainly large and a bit unwieldy.

Also I'm trying to get a drat starfish as a quest for a fish pond and I can't seem to find one. I've got about a quarter of the green house Ancient Fruited, so that's going well too.

I have a pretty good lumber operation going on, having planted the railroad. What's another good spot for mass forestation and how much would do you all keep on hand, two full stacks is my current status. Once that's up I sell the third.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Iridium Band + Burglar ring until endgame when you have the option to combine rings.

Main
-Iridium Band (Glow, Magnet, Attk Dmg)
-Burglar Ring (double loot roll)

Other Ideas
-Lucky Ring (+1 Luck)
-Phoenix Ring (once per day, health restored to 50% when HP reduced to 0)
-Protection Ring (increases invulnerability time after being damaged)
-Slime Charmer Ring (immune to Slimes)

Some people may like rings that regen health/stamina, but by the time you're getting those, you can already manage that with food very easily.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 6, 2022

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Burglar Ring from killing enough Dust Sprites can make a nice difference to enemy drops.

Crab Ring from killing enough crabs makes a big difference to how much damage you take... which very much depends on how much damage you take.

And there's some neat tricks to do with rings in the 'post-game' area.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Comedy Option, 2 topaz rings.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tylana posted:

Burglar Ring from killing enough Dust Sprites can make a nice difference to enemy drops.

Crab Ring from killing enough crabs makes a big difference to how much damage you take... which very much depends on how much damage you take.

And there's some neat tricks to do with rings in the 'post-game' area.

Thanks gang.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Don't sleep on the napalm ring either, it really reduces how many staircases and bombs you need in the skull caverns.

The desert oasis is a solid spot to put down a bunch of non-fruit trees, but they stop growing in winter there too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Finally got in my stardew board game. It feels very quality and it's cute

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

finally figured out how to get mods working in the game without frustation and am now trying out expanded and automate. Why did the redneck farmer wait until the day after the egg festival to give me free strawberry seeds??

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
My bottleneck on the incredibly useful Fiber Seeds has generally been clay. I stumbled across this video on clay farming this afternoon, from roughly two months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWjFq2sMxXQ&t=125s

Basically, the pseudorandom number generator that rolls the clay runs every time you hoe. once you hit clay, it's 100% predictable where the next pieces of clay will be the next time you hoe.

So you hoe and pick a square until it generates clay, then go into the pattern to find clay in nearly every place you dig.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been giving Kyneseed a go this week. It's unfortunately pretty far down the list of games I'd recommend that are farming-centric. It seems to want to be more of a puzzle/adventure game than a farming or management game. There doesn't seem to be a practical way to sell the crops you grow, other than standing at a shop counter and waiting for people to visit. Which is not a lot of fun since you can go noticeable periods without anyone coming by the shop.

maltesh posted:

My bottleneck on the incredibly useful Fiber Seeds has generally been clay. I stumbled across this video on clay farming this afternoon, from roughly two months ago.

Basically, the pseudorandom number generator that rolls the clay runs every time you hoe. once you hit clay, it's 100% predictable where the next pieces of clay will be the next time you hoe.

So you hoe and pick a square until it generates clay, then go into the pattern to find clay in nearly every place you dig.

This is crazy.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

That was found and used by speed/challenge runners of the game about a year ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUeZZ14y54

If you don't want to clay farm (and it supposedly doesn't work on consoles), the way I get clay is to go the the island's dig site and destroy the rocks that give clay instead of rocks. Also hoeing in the Mines is a good source as well. Elevator to a floor with dirt, hoe, go back to the top, repeat.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELxwLbodoWI for below. I guess I'm taking a bunch of things I've known about since 1.5 released for common knowledge apologies.

Unclouded fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 10, 2022

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
wait WHAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FplcVYaeBc

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

maltesh posted:

You can also abuse the number generator to guarantee ancient seeds are produced out of seed makers all the time. It has to do with placement of the seed maker as well as the time of day.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

pam requests a battery from you (for her TV remote, I think?) and then usually mails you a battery as a gift the next week or something

what I'm saying is, the battery-based economy in SDV is a strange thing

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Psion posted:

pam requests a battery from you (for her TV remote, I think?) and then usually mails you a battery as a gift the next week or something

She used the battery, changed the channel then mailed you the battery back, simple.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's because she wanted to use it to make a pan galactic gargle blaster, but after a huge row Penny made her mail it back

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's because she wanted to use it to make a pan galactic gargle blaster, but after a huge row Penny made her mail it back

Penny confirmed worst spouse

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

People be crazy.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Psion posted:

i gift shane the exact same expired frozen pizza he sends me in the unrefigerated mail system and he always loves it, so this is par for the course in pelican town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i gift shane the exact same expired frozen pizza he sends me in the unrefigerated mail system and he always loves it, so this is par for the course in pelican town

The best is when you marry him and he just gives you Pepper Poppers