Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lovelyn posted:

"He's doing great! They weaned his vent to 90%!"

Lololol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A Bakers Cousin posted:

old houses that need to be demolished are also a big rural problem, all the old farm towns in illinois are dying and all the old farm houses are just rotting because no one wants to buy a lot of land that requires not only a demolition but also you now live in some dead farm village with a trailer park and a gas station?

That particular picture is from a town of 8-9k that has just completely ceased to function on any level larger than the family or business level. Garbage collection was privatized and is now charged by weight, you drop it off, and most people can't afford it so they take their trash up to the hills and burn it in giant waste piles.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Bakers Cousin posted:

old houses that need to be demolished are also a big rural problem, all the old farm towns in illinois are dying and all the old farm houses are just rotting because no one wants to buy a lot of land that requires not only a demolition but also you now live in some dead farm village with a trailer park and a gas station?

not to mention the sure fact that you'll never be able to grow anything you want to eat there unless you spend a fortune digging all the lead paint chips out of the soil that have fallen off the rotten husk of a home and barn you tore down

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

You know what I haven't seen y'all comment about that Biden governors meeting picture is that even with their improper mask wearing that is the most properly masked large gathering of people in the united states since the pandemic started.

And that's an LOL from me.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I believe abandoned human settlements are a self correcting problem thanks to nature.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That particular picture is from a town of 8-9k that has just completely ceased to function on any level larger than the family or business level. Garbage collection was privatized and is now charged by weight, you drop it off, and most people can't afford it so they take their trash up to the hills and burn it in giant waste piles.

yeah one of the towns around me had a whole big thing about trash and leaf burnings because they dont get trash service there they just take it to a place near the edge of town and all burn it

Apr 7, 2003

also while cruising around that town on Google Maps I just found this

what the christ

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Joementum posted:

not to mention the sure fact that you'll never be able to grow anything you want to eat there unless you spend a fortune digging all the lead paint chips out of the soil that have fallen off the rotten husk of a home and barn you tore down

Its also not like these homes are built somewhere where you could actually farm that much, they are just homes in the middle of tiny towns

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Its also not like these homes are built somewhere where you could actually farm that much, they are just homes in the middle of tiny towns

i live in rural vermont and since the pandemic started we've seen a flood of people from CA and NYC make cash buys at $100k over asking for 1920s construction on acre plots, gut the interior, slap a new coat of paint on the outside and plop a chicken coop right next to their new 10x10 garden so they can play at having a farmstand

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Iron Crowned posted:

Cases down but deaths up :iiam:

Once again I feel like I’m losing my mind because it couldn’t have been TWO WEEKS ago that we were told cases don’t matter, aren’t even worth reporting because deaths were low. Now the only thing being reported is cases, and if you cared to look, you’d see deaths were high and climbing.

As with all of these things, I understand the consent being manufactured, I understand I feel crazy for noticing it, but what do “normal” people think about cases not mattering at all, disappearing from the news, and now reappearing?

It’s upsetting for me because I see the intent behind it, capital working through politics and the media, but since this presumably appears apropos of nothing to people with a “normal” outlook - How is that not more disorienting? Wouldn’t they just be noticing wild and unexplained contradictions? That’s got to be more upsetting that having that Marxist analysis and seeing these seemingly unexplained and nonsensical actions as a coherent expression of class interest.

I guess I’m wondering how people for whom consent manufacturing works seamlessly experience the ever-changing narratives that surround them?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Joementum posted:

i live in rural vermont and since the pandemic started we've seen a flood of people from CA and NYC make cash buys at $100k over asking for 1920s construction on acre plots, gut the interior, slap a new coat of paint on the outside and plop a chicken coop right next to their new 10x10 garden so they can play at having a farmstand

lol I remember seeing something on how people were doing this in detroit and the chemicals in the soil were so bad they couldnt grow anything

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i was going to but genuinely forgot who done made it. its super good and ty for making it lmao

oic ty

has the fertilizer plant exploded or what is happening

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The sooner that rural North America dies and reverts back to wilderness the better the entire planet will be.

I won't be taking comments at this time don't @ me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stereotype posted:

by this logic we already live in a radical totalitarian state because i can't drive drunk.

many influential people believe this

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
whoops all lead

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I lived in McAllister Montana, a "community" consisting of a post office and a bar and even they managed to have a public trash dump. Granted, I just checked and the median home price for sale is a cool $1.1m so the property taxes probably covered it.

I really enjoy your posts about rural Pennsylvania, it's an interesting window into an under-reported part of america

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

We had perfectly functioning contagious disease controls and quarantine systems that eradicated a major contagious disease in the United States (measles) just twenty-two years ago.

Our society has decayed so much in that time that the idea of using state power to eradicate a disease is now completely unthinkable.

We essentially banned smoking in public only like 15 years ago too, which was a huge thing for public health and the rights of the community over individuals. There is no way in hell we could do that today. It’s taken less than 20 years for the state to just dissolve.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tzen posted:

and that this is probably a massive undercount, jesus loving christ

40% increase in daily mortality, totally fine

we can still have brunch

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tzen posted:

and that this is probably a massive undercount, jesus loving christ

gonna reach DDR5 levels of official deaths

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

what the christ

these signs are all over Seattle too. i don't know what the grift is though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thoguh posted:

We essentially banned smoking in public only like 15 years ago too, which was a huge thing for public health and the rights of the community over individuals. There is no way in hell we could do that today. It’s taken less than 20 years for the state to just dissolve.

trump was really bad

is bad

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

what the christ

you live in Pittsburgh and you never saw these before? what neighborhood you live in my man? I was there for four years and I memorized those drat numbers I saw em so much

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

what the christ

I see these everywhere in Chicago. Granted I stay over on the less affluent Southside but they are at every intersection. No clue what the business model is about

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

trunp is of course a symptom partly but he just kind of made things a lot worse than can be believed due to his idiosyncratic manias and delusions

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

what the christ

I think those are posted by the parking lot of every pharmacy in the country. I assume the scheme is you pay someone with insurance more than what their copay was, and then you sell it to someone without insurance for more than that but a lot less than the sticker price.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For like 5 years trunp and his ideas ran the country and he’s a deeply ignorant, paranoid, racist, sexist, sociopath and it rubbed off

Apr 7, 2003

mdemone posted:

you live in Pittsburgh and you never saw these before? what neighborhood you live in my man? I was there for four years and I memorized those drat numbers I saw em so much

I'm right outside the south end of the Liberty Tunnels, I've never seen one of these signs. We Buy Ugly Houses sure. We buy test strips is a new one though.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Ive always assumed those yellow "we buy x" signs were a good way to get human trafficed

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it didn't explode yet? i read about it being on fire almost 24 hours ago

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Thoguh posted:

I think those are posted by the parking lot of every pharmacy in the country. I assume the scheme is you pay someone with insurance more than what their copay was, and then you sell it to someone without insurance for more than that but a lot less than the sticker price.

the signs here specifically say USED test strips though?

Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

it didn't explode yet? i read about it being on fire almost 24 hours ago

it's powering up. takes a few episodes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

It's bleakly funny that Japan has 80% vaxxed vs the usas 75%, Japan didn't bother testing much at all, and still outperformed pretty much everyone besides china

Australia just passed Japan in per Capita covid deaths and SK is about to

japan pretty much 100% proves that high compliance with masking alone is enough to mostly stop the virus

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the signs here specifically say USED test strips though?

Maybe they are making meth

Apr 7, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I lived in McAllister Montana, a "community" consisting of a post office and a bar and even they managed to have a public trash dump. Granted, I just checked and the median home price for sale is a cool $1.1m so the property taxes probably covered it.

I really enjoy your posts about rural Pennsylvania, it's an interesting window into an under-reported part of america

My brother just bought a house in this town

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Mount-Carmel_PA

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Once again I feel like I’m losing my mind because it couldn’t have been TWO WEEKS ago that we were told cases don’t matter, aren’t even worth reporting because deaths were low.

As with all of these things, I understand the consent being manufactured, I understand I feel crazy for noticing it, but what do “normal” people think about cases not mattering at all, disappearing from the news, and now reappearing?

It’s upsetting for me because I see the intent behind it, capital working through politics and the media, but since this presumably appears apropos of nothing to people with a “normal” outlook - How is that not more disorienting? Wouldn’t they just be noticing wild and unexplained contradictions? That’s got to be more upsetting that having that Marxist analysis and seeing these seemingly unexplained and nonsensical actions as a coherent expression of class interest.

I guess I’m wondering how people for whom consent manufacturing works seamlessly experience the ever-changing narratives that surround them?

Nothing
I think people don’t trust themselves to make a judgement about why that happens.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm right outside the south end of the Liberty Tunnels, I've never seen one of these signs. We Buy Ugly Houses sure. We buy test strips is a new one though.

yeah I was up by Moon during the Fetterman era. lotta poor folk up there running schemes

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

a cruel man who didn't give a gently caress about anyone but his own.

never rest shithead.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I see these everywhere in Chicago. Granted I stay over on the less affluent Southside but they are at every intersection. No clue what the business model is about

Same thing as Tide. People rob the poo poo out of them from stores and it's valuable so it's a gray/black market trading item. Especially with some of the new laws people will just hit a CVS/Wallgreens and strip the gently caress out of those types of items and you can trade them for all sorts of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

euphronius posted:

For like 5 years trunp and his ideas ran the country and he’s a deeply ignorant, paranoid, racist, sexist, sociopath and it rubbed off

...what?

My dude, that poo poo was kicking around for literal decades before Trump ever ran for office.