Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I think he outsourced it to five someones in fact.

Just so we're talking about the same thing, this was different than the Chinese hitman who started an outsourcing chain, right?

ETA: unintentional :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have storage full of dusty VoIP gear that you ripped out as everything moved to WFH and everybody is enjoying softphones now anyway, it looks like you can at least get rid of it all for free, and possibly get paid for it as well

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/introducing-device-trade-in-for-microsoft-teams/ba-p/3073033

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Infosec: I see you installed Cisco AnyConnect. Is there a reason for that?

Me, under my breath: no, I just loving felt like it, because that's what a senior engineer does, installs random poo poo for the gently caress of it

In reality: we are doing a trial on one of the big boxes at the IBM data center in Poughkeepsie, and that's the way to connect.

Can't wait to beat on it. 15/30c Power 10 at 4GHz.

Yum.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

AlexDeGruven posted:

Me, under my breath: no, I just loving felt like it, because that's what a senior engineer does, installs random poo poo for the gently caress of it

I have said that out loud to EntSec in the past. "My title is Platform Engineering: Windows, what do you think my actual job entails? Now that you've answered that, ask yourself if you need to pursue this case further."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

In reality: we are doing a trial on one of the big boxes at the IBM data center in Poughkeepsie, and that's the way to connect.

Yum.
Tell them if they keep quiet about it you'll cut them in on all the Dogecoin you're about to mine on that thing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yum.

That is actually a very reasonable conversation to have. Depending on how soon they noticed you had a non-standard vpn client on your machine and interviewed you on the subject, could actually be pretty impressive.

And yeah, people with admin rights do randomly install poo poo on their machine and its the entire point with watching for stuff like this. If we found an engineer doing something like this, the actually intent could be things like "I vpn into my home network" to even more idiotic poo poo.

Its not even if the expectation is you let someone know you are about to do it (depends on the org and their policies) but mostly that someone is watching AND following up.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I get what you're saying, but it was the way the question was asked. And knowing your audience.

I'm a senior engineer for a multi billion dollar company, and have been doing IT likely since the dude was in diapers, so it's silly for me to waste my time on something random without a definite purpose, especially when I'm full time remote and have my desktop computer right next to me for when I want to gently caress about.

And nobody runs an AnyConnect endpoint on their home network.

Knormal posted:

Tell them if they keep quiet about it you'll cut them in on all the Dogecoin you're about to mine on that thing.

I actually spun up a Monero miner back when I had a test box, because I have a friend who was really into it at the time and could give me an idea of the comparison between 20 4.4GHz RISC cores with 8 threads each and his CPU/GPU rig (it was REALLY fast). But I took it down for obvious reasons as soon as I pulled some numbers.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 2, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

I get what you're saying, but it was the way the question was asked. And knowing your audience.

I'm a senior engineer for a multi billion dollar company, and have been doing IT likely since the dude was in diapers, so it's silly for me to waste my time on something random without a definite purpose, especially when I'm full time remote and have my desktop computer right next to me for when I want to gently caress about.

And nobody runs an AnyConnect endpoint on their home network.

Eh, I'm sure the security weeble could have asked the question better, but it probably popped on an automated scan and the auto-created ticket needed a justification for marking it closed-complete. There's also the outside chance your workstation got hacked and the AnyConnect client was theoretically part of the payload.

What a shock that a little bit of soft skills would have made this an entirely forgettable encounter :v:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Eh, I'm sure the security weeble could have asked the question better, but it probably popped on an automated scan and the auto-created ticket needed a justification for marking it closed-complete. There's also the outside chance your workstation got hacked and the AnyConnect client was theoretically part of the payload.

What a shock that a little bit of soft skills would have made this an entirely forgettable encounter :v:

I didn't get into IT because I like people

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I have said that out loud to EntSec in the past. "My title is Platform Engineering: Windows, what do you think my actual job entails? Now that you've answered that, ask yourself if you need to pursue this case further."

Once when I was in the NOC, I got a ticket from the network team because one link on a LAG was down. I put it in as not customer impacting because, I mean really, and my boss gave me poo poo for not asking. I told him why she he shot back that I'm not the SME as it's not my position to make that determination.

So I asked and the network team gave me poo poo for not knowing.

I don't judge things like questions like that because most of the time it's a CYA or process thing that just needs to be followed because we live in a corporate hellscape created to kill us all slowly from the inside.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 2, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I'm in a similar position to AlexDeGruven, where if you ask me that question without first understanding where I am on the org chart, I'm going to call you an undertrained idiot who needs to do more due diligence than pasting from a script. This is more of a problem with the company, rampant turnover, and siloing than a soft skills or respect issue.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm in a similar position to AlexDeGruven, where if you ask me that question without first understanding where I am on the org chart, I'm going to call you an undertrained idiot who needs to do more due diligence than pasting from a script. This is more of a problem with the company, rampant turnover, and siloing than a soft skills or respect issue.

You sound lovely to work with

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

lament.cfg posted:

You sound lovely to work with

AlexDeGruven posted:

I didn't get into IT because I like people

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dont let those underlings forget you make more money then them too! That'll really put them in their place.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

:yikes:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I originally meant soft skills from the security grunt, but I appreciate the comprehensive demonstration that all levels have further training opportunities.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Dont let those underlings forget you make more money then them too! That'll really put them in their place.

It's not even that.

The question could have easily been framed better and not feel like a waste of my time because, as I've stated before, I don't have time to gently caress about with silly poo poo on my work computer.

Also, in reality, I didn't answer the way I quoted earlier, because I'm a professional and an adult. I let them know what was up, and even let him know he'll see 2 DBAs install it for the same reason.

I'm much more of an rear end in a top hat in my head (and here) than I am outwardly.

That being said, I have had some really stupid things get thrown my way and I'll definitely take them to task for it when necessary. Like the infosec guy who insisted on a call for a firewall request and then denied it when I told him to just ask me via IM or email.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I started in the help desk. It's about doing their job right, and management giving them the tools and documentation to do it right. But continue to go off.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I started in the help desk. It's about doing their job right, and management giving them the tools and documentation to do it right. But continue to go off.

I would respond but I looked up where you are on the SA org chart and its clear that I am an undertrained idiot not worthy of your interaction.

Please accept this Bonzi Buddy as a token of my respect:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I would respond but I looked up where you are on the SA org chart and its clear that I am an undertrained idiot not worthy of your interaction.

Yes, I'm sure DRJ meant she would 100% in real life absolutely say to the guy the exact words "You undertrained idiot! How dare you bother ME with such stupidity!"

Or maybe, as with AlexDeGruven, it might be phrased in a far more professional manner, one that experienced IT people know how to use to effectively call someone an idiot in professional work-appropriate (cool and detached even) language.

I expect the general undertrained idiots of most of SA to not understand nuances like "my posts on this forum do not correctly model my professional communication" but I would expect better from this particular subforum where we have to deal with incredibly nuanced situations each and every day.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

something something bootstraps

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you even pretend like you're cool enough to "pull rank" or you somehow feel like a more junior person is below you because they're doing their job, you sound loving insufferable to work with and maybe some of us on SA have been around the block long enough know exactly your type.

You should be guiding and mentoring more junior people, not talking down to them in a "professional manner."

"I didn't go into IT because I like people," yeah, and you give the rest of us a bad rap.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 2, 2022

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
While I respect people's title, they can still make mistakes or not be great at their job anymore. See doctors, lawyers, managers, janitors, chefs, etc.

At the entry level you have less autonomy which means you have to things you may not want, like calling a Sr Engineer to ask them a simple question. It is also possible that the security person likes and respects their job and title just as much as you do and are doing their best and actually enjoy their work.

I'm also one that "got into computers to not deal with people" but its not the 90s anymore and interacting with other humans on a professional level is something we all have to deal with in this industry.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I got into computers because I was better with them than people

Still ended up needing to learn not to think like a piece of poo poo and remembering how lovely being a peon is. For one thing all the assholes who think you deserve to be peed on

If you have a problem with their approach, address the process that forces them to act that way

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Christ, remind me not to post as though this was still a dead gay comedy website anymore.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Comedy evolved when we realized punching down is a complete poo poo move.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Comedy evolved when we realized punching down is a complete poo poo move.

This.

Also, I got into doing computers for work because it was the absolute lowest friction career path in front of me, not because of any dislike of people or other passion.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Being lovely to people is not a virtue. Its also not funny.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

To be clear, talking poo poo about your peers and superiors is still fair game.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Bitching about annoying questions is now punching down. Got it 🙄

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If that was all it was there wouldn’t be so many people pushing back on it.

But go ahead, post through it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For the first time in my career I’ve been working with and mentoring/coaching actual junior engineers. It’s been fairly eye opening and I’ve learned a lot in the process as well.

One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned recently is that sometimes the biggest thing a junior engineer or tech needs is to be told that they’re actually doing a good job.

Too many people talk down to those with less experience and have some unrealistic level of expectations, and the junior engineers can sense that and get frustrated and you can see it come out in their work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Everyone was pretty much on your side til you started in on on how important you are, mr senior engineer at a billion dollar company

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am also a senior engineer at a billion dollar company. I don’t feel like it’s a very high bar.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Also, it’s an irrelevant bar.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been doing IT since he was in diapers! I'll show that little poo poo!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I am also a senior engineer at a billion dollar company. I'm as surprised as you are!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
From a security perspective, senior people doing weird things is always a red flag. They may be less likely to do something stupid but that means they may be more success doing something intentionally malicious.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been doing IT since he was in diapers! I'll show that little poo poo!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I am also a senior engineer at a billion dollar company. I'm as surprised as you are!

Also: I used to be a poo poo to call center folks thinking I was being all clever until I was castigated for it in these very threads. I no longer do this.

These threads are your friend as the default setting. If you are feeling like Frankenstein’s monster lashing out against the pitchfork-and-torches wielding mob, you might want to look inwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Work does suck, though. Of that we can all agree.