Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

what happens to the balls when you score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that's my acid creek

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ruggan posted:

Don't worry, it's not plastic pollution. Tennis balls are made of rubber and felt

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ty 4 replacing some microplastics with a macroplastic

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

keep Austin weird (with hundreds of thousands of gallons of sulphuric acid)

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Egg Moron posted:

This bitch ain't ever tipping over.

Oil has peaked, capital is almost entirely fictitious, there was a dang cheeto in the white house, the climate has changed

And still I have to go to motherfucking work

Rest assured, when there are live firefights in the streets as a matter of course we will still have to go to motherfucking work!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ah now THIS is the sort of high grade, undeniable doom i came back to this thread for. just devastation on an utterly incomprehensible scale

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

there are going to be so many articles discussing tipping points that were years ago in the coming years and i am going to love every one of them

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
leaning on the big lever that says 'caution acid floodgate' and making a little oopsies in a major city

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
What you mean we shouldnt have a system where our acid waste can easily mix into the "ok" waste we just dump in the river?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the acid waste article links to a new factory that Intel is building in Ohio and normally I'd be against this but it's in New Albany, Wes Lexner's fiefdom

it would be very funny if the town built by the man who funded Jeffrey Epstein became a pee pee soaked heck hole

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Femur posted:

Thats smart business. They took plastic they cant get rid of and openly threw it in the ocean to applause, and probably tax breaks. Simply genius.

they should frack with plastic

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lol shifting gears from "we've got until 2100 to turn this around" to "the point of no return is in the rear-view mirror" so quickly that the engine shoots through the hood and kills the last bluefin.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

frog in a pot

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Capitalism is a well-oiled machine

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I went off my pills (SSRIs) a while back and was doing really well, and I can tell I'm definitely not anymore since I got the urge to catch up on this shitshow for the first time in months.

Now I'm remembering how in the middle of december my area had 70 degree weather and a flurry of tornado warnings.

lol, lmao

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
the cool thing about climate change is you don't have to keep up with it, it'll catch up to you eventually

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Ruggan posted:

I don't know about those balls but I can tell you about mine when I score.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I think I'm gonna stock up on fish while I can.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

We hit peak oil more or less as predicted. We started squeezing out more oil by using new technologies and going after inferior sources like shale.
Peak oil never meant running out. It means that it gets more and more expensive as you've gotten all the easy oil and move on to harder sources. I think most of the US shale operations are only marginally profitable, even if they do produce a lot.

The problem is that our society was built on cheap oil. One could argue that money isn't real, but you can think of it in terms of energy return on investment.

To use an example, imagine if your food started getting more expensive. There's still enough of it. You can buy all you need, but it takes a larger and larger share of your income, so other things in your budget suffer.

One could argue that we've been using monetary policy to paper over the cracks since the 70s and the end of cheap oil will gently caress us any day now, but that's true of a lot of things. Just like we were already hosed from climate change decades ago, the cheap oil society from 1940 to 1970 is already dead and just doesn't know it yet.

peak oil never meant running out, nor does it mean a monetary deficit. last i checked fracking isn't profitable at all.

we'll never 'run out' of oil, and we'll have to burn money to keep getting it for as long as possible. what we will eventually run out of is oil that is thermodynamically accessible. which is to say that it once it costs more energy to get oil than the oil can itself produce, we're in for a wild ride.

the oil cliff is a thermodynamic certainty, it's just a matter of when.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

The Wisest Moron posted:

I don't know about those balls but I can tell you about mine when I score.

The Wisest Moron posted:

I think I'm gonna stock up on fish while I can.

...you fuckin' those fish?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The idea of burning 100kg of oil to make 90kg of oil, pumping CO2 into the air all the while, is incredibly stupid and therefore I’m certain will happen. At least for a little bit due to societal inertia.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK2YLebKgwE

:patriot: don't give in to the darkness

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

unwantedplatypus posted:

The idea of burning 100kg of oil to make 90kg of oil, pumping CO2 into the air all the while, is incredibly stupid and therefore I’m certain will happen. At least for a little bit due to societal inertia.

i'm reminded of some stupid image for a plan to build nuclear plants to produce steam to inject into the oil sands to be able to pump out that delicious garbage grade oil

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Ruggan posted:

Dolphin Golfin, coming this summer from Adidas

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i'm reminded of some stupid image for a plan to build nuclear plants to produce steam to inject into the oil sands to be able to pump out that delicious garbage grade oil

or just more directly, building nuke plants to produce the 100kg-equivalent of energy to run pumps, just to produce 90kg of oil at a subsidized energy loss.

the good news: we’d finally be building nuke plants!
the bad news: we used that power to double our oil production.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Capitalism is a well-oiled machine

I see what you did there and it owns

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

just going down to the local river to acid wash my jeans

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I can’t sleep bc I’m staring at the ceiling thinking about a river as acidic as grapefruit juice or vinegar

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

it's too much to ask a species to think global or long term. democracy would never work. the future must only be empires and queens!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ah now THIS is the sort of high grade, undeniable doom i came back to this thread for. just devastation on an utterly incomprehensible scale

What I like about the ocean warming tipping point in 2014 being followed by the ocean deoxygenation tipping point being in 2021 is all of the smug victory laps people who don't believe climate change is bad were taking last year.

When those articles about the ocean warming earlier than we predicted started circulating a bunch of people were making greta thunberg memes and clapping and cheering about how climate change was finally proven to be a hoax. Because ocean warm before industry. Therefore all warm not industry.

More of that caveman logic and the reason we were always hosed. Sure, coming off of the little ice age the ocean was generally trending warmer. That's on top of our greenhouse gas emissions. Just like the natural methane plumes bursting out of thawed permafrost and ocean floors is natural but most of our population sits down, does some math and deduces that natural methane means methane not problem. If methane exist before then why methane suddenly problem? Ocean get warm before so why warm suddenly problem?

I think the people that are still going to crack ping over the environment are running out of road at this point. We don't yet know how the deoxygenation, thwaites, a blue ocean event and warming tipping points are going to come together to gently caress fish, weather patterns and coastal infrastructure but we know it's accelerating and we don't have 80 years of stability anymore.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

I can’t sleep bc I’m staring at the ceiling thinking about a river as acidic as grapefruit juice or vinegar
no no, it’s german for “adult fish the”

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

Rest assured, when there are live firefights in the streets as a matter of course we will still have to go to motherfucking work!

It’s funny because this morning I heard 4 clear gunshots, saw a few people running towards me but didn’t break step on my way to the bus stop.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

everyone should give into the existential darkness, ASAP

(this was fun though, thanks)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

don't forget powering massive refrigeration units to keep ice stable to pump oil out of the frozen tundras

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
don't worry everyone, i've had top goon minds over the years reassure me that peak oil isn't real, so don't worry about it :)

if you're some kind of demented doombrain, however, this is a good article abstract that gets right at the crux of the issue. this also ties into my earlier post / image on how economies actually work.

quote:

All forms of economic production and exchange involve the use of energy directly and in the transformation of materials. Until recently, cheap and seemingly limitless fossil energy has allowed most of society to ignore the importance of contributions to the economic process from the biophysical world as well as the potential limits to growth. This paper centers on assessing the energy costs of modern day society and its relation to GDP. Our most important focus is the characteristics of our major energy sources including each fuel's energy return on investment (EROI). The EROI of our most important fuels is declining and most renewable and non-conventional energy alternatives have substantially lower EROI values than traditional conventional fossil fuels. At the societal level, declining EROI means that an increasing proportion of energy output and economic activity must be diverted to attaining the energy needed to run an economy, leaving less discretionary funds available for “non-essential” purchases which often drive growth. The declining EROI of traditional fossil fuel energy sources and the effect of that on the world economy are likely to result in a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Feb 2, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The declining EROI of traditional fossil fuel energy sources and the effect of that on the world economy are likely to result in a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.
the effect of that on the world economy are likely to result in a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.
a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.
most of which will not be perceived as good.
will not be perceived as good.
perceived as good.
good.

Beautiful.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The declining EROI of traditional fossil fuel energy sources and the effect of that on the world economy are likely to result in a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.
the effect of that on the world economy are likely to result in a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.
a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.
most of which will not be perceived as good.
will not be perceived as good.
perceived as good.
good.

Beautiful.

Some scientists are calling it the eradication of human life-sustaining ecology on earth. Others are more optimistic

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

lol shifting gears from "we've got until 2100 to turn this around" to "the point of no return is in the rear-view mirror" so quickly that the engine shoots through the hood and kills the last bluefin.

not my ancestral profession!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1488507880139640840

seems like a bad sign