Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Fallout: New Vegas: I'd like to nominate Searchlight Airport as the most disappointing location in the game. It's way out on the edge of the map, so you have to do quite a bit of hiking to get there, and it's next to Camp Searchlight, which is one of the more dangerous places in the Mojave; it's all fenced off and you get there through a cool debris tunnel; there's a control tower, a few buildings, some fuel tanks and wrecked planes. Some level designer took time putting this together, and it seems like it should have something important. But there are no enemies barring a few scorpions scattered across an empty plain, you can't enter any of the buildings, and in fact the only things you can interact with at all are... two suitcases with about ~1000 bottlecaps between them. :geno: That's it.

My God, we finally found DB Cooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Oxxidation posted:

this is pretty tasteless as jokes go

It's not a joke though? It was cool as hell and left a pretty good impression on 9 year old me. Barret's someone who saw that poo poo was hosed up and rounded up a ragtag band of people with basically nothing except their wits and pocket change to strike back against a seemingly invincible corporation that almost literally owned everything. Barret wasn't just some random follower in a larger organization, he WAS the organization. Any other game, and probably even Square today, would've made him some prettyboy white dude, maybe even a prince or the son of nobility or someshit, and it would've been worse for it

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
what game is the thread title from?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

moonmazed posted:

Corpse Fucker 4

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

moonmazed posted:

Indigo Prophecy.

Anyway I like how the quest entries for the quests you complete early in AC Odyssey are like "While wandering around, Kassandra/Alexios inadvertently took care of a problem that someone else was having, without realizing it."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

It's not a joke though? It was cool as hell and left a pretty good impression on 9 year old me. Barret's someone who saw that poo poo was hosed up and rounded up a ragtag band of people with basically nothing except their wits and pocket change to strike back against a seemingly invincible corporation that almost literally owned everything. Barret wasn't just some random follower in a larger organization, he WAS the organization. Any other game, and probably even Square today, would've made him some prettyboy white dude, maybe even a prince or the son of nobility or someshit, and it would've been worse for it

nine year old you probably missed the part where he confesses that he was just ineffectually lashing out over his hometown being destroyed, then

FF7R gives him an actual ideological basis for his actions that also makes him stand apart from and above the "real" AVALANCHE and feeds into the larger environmentalist messaging, which is a considerable improvement on "DIVERSITY WINS: this foulmouthed bumbling terrorist is a BLACK GUY"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the thing dragging FF7R down is that people can't stop comparing it to the original game, or more specifically, their hazy memories of the original game from when they were still in junior high

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Technically I think it has it twice over, because there's two very different Minotaurs to deal with in whatever order you want.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Oxxidation posted:

nine year old you probably missed the part where he confesses that he was just ineffectually lashing out over his hometown being destroyed, then

FF7R gives him an actual ideological basis for his actions that also makes him stand apart from and above the "real" AVALANCHE and feeds into the larger environmentalist messaging, which is a considerable improvement on "DIVERSITY WINS: this foulmouthed bumbling terrorist is a BLACK GUY"

In fairness, that part was close to the end of the game, so they might be retaining that part and just haven't gotten to it yet.

But yeah, Barrett's character and resolute ideals is one of the highlights of the remake, and honestly it's a little weird that everything else about AVALANCHE was softened so that you can't possibly feel bad for siding with terrorists... except for Barrett, who's now loving hardline and scolds Tifa for feeling bad for Shinra's more innocent employees.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Morpheus posted:

Indigo Prophecy.

oh noooooo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Nah, that was a single throwaway line near the end of the game if you talked to him on the airship between certain events which almost felt like the devs had to put it in so his entire arc wasn't just "saving the planet with the power of incredible violence is good actually." It's him talking about how maybe he was misguided with how he went about trying to stop Shinra by force with Avalanche, except it comes right after you just went back to Midgar and killed every single executive who still had any power

I played the og FF7 recently and I still think it does a lot better than the remake. Barret always had an ideological basis for his actions. Yeah, he started off with a grudge against Shinra for what they did to his hometown, but he gets the idea to start Avalanche when he visits Cosmo Canyon, learns about the lifestream and the cycle of life, and realizes that Shinra is literally killing the planet with their reactors. Barret and Avalanche have always been motivated by environmentalism. The remake doesn't add anything on that front

I do appreciate the remake for fleshing out Barret's character and giving him more opportunity to demonstrate his motivation earlier, but it was all there in the original too

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Feb 2, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the thing dragging FF7R down is that people can't stop comparing it to the original game, or more specifically, their hazy memories of the original game from when they were still in junior high

Has to be better than the memories of all the Tifa hentai they perused and freaking out when VIImake Tifa didn't have breasts that composed 30% of her body mass.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Leal posted:

Has to be better than the memories of all the Tifa hentai they perused and freaking out when VIImake Tifa didn't have breasts that composed 30% of her body mass.

There's still hentai of remake Tifa, they watched it in the senate

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Waste of Breath posted:

Wow, those are some politicians I'd actually want to vote for!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waste of Breath posted:

i curse this blighted age, which makes such sentences possible

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Leal posted:

VIImake

Are you pronouncing this aloud? Is this to sound like "veemake"?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i curse this blighted age, which makes such sentences possible

The italian senate has a long tradition of people getting impaled.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Leal posted:

Wow, those are some politicians I'd actually want to vote for!

CloudxJessie or you don't get MY vote!!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Final Fantasy 7 is the story of one man struggling to cope with PTSD while being beset on all sides by horny women who can't see that he's still hung-up on that hunky dude from his army days that got murked.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Crowetron posted:

Final Fantasy 7 is the story of one man struggling to cope with PTSD while being beset on all sides by horny women who can't see that he's still hung-up on that hunky dude from his army days that got murked.

Cloud has always been a Chaotic Bisexual.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kit Walker posted:

Nah, that was a single throwaway line near the end of the game if you talked to him on the airship between certain events which almost felt like the devs had to put it in so his entire arc wasn't just "saving the planet with the power of incredible violence is good actually." It's him talking about how maybe he was misguided with how he went about trying to stop Shinra by force with Avalanche, except it comes right after you just went back to Midgar and killed every single executive who still had any power

I played the og FF7 recently and I still think it does a lot better than the remake. Barret always had an ideological basis for his actions. Yeah, he started off with a grudge against Shinra for what they did to his hometown, but he gets the idea to start Avalanche when he visits Cosmo Canyon, learns about the lifestream and the cycle of life, and realizes that Shinra is literally killing the planet with their reactors. Barret and Avalanche have always been motivated by environmentalism. The remake doesn't add anything on that front

I do appreciate the remake for fleshing out Barret's character and giving him more opportunity to demonstrate his motivation earlier, but it was all there in the original too
Yeah this. I replayed OG FF7 right after the remake and I still like it a lot more. I played both with my wife, who had never seen any FF7 before, and she also liked the original more. The remake is a bloated mess with countless scenes where people go "I AM A MUCH MORE FLESHED OUT CHARACTER NOW; IN THIS SCENE I WILL DEMONSTRATE THIS ADDED DEPTH". It's soulless and artificial as hell.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

moonmazed posted:

The grammar in that title is not what you'd expect, either!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I tried to watch Chip and Ironicus' LP and I love those guys but I completely checked out of it when Chip went into a second 45 minute video checking out all the incidental dialogue in an area and it was just the train stop in the slums and Sephiroth had showed up like three times

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I tried to watch Chip and Ironicus' LP and I love those guys but I completely checked out of it when Chip went into a second 45 minute video checking out all the incidental dialogue in an area and it was just the train stop in the slums and Sephiroth had showed up like three times

The innovative Sephiroth Everywhere system.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My Lovely Horse posted:

A great example of how, for a decent amount of people, the remake was the opposite of what they wanted. Initially there seemed to be this hope that it would exist as a new Final Fantasy VII separate from the baggage of the extended universe and iffy character interpretations like Kingdom Hearts.

Turns out that instead, they just incorporated all of that stuff into the game itself.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I watched the Chip and Ironicus LP (I tried to play the demo but I just don't think the combat is for me) and enjoyed it, but geez, all those side quests... Most of them seemed dull as hell, and the best things you'd get out of them were maybe a fun character moment with Aeris or a reference to a later game thing that might make you chuckle if you played the original. The ones in Wall Market were still good though.

The dungeons seemed way too long as well, though that might just be because Chip is super comprehensive with the stuff he shows off. Otherwise the game looked pretty good, unnecessary EU stuff notwithstanding.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh I had a hunch all the EU stuff was going to be in there, I was on the fence about the whole idea the entire time.

There is no way, absolutely no way in hell, if they even make any more of these, that reviving Aeris isn't a prominent sidequest. Absolutely none. Might even be on the critical path. Distinct outlier possibility that it's preorder DLC.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The dungeons seemed way too long as well, though that might just be because Chip is super comprehensive with the stuff he shows off. Otherwise the game looked pretty good, unnecessary EU stuff notwithstanding.

They definitely are way too long. A lot of dungeons in the remake were just 2-3 screens with a handful of random encounters in the original. The route to reactor 5, walking Aeris home, the journey to wall market, the sewers, the train graveyard, climbing the pillar, the route to shinra hq, shinra hq itself after meeting Hojo, etc. All of those sections became massive sprawling dungeons in the remake. And I’m certain I’m overlooking some. The only places that really might’ve counted as dungeons in the original were the reactors, but even those were fairly short and didn’t overstay their welcome. Fighting Guard Scorpion in the remake probably took longer than clearing the whole first reactor did in the original

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean, in the original game you could 100% Midgar in like 3 to 5 hours, people would've been pissed if that's how long the remake took to beat.
The remake was made from the angle that people wanted to spend a lot more time in Midgar because at the time it was a super original idea and concept and they probably wanted the game itself to be a a full game, self contained with its own climax and denouement despite being a small fraction of the original game

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh I had a hunch all the EU stuff was going to be in there, I was on the fence about the whole idea the entire time.
There is no way, absolutely no way in hell, if they even make any more of these, that reviving Aeris isn't a prominent sidequest.

I think the entire point of FF7: Remake and the probably two games to come will focus entirely on keeping Aerith alive, or bringing her back, or existing in a world where characters are supposed to be dead but they're not and eventually the two realities will -- you know what, here's how the entire thing will end:

There will be two realities, one where characters are dead, one where they're not. Cloud loves Aerith and Zack, but in order to save them he has to sacrifice himself to sever the two realities and stop them from canceling each other out. Cloud will die in a heroic way but then will come back conveniently by some deus ex machina at the very end because it's a fuckin Final Fantasy game.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

credburn posted:

I think the entire point of FF7: Remake and the probably two games to come will focus entirely on keeping Aerith alive, or bringing her back, or existing in a world where characters are supposed to be dead but they're not and eventually the two realities will -- you know what, here's how the entire thing will end:

There will be two realities, one where characters are dead, one where they're not. Cloud loves Aerith and Zack, but in order to save them he has to sacrifice himself to sever the two realities and stop them from canceling each other out. Cloud will die in a heroic way but then will come back conveniently by some deus ex machina at the very end because it's a fuckin Final Fantasy game.

The absolute :discourse: thing would be to have Cloud do this by (FF7 spoilers)entering the Lifestream and after the credits role it plays the scene of Cloud waking up later on in that hospital bed in FF7 complete in its PSX era graphics

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This all leads into the FF7: 3Make for the PS7 where now Cloud has gone on to create an alternate universe to change things and kill Sephiroth from the start.

E: Or is FF7: R3make better?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Cloud Returns: FF73-make

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Getting on a bit better with God of War after hitting the first upgrade shop although I have also just reached the bit with the boar and quietly chuckled to myself thinking if this really is a God of War game that tree tortoise is not long for this world

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

credburn posted:

Remake already taunts you with her death, they should have the second game be entirely Cloud desperately trying to find some way to manipulate events to keep her alive. And failing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cloud has to travel back in time and become Sephiroth to prevent a time paradox that would destroy the world. What was, will be.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Something I just realized I had enough of is sequences in action-y games where you're sick/hallucinating, so your vision and movement are off, and you stop every 20 seconds to barf. Far Cry 6 has pulled this out a couple times now, one of them even with constant health drain. It's just stupid and annoying from a gameplay perspective, I've never enjoyed it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something I just realized I had enough of is sequences in action-y games where you're sick/hallucinating, so your vision and movement are off, and you stop every 20 seconds to barf. Far Cry 6 has pulled this out a couple times now, one of them even with constant health drain. It's just stupid and annoying from a gameplay perspective, I've never enjoyed it.

Revengeance does this the best (it's very brief, only happens once, and leads to a hugely satisfying narrative moment) and even at its best this mechanical gimmick huffs nuts. I feel like it's less common than it was in the previous generation, though.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I liked it in Human Revolution when you got the hosed up chip and that got used against you before a boss, but that didn't mess with your movement.

The worst one was the one in Nier: Automata, that one was a massive pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

moosecow333 posted:

I liked it in Human Revolution when you got the hosed up chip and that got used against you before a boss, but that didn't mess with your movement.

This one was good because it's heavily telegraphed and you would never agree to it unless you were skipping past all the story dialogue completely. Took it anyway just to see how big of a mistake it would be and it crippled me enough that I had to drag an automatic turret through the whole level and down to the boss arena to beat him.