Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hope it's not coming off that I'm dumping on Kaladin or his perspective at all, clearly Sanderson's done his homework and it's cool to see it's resonated with others. Think I read.. 8? 9? or so Sanderson books straight, then went into Expanse book 9 and was really thrown off by how tight and succinct the writing was in there, so revisiting Stormlight I'm kinda annoyed by how wordy everything is in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

+1 on the Kaladin team, as a brainworms-haver myself I laughed at the part early in RoW where Syl basically asks him, "Have you tried not being sad?" because drat if we all haven't heard that one before

I don't like that the cosmere's magical healing explicitly works on a 'if you don't WANT to be healed enough you don't get healed' basis. Kaladin doesn't get cured of his scars because he wants the pain, so there's a nasty subtext when we see the same thing doesn't cure Kaladin of his bad brain chemicals.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Adolin is the best bro and best husband and is just all around an amazing guy

I'm afraid what's going to happen to him :ohdear:

Edit:

Tunicate posted:

I don't like that the cosmere's magical healing explicitly works on a 'if you don't WANT to be healed enough you don't get healed' basis. Kaladin doesn't get cured of his scars because he wants the pain, so there's a nasty subtext when we see the same thing doesn't cure Kaladin of his bad brain chemicals.

I think that's a poor interpretation. It's that the magic shapes you however you view yourself. Someone in a self-hating depressive funk is going to still hate themselves. "Just think of yourself as a person that doesn't hate themselves" seems like another version of "why don't you just stop being sad all the time?"

In fact I think that's what's implied by Syl's naive question. She knows theoretically he could be "fixed" but brains don't work like that

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 2, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

lol what's the alternative though, stormlight just cures mental illness? that sounds like a significantly worse plot than the "it could grow back your brain but it's not going to correct your serotonin levels and poo poo" status quo

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
With enough investiture it reshapes you into what your vision of yourself is.

So if your vision of yourself is busted, you can’t fix yourself.

Brandon is fairly consistent on this point even if it has some unpleasant side effects. It does raise questions about if someone else can change your brain if they can overpower your investiture.

Which leads to the conceptually odd space of “Right in order to cure your mental illness/pipe through your head, I first have to stab you with this aluminium knife.”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

lol what's the alternative though, stormlight just cures mental illness? that sounds like a significantly worse plot than the "it could grow back your brain but it's not going to correct your serotonin levels and poo poo" status quo

Maybe don't make stormlight an omnicapable panacea capable of curing all sicknesses, regrowing brains, and even regrowing limbs years later if you believe hard enough, to begin with.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

personally i think a "stormlight cures autism and removes everyone's depression and fixes trauma-induced psychological issues" novel would suck while, on the other hand, "stormlight makes your physical body near unkillable" is cool and fun

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 2, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ROW was just ugh. Cut out half of it, put in Dawnshard, way more Adolin, and no more Shallan personality stuff and you got a good book.

E: oh and retcon delete Venli and just make her Eshonai.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Barreft posted:

ROW was just ugh. Cut out half of it, put in Dawnshard, way more Adolin, and no more Shallan personality stuff and you got a good book.

E: oh and retcon delete Venli and just make her Eshonai.

More like un-retcon Eshonai's death and use her as intended. He got skittish after bringing back Szeth.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
And get rid of the person who convinced him to kill eshonai I the first place because she’d have made an amazing POV character and redemption arc.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Evil Fluffy posted:

And get rid of the person who convinced him to kill eshonai I the first place because she’d have made an amazing POV character and redemption arc.

Eshonai did nothing wrong and needs no redemption arc.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

stramit posted:

It's true. Everyone else was wrong.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Sanderson did a live signing stream yesterday and did a live Q&A along with it, and answered some juice questions about Stormlight, era 3 of Mistborn and sequels to Warbreaker and Elantris. Was a great background listen and got me excited for the books we'll probably not see for another 10 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtBuxqf_6zg

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

stramit posted:

Eshonai, like Marsh and Moash. made the mistake of getting mind controlled.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How big of spoilers is this poo poo y’all are talking about? I haven’t started Stormlight, so it sucks that people just openly talk about characters that die!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

How big of spoilers is this poo poo y’all are talking about? I haven’t started Stormlight, so it sucks that people just openly talk about characters that die!!

Death is a bit nebulous in Stormlight so you're not being spoiled that much, if at all. I'd venture to say you'll forget just about all of this as you'll be too busy putting faces to names and understanding the world.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Excuse me? How was Marsh Moash being mind controlled? you can say that Odium gave him supernatural psychedelics to numb his pain, but I don't see any mind control. In clear contrast to Eshonai and Moash Marsh.

But I agree that Eshonai did nothing wrong. Too bad that it's a moot point, since she obviously moved on beyond even the faintest hope of resurrection. So we're stuck with Venli :(

Edit: Mixed up my names!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 3, 2022

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Excuse me? How was Marsh being mind controlled? you can say that Odium gave him supernatural psychedelics to numb his pain, but I don't see any mind control. In clear contrast to Eshonai and Moash.

But I agree that Eshonai did nothing wrong. Too bad that it's a moot point, since she obviously moved on beyond even the faintest hope of resurrection. So we're stuck with Venli :(

I think you got some names mixed up. Marsh was 100% mind controlled by ruin for years. Moash just got a little nudge from Odium.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Excuse me? How was Marsh being mind controlled? you can say that Odium gave him supernatural psychedelics to numb his pain, but I don't see any mind control. In clear contrast to Eshonai and Moash.

moash gets hijacked between OB and RoW in a pretty blatant way, to the point that even odium doesn't really understand what's going on with him

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

moash gets hijacked between OB and RoW in a pretty blatant way, to the point that even odium doesn't really understand what's going on with him

Yeah Moash is super hosed up somehow, way more than other odium followers

I will absolutely not be surprised if it turns out there's an Unmade or something influencing him, his encounter early in RoW with Kaladin makes it seem like he legit has some kind of aura that affects others (and Renarin is able to cut through)

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Tunicate posted:

I don't really see it as "healing" though, more like remaking your body to what your mind sees as its "ideal state".

Which is why autism/depression/whatever are not "healed", at least not if the surgebinder sees it as part of his personnality.
If a surgebinder learns his mental illness is a chemical imbalance in the brain, he could probably fix it.

There are other cosmere magic systems where intent is a big deal too.

But I mean, I see your point, and I'm not sure what happens if a surgebinder is a furry chasmfiend.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

Yeah Moash is super hosed up somehow, way more than other odium followers

I will absolutely not be surprised if it turns out there's an Unmade or something influencing him, his encounter early in RoW with Kaladin makes it seem like he legit has some kind of aura that affects others (and Renarin is able to cut through)

Sja-Anat? It would be in line with how she's able to mess with Odium's forces, and presumably Renarin/Glys being also corrupted/enlightened would have an effect too

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

There's definitely something screwy going on with Moash, but it doesn't matter. Whatever Eshonai and Marsh did that was bad, they did while being mind controlled. Moash has zero supernatural excuses for some of his worst hits, like betraying Kaladin and killing Elkohar. Not that he doesn't have some real reasons to hate Elkohar in particular, but most people soured on Moash before RoW came out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

There's definitely something screwy going on with Moash, but it doesn't matter. Whatever Eshonai and Marsh did that was bad, they did while being mind controlled. Moash has zero supernatural excuses for some of his worst hits, like betraying Kaladin and killing Elkohar. Not that he doesn't have some real reasons to hate Elkohar in particular, but most people soured on Moash before RoW came out.

Elhokar committed genocide because he was upset about his dead dad. If he gets a pass for killing a hundred thousand listeners who weren't responsible for Gavilar's death, Moash gets a pass for killing the one person directly responsible for the deaths of both people who raised him.

And if Elhokar doesn't get a pass for the mountain of corpses he produced for his own selfish interests, then Moash should be lauded for finally delivering justice to this mass-murderer.

And Kaladin 100% betrayed Moash first. He went up to Moash's friends and told them he was still on their side and that he had an important message, then when they trusted him and let their guard down he killed them both in a cowardly sneak-attack. Then, still dripping with their blood, he goes to Moash and claims that he would never kill anyone in an underhanded way.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what if they're all bad

God is dead, hail Satan the ones who came before

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 3, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I dunno if this was posted, was just uploaded today. really good Stormlight/cosmere spoilers, even some Wheel of Time stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJSK0hwsqfA

Serf
May 5, 2011

I was looking at cards from the new Magic The Gathering set and the art on this one sure reminds me of a certain sword I've read about.

Also I read Secret History and I did not see any of that coming, but I guess it does explain who the Sovereign is. Super interested in the next Wax and Wayne book now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Serf posted:

Also I read Secret History and I did not see any of that coming, but I guess it does explain who the Sovereign is. Super interested in the next Wax and Wayne book now.

you've read all the mistborn and stormlight books now, right? because at the end of RoW we also learn the identity of another person...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Serf posted:

RoW and all Mistborn books spoiler:Did you figure out who Thaidakar is? Because it's very possible to do so with the information you possess now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I have read all of Stormlight and Mistborn at this point and still had no idea so I just googled the character. The spoiler warning they have on that article isn't quite as all-encompassing as it should be lol. I still had to google more to figure out how people had made that connection and now I'm not surprised. I wasn't gonna remember an offhanded comment Wit made in a book I read like 8 months ago. I get it now, but I'm very curious to get the details of what exactly happened.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I find it kinda interesting that Wax & Wayne 4 takes place 6 years after W&W3.

Do the Stormlight books have large time leaps between each novel? The other W&W books were like 6mo to a year between each. And I think the Era 1 Mistborn trilogy was like 12-18 months between each.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mordiceius posted:

I find it kinda interesting that Wax & Wayne 4 takes place 6 years after W&W3.

Do the Stormlight books have large time leaps between each novel? The other W&W books were like 6mo to a year between each. And I think the Era 1 Mistborn trilogy was like 12-18 months between each.

If I remember correct the only one with a meaningful time skip was 3->4 which was a year. There's a big time skip planner between the end of the first half and the start of the second half 5->6 and also a big gap in release time too

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I don't know if anyone else listened to The Lost Metal Chapter 1 posted on his youtube channel. Here were my takeaways -

Wax had kids! That's gonna be interesting.

Marasi and Wayne working together should be fun.

Seems like southern Scandriel will have a decent focus. I wonder if Wax will travel there.

Unfortunately, this is how I also learned that Brandon is not a good reader.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Brandon has an extremely bad case of Goon Voice, sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The first time I heard him speak I was like, "Huh I don't know why I didn't expect a turbonerd kinda voice"

I've tried listening to his readings before, but I just can't focus on it. Subtitles would help but I assume YouTube's autogenerated ones won't handle fantasy proper nouns very well. Then I could just mute the video :haw:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Brandon's spren bonded him because he repeatedly had his lunch money stolen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

External Organs posted:

Brandon has an extremely bad case of Goon Voice, sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Oh, I know what he sounds like. I listen to his channel a lot and I listen to Intentionally Blank. He’s just not a good reader. He just stumbled over himself a lot as he reads aloud.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think the only extended bit of speaking I've heard from him was his video game countdown and he sounded fine there to me

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The video where he was just talking about the WoT show while signing a comically large stack of sheets for his new book signing was the first time I didn't really notice his voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't mind his voice, like I really enjoy his & Dan's podcast. I just wouldn't commission him to do an audiobook is all