Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah that lemond looks exactly how I imagine an e bike should look

Lol @ $4700 bike, $17.00 pedals

I feel like for $4700 I'll just buy my own carbon fiber and epoxy, Panasonic 18650 batteries and build the bike I want. If that lemond was $2999 that would be the bike for me

Why are ebikes so drat ugly

They're not ugly - but then buy this stylized and in your price range.

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US/s3?color=dark

There are plenty of very stylized e-bikes out there, but the issue is they become more difficult to access the battery - hence the general form you see from rad power et. al.

Anyway - this is $2300 - in your price range.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Wait is LC calling the Creo a CX bike??

gently caress no

I was calling the specialized cyclocross bike a cyclocross bike

you know, the one I directly linked to, twice.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

learnincurve posted:

there are a couple of other drop bar bikes on there, if you sign up for newsletter and get the code you get 15% off buying direct

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/turbo-creo-sl

Friend of mine had the older version in yellow with a slightly bigger battery, imported from mainland Europe, 12kg 200 mile range and was like actually wearing a bike it was that well-balanced - feels like they are using bits of the electronics as ballast to get the stability right.

learnincurve posted:

gently caress no

I'm confused here.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

learnincurve posted:

gently caress no

To be fair, the Specialized page for the Turbo Creo shoes them riding it on dirt and such, but it's not a CX bike. The Crux is their CX bike but it does not come with a motor

But, you keep linking the Turbo Creo SL which seems a bit more like a All Road/Gravel bike, and in any case it starts at $6k USD so I don't know why you linked it in the first place and made a fuss about it?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Because it’s very annoying to read someone come in here and be so hostile towards ebikes, it’s ignorant posturing that does a massive disservice to the people in the ebike thread who could very easily find him what he wants or walk him through his first build. Which isn’t as easy as just slapping a battery and hub on.

I barely know poo poo and could remember at least one brand who do good looking drop bar ebikes, imagine what well informed people know.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Panaracer, can you please make the tires listed in your catalog please?

I want that 650x38b gravelking ss. Doubly so because the 40mm terravail cannonball is also out of stock.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

CopperHound posted:

I want that 650x38b gravelking ss. Doubly so because the 40mm terravail cannonball is also out of stock.

Panaracer truly didn't have the capacity to respond to the high demand since 2020 and nothing's been available in a timely way. They, understandably, have been focusing on more popular SKUs, which I've seen from basically every manufacturer.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I thought the 650x38 wasn't available with puncture band - is the SS version enough thicker that it's okay? I fuggin hate the non-puncture-resist gravelking slicks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Because it’s very annoying to read someone come in here and be so hostile towards ebikes, it’s ignorant posturing that does a massive disservice to the people in the ebike thread who could very easily find him what he wants or walk him through his first build. Which isn’t as easy as just slapping a battery and hub on.

I barely know poo poo and could remember at least one brand who do good looking drop bar ebikes, imagine what well informed people know.

Someone pointed out that there's an ebike thread and I immediately went over there and asked basically the same question :shrug:

Then several people in this thread responded, so I'm engaging them since so far over gotten better examples here than the other thread

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

CopperHound posted:

650x40 Terra Speeds maybe?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

I fuggin hate the non-puncture-resist gravelking slicks.
I don't mind them, I just want a little bit of side knob with mostly smooth center.

TobinHatesYou posted:

650x40 Terra Speeds maybe?
Do those measure wide like other Continentals? 'Cause I'm living life on the edge right here.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

learnincurve posted:

what the actual gently caress are you talking about

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

CopperHound posted:

I don't mind them, I just want a little bit of side knob with mostly smooth center.

Do those measure wide like other Continentals? 'Cause I'm living life on the edge right here.

No experience with the 650b versions, but the 700c versions are true-to-size or slightly narrow depending on tire pressure when mounted to a 21mm rim.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CopperHound posted:

is that crank...normal?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you referring to a square taper crank, or am I missing something

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hadlock posted:

Are you referring to a square taper crank, or am I missing something

it's been a long time since I've had a bike with a square taper crank that I couldn't remember if there's supposed to be that much of a gap between the crank arm and the BB

and I guess that is normal. wow really just could not remember that's how they look

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

SimonSays posted:

Panaracer truly didn't have the capacity to respond to the high demand since 2020 and nothing's been available in a timely way. They, understandably, have been focusing on more popular SKUs, which I've seen from basically every manufacturer.

This and I think they have huge problems with covid too. Their hybrid/city tires (which are good for what they are) haven't been available in a long time and they can't say when they'll have more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jestery posted:

With the 25km/h assist cut off here I'm really not too excited about getting an ebike

Not saying others can't enjoy them, but I tend to cruise around 20-30 for my cycling into the city and back so I would genuinely see little advantage to the tech for myself personally,
Long hills are really where you lose time on a regular bike. There's a fairly mild bridge here that I have to work pretty hard to crest at 15mph, and it would be a breeze with even 100W of assist.

quote:

More power to the ebike people, they absolutely have their place in the diaspora but I wonder how many would be served just as well by a good quality bicycle with a wide range and experience re:gears and pacing?
Ebikes definitely serve to shorten commuting times if hills are involved. The big extra cost amortizes reasonably if the alternative is a car.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
All the watts the motor makes up for are less heat you generate also. I'm sweating buckets when I get to work in summer and need to shower, whilst all the ebikers get there just as quickly and can wear whatever they like.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Ebikes are very much "it doesn't go faster, it just gets easier"

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
E-bikes are good because it gets more people on bikes and more people on bikes is good. There is no wrong bike.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone had a wahoo tickr stop reporting heart rate to devices? i assumed it needed a new battery but problem persists even with a new one. it connects, but transmits no data regarding heart rate. i've unpaired and repaired it to the same result.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

learnincurve posted:

gently caress no

You linked to the Creo twice and now you’re saying you didn’t? Are you ok?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone had a wahoo tickr stop reporting heart rate to devices? i assumed it needed a new battery but problem persists even with a new one. it connects, but transmits no data regarding heart rate. i've unpaired and repaired it to the same result.

Damaged strap/sensors?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

BraveUlysses posted:

I just had this problem and thought the same thing at first. Much like MetaJew said, getting a replacement strap (any generic whatever is fine) fixed it up completely.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BraveUlysses posted:

Handwash (or at least rinse) your strap after every ride and it will last longer. My Polar soft strap lasts forever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i wash it semi regularly...maybe i'll try cleaning the contacts with iso and see if that works

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

kimbo305 posted:

Long hills are really where you lose time on a regular bike. There's a fairly mild bridge here that I have to work pretty hard to crest at 15mph, and it would be a breeze with even 100W of assist.

Ebikes definitely serve to shorten commuting times if hills are involved. The big extra cost amortizes reasonably if the alternative is a car.

No doubt, I'm speaking entirely from a subjective , my opinion only , perspective

My main route into the city has maybe 3-4 short Hills each way, and nothing too intimidating , I see families on them fairly regularly.

My philosophy towards systems is to always focus on any added complexity to a system, like I love the idea of an e-bike. But it comes hand in hand with an eco system of batteries and having to find a place to charge, sort out charge times, more difficult to service etc etc. If there was ever any argument to whether bikes were a vehicle, e-bikes certainly are and have a slightly different mindset for it. As you say, it's an alternative to a car coming with more important scheduals of servicing and life impact due to theft

My favourite thing about my analogue bike is that I can just get on it with sandals and in a second I'm halfway down the road at 20km an hour , not that you can't do that with an e-bike, but now there is an extra step to get the most out of your purchase

Again if it works, more power to them,they are clearly better organised than I. I am genuinely glad they have ditched the car and found active travel rewarding, just personally, I'm wary of added complexity for its own sake

....And yes a side of fries with a thick shake too please....

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I am at the fitters, they actually came out to pick me up as the taxi never showed. So far they note that the bike seems small for me and most of my weight is towards the back and not going forward enough, so they've adjusted the seat a little. We're trying out new handle bar arrangements to change where my hands go so my elbows can be more loose. But it seems like the main issue is I'm sitting upright and not leaning forward enough but also my elbows are locked? Sounds like a couple of things.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
"Sounds like a couple of things."
Not really if you lean forward you can't continue to hold the bars without bending your elbows.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
A few weeks back there were a few posting about Fairlight bicycles. I said I ordered one, it now looks like they are starting to build it soon!
So thats from last June to February! I'll update the Show Us Your Bicycle thread when it comes in.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Sab0921 posted:

Looking into one of these for my gf too for commuting in the city.

I live in Amsterdam and see them around constantly.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Dictator. posted:

Looking into one of these for my gf too for commuting in the city.

I live in Amsterdam and see them around constantly.

I am extremely jealous of the cycling infrastructure you get to use on a daily basis.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jestery posted:

With the 25km/h assist cut off here I'm really not too excited about getting an ebike

Not saying others can't enjoy them, but I tend to cruise around 20-30 for my cycling into the city and back so I would genuinely see little advantage to the tech for myself personally, atleast not one worth the couple grand price tag

More power to the ebike people, they absolutely have their place in the diaspora but I wonder how many would be served just as well by a good quality bicycle with a wide range and experience re:gears and pacing?
Canada has the best ebike regs (basically like the EU, but with 32kph cutoff) but once you start looking at the physics of bike collisions 25kph legit looks more reasonable.

kimbo305 posted:

What (pedelec, 25kph) ebikes get you IMO:
1) no more hills
2) no more cargo weight
3) no more sweat (this also makes rainy day rides way more tolerable)

Jestery posted:

I'm going on a local community protest(?) Ride in a few weeks

The council has been dragging their heels finishing up a bikeways project, so a group of families and local cyclists are utilising critical mass principles to ride the projected route. We have a strong enough cycling culture in the area that the attendees won't just be weird bearded dudes with hi vis panniers but also full families on bakfiets and daily commutors

Will be fun? Hopefully, my first group ride
Social rides are the best. I do safety on our yearly mass-like event and it's always *so* much fun. Our event is also kinda cargo/kids centric so everyone gets to try weird long-johns and tricycles and minds are blown every time.

Sab0921 posted:

I've ridden one of those. The motor is kinda anemic, and lags on take-off (they give you a throttle-like button but it doesn't work from a stop), The automatic hub is kinda meh. It's got great security (alarm and lock can be enable with a single button, no need to pull your phone out). The non-removable battery is A Thing you need to keep in mind.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 4, 2022

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

evil_bunnY posted:

I've ridden one of those. The motor is kinda anemic, and lags on take-off (they give you a throttle-like button but it doesn't work from a stop), The automatic hub is kinda meh. It's got great security (alarm and lock can be enable with a single button, no need to pull your phone out). The non-removable battery is A Thing you need to keep in mind.

It also makes a cool noise when you unlock it, so by far the best choice

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

thanks for the recommendation to check that site...you are definitely right, that bike is very upright seating position.

i'm 6'4", pretty long inseam (33W by 36inseam pans) and shorter torso.

i'll keep looking i guess. not in a rush so i'll hold out for something else.

alright how about this one?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bop/d/granite-falls-2017-focus-cayo-700c/7441460562.html

i can live with rim brakes for a non-winter bike, looks to be in good condition too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Focus frames from the mid 2010s are low-key awesome.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

$375 for a Focus frameset of that era with the post, stem, and a BB with replaceable bearings is a solid deal to me

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
That focus bike has more reasonable geometry, reach is a little longer than most bikes in an XL /60cm frame, but easily adjusted for by using compact bars.

Good to see the steerer isn’t slammed and cut too.

If your arms are not reasonably long I’d be tempted to go for a smaller size, as sounds like you’re mostly leg.

I’m 6’5”, the opposite proportions at only 90cm cycling inseam, and ride a bike with the same stack and slightly less reach at 405mm (but a donger stem).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wooger posted:

donger stem

Make sure you get the Silca computer mount for your donger stem