Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PhazonLink posted:

i dont understand, i thought the new dumbass was just minting album art or whatever related art, theyre also stealing and minting music?

so its a url thats just a music file? also arent audio files generally bigger than image files so minting an nft is more expensive??

They're not minting anything. It's literally just procedurally generated pages based off some 3rd party music catalog service and you buy the "NFTs" with your credit card aka they don't even exist on a blockchain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Barreft posted:

Greed is great

Log posted:

It's better than bad, it's good!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

You gotta squeeze the poo poo out of this stone before it's regulated. And lo and behold there's infinite dumbass stones to squeeze.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I mean obviously its still a scam either way, but definitely they just steal your card details. The funniest part about crypto is that every crypto idea is better if you just remove the blockchain from it, including the scams.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you steal a credit card and use it that's definitely illegal and you can be prosecuted. Stealing an NFT/Bitcoin is probably not illegal because they don't exist and are, actually, nothing.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

jokes posted:

If you steal a credit card and use it that's definitely illegal and you can be prosecuted. Stealing an NFT/Bitcoin is probably not illegal because they don't exist and are, actually, nothing.

Thinking about all the times I've read about people calling the police after getting robbed/scammed out of video game items.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

jokes posted:

Let them steal everything from these idiots, at this point I really don't care.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The scams make crypto look bad which is good.

Because it is bad, because of the scams.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Salt Fish posted:

I mean obviously its still a scam either way, but definitely they just steal your card details. The funniest part about crypto is that every crypto idea is better if you just remove the blockchain from it, including the scams.

Is it even a scam? Looking at the site, they are just linking to the Spotify CDN for the image and they really aren't selling you anything? I'm not saying it isn't unethical as gently caress, but they are basically just selling data that was made public, I don't know what the crime is here besides the buyer being an idiot.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

What is this insane bullshit by Fidelity

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Hello Sailor posted:

You're honestly not sure about that? Pick the hellworld option: it uses all its info on you, all the time, and "forgets" you're not interested in alt-right gateway videos about once a week.

Look, I'm sure they're tracking and storing everything they can, but there's definitely some difference in the way the search results are personalised, because I can see with my own eyes that the front page of youtube is full of nothing I've ever clicked on (Mr Beast, pop videos, random viral tiktoks) and searching for "NFT" in private and Non-private gives me different results . I'm using firefox with privacy badger, ublock origin and ghostery. So maybe that helps.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Absolutely, and I have done the same! I'm not even Catholic, and have a bit of trouble with the veneration of relics like that (imo seems awful close to worship of an idol, which I understand the apologetics surrounding them, but I'm much too Southern Protestant to fully believe!). I am still respectful, just as I was when my sister converted to Catholicism for her husband, and I wouldn't bring bacon into a temple or mosque. I have some thirty-ish year old pictures of theCin Kawasaki from 1989 and I didn't flay the heathens there, either (got super drunk with my Steel Penis cup, which was wild 'cause I was 14 and in public :boobeer:). The souvenirs vendors were proto-NFT marketers, I guess, but they kept my phallic cup full all loving day and I would visit a penisnft event with an open bar these days!

I don't see them as any different to crosses really, imbuing them with magical powers is a bit iffy though. It's more interesting that apart from the dried up corpses they're all fakes!
Holy relics are like NFTs and churches are like the blockchain in that they are immutable...until there is a disagreement and a large segment decide to fork.

Come to think of it, it all maps onto Christian religion quite well.
Satoshi is Jesus bringing the word to the people. The early adopters are your St Peters and Pauls. Bitcoin is the Catholic Church, Bitcoin cash is the Cathars. Vitalik Buterin is Martin Luther and Ethereum is protestantism which of course lead to a great multiplication of shitcoins (no offence) Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodism, evangelicals etc. NFTs are prosperity gospel. Which I guess means Tether is the Beast.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's hard not to wonder if that Hitpiece thing isn't performance art or something along those lines. "Hit piece" seems like an awfully on-the-nose name.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/hit-piece
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/hit-piece

It also looks like their website is barely functioning at this point, and popping up a lot of 504s.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

orange sky posted:

Awful lot of minuses for fiat currency-- if it's so terrible maybe they should give me all their fiat currency

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

orange sky posted:

they should lose their license to do whatever.

jesus gently caress.

e: also according to wikipedia.

"Computing: 2.2×10−78913 is approximately equal to the smallest positive non-zero value that can be represented by an octuple-precision IEEE floating-point value."

sounds like butts can have way way more than 8 decimal places?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 2, 2022

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Guys crypto is very scarce.

Thats why you have to get in on the ground floor of “baby elon doge coin.”

Or maybe you want to join in on the OG bitcoin and get rug pulled.

“Who Are the Bitcoin Billionaires?

If you include Satoshi Nakamoto, there are currently four addresses which hold enough Bitcoin for their owners to be considered Bitcoin billionaires. With more than 1,000,000 BTC, Nakamoto — who may be an individual or a group — owns more Bitcoin than any other entity. The four remaining billionaires are estimated to hold around 672,000 BTC altogether. Each individual address is comprised of more than 100,000 BTC and up to over 250,000 BTC. These addresses are mainly located at two crypto exchanges (Bitfinex and Binance), with the third and fourth at an unknown location.

Yes, it really is that stupid.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

Awful lot of minuses for fiat currency-- if it's so terrible maybe they should give me all their fiat currency

thats kind of the point, they DONT have any fiat currency. so the only things they can actually buy are bootleg russian drugs, fbi agents posing as professional assassins, and more bit coin

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

Salt Fish posted:

These dudes were posting photos of themselves at a basketball game tonight. Not the smartest idea to do whenever you’re likely to be in jail for fraud.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1488642940608172040

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

they should lose their license to do whatever.

jesus gently caress.

e: also according to wikipedia.

"Computing: 2.2×10−78913 is approximately equal to the smallest positive non-zero value that can be represented by an octuple-precision IEEE floating-point value."

sounds like butts can have way way more than 8 decimal places?

Bitcoin might be stupid, but even that is not stupid enough to use floating point values to do math operations on "currency".

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Aramis posted:

Bitcoin might be stupid, but even that is not stupid enough to use floating point values to do math operations on "currency".

Yeah, all values in bitcoin are 64 bit integers, where the «satoshi» is the smallest value and 1 BTC = 100000000 satoshis

Of course, there have been some exchanges that did use floats in their systems

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
It would seem Eddie Van Halen’s son got targeted by Hitpiece. He’s almost certainly got a lawyer on the case unlike many of the smaller artists who can’t afford them.

https://twitter.com/wolfvanhalen/status/1488689112076804096?s=21

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

orange sky posted:

lol it doesnt actually explain what fungible means

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

orange sky posted:

ugh i hate wordle so much

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so us dollar, very non-fungible..? make an NFT of the dollar?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Next time I'm asked to pony up change I'll casually remind the business owner that actually dollars aren't fungible

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

wait holy gently caress what are they even smoking

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
money has a terrible track record. We've only been using money since 700 bc in some way or another. That's way worse than bitcoin.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

money has a terrible track record. We've only been using money since 700 bc in some way or another. That's way worse than bitcoin.

"I would like 1 big mac, here is a tiny little sliver of gold."

Yes, very proven.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Doesn’t fungible mean “can be exchanged for stuff?” Surely that description applies to…..MONEY?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Doesn’t fungible mean “can be exchanged for stuff?” Surely that description applies to…..MONEY?

Dont be ridiculous, you cant exchange US dollars for Canadian dollars it says so right there.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Gutcruncher posted:

Fungible means that they're goods that are mutually interchangeable with no material difference between them. "Non-fungible" basically means unique.

Money is fungible because if I give you £10 and you give me £10 we're back where we started.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

That is part of an entire report "Fidelity Digital Assets" did on Bitcoin, to experience it in full you can download it here:
https://www.fidelitydigitalassets.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/FDAS/bitcoin-first.pdf

I feel like they could have put this in another format, like a pyramid or something....

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Does the serialization of bills give a type.of non-fungibility to cash? Like how you can track certain lots?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

To an extent, yeah - cash isn't fully fungible, at the most extreme examples you've got the petty dipshits who pay parking fines entirely in pennies, which is clearly not the same as paying in notes or a cheque or whatever. But for the overwhelming majority of purposes money (especially electronic transfers) is fungible. The deposit of my wages into my bank account, the £20 I get out of a cash point and the £10 I get as change after buying something with that £20 are all "different" money but fungibility means I can treat it all as interchangeable.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just thought up "21st Century Bitcoin Man". But before I could start writing lyrics I googled it up and a song by that name came out last year.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

orange sky posted:

That is part of an entire report "Fidelity Digital Assets" did on Bitcoin, to experience it in full you can download it here:
https://www.fidelitydigitalassets.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/FDAS/bitcoin-first.pdf

I feel like they could have put this in another format, like a pyramid or something....

:guillotine: can't happen soon enough.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Illuminti posted:

I've just had an amazing idea about Holy Relic NFTs. Combining the religious grift with the crypto scam. I'm going to be a billionaire.

Destroy each 'relic' after you make an NFT of it. Win-win.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So by NFT standards bank notes are NFTs since they have unique serial numbers?

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
All my apes gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Senor Tron posted:

So by NFT standards bank notes are NFTs since they have unique serial numbers?
No, because as our friends at Fidelity Investments pointed out with their handy dandy table, bank notes are fungible.