Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
if my car doesn’t drive itself aggressively then that will signal to passers-by that I have a small penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have to constantly pay rapt attention while the car is driving for you, so you probably get more agitated by it following the rules, than if you were following the rules yourself

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

death to self driving

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

eSports Chaebol posted:

What I don’t get is that, even if you are terminally carbrained like 99% of America (myself included), why does it matter if your robot car drives like a grandma? like I get the urge to drive aggressively when you’re behind the wheel, but if you’re letting your car drive itself, who cares? it doesn’t even save time!

because following the rules is SO SLOW!!!! and people are passing me

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
for real though going 20 over the speed limit on my lovely 45 commute only shaves off like 5 minutes. less than 10. it’s counterintuitive for sure but also exactly the sort of thing you could actually pay attention to if your car were driving itself

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ekuNNN posted:

https://twitter.com/kristnmerrilees/status/1486797272314691597

I remember when conventional wisdom was to never even share your real first name on the internet :negative:

how cool will the future be when cyberSWAT projects this as a hologram layout before the breach

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

how cool will the future be when cyberSWAT projects this as a hologram layout before the breach

they’ll accidentally study it flipped horizontally and come in the wrong way and a guy will twist his ankle and you’ll get charged with assault for it

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Lastgirl posted:

they already can make holograms projections of buildings from satellite photos shhhhhhh

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Why on earth would you have an option exclusively for making your self driving car be worse at its job??

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

withak posted:

if my car doesn’t drive itself aggressively then that will signal to passers-by that I have a small penis.

it all makes sense now

e: also what's up with this 3 strikes and you're locked out system?

Beartaco has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Feb 2, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

metaverse svu:

A woman in the U.K. wrote in a blog post on Medium that she experienced a real horror play out in the virtual game Horizon Worlds developed by Meta, formerly known as Facebook.

"Within 60 seconds of joining," she wrote in the post from December, "I was verbally and sexually harassed – 3-4 male avatars, with male voices, essentially, but virtually gang raped my avatar.'”

She details watching her avatar get sexually assaulted by a handful of male avatars, who took photos and sent her comments like "don’t pretend you didn’t love it.”

The woman is vice president of Metaverse Research for Kabuni Ventures, an immersive technology company.

Joseph Jones, president of Bosco Legal Services, an investigation agency specializing in cyber and social media, says it's unlikely Patel has a strong legal case for sexual harassment but acknowledges that harassment in the metaverse is an emerging space.

He says the case would depend on several factors, such as the specific comments people made and whether her avatar reveals any identifiable information, such as her name. Given that she doesn't have a huge following, Jones says, it's unlikely she could sue for defamation, but she could file a civil restraining order to prevent it from happening again.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

at work, fallon is on in the background and he's playing with a boston dynamics dog

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

metaverse svu:

A woman in the U.K. wrote in a blog post on Medium that she experienced a real horror play out in the virtual game Horizon Worlds developed by Meta, formerly known as Facebook.

"Within 60 seconds of joining," she wrote in the post from December, "I was verbally and sexually harassed – 3-4 male avatars, with male voices, essentially, but virtually gang raped my avatar.'”

She details watching her avatar get sexually assaulted by a handful of male avatars, who took photos and sent her comments like "don’t pretend you didn’t love it.”

The woman is vice president of Metaverse Research for Kabuni Ventures, an immersive technology company.

Joseph Jones, president of Bosco Legal Services, an investigation agency specializing in cyber and social media, says it's unlikely Patel has a strong legal case for sexual harassment but acknowledges that harassment in the metaverse is an emerging space.

He says the case would depend on several factors, such as the specific comments people made and whether her avatar reveals any identifiable information, such as her name. Given that she doesn't have a huge following, Jones says, it's unlikely she could sue for defamation, but she could file a civil restraining order to prevent it from happening again.

I feel like I read this exact story in wired about some VRML thing. nothing new under the virtual sun

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Raph Koster warned this exact thing was going to happen like 5 years ago and said people were going to have to do something about it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

eSports Chaebol posted:

I feel like I read this exact story in wired about some VRML thing. nothing new under the virtual sun

I think it was a MUD.

The story feels a bit fake though, especially the thing where they took screenshots and sent them to her.

In any case, any virtual world absolutely needs a way to instablock any user, and it’s insane if Facebook haven’t implemented that yet

ymgve has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Feb 2, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ymgve posted:

I think it was a MUD.

The story feels a bit fake though, especially the thing where they took screenshots and sent them to her.

In any case, any virtual world absolutely needs a way to instablock any user, and it’s insane if Facebook haven’t implemented that yet

It happened in Second Life, but it probably also happened lots of other places.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I just saw an ad from GMC advertising their new hands free driving feature. The sickness is spreading.

https://youtu.be/5H59SFrxbJM

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

The Lone Badger posted:

It happened in Second Life, but it probably also happened lots of other places.

It definitely happened in SL too (and would be something more close to «real» virtual rape since animation scripts can take control of your avatar and use it in actual animated sex, instead of Facebook’s Crossworlds where it was at most creative use of nonsexual gestures)

But the thing I was thinking about was a MUD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Rape_in_Cyberspace

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Excuse me, that was a MOO.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

30.5 Days posted:

Excuse me, that was a MOO.

look up what MOO means

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

What I don’t get is that, even if you are terminally carbrained like 99% of America (myself included), why does it matter if your robot car drives like a grandma? like I get the urge to drive aggressively when you’re behind the wheel, but if you’re letting your car drive itself, who cares? it doesn’t even save time!

Americans don't understand controls as anything but social dominance measures
America itself doesn't understand its own controls as anything but social dominance measures

This especially applies to road rules where enforcement is arbitrary. They're written at the best of times to encourage safety, environmental friendliness, and good community development, but they're enforced to make driving through an area as lucrative and minority/poor-repelling as possible while instilling a sense in the rest that they Belong and are Historical Subjects with their Own Valid Opinion. And everyone knows it, so the idea of a self-driver that drives how you have to drive if you're an Other is absolutely unappealing to people buying luxury cars, which only exist as a very loud public announcement that you're Someone.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ymgve posted:

look up what MOO means

You might as well say that a MUX is a MUD, why not a MUCK!? Please.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

ymgve posted:

look up what MOO means

What is the sound your mother makes?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Beartaco posted:

Why on earth would you have an option exclusively for making your self driving car be worse at its job??

the car drives the same regardless of the setting. The setting is actually used to judge the moral character of the car owner, so that the computer can asses if it should kill the driver in any Trolley Problem scenerios

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Real hurthling! posted:

metaverse svu:

"harassment in the metaverse is an emerging space"

what a phrase :allears:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The only solution is to task the NSA with putting all internet trolls into prison

Please do not ask me about my stock portfolio

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Uh yeah no poo poo this has been obvious since day 2, the techbros pushing for self-driving don't want a car that's safe, they want a car that drives like they do (ie like a colossal rear end in a top hat)

This is the half the reason self-driving got into the stupid trolley problem rabbit hole over who the car should should choose to hit if forced to swerve: simply stopping (an act the car is extremely well-equipped to do with room to spare) is completely unconscionable because the techbro in the driver's seat brakes for nobody

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Real hurthling! posted:

metaverse svu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X8829BkLak

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Special Videogames Unit

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Special Videogames Unit

Bring it on. I could listen to Ice T talk about things he's read on Kotaku all day.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

the solution is obvious: digital force fem. no men allowed on the internet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tokin opposition posted:

the solution is obvious: digital force fem. no men allowed on the internet.

thats fine I already play witch

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

christmas boots posted:

Bring it on. I could listen to Ice T talk about things he's read on Kotaku all day.

They're calling it healslutting.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

christmas boots posted:

I heard he's better than civilization 5 with the brave new world expansion

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

and he said she broke up with him because he wasn't being nice enough to her when they played diablo, but he shouldn't have to carry her in the first place! I don't get it, Liv.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Bakers Cousin posted:

they already can make holograms projections of buildings from satellite photos shhhhhhh

Whats this then

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

Whats this then

Hacking a space satellite to make it display goatse on someone's house, but only when they're not looking. Gaslighting 21st century style.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

rumor is he chose the Moralist path, even did the scene in the church with dolores dei. real sicko poo poo

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
We have taught computers to solve programming competition problems, soon they will take all our jobs

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/2/22914085/alphacode-ai-coding-program-automatic-deepmind-codeforce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

christmas boots posted:

Apparently even average mode does the rolling stops. I wonder what the description for chill mode is.

the car vents a bunch of weed smoke out the back while going 20 under the speed limit