Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Thanks again.

So, we banned Your Gay Uncle for never coming back and explaining how he thought patient transfers were done, right? Because dude had conviction that they weren't by ambulance and I'm dying to know.

Dude hasn't posted in this tread since. The shame must be immense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Dude hasn't posted in this tread since. The shame must be immense.
He knew he had already peaked in here. Nothing else to post.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HopperUK posted:

Wasn't there a whole scene about it where they talked and came to understand each other and Abuela was sorry and they hugged? On the riverbank? Maybe I just misunderstood what was going on, I don't know. I thought it was sweet.

How would I know I have not seen it.

Rude

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

fartknocker posted:

We don’t see him clearly kill the cop. All you see is him quickly gut punch the guy, and the next he’s in the cop uniform getting in the car. No blood or obvious stabbing or anything to really indicate the cop died.
This scene is absolute proof that Cameron wanted you to think the T-1000 was just a regular dude, since it only copies the cop's uniform and not his face.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

theironjef posted:

Mirabel is Abuela 2. No outlandish powers but can manage a family of superpowered goofs. The movie doesn't come out and say it but it's also pretty clear that she has a gift and it's the same as the Abuela, which is that she has an extreme connection to the powers of the magic house. Because she's gonna run it someday.

Yeah, I got it, and i thought it was stupid and lovely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Perestroika posted:

I wouldn't call it outright bad, but it's certainly got an issue that it all feels very rushed. Characters have their grand reveals before you even really know who they are, we go from the great calamity to its resolution in a matter of minutes, and the denouement doesn't really get time to breathe. It really could've used another 20 minutes runtime or thereabouts. Plus the songs were all just alright. Not terrible, but nothing really too memorable.

Feels like that's a common problem with modern day Disney movies, pacing is poo poo and they don't know how to develop characters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Frozen, I'm looking at you here.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Finally got around to watching Shang Chi and we're just gonna keep doing monster portals until the heat death of the universe I guess

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like that's a common problem with modern day Disney movies, pacing is poo poo and they don't know how to develop characters.

There are too many characters in Encanto to properly develop them. The sister with super hearing is a plot device rather than a character, the shapeshifting brother could have been absent from the film entirely for all he mattered, and the supporting character that gets the most attention in the beginning of the movie virtually disappears by the second act.

And yes, the pacing is loving awful.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the movie has two "directors" and one "co-director." I don't know what went on behind the scenes or what the extent of the co-director's input was, but to me having two white men direct and a Latina woman listed separately smells a lot like Disney remembering the backlash they got from Moana and assigning someone to a token credit rather than letting a Latin-American woman tell a story her own way. I hope I'm wrong about that but I don't have a ton of faith in Disney to do the right thing.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

they don't know how to develop characters.

Voyager I posted:

There are too many characters in Encanto to properly develop them.

Not complaining about either of you specifically, just quoting to springboard into my own pedantic tangent (hey, it's the "irrationally irritating" thread, we're entitled).

People use phrases like "characters are well-developed" so much and so casually that it's obscured the concept of character development. "Character development" is about a character experiencing personal growth or an evolving personality due to the events of the story. It's akin to Calvin's dad telling him to shovel the snow because it "builds character."

When someone says "develop the characters" what they actually mean is "develop characterization."

Sounds super pedantic and it is, but every once in a while you'll encounter someone with strong opinions about "character development" when it's clear they don't even know what that means, and it's because we all throw around these terms so casually and interchangeably.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

HopperUK posted:

Also is the only acceptable message now 'if your family is messy and hosed up because of generational trauma, cut them off forever'? Is forgiveness never acceptable in any story?

on these forum 100%.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

flavor.flv posted:

There's a podcast that takes movies and plays them out as tabletop RPG campaigns, and when they did From Dusk til Dawn that guy didn't even make an appearance, it was bullshit

Yeah I know this is from a ways back, but what podcast are you talking about?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Frozen, I'm looking at you here.

Let it go, dude. Let it go.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

El Fideo posted:

Yeah I know this is from a ways back, but what podcast are you talking about?

It's called The Film Reroll. Rotating cast of players and GMs, using GURPS. The conceit is that they try to stick to the original story as much as possible until the dice say otherwise, then they follow the events to their logical conclusion

Recommended episodes are:

Jumanji, where the GM wrote a full set of rules and cards for the game so it could go on a completely different direction depending on the very first dice roll

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, where they end up kidnapping Mussolini

Friday the 13th, where the GM straight up lies to the players about what movie they're rolling and they all think they're in a teen sex comedy until bodies start dropping

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Crespolini posted:

on these forum 100%.

Eh... From what some folks' experiences with family is, I don't blame 'em.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also the movie has two "directors" and one "co-director." I don't know what went on behind the scenes or what the extent of the co-director's input was, but to me having two white men direct and a Latina woman listed separately smells a lot like Disney remembering the backlash they got from Moana and assigning someone to a token credit rather than letting a Latin-American woman tell a story her own way. I hope I'm wrong about that but I don't have a ton of faith in Disney to do the right thing.

There are specific rules about credits from the DGA, so you can't really just add a token director to a project.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

flavor.flv posted:

Friday the 13th, where the GM straight up lies to the players about what movie they're rolling and they all think they're in a teen sex comedy until bodies start dropping

I don't like listening to or watching other people play tabletop games, but this is a phenomenal conceit for a one off session and I want to steal it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

There are specific rules about credits from the DGA, so you can't really just add a token director to a project.

IIRC animated movies are a little different which is how Wonder Park got released with no credited director.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Aphrodite posted:

What would that mean then if there were two credited directors and one credited co-director? Is that broken up by how much of the run-time was produced with them at the helm? The amount of pre-production work they put in? I've never heard of two people credited as "directed by" and one credited as "co-director."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Encanto could have been so much better with like 10 more minutes of story.

Raya should have been a loving series, not a movie.

What movie do you like, but you prefer someone other than the main characters? Monsters Inc is awesome but I really don't care about Mike and Sully after Boo appears. I want to see more of Randall's plan: did he plan to just kidnap kids and never return them, or leave them back in their rooms after being scream extracted? Who the gently caress built the machine? Waternoose was clearly involved in a lot of it. And sorry but Randall is a far scarier monster than Sully, if I was a kid I'd think he was some teddy bear.

Along those lines, has there ever been a Beauty and the Beast where the Beast wasn't furry or some large plush critter? I mean something that was more insect or like a rat would have far less chances of finding love than a big dog-bear mix. If the Beast was a prawn from District 9, he'd die a giant cockroach.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowslips Warren posted:

What movie do you like, but you prefer someone other than the main characters?

Agent Smith is far and away my favourite character in the Matrix but I realise he's the main antagonist at least in the later movies so perhaps that doesn't count?

Disney-wise, Sebastian is the best character in the Little Mermaid. Don't @ me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

What movie do you like, but you prefer someone other than the main characters?

Along those lines, has there ever been a Beauty and the Beast where the Beast wasn't furry or some large plush critter? I mean something that was more insect or like a rat would have far less chances of finding love than a big dog-bear mix. If the Beast was a prawn from District 9, he'd die a giant cockroach.

Charon in Drive Angry. William fichtner(sp?) is amazing as a movie long Christopher Walken impression.

Beast was a HORRIBLE SCARRED dude on that cw show a few years back, and by horribly scared I mean he had like, a facial scar. Never watched it but always wondered what the gently caress was up with that. It's not even "beastly" scarring where you'd say he's disfigured.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC animated movies are a little different which is how Wonder Park got released with no credited director.

Somehow, that makes perfect sense.

Cowslips Warren posted:

You underestimate what some ladies are into.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Somehow, that makes perfect sense.

You underestimate what some ladies are into.

Belle points to a literal cockroach-equivalent of Brundle-fly. "See Gaston, you are such a terrible person that I'd rather gently caress THAT!"

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
favorite version of the beast is Robert Carlyle with green makeup on

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SoupyMintyEmperorshrimp-mobile.mp4

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't that rumplestilskin?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I tried watching Once Upon a Time with my then-girlfriend and that poo poo made no drat sense. Didn't help that I jumped in mid-season (can't remember which one, but it was the episode that guest-starred Elsa from Frozen).

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wasn't that rumplestilskin?

They kinda make characters do double duty or sometimes even triple duty to fill in all the little roles in all the stories. Honestly, the show is worth watching just for Robert Carlyle and Lana Parrillia. the show does not make much sense

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Feb 3, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cowslips Warren posted:

What movie do you like, but you prefer someone other than the main characters? Monsters Inc is awesome but I really don't care about Mike and Sully after Boo appears. I want to see more of Randall's plan: did he plan to just kidnap kids and never return them, or leave them back in their rooms after being scream extracted? Who the gently caress built the machine? Waternoose was clearly involved in a lot of it. And sorry but Randall is a far scarier monster than Sully, if I was a kid I'd think he was some teddy bear.

The Czech Beauty and the Beast from 1978 has him as a bird dude with a beak, that's the closest you'll get.

Although that movie is much darker about the story in general.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What else would a bird dude have?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Charon in Drive Angry. William fichtner(sp?) is amazing as a movie long Christopher Walken impression.

Beast was a HORRIBLE SCARRED dude on that cw show a few years back, and by horribly scared I mean he had like, a facial scar. Never watched it but always wondered what the gently caress was up with that. It's not even "beastly" scarring where you'd say he's disfigured.

Reminding me that S1 of The Punisher ended with him grinding someones face into steak tartare with a smashed mirror. The same guy has a couple of scars in S2.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I want to see more of Nedry in Jurassic Park, especially since the few glimpses we do get of his day to day work makes him seem pretty justified in betraying Hammond. It's just him and Samuel L Jackson's character running this entire multibillion dollar island complex and it's pretty clear he doesn't like it there either, but he copes by just half-assing his job and piling more stuff on Nedry until his boss orders him to go get ripped to pieces by velociraptors and there's nobody else to do it

I'd like to see a version where the focus is on Nedry making his way through the whole park as his preprogrammed timers go off, maybe doing a cat and mouse game with Arnold trying to figure out where he's going next

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In King's Quest 6, possibly the best King's Quest, The Beast is still mostly a furry, but at least has a more ugly warthog face vs generic "fur and a couple fangs":

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Torquemada posted:

Reminding me that S1 of The Punisher ended with him grinding someones face into steak tartare with a smashed mirror. The same guy has a couple of scars in S2.

Yeah, that was the silliest thing. The character's whole thing is that he wears a mask cause he's supposedly so badly scarred and hideous. Then you actually see him and he's basically just a guy that you'd barely look twice at. Hell, you could just throw some concealer on there and they'd be invisible:

Meanwhile in the warzone movie they actually went hard and gave the same character a look that actually fits the concept:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A bill.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pelican face.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A weird penis.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

flavor.flv posted:

I want to see more of Nedry in Jurassic Park, especially since the few glimpses we do get of his day to day work makes him seem pretty justified in betraying Hammond. It's just him and Samuel L Jackson's character running this entire multibillion dollar island complex and it's pretty clear he doesn't like it there either, but he copes by just half-assing his job and piling more stuff on Nedry until his boss orders him to go get ripped to pieces by velociraptors and there's nobody else to do it

I'd like to see a version where the focus is on Nedry making his way through the whole park as his preprogrammed timers go off, maybe doing a cat and mouse game with Arnold trying to figure out where he's going next

Especially since him and Jackson are evidence against Hammond's whole 'Spared no expense' spiel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DrBouvenstein posted:

In King's Quest 6, possibly the best King's Quest, The Beast is still mostly a furry, but at least has a more ugly warthog face vs generic "fur and a couple fangs":

Seems familiar