Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fly Molo posted:

I’m curious to see what large-scale tank warfare will look like between peers nowadays, or if it’s even possible. If one side uses drones to scout & calls down GPS-guided artillery onto the other side’s tanks again and again, that could really hurt the effectiveness of large tank formations. You’d be stuck sending out hundreds of tanks to get pulverized like it’s WW1 or some poo poo, or investing heavily in more anti-drone/counterbattery weapons as a basic prerequisite for offensive operations.

my take is that drones have taken ww1 warfare, condensed it into a shorter amount span of time, and given it the ability to happen on more fronts

you still need all the other parts, I imagine peer on peer to be a highly lethal meat-grinder that's mobile and happening fast, each side pulverizing the other easier than ever before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:3:

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1488329567009976320?s=21

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
i just ate a bunch of fuckin kasha does this mean im a russian bot now

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
question for anyone: if you had a youtube channel that uploaded rare chinese propaganda videos from the xi jinping era, what would you name it?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
who wants to be a Xi-illionaire

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The t-64/t-80 family were not earth shatteringly better than the t-72 family. Like there's a qualitative difference but the USSR was essentially just making 3 separate mbts simultaneously for no real gain.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

question for anyone: if you had a youtube channel that uploaded rare chinese propaganda videos from the xi jinping era, what would you name it?

new xiland

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

American Propaganda Department

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1488774116635254784

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh that hits way too close to home oh geez

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Horatius Bonar posted:

I've had their bubble tea and their gimmick doesn't work, brown sugar is just weird. Don't think I ever had brown sugar in any bubble tea in Taiwan.

Signage is otherwise correct.

there's a ton of brown sugar bubble tea in taiwan its become like one of the main flavors

well I mean the "burnt black sugar" 黑糖

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
looool no need for physics when you’ll be too busy fighting the Trump-flesh-blob mutants

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

why hasn’t there ever been a double barreled tank like in red alert?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Antonymous posted:

there's a ton of brown sugar bubble tea in taiwan its become like one of the main flavors

well I mean the "burnt black sugar" 黑糖

or you should just really stay away from addictive and unhealthy poo poo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

because you would need double the weight and suspension and the turret would fly off and you would end up with less accuracy lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

it's based on something in real life

the ZSU-57-2 had twin 57mm cannons meant for anti-air but which could also be used on ground targets. It was really sophisticated for its time, but the top was open air and it lacked a fire control radar. 57mm rounds can shoot down anything but they didn't throw up the volume of fire you really need to take down a fast moving, low flying plane. It would end up being completely outclassed by the Shilka.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 09:05 on Feb 2, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

it's generally more important/more productive to have a single gun that's as large as you need it to be (not necessarily as large as possible)

if you had two guns in a turret, you'd have to make a lot of sacrifices in terms of the calibre of the guns, finding the stowage for the ammo, coming up with a fire-direction system that lets you control/shoot both, and all the attendant weight that that involves

in the early days of tank technology, people did experiment with multiple guns on a tank, but usually that was in terms of different guns mounted in different turrets (or barbettes), such that the utility was to be able to cover different angles simultaneously

but if you're putting two guns in a single turret, then you're almost certainly giving up the penetrative/explosive power of a single, larger gun, and that's more valuable than being able to shoot twice simultaneously/in-rapid-succession. better to knock out a tank in a single 100mm shot, than two 75mm shots that fail to penetrate - better to fire a single 100mm HE shell to knock out a strongpoint, than two smaller HE shots, etc.

and if you need more guns, you bring more tanks

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

The t-64/t-80 family were not earth shatteringly better than the t-72 family. Like there's a qualitative difference but the USSR was essentially just making 3 separate mbts simultaneously for no real gain.

this is only partially true imo. the 64s/80s would have performed significantly better than the 72 for like a decade - but only because morozov demanded that his babies got fancy toys like ERA packages and new fire control systems before the peasants attached to the motorized divisions. so they were making two serviceable but very expensive mbt's and a dedicated whipping boy tank for no reason.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1488719319588814850?s=20&t=AjNFXVtIDPDW418Y3ZZ9ZA
https://twitter.com/mujo_kun/status/1488778515856392192?s=20&t=AjNFXVtIDPDW418Y3ZZ9ZA

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

and if you need more guns, you bring more tanks

nah, just bring more turrets :getin:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fly Molo posted:

I’m curious to see what large-scale tank warfare will look like between peers nowadays, or if it’s even possible. If one side uses drones to scout & calls down GPS-guided artillery onto the other side’s tanks again and again, that could really hurt the effectiveness of large tank formations. You’d be stuck sending out hundreds of tanks to get pulverized like it’s WW1 or some poo poo, or investing heavily in more anti-drone/counterbattery weapons as a basic prerequisite for offensive operations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lkdqoLt44

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

They only get the second barrel if they kill another vehicle by using the leech beam, and unfortunately they never really got a chance to fight anything other than guerillas

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

You keep using the word "allies". I don't think it means what you think it means

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Malleum posted:

this is only partially true imo. the 64s/80s would have performed significantly better than the 72 for like a decade - but only because morozov demanded that his babies got fancy toys like ERA packages and new fire control systems before the peasants attached to the motorized divisions. so they were making two serviceable but very expensive mbt's and a dedicated whipping boy tank for no reason.

nah they actually had strategic reasons for it, the soviet plan was essentially to tarball the US in the south with large numbers of pact forces and soviet conscripts in the cheaper, more easily made tanks while the elite guards, VDV and professionals would charge through the north as fast and hard as they could, defeating the isolated and entirely outclassed europeans in depth very quickly. the americans could not afford to move any of their forces to help their european allies, because they would be facing almost perpetual probing attacks from mechanized and armored soviet forces with any breakthroughs ruthlessly and nearly instantly capitalized on. the amount of firepower brought to bear would be immense and so attrition would be high (nato never had as much artillery because they are massive dipshits lmao). weakening their forces anywhere would very obviously lead to a total collapse, and so the americans had no choice but to sit and be ground down as their allies folded one by one.

then you loop around and surround the americans with your elite troops. france is given an ultimatum that they leave NATO, declare themselves neutral and expell all foreign forces, at which point they will be left alone, or every port in their country will be hit with nuclear weapons and an invasion launched immediately.

at what point either you negotiate peace or everyone dies i guess idk lmao. the soviets very much expected the french to take the deal fwiw.

anyway yeah in the context of this plan having a line of cheap tanks you can issue to the guys who you're basically expecting to fail makes sense, while leaving the best stuff for the best troops. especially when the plan calls for those guys to go as fast as they possibly can.

CaptainACAB has issued a correction as of 10:13 on Feb 2, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I feel like I'm losing my mind because the media's anti-China sentiment is so strong that they're willing to rewrite history in an almost complete inversion of the facts just to make it sound like Marcos was always pro-China.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Because already having it skips having to take and retrench it before you can do rail movements, and proper utilities access is something that Crimea wants yesterday.

Plus ultimately Russia's goal towards Ukraine is to leave it defanged and hopefully abandon its NATO inclinations.

But cutting a few more parts off of it wouldn't really help with leaving Ukraine defanged, it might do the opposite.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

好好学,天天向上

"study hard and improve every day". an old saying from mao zedong, and the fourth character is the character for xi's surname

Culture Corner : 好好学习,天天向上

R. Guyovich has issued a correction as of 10:57 on Feb 2, 2022

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I love the CM series but was hesitant on Cold War (only one I don’t own), so thanks for that, I’ll pick it up. Black Sea is funny for being wildly optimistic about the Ukrainians too, and of course Shock Force (NATO invasion of Syria) is surreal to play through now.
i forgot to mention that i haven't played it much yet, but since it's world war III, you don't have to worry about complications resulting from... blowing up buildings or destroying everything in your path generally. it's cathartic in that way, kinda like that game "rampage" from back in the day when you play giant monsters smashing up skyscrapers

R. Guyovich posted:

好好学,天天向上

"study hard and improve every day". an old saying from mao zedong, and the fourth character is the character for xi's surname

Culture Corner : 好好学习,天天向上
oh that's a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIfPVO6FKgQ

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 11:02 on Feb 2, 2022

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

man I wonder what's in the national news about the imminent russian superinvasion today, huh

"Expert says signs point to Russian offensive already being underway."

wonder who this Oscar Jonsson guy is

hang on, "Free World Forum"? that sounds familiar

oh no

but that was two whole years ago, maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge

lol. lmao.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Americans surprised at China building something for the community

https://twitter.com/joshchin/status/1488301382935654400?t=9qXWli7egf_6RnEXeRAE6g&s=19

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

cia: but comrade xi! i sell DRUGS to the community

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I like how the CPC is “quietly inserting” itself into life after over 70 years of being in power. They are playing the long game.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Palladium posted:

new xiland

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chinese state-affiliated media

e: r guy's is better

Truga has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Feb 2, 2022

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the institution of private property is quietly inserting itself into american life

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Jose posted:

Americans surprised at China building something for the community

https://twitter.com/joshchin/status/1488301382935654400?t=9qXWli7egf_6RnEXeRAE6g&s=19

I love the exploitation of awkward translation there. "Civilization practice" lmao.

https://twitter.com/pretentiouswhat/status/1488797992593215494?s=20&t=r2dZSdBWohgbPdBhfS6guw

https://twitter.com/pretentiouswhat/status/1488798001904582658?s=20&t=r2dZSdBWohgbPdBhfS6guw

I wonder when the US will appoint a new Argentinian president

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

R. Guyovich posted:

the institution of private property is quietly inserting itself into american life

lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DiscountDildos posted:

I wonder when the US will appoint a new Argentinian president

IMO both China and Arg are being unnecessarily high profile here...Stealth BRI is the best BRI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/ChollimaOrg/status/1488809585917894656?s=20&t=-yIt3VjFJomZ6uQm6hIpdQ

Yes hahaha yessss