Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The redeeming thins about Revelation is that Invincible is somehow even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In the novel Invincible, who is invincible?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zahn didn’t even know they were offing a couple of his characters until the books were out.

Reception of BOBF has been mixed, but at the very least it probably makes Traviss really mad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

In the novel Invincible, who is invincible?

Admiral Daala.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Casimir Radon posted:

Reception of BOBF has been mixed, but at the very least it probably makes Traviss really mad.

I'm not sure why Traviss would be mad. Between The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett, they've been weaving in a significant chunk of the world-building she did around them. The Death Watch basically takes its major themes from what Traviss portrayed all of Mandalorian society to be like and act like they are the only true Mandalorians just to hammer it home. Whatever you think about the author, she managed to make a lasting mark on how the Mandalorians are portrayed, even in the new canon.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 2, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Arc Hammer posted:

Admiral Daala.

He said invincible, not inexplicable

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Teek posted:

Have you read The Fallen Star and comics? That's pretty much been the ongoing Avar plot for the last half of phase 1. But basically Ro has been playing the Republic and portraying the Nihil as on their last legs as he tosses several of the factions to the wolves to do that. So the Republic has been getting the wrong idea about their strength and leadership structure.
I got through the first arc of the comics only before I had to move. They're building up in my stash back at home, but it'll be months before I get to 'em.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Slashrat posted:

I'm not sure why Traviss would be mad. Between The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett, they've been weaving in a significant chunk of the world-building she did around them. The Death Watch basically takes its major themes from what Traviss portrayed all of Mandalorian society to be like and act like they are the only true Mandalorians just to hammer it home. Whatever you think about the author, she managed to make a lasting mark on how the Mandalorians are portrayed, even in the new canon.

This is the Way [that I like it]-Karen Traviss, probably

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Traviss would hate it because out of beskar, no one uses her Klingon language; no one else in the show outside of the Mandalorians really cares about Mandalorians; Boba Fett is not a Mandalorian in the show; and worst of all, a Jedi has to save the Mandalorian character.

Edit: there was actually a very subtle EU reference in this later episode, with Luke referring to it as the "academy." The academy term is very much an EU term, the Lucasfilm people have always been firm that Luke's sequel-era temple is the "Jedi training temple" per the Lucas naming.

Anyway, seeing the ant droids building the temple was pretty cool.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 2, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mando gets clowned on by Jawas in the second episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Mando gets clowned on by Jawas in the second episode.

Honestly I think that would piss her off less than Mandalorians needing a Jedi to save them.

Also, I just realized that she would be pissed at the Empire destroying Mandalore when in her books the Empire somehow got tricked by a Mandalorian amusement park and spent all their time occupying the planet on an animatronic mythosaur.

I actually think that Karen Traviss is symbolic of a sort of fan (not just Star Wars) who has since become really prominent in online fan circles. When she was hired to do Republic Commando, she was very clear that she had never seen Star Wars before, and just glommed onto the characters she was hired to write about. Going forward, she was likewise very clear that she read none of the other EU stuff either, and based all of her research on Wookieepedia (which was established right around the time she started writing). A big chunk of her work then became reading Mandalorian articles on Wookieepedia, and writing stuff with the explicit goals of providing stuff to either reinforce or retcon the Mandalorian articles, and the rest of her time was spent shitposting and getting into fights with people online, until ultimately she ragequit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She did spend time working with Pablo Hidalgo to properly arrange all the disparate Mandalorian depictions up to that point in time so it was somewhat coherent.

Ironically the thing that makes Mandalorians compelling is how they have multiple wildly different portrayals that contradict one another while being equally valid interpretations. For a society based around a specific hat, they've got the advantage of being from the hat planet where everyone is still arguing what that hat means. It's much better than Mandalorians being a monolithic entity that never changed over the millennia.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

they're tough barves, that's all you need to know

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Arc Hammer posted:

She did spend time working with Pablo Hidalgo to properly arrange all the disparate Mandalorian depictions up to that point in time so it was somewhat coherent.

Ironically the thing that makes Mandalorians compelling is how they have multiple wildly different portrayals that contradict one another while being equally valid interpretations. For a society based around a specific hat, they've got the advantage of being from the hat planet where everyone is still arguing what that hat means. It's much better than Mandalorians being a monolithic entity that never changed over the millennia.

I especially liked in the Clone Wars cartoon when they go to Mandalore and it's just your standard future city with gleaming glass towers and corporate lawyers, then an alarm goes off and people with Boba Fett helmets start causing a ruckus and the general reaction is, "Christ, not these guys again." It would have been so easy to just have a whole Boba Fett planet and I appreciate that they came at it from a different angle.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Traviss would hate it because out of beskar, no one uses her Klingon language

The armorer was using it to count during her sparring session with Din, which is appropriate since she's the most Traviss-y Mandalorian we've seen in terms of "Mandalore is the goodest best place and everyone else sucks, and that time we all got our asses kicked was someone else's fault".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Death Watch in TCW are a bunch of terrorist assholes, now The Mandalorian has the Children of the Watch who as it turns out are a weirdo cult, plus Bo-Katan attempting to be the legitimate government of a planet that may or may not be completely slagged. Quite a bit more complex of a situation than you get in a lot of SW media.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

I especially liked in the Clone Wars cartoon when they go to Mandalore and it's just your standard future city with gleaming glass towers and corporate lawyers, then an alarm goes off and people with Boba Fett helmets start causing a ruckus and the general reaction is, "Christ, not these guys again." It would have been so easy to just have a whole Boba Fett planet and I appreciate that they came at it from a different angle.

Not coincidentally the Clone Wars depiction of Mandalore is what made Traviss quit Star Wars.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also Traviss is a psycho who compared people who didn’t like her work to the Taliban.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd like to congratulate the Talifans for winning the Star Wars.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I don't remember which thread I've said this in before, but I like the TCW depiction of the Mandalorians as a peaceful majority trying to move past their violent history and traditions and just coexist happily with the wider galaxy, and then Death Watch and everything happens and all these folks who should have been able to live out their lives get caught up in unending war again and everything they built crumbles to dust and ash, just because a tiny minority of douchebags couldn't stand not to be known as the galaxy's biggest dicks.

It really is a microcosm of what the Republic could have been, and the potential that was lost. A tragedy within a tragedy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/vogtroberts/status/1489018418548260864?s=21

Give the Kong Skull Island guy a movie!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

coming to a theater near you, THE COURTSHIP OF PRINCESS LEIA...

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently "Shadow of the Empire" was actually JJ Abrams' original title for Episode 7 before being told it was too close to the name of a prominent existing story.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JJ does the phrase Wampa Stompa mean anything to you? If not you can leave now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wampa your hands, stompa your feet.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

looking forward to seeing those fleek eels on the big screen

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I kind of suspect BOBF might have a second season. I don’t know that they can wrap up what they have going on unless the episode is feature length. Especially now with them putting Grogu ahead of l everything else they were setting up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How can BOBF get a second season when it didn't even finish a first season before getting absorbed by Mando Season 3?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The early rumors about the series had it as only 4 episodes, with the extras added when Covid (and possibly Pedro Pascal's schedule) caused delays.

Ironically, the show was apparently referred to internally as Season 3 of The Mandalorian, with most of the new cast members not even knowing they were being hired for a Boba Fett show until they got to set.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
They really need to think better about what they're naming these shows. Why have a show named after Boba Fett if they're going to switch the focus after only 4 episodes? Why not just do a generic "Star Wars Continues", that way you can do whatever you want with any of the characters?

Almost finished Visions of the Future, I like it a lot, Pelleaon has finally confronted fake Thrawn. Kinda sad that Luke and Mara inadvertently killed Clone Thrawn. Excited to read Survivor's Quest after this.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Disney folks sure are convinced that their face-CG technology is top-notch. How many millions of dollars went into the creation of a guy who looks vaguely like Mark Hamill's German cousin? I mean, if they're hell bent on using young Luke they could just recast him. I'd say they could make it more palatable by dubbing Hamill's voice on top of the new guy, but whatever they're doing to his voice makes it sound like Luke is hammered but trying very hard to sound sober, so.

Also, if this is the first glimpse into what the new canon's Jedi Order is like, I don't like it. Attachments being forbidden was what ultimately destroyed the Jedi in the first place, and Luke should know that since he's hanging around with someone who's explicitly rejected the Jedi on multiple occasions! I get that Luke's Jedi have an expiration date, but they should be making new mistakes, not repeating the old ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like to think that the show is putting up huge warning lights spelling out "this is Luke loving up" but I'm concerned that people viewing the show are just reveling in the fanservice of seeing young Luke and missing the danger signals.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I dunno, I think people are definitely reacting to Luke's portrayal - though not in a good way. A friend of mine made a video about Luke's character in Episode 8, and apparently someone left like a 700 word comment yesterday talking about how wrong he was that was prompted by this episode connecting OT Luke to Sequel Luke.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thinK CGI Luke looks fine, and it’s pretty obvious that what he’s doing now is clearly supposed to be him screwing up.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I mean the conversation with Ahsoka pretty clearly indicates that A) any positive momentum by Grogu is mainly just him remembering his Jedi teachings from decades ago, and B) that Luke really doesn't have much of an idea what he's doing

Keep in mind that this is Luke's second attempt at an apprentice after Leia lol

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

Keep in mind that this is Luke's second attempt at an apprentice after Leia lol

Is it? We don’t really know how far after ROTJ this takes place, right?

They also explicitly state Grogu would be his first student.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t remember when TROS stated that flashback takes place because I’m never watching that movie again.

I hope they don’t push the whole gently caress-up Luke angle too hard. He should have some real successes mixed in there too despite how things turned out.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1489771188637376512

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I don’t remember when TROS stated that flashback takes place because I’m never watching that movie again.

Unfortunately, I remember

In that flashback, Leia tells Luke she can't be a Jedi because it would cause the death of her unborn son

Mando/Boba take place at a time when Ben would be ~5 years old, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
I don't think the attachment issue really is the gently caress up a lot of fans think it is, rather it was the orders strict dogmatism and hubris as a whole that did them in.

In the case of Grogu, the Mandalorian has already been setting up that he has a strong attachment to Mando. On top of that, the kids pretty immature, I mean hell he forced choke Cara Dune over nothing. The child needs to grow or otherwise it's very clear he might succumb to his darker impulses.

Luke giving Grogu the choice didn't strike me as him forcing old Jedi dogma on the child for the sake of it. Instead, the episode had called out that Luke doesn't feel like Grogu's heart is in the training. Just because Grogu can touch the force doesn't mean he HAS to be a Jedi though. Being a Jedi is a choice, he doesn't have to leave the Mando behind if he doesn't want to. But if Grogu would really like to be a Jedi then he needs to deal with his darker impulses and part of that would likely mean he might never end up seeing the Mando again (Luke didn't say he won't see him, but that he might not due to Grogu'a aging, which makes me think there is some growing/maturing Grogu needs to do first if he walks the Jeid path.)