Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Very nice to see them do away with the intrusive event spam. The journal entries also seem like a really neat idea, especially how they appear to be like a gradient between decisions and events, rather than all having the same core structure.

Danann posted:

Can't wait to get a bug that continually triggers Great Molasses Floods until the end of time.
This better be modeled on the map, just an ever expanding puddle of engulfing America and then the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
decisions page looking good.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1488527560170373120

Qing Emperor Ulysses S. Grant

(Yeah I'm sure character models are WIP but it's still funny to me)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I think general Lee will fit better.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I demand Celestial Emperor Burnsides

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Pakled posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1488527560170373120

Qing Emperor Ulysses S. Grant

(Yeah I'm sure character models are WIP but it's still funny to me)

The "unrecognized power" thing is one of the only features so far that feels at risk of being artificially dictated, but hopefully I'm missing something.

Are China and Japan hardcoded as unrecognized, or is it something purely dynamic to do with diplomatic relations between the most powerful nations?

Like if you tweaked the starting values a bit so that Asian nations held the majority of power at the start of the game, would they then automatically count as the recognized powers and Europe would be unrecognized?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm pretty sure that the recognised / unrecognised thing is just based on a flag you have on game startup. Which makes sense because it's inherently arbitrary already, either Europeans think you're a savage barbarian or not, it's not based on anything else.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

They’ve said that unrecognized powers can gain recognition (don’t recall if the opposite is true). Wiz specifically cited IRL Japan as the inspiration for how they want the system to work.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

fuf posted:

The "unrecognized power" thing is one of the only features so far that feels at risk of being artificially dictated, but hopefully I'm missing something.

Are China and Japan hardcoded as unrecognized, or is it something purely dynamic to do with diplomatic relations between the most powerful nations?

Like if you tweaked the starting values a bit so that Asian nations held the majority of power at the start of the game, would they then automatically count as the recognized powers and Europe would be unrecognized?

dev blog 18 posted:

What Rank a country has – be it a mighty Great Power or a largely irrelevant Unrecognized Power – is determined by two factors: Prestige (which we’ll be explaining below) and Recognition.

When talking about Recognition, it’s important to note that we are not talking about Recognition in the more commonly used term when applying to nations, that is, whether other countries recognize the nation’s independence and existence in the first place. Rather, it is a measure of whether the reigning (probably mostly European) Great Powers, as a whole, see the country as a potential equal, i.e. whether the country could potentially be included as a decision-maker in said system if they grew strong enough.

We’re not going to go too deep into this specific topic today (as we’ll return to it in a later dev diary), but the gist of it is that countries start the game either Unrecognized or Recognized, and Unrecognized countries have to gain or force recognition in order to properly climb the Rank ladder. The Unrecognized/Recognized system replaces the Civilized/Uncivilized system of Victoria 1 and 2, and a difference from those games is that being an Unrecognized country is purely a Diplomatic status with Diplomatic penalties – a country does not become inherently worse at constructing factories or fighting wars by virtue of being scorned by Metternich and his friends, though many countries with Unrecognized status do also start out on the lower end of the technological scale.

Here's what we know, go check out the dev diaries I guess.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
This is sort of a minor thing admittedly but "unrecognized power" seems like a very inapt term for, say, the Qing Empire or Tokugawa-era Japan, which rather famously negotiated treaties with the European states. "Unrecognized power" seems like it should be reserved for organized governments that lacked international recognition (Confederate States, Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, etc.) or various native societies that got bulldozed by the imperalists.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
That seems to be why they sectioned them out to Unrecognized Major Power. I'm guessing even with all the changes they still haven't managed to make it so having Qing as a regular nation right off the bat wouldn't break the game

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the idea is that it mostly boils down to whether or not the Great Powers care what the other Great Powers do to them. Like a lot of people wanted to trade with China, but when they said no, the British were just like "lol okay we're invading then" and the rest of Europe was totally fine with it.

It's meant to be the same idea as the "civilized/uncivilized" system from Vicky 2 except without the arbitrary research restrictions for being "uncivilized". There's nothing mechanically preventing China from becoming an economic and military power on par with the British Empire this time around, but they start behind and while they are behind, other countries will have no qualms about trying to take bites out of them until they can prove that they are not to be hosed with.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

This is sort of a minor thing admittedly but "unrecognized power" seems like a very inapt term for, say, the Qing Empire or Tokugawa-era Japan, which rather famously negotiated treaties with the European states. "Unrecognized power" seems like it should be reserved for organized governments that lacked international recognition (Confederate States, Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, etc.) or various native societies that got bulldozed by the imperalists.
"Unrecognized" was "uncivilized" in previous games. This new terminology emphasizes that there's nothing intrinsically different about those states, just that the Europeans viewed them as different to themselves in important ways. It's trying to capture the different way Tokugawa and Meiji Japan were treated, specifically. And how China's vast economic potential wasn't seen as the same type of power as European states. Chinese artisans can fuel the world economy, but China is never going to be recognized as a Great Power by Europeans unless it jumps through a few hoops first.

If you're going to use a simple term to capture that concept, "unrecognized" is as good as any and way better than "uncivilized".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

Full diplomatic recognition means more than just how you deal with that country when negotiating with it, it also means how you deal with it when dealing with other countries. The UK would care far more about how France feels about a military adventure in Indochina than it would how China feels.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

In the European worldview China starts off being seen as a civilised country in the 18th.C, and then gets kind of retrospectively recategorised as backwards once industrialisation and scientific racism really start getting their groove on, travellers bring back stories of what a basket case late Qing-era China is and the opium trade shifts into high gear.

It’s wild to me that this massive change in perspective happens over just 20 years, even though about the same has happened in reverse over the last 20 or so as China’s gone from undeveloped backwater to Top Nation.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

HannibalBarca posted:

I'd love to use a better term but honestly I just haven't been able to think of one for 'countries that the Great Powers are racist against' since I don't want to actually use racist terminology. Feel free to come with suggestions.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Wiz posted:

I'd love to use a better term but honestly I just haven't been able to think of one for 'countries that the Great Powers are racist against' since I don't want to actually use racist terminology. Feel free to come with suggestions.

Marginalised or Peripheral?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's still very western centered terminology. A GP is defined through the lens of western thought, but an industrialized China of equal or greater power to the western powers should be able to just be a power in its own sphere, on its own terms.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Demiurge4 posted:

It's still very western centered terminology. A GP is defined through the lens of western thought, but an industrialized China of equal or greater power to the western powers should be able to just be a power in its own sphere, on its own terms.

It can. Recognised/Unrecognised is literally just "what does the Official Great Powers Club think of this country?" and an unrecognised country can carve out and hold a sphere of influence just fine.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's hard to think of the terminology when you don't know what it actually means in game terms. I guess the real world distinction was "is there any doubt this nation can withstand the aggression of any European country with their big ships with cannons" and the trend was started by Napoleon's surprising success in Egypt. I might totally misunderstand this but I think it was this invasion that made Europeans think of non-European armies as not a factor in a war. In this case, something like "sovereign/non-sovereign" would work? But then again, in many ways, say, Ottoman Empire was a non-sovereign state - as in Europeans did not adhere to local laws and its fate was decided in international blunders like the Crimean war - but in terms of Victoria 2 and probably Victoria 3 it's in the club.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I think unrecognised sounds fine, because that word's about optics, not actual terms of power.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This better be modeled on the map, just an ever expanding puddle of engulfing America and then the world.

Sounds vaguely Lovecraftian.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Orange Devil posted:

Sounds vaguely Lovecraftian.

I wouldn't mind the option of adding the Biomass from UFO: Aftermath.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
So imagine a set of starting conditions where you had, say, five major European powers, and five major Asian powers, of exactly equal strength.

The game would have to arbitrarily decide that one group is the Official Great Powers Club, and the other group is "unrecognized". (Or maybe a mix of the two groups would constitute the Great Powers, but that wouldn't seem to make much sense diplomatically.)

I get that this is necessary for how diplomacy works in the game, but it still strikes me as an unfortunate vestige of hard coding in a game which is otherwise beautifully dynamic.

It also seems like the reason why all the suggested terminology sounds a bit awkward: it's a game where relations are immanent and fluid, but then there's this one set of terms that are imposed from above and framed by a particular perspective.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fuf posted:

So imagine a set of starting conditions where you had, say, five major European powers, and five major Asian powers, of exactly equal strength.

The game would have to arbitrarily decide that one group is the Official Great Powers Club, and the other group is "unrecognized". (Or maybe a mix of the two groups would constitute the Great Powers, but that wouldn't seem to make much sense diplomatically.)

I get that this is necessary for how diplomacy works in the game, but it still strikes me as an unfortunate vestige of hard coding in a game which is otherwise beautifully dynamic.

It also seems like the reason why all the suggested terminology sounds a bit awkward: it's a game where relations are immanent and fluid, but then there's this one set of terms that are imposed from above and framed by a particular perspective.

I imagine if modders wanted to model that, they could create their own mechanics to handle that, but since Vicky 3 takes place in the real starting date of 1836, it's not that weird to have the mechanic work that way.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Panzeh posted:

I imagine if modders wanted to model that, they could create their own mechanics to handle that, but since Vicky 3 takes place in the real starting date of 1836, it's not that weird to have the mechanic work that way.

Ok so how about a situation where the game starts historically but then for whatever reason the European powers slide into decline and the Asian powers become industrial powerhouses? I wonder how the game would handle that?

Maybe the Asian powers would start making it onto the Great Powers list despite their unrecognized status (it sounds like being unrecognized just makes it harder to become a GP but not impossible) and then when enough of them are on the list everything would flip and the European powers would become the unrecognized ones?

It all depends on whether your recognized/unrecognized status is determined by your diplomatic status with the GP list (so can change as the GP list changes), or if it really is just a hardcoded flag.

To be clear none of this is really criticism it's just fun to think about. :)

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It literally says in the blog that it's the current Great Powers list and not hard-coded.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Fellblade posted:

It literally says in the blog that it's the current Great Powers list and not hard-coded.

I hope so but I was reading "countries start the game either Unrecognized or Recognized" from the dev diary as a bit ambiguous on that point. This bit definitely makes it sound dynamic:

"it is a measure of whether the reigning (probably mostly European) Great Powers, as a whole, see the country as a potential equal"

But we don't know enough yet to say how it'll work for sure.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I imagine in the scenario you've described modders will have to make it so that every power starts off unrecognized. When the balance shifts some sort of mechanic or event will give some country Recognized status. Then existing mechanics will quickly spread it to some other countries.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Maybe but I'm hopeful the base game will also be able to handle the possibility of Asia becoming the locus of world power. I mean it's unlikely given the start date but it shouldn't be totally impossible.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It certainly sounds like it could happen pretty organically, as various asian nations are first recognized by the existing great powers, and then supplant them.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
The dev diary says that one way of going from Unrecognised to Recognised is to bloody the nose of a great power, and if the Official Great Powers Club winds up weaker than China or Ethiopia or Mysore or whoever, that's probably gonna happen pretty quickly, because loving around where you aren't wanted is what great powers do.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

fuf posted:

I hope so but I was reading "countries start the game either Unrecognized or Recognized" from the dev diary as a bit ambiguous on that point.

I don't think that line particularly suggests anything hardcoded? If anything it suggests otherwise - if you START in a given state that implies the possibility of change, otherwise you'd just say "countries are either Unrecognized or Recognized."

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Tomn posted:

I don't think that line particularly suggests anything hardcoded? If anything it suggests otherwise - if you START in a given state that implies the possibility of change, otherwise you'd just say "countries are either Unrecognized or Recognized."

Oh yeah it can definitely change as the game progresses - we know that unrecognized nations can become recognized and that's one of their goals.

But I don't think we know totally for sure whether the initial recognized/unrecognized status is calculated dynamically at the start of the game, or if it's manually specified.

Like if you went in and tweaked some economic values so that different nations were on the GP list at the start of the game, would that also automatically change the distribution of recognized/unrecognized nations?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Achievement: The Tower of Bundon: As a Chinese Great Power, have a treaty port concession in an British Unrecognized Major Power.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Southampton Concession

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

fuf posted:

Oh yeah it can definitely change as the game progresses - we know that unrecognized nations can become recognized and that's one of their goals.

But I don't think we know totally for sure whether the initial recognized/unrecognized status is calculated dynamically at the start of the game, or if it's manually specified.

Like if you went in and tweaked some economic values so that different nations were on the GP list at the start of the game, would that also automatically change the distribution of recognized/unrecognized nations?
It’s always sounded like a configuration flag to me. That’s probably as it should be, since it grants more control to modders than tying them to a function that is likely locked inside the binary.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fuf posted:

Considering that if you're modding the initial economic status of nations, you can just as easily mod the recognized/unrecognized status to match what you want, I'm going to say that having it be manually specified is just clearly better in every possible way than trying to come up with some series of dynamic rules that will give the desired results in the historical scenario.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Jabor posted:

Considering that if you're modding the initial economic status of nations, you can just as easily mod the recognized/unrecognized status to match what you want, I'm going to say that having it be manually specified is just clearly better in every possible way than trying to come up with some series of dynamic rules that will give the desired results in the historical scenario.

Exactly, because again, this mechanism isn’t supposed to represent any tangible merits of the country in question. Calculating that stuff is what the normal power score for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fray posted:

Exactly, because again, this mechanism isn’t supposed to represent any tangible merits of the country in question. Calculating that stuff is what the normal power score for.
Custom racism for custom setups.