Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

general question : do people let things that aren’t music get in the way of them liking something ?

like maybe it’s too mainstream? or considered passé? it often seems like when people reject mainstream stuff it’s not because the music is bad. maybe they’re just utterly tired of the genre and I can accept that

but personally i’ll like something even if it’s mega mainstream and passé because maybe I like it. hosed up and true

never apologize for liking things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Midjack posted:

never apologize for liking things.
Unless it's The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Sombrerotron posted:

well i mean andrew eldritch keeps on insisting neither he nor the sisters of mercy as such are goth, so, well, you know

none of the first bands from the 70s/early 80s that get described as goth these days were goth, they were just rock or punk bands. the genre was invented to describe them after the fact

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

see ellie this is why we get along

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

tell me this isn't a bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zGk0k34tGs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

who's been recording my meetings?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Remember when having a TV that size was such an absurd concept that they played it as a joke, alongside things like wearing two neckties at once or reconstituting a pizza in five seconds from a 3 inch desiccated cookie

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/4O_YMLDvvnw

this is a good version of a song where the dude plays good. the solo is super duper

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also finally this is extremely fucken magical

https://youtu.be/y-E7_VHLvkE

the solo is better than the album version imo

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

That isn't a bop

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

That isn't a bop

:thejoke:
that's a tone-perfect parody song by comedian Jon Daly

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

:thejoke:
that's a tone-perfect parody song by comedian Jon Daly
Yeah if you make artificial poo poo it probably tastes like real poo poo so idc

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

:coolfish:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tilapia-fish-skin-burn-treatment-brazil-2017-5?r=AU&IR=T

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cancelled Spotify because gently caress joe rogan, so whats the best alternative? I'm kinda torn between apple music and youtube music right now I'm leaning toward youtube because my understanding is it lets you play any video uploaded as music?

I've gone back to buying vinyl of records I like and playing them on a relatively cheap sony turntable. Pretending the outside world does not exist and I live on an island within an island.

Feels good man

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

yeah i've had tidal for almost a year, and it's p. deece. only used the playlist thing a few times, but it's got me down pat.

Crown Lands fuckin slaps, you have excellent taste

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKbmQ4Cs08

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

tidal is good but I wish they'd fix their loving artist listings so that it doesn't just go "oh same name? Must be the same artist!" And I think there's new stuff from some band and nope, just a new soft dad rock band with the same name!

also they no longer have The Jetzons album on there :mad:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tidal kept recommending rap music to me

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

echinopsis posted:

and?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Base Emitter posted:

none of the first bands from the 70s/early 80s that get described as goth these days were goth, they were just rock or punk bands. the genre was invented to describe them after the fact
idk precisely when the term "goth" became commonplace and bands started to self-identify as such, but seems like critics at least were already using the term to describe them around 1980 and even apart from that i'd argue that by the time of floodland's release in 1987 both the subculture and style of music had become differentiated enough from other rock genres, punk or even post-punk that they were obviously their own thing

in short: andrew eldritch is and was like super duper goth and i'll tell that to his face !! (but only while i'm well out of arms' reach and certain he is not carrying any firearms)

p.s.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

canceled years-old spotify family plan a few days ago

currently trying out tidal (free for a month, didnt ask for a cc or anything) and it seems to be functionally the same as spotify, with fewer missing songs. one neat thing i found is a menu where you can get a list of suggestions based on the current song, which feels like a big improvement over spotify where you gotta wait for next week's dustbin selection of things you still don't like

so tidal looks Fine so far but i figure i'll try apple music next if theres some catch with tidal that i haven't found yet

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

he only listens to country i think

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

listen to wu tang

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Can someone post the old (parody?) webcomic with 'A beer for my superhero friend! *punch* I like my beer like I like my rap music - none at all'

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

idk precisely when the term "goth" became commonplace and bands started to self-identify

everyone loved nirvanas keyboardist, but which good band ever identified themselves as goth?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

tidal is good but I wish they'd fix their loving artist listings so that it doesn't just go "oh same name? Must be the same artist!" And I think there's new stuff from some band and nope, just a new soft dad rock band with the same name!
yeah, i was gonna say that's a big downfall of their way of doing things. the alternative would be how Discogs does it, but then you'd have all these bands like name(2), name(4), and not a clear way to distinguish them

although it may be better now because showing "all albums" for Belly (the Tanya Donnelly band) now doesn't mix in Belly (the rapper), although the links on some of the songs of the former go to the latter lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Can someone post the old (parody?) webcomic with 'A beer for my superhero friend! *punch* I like my beer like I like my rap music - none at all'

i remember that one

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3QfRJsF9Pk

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
loving music in the epic bacon way ftw

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

good movie

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

did anyone ever figure out why that kids head is smashed in like that

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's great. if it had said "identity-theft" it might have made some kind of sense, but that's too straight forward for boyce.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

Remember when having a TV that size was such an absurd concept that they played it as a joke, alongside things like wearing two neckties at once or reconstituting a pizza in five seconds from a 3 inch desiccated cookie

the video walls of fahrenheit 451 are home versions of the mandalorian film set basically

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

it's the music recommendation that hurts my feelings the most from The Algorithm. "hey, based on what you're listening to, we think you like RHCP" and I get a little sad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
What do these movies have in common?

- The Big Lebowski
- Toy Story 4
- Inside Out (the Pixar movie)
- Less Than Zero
- Back to the Future II & III
- Queen & Slim
- Baby Driver
- Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
- The Outsiders

Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers is in all of them, always in some tiny bit part. What the hell?