Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Politics_co_uk/status/1488807405010006016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

EvilHawk posted:

It's kind of funny that everyone's Very Mad about this Saville remark, but there's been absolutely nothing about Boris accusing the Labour frontbenchers of taking drugs. You'd think someone in the media would have picked up on that.

Too much jeapordy considering the drug taking suspected on the government benches. There probably is evidence of this happening and its a can of worms.

With the nonce stuff well they could bring up Ted heath I suppose but easily countered with Peter Mandelson and Rotherham grooming gangs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Already gone. What was it?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

Already gone. What was it?

That's weird. It was linking to Gove suggests Treasury did not OK ‘everything he wanted’ for Levelling Up agenda, where it sounds like he's already trying to make excuses before the full plan is announced.

In other news, loving hell....

https://twitter.com/wudzee0/status/1430183156955680783

e: It's from August last year, but loving hell...

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 2, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I assume the raids are going to be targeted at Oxbridge colleges, right?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

wonder if Johnsons going to bother showing g up for PMQs today, or is he still partying in Kiev?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/snb19692/status/1488810450104033284

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bug Squash posted:

Things are still bad and all, but not that long ago the polls had the Torys with a 20 point lead despite constant scandals. And you know there's only going to be more scandals because the PM is a dipshit.

I honestly don't give a single poo poo anymore

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Was he badly hurt?

Nah, embarrassed more than anything. Fortunately he fell into the 6' so there was plenty of ballast between him and the next track.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/humanfactors...ift%20patterns.

Managing rail staff fatigue (this is from 2013 so not sure if there's a newer one).

https://www.orr.gov.uk/media/10934
I've lost track (pun not intended) of the infrastructure maintenance arrangements now. Are you employed by contractor or by Network Rail?

Contractor, most people are these days. They talk a big game about safety, but when the job needs doing it all goes out the window. You protest about something and it all turns into a Four Yorkshire Men sketch "In my day you didn't even have a shovel you had to dig with your knob."

Thanks for looking up some info. I've heard quite a few complaints about lack of staff and people not turning up for shifts and frankly I can understand it. On Sunday we were given a 30 minute lunch break for the 12 hour shift and the guy giving it to us acted like he was doing us a favour.

Total Meatlove posted:

Yer this is something the HSE is increasingly interested in and Bessantj please raise concerns with a union rep.

Getting a union rep is probably a good idea.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 2, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

If thats a public place (is it?) surely he has as much right to be there as some camera crew and the little runt?

hold on... is that churchill there as well?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

bessantj posted:

Getting a union rep is probably a good idea.

I would suggest it very much is. In the utilities sector there was, tragically, a double fatality caused by fatigued workers travelling back from a worksite and coming off the road in their car. It led to a complete re-work of shift pattern monitoring - which got some people's backs up because suddenly they weren't able to do 80 hour weeks and then clock on for weekend overtime. Getting home safe is much more important than anything else.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GabrielShoo/status/1488782274669731842

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bit lovely to film the bloke without his permission like that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Laughing my absolute loving arse off

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Bit lovely to film the bloke without his permission like that.

I hope no one gets sacked over this.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
4 edibles with zero tolerance would be brutal. It makes it so much worse because it slow releases compared to smoking it which makes it front loaded. They should just take that guy home and let him go to bed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Depends where the posties got the edibles from, doesn't it?

E: responding to Trickjaw.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

4 edibles with zero tolerance would be brutal. It makes it so much worse because it slow releases compared to smoking it which makes it front loaded. They should just take that guy home and let him go to bed.

Yeah that poor fucker is gonna be off the planet for, like, 48 hours, he won't be able to make a bowl of cereal let alone work

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

People will unfortunately be sacked for it. It explains at the end of the video that the brownies were meant to have been for a house delivery, but the house was empty and there was no return address. The package had been kicking around the office for a month, and so someone decided to open it share them around.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Total Meatlove posted:

I would suggest it very much is. In the utilities sector there was, tragically, a double fatality caused by fatigued workers travelling back from a worksite and coming off the road in their car. It led to a complete re-work of shift pattern monitoring - which got some people's backs up because suddenly they weren't able to do 80 hour weeks and then clock on for weekend overtime. Getting home safe is much more important than anything else.

A former boyfriend was a Charge Nurse in a private hospital in London - on permanent nights. Supposed to be 12 hours x 7 on 7 off, but 12 hours was routinely 14 doing handovers etc, and when he was supposed to be 'off' they would call him in during the day, plus also if his oppo with whom he alternated shifts was on a course or whatever, he would end up sometimes doing 10-12 or more nights in a row with no breaks. There should have been 3 of them covering all the night shifts but the hospital was too cheapskate to employ a third (early 1990s, pay was £25k so in the scale of things not a lot considering the responsibility - at night if he was on duty he was the most senior person in the hospital and woe betide calling in one of the consultants from their fancy mansions out in the posh bits of outer London if concerned about a patient - anything really serious call the NHS ambulance.)

Anyway, he was driving home from work along the Westway and several times fell asleep and woke up with his head literally banging on the steering wheel. I finally persuaded him to get taxis home.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 2, 2022

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

I think at one point the biggest danger to rail workers was vehicle crashes from fatigue. They have changed some things and made it better but some things could be changed just for better quality of life.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't know how to embed a video from the bbc so just click this link to watch it.

These bollards are a menace (trashing all these cars). :stare:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-60203582

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

fuctifino posted:

People will unfortunately be sacked for it. It explains at the end of the video that the brownies were meant to have been for a house delivery, but the house was empty and there was no return address. The package had been kicking around the office for a month, and so someone decided to open it share them around.

Well that's even shittier then, why film and share your workmates if it's going to get them fired? Person who posted that must be a right bellend.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1488775856675766273

I'm loving all of this. On one hand it's helping to destroy the Tories, and on the other, it's helping to destroy Labour.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jippa posted:

I don't know how to embed a video from the bbc so just click this link to watch it.

Is there not some minimum width they have to make those? Does it comply? Send unbelievable that people would keep driving into it, but we'll they seem to. It's like a cartoon character drawing a tunnel entrance on a brick wall.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If thats a public place (is it?) surely he has as much right to be there as some camera crew and the little runt?

No, College Green is private property (there's little signs on the edge of it to remind you) but I can't remember if it belongs to Parliament or to 11 Millbank (the building to the south of it that's a broadcast centre for the Beeb and Sky News, bought specifically so they could do interviews in front of Parliament without people shouting poo poo at them).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

E: beaten, and corrected!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Lol Starmer going out of his way at PMQs to bring up the Saville thing again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People are calling me 'the nonce defender' and it's not true. I'm not mad but I need you to know it's not true. I'm not 'the nonce defender', so stop calling me that.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is there not some minimum width they have to make those? Does it comply? Send unbelievable that people would keep driving into it, but we'll they seem to. It's like a cartoon character drawing a tunnel entrance on a brick wall.

If I remember right these are a 7 foot restriction, which is wider than most of these kinds of things which are usually 6 foot 6 inches.

Basically it’s poor drivers who are both going too fast and do not know the width of their vehicle or road positioning.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Car drivers complain because they have to pay attention is nothing new, they're just finally seeing repercussions for their lovely driving and having a tantrum

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think if enough people crash into something in such a short space of time it probably means it's badly designed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I wonder how long, in minutes, it'll take for them to complain about lorries using the road after the bollards are removed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jippa posted:

Cowards at the BBC who wouldn't put Yakety Sax over this footage.

If I was on the local council I'd combine skinny bollards with one of those low-hanging bridges to ensure maximum carmageddon

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Joe Lycett starting off making a good point about why the parties are cutting through, and then unfortunately melting into a big pile of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/joelycett/status/1487076326196535308?t=fNNpVZmMVUi8OyncswI18A&s=19

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jippa posted:

I think if enough people crash into something in such a short space of time it probably means it's badly designed.

It’s a not particularly narrow width restriction on a straight road with good visibility. I get where you’re coming from but how many concessions should be made to people who simply aren’t very good at operating their vehicles?

In the video in the article aside from possibly the vans none of those cars should have had a problem getting through the restriction, especially what appears to be a Toyota Aygo which is one of the smallest cars on the market.

In nearly all cases the drivers have gone too far to the left (poor spatial awareness) and have gone too fast, so instead of a nasty scrape their car rides up the kerb and smacks into the bollard.

It’s automotive natural selection at this point really.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I wonder how long, in minutes, it'll take for them to complain about lorries using the road after the bollards are removed.

I think you could measure it in seconds.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 2, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure what the point of the bollards is? Like if you hit the kerb you'll still know about it, if you want people to slow down then a speed hump is better.

Just seems silly to have them there if the only thing they do is turn someone loving up their suspension into something that necessitates a recovery operation.

If you specifically want to keep HGVs out you could do the thing where you have to slalom across both sides of the road, or space some speed bumps so they catch one wheel of an HGV or something.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

That article isn't particularly helpful without a view of what the cars see when they think they can get through.

As it is you just think "those idiots with no depth perception shouldn't be on the road!"

(I am also an idiot with no depth perception, but I know this and don't drive.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That genuinely looks absolutely awful to drive through. If a gap were that size and wasn't part of the road I just wouldn't do it.

have a look for yourself

There is literally a 30 foot bus lane in the middle just to make cars go through that, absolute idiot design IMO.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Umbra Dubium posted:

That article isn't particularly helpful without a view of what the cars see when they think they can get through.

As it is you just think "those idiots with no depth perception shouldn't be on the road!"

(I am also an idiot with no depth perception, but I know this and don't drive.)

oops beaten but also that van has just got through it

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 2, 2022