Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

very horrified to learn that maduro ordered his goons to murder anyone who signed this recall petition which was obviously extremely well known to the people of venezuela

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Maduro is more popular than Gavin Newsom

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Some Guy TT posted:

very horrified to learn that maduro ordered his goons to murder anyone who signed this recall petition which was obviously extremely well known to the people of venezuela

Maduro waited for them to reach a nice round number before sending in the goon squad

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Much like the Maduro regime, the Newsom regime is also under attack.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

A "This proves Maduro is cracking down on dissent" article is going to happen for this though, if it's even reported on at all, and the question is which rag does it first.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

420 Gank Mid posted:

Congratulations to new governor Juan Guaido

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

What an amateur mistake to try and collect signatures in Venezuela when they could have just done it in the US.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Peggotty posted:

What an amateur mistake to try and collect signatures in Venezuela when they could have just done it in the US.

:hmmyes:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
remember it’s the votes in Miami that are the only ones that count

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's only 2.3 million Cuban-Americans so it still wouldn't be enough signatures. Only about 500k Venezuelan-Americans. Not even enough combined.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Why would you want a recall against Maduro anyway? Juan Guaido is the internationally widely recognized, legitimate, Interim President of Venezuela!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/amigoaguilar/status/1486780434398732289?s=20&t=gi92w6c0wj9d5UBvknVkgA

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

king

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
https://twitter.com/GYamey/status/1487928273103425541?cxt=HHwWisC4mbG4l6YpAAAA

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Jan 31, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BitcoinMagazine/status/1488127968144760837

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I wonder if the government of El Salvador has 1 Bitcoin wallet for the entire country, it would be a shame if someone MtGox'd that

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Castillo seems to be having trouble with his administration. He's forming his third cabinet (Consejo de Ministros) in 6 months after the resignation of 2 ministers including the head of the cabinet or primera ministra Mirtha Vásquez.
https://twitter.com/PedroCastilloTe/status/1488246546038677507?t=0HbhmVcyliywMnwMa4l40Q&s=19

America Inc. has issued a correction as of 09:38 on Feb 1, 2022

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

quarantinethepast posted:

Castillo seems to be having trouble with his administration. He's forming his third cabinet (Consejo de Ministros) in 6 months after the resignation of 2 ministers including the head of the cabinet or primera ministra Mirtha Vásquez.
https://twitter.com/PedroCastilloTe/status/1488246546038677507?t=0HbhmVcyliywMnwMa4l40Q&s=19

The latest crisis happened because the Interior Minister (Avelino Guillen, former public attorney who put Fujimori behind bars and has a spotless reputation) accused the high officers of the PNP (National Police) of corruption and opposed some reshuffling of officers (and wanted to promote some other officers). Since that was in the hands of the president and the president said and did jack poo poo about it, Avelino Guillen took it as a sign that the president was supporting the cop brass and sent a letter of resignation. Castillo then said "porque no los dos" and accepted the letter of resignation AND fired the Police General which precipitated most factions to be mad at him and the rest of the Cabinet, who stood by Guillén, to resign as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol the UK is currently.high inflation and I think negative growth or basically 0%. Bolivia's inflation is 0.9%

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1488556947188203523?t=h0wTTI29AC3lzsMZe_kdHA&s=19

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I like the way he uses the term "internal demand" to refer to just giving people some motherfucking money.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the MAS government has been incredibly clever in a great many ways and even an outright coup didn't stick. masters of politics.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
always been a big fan of this ol' tweet re: bolivian economy under MAS

https://twitter.com/Licualopodo/status/1318160822414282758?s=20&t=-XMobOQAziq6whx3MELFzw

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jose posted:

Lol the UK is currently.high inflation and I think negative growth or basically 0%. Bolivia's inflation is 0.9%

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1488556947188203523?t=h0wTTI29AC3lzsMZe_kdHA&s=19

wow! I think you mean that seemingly incredible growth numbers are in fact undermined by inflation fears and government spending!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

whoops

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jose posted:

loving lol there's a genuine anez stan in the comments

Does Bolivia have the death penalty?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the State Department is dragging out the "Cuban doctors are slaves" talking point
https://twitter.com/WHAAsstSecty/status/1489242337419182082?s=20&t=VAxcCtMVdZvmN7SAA3E-Hw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Atrocious Joe posted:

the State Department is dragging out the "Cuban doctors are slaves" talking point
https://twitter.com/WHAAsstSecty/status/1489242337419182082?s=20&t=VAxcCtMVdZvmN7SAA3E-Hw

Holy poo poo the balls to say this when the US has massive slavery.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pedro still making all the best decisions possible

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

i say swears online posted:

pedro still making all the best decisions possible

:rip:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'd say "0% approval rating speedrun" but honestly can't remember who was the last (elected) president of Peru who wasn't gunning for that

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Castillo is about to come down with every type of COVID

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

his guts are already filling with poop

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
All our guts are filling with poop, that's what they do.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

the MAS government has been incredibly clever in a great many ways and even an outright coup didn't stick. masters of politics.

american coups aint what they used to be but still any nominally left wing governmen that can survive and thrive in this era is a miracle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean to be fair a large reason the Coup failed is because Anez decided to antagonize literally everyone that wasn’t her narrow base.

it was hilariously insane

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean to be fair a large reason the Coup failed is because Anez decided to antagonize literally everyone that wasn’t her narrow base.

it was hilariously insane

It also failed because MAS is a legitimately popular and activist political movement with strong support from Bolivia's workers, which meant that even cut off from all the levers of institutional power they could still mobilize enough popular support to shut down the entire economy unless Anez ceded power. There's not much you can do, even with the police and military on your side, when most of the country refuses to work and even shooting them doesn't make them start again.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

vyelkin posted:

It also failed because MAS is a legitimately popular and activist political movement with strong support from Bolivia's workers, which meant that even cut off from all the levers of institutional power they could still mobilize enough popular support to shut down the entire economy unless Anez ceded power. There's not much you can do, even with the police and military on your side, when most of the country refuses to work and even shooting them doesn't make them start again.

Yes it's strange to give so much of the credit to the CIA being idiots/Anez instead of the resiliency of the people fighting against the coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

vyelkin posted:

this

leftist competence being thrown aside is a sadly too-common mistake of analysis