Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Omobono posted:

I just noticed. I'd guess weird interaction from Orleans' singularity and the way Chaldea registers heroic spirits for future summonings.

He's actually summonable before clearing Orleans being one of the on launch servants, and the reason why Vlad is considered a Berserker in F/GO is because he has "Curse of the Vampire" active. You know the one Noble Phantasm he absolutely refuses to use without being forced to, and since he's got in active willingly, it's assumed by Chadala's staff that this vlad is completely insane, which is why he's a berserker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update XLIII - Death Circus - VS Lancer

Kotomine drops in.

Music: Down to Dawn

And we go over our info.

My opponent this time...a creepy party clown, Lil' Ronnie. It's hard to believe she's a girl. Her Servant is insanely powerful, too— And that Servant wearing the black armor, what was it he relied on when he was alive—?

The divine protection of religion.

Though her Servant spoke highly of his religion, he also mentioned how he was ultimately betrayed by it. If true, I can't imagine the anger he felt after being betrayed by something he had absolute faith in. I think my unease about it came more from his intensely ominous aura then anything else. But, every time I've expected something to go wrong, it has. When I fought with her Servant in the Arena, I recognized the terrifying truth behind his class and identity. His true identity is that of—

the vampire, Dracula.

Right, his name became synonymous with vampirism and he became a figure of fear for succeeding generations. He's a monster that would defeat me soundly were he to use his full strength against me. Of course, the most useful bit of information came as a prize for winning Kotomine's enemy hunt. It was info on his battle technique. His ultimate technique was called-

They couldn't even be bothered to change the wrong answers here.

Kazikli Bey.

It's name is "Kazikli Bey: Fortress of Impalement." A field of spears drenched in blood, a fitting attack for Vlad III, the Impaler Prince known as Dracula.

But I have Rin on my side as well as my Servant, Caster. I can't be defeated. I won't be defeated. While he is a monster who willingly abandoned his humanity, I am a Master of one who stands for everything he is not.

Character Background posted:

Considered a heroic figure in Romanian history, he was seen as a noble warrior who rebuilt and maintained the kingdom of Wallachia as well as the shield of Christendom against the threat of the Ottoman Empire.

The name Dracula was the most common appellate used when referring to Vlad III during his reign as King of Wallachia. Originally a duke appointed to his office under the auspices of the Eastern Roman Empire, he adopted many of the customs of that country's court, including signing all documents in the early Roman style. The name itself comes from his father's (Vlad II) enrollment into the Order of the Dragon, a monarchial chivalric order founded by Sigismund of Hungary, who later ascended to the throne of the Holy Roman Empire. His father took the surname Dracul and Vlad III appended the "a", signifying that he was "the son of Dracul."

The Order of the Dragon's primary purpose was to defend the Christian world from the increasing influence and might of the Islamic Ottoman Empire, a calling that Vlad III enthusiastically embraced. It is believed by some that he took the name Dracula not only in honor of his father, but as also as an announcement of his intentions of safeguarding all of Christendom against the Turks as the "Son of the Dragon."

In order to protect Wallachia from what he considered the ravaging Turkish hordes, he instituted a series of conscriptions and laws that almost destroyed the noble class and the stability of his realm, as well as resorted to measures considered to be beyond monstrous even by the somewhat barbaric standards of the time. His cruelty and savagery was such that at one point he had over 20,000 captured enemy soldiers impaled in an effort to intimidate his foes. In the end he was betrayed by the nobles he had turned his back on and was assassinated at the age of 46 years old.

Music: None

Stat-wise, I'll be using the same build as the main timeline: All magic, all the time.

Video: Week 4 Elimination Battle

Remember, the only way to leave the Coliseum is to win. If you are ready, I will open the gate.

Enter the Coliseum

The way to the Coliseum is now open, young Master. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will return. Remember: It's kill or be killed.

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

...hEy, whAt dO YOu think thE Best FooD in tHe woRld iS?

Food made from the finest ingredients.

evEn tHE cHoiCesT oF MEat wiLL Be MAdE inEDIble if IT's oVercOOkED. COOkinG is A sUBtle arT ANd ThE BESt INgrediENTS MeaN NOTHINg IF tHey arEn'T PrePARed wIth CarE.

~

Food made by the one you love.

Oh, SO yOU Do UnderSTANd. We MIGht gET AloNG, YoU anD i. buT If YouR inGREDients aRE lACKinG, nO MAttER HoW MUCh YoU LIKe thE PERson, ThEiR DiSh wiLL be FOUL.

~

Why should I tell you?

~~

...Why are you dressed like that?

This one skips a set of questions.

LiL' roNNIE Is THe OfFIcIaL masCOT FOr a fAMouS FAst FooD ChaIN. I EvEN haD 1T CuSToM MAde tO maTcH thE CHAin'S oFfCIAl coLOrs. iT's One oF a KinD. WheNEVeR i WAlK ARounD ToWN, KIds arE aLWayS ruNNinG up TO ME. LiL' roNNiE iS SO PoPuLaR.

Oh god she is McDonalds!

~

You like to cook?

i LiKE eatING thINgs thAt I LoVE eveN mORe.

oh no

tHE MORe You LiKE it, ThE mORE DeliCIOUs it beCOMes.

oh no

IT bROke a WIng aND coulD no LONgeR fLy, sO LiL' RONNie Ate hER UP! IT WAs so DELICiouS! NOTHing ELse I HAVe EVEr EatEN SIncE hAs EveN ConE CLOse in SaVOR.

You ate...your pet?

AnD anYWAY, HuMANS haVe alwaYS TakeN the LIVes of OTHeR THIngS iN ORDeR To EaT Them. ANd LiL' ROnNiE diD SaY "THanK YOu" To MISS PEggY wHEn SHe atE HeR, BEcAuse ShE LIKed heR.

~

You're into some twisted things.

iF IT'S nOt PoIsOnOuS, YoU CAN EaT It. AnD reMEMber THaT EVEry MeAL is PrECIous...mY PRECIous... ANd NEvER TreAT AnyTHINg yOU wANt to EAt iN aN unSeeMLY OR CRUde maNNer. sO Do NOt WOrrY abOUt a ThiNg. I WiLL TreAT yoU WitH loVIng tenDERneSS anD CarE.

:magical:

~~

WhEnEvER I sEE FooD in FRonT OF ME whEN I'm HUNGry, iT MAKeS mE WAnT soMEthIng REallY YUMMy.

aLL THE peOPLe I LoveD. i'M SO HAppY thERE arE SO MAnY gOOd THIngs To eaT.

:magical::magical::magical:

mY tiNY, soFT, cutE, PREciouS liTTLE babY.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'Ve Run OUt OF gOOd thINGS to EaT. I geT saD wHEn I'M HunGRY. A WorlD witHOUt FooD iS a BORinG plACe tO Be.

tHAt waY, i'LL ALWayS haVE enOUGh to eaT. THeN iT wiLL tRULy BE a WonDERfuL World.

:stonk:

Asking about her outfit leads here.

I appreciate...unique...people.

~

Stay away from me, you twisted freak!

liKiNG SomeTHIng iS tHE oPPoSiTE oF nOT liKiNG it. *sNiCKeR*

~

I doubt we'll ever be friends.

hMmN... hOW bORinG...

~~

Don'T WoRRy. LiL' RonNiE tHINkS ShE' ll COME TO REALLY LiKE YOU a lot.

K-Kishinami charm strikes again...?

I am incredibly thankful for that elevator divider right now.

I WoNDEr wHat YoU'LL TAsTE LikE. I WaNT to TAkE a BiG biTE. iF I beAT YOU, I WONdER iF I'LL bE AlloWED TO HaVE a TASTe OF YOU? aFTEr aLL, EvERYonE I'VE BEaten So FAr hAS diSAPPearED. It'D bE A WAstE iF YOu DiD, ToO.

The only one allowed to touch or taste my dear Master is me! Not even a single drop of blood will I share!

...Ah, of course I won't touch or taste you Master... At least, not without your permission.

Just the thought of skewering the heart of this noble foe and bathing in their blood makes my soul sing!

A haMBUrgER STeaK wouLD bE NicE. Or MAYbe sTEW? WhICh SHouLD I HavE...?

Solid black pupils stare steadily at me from the two holes in her mask. I cannot succumb to fear now. The curtain for the fourth round has gone up—

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

uH-HUh, LiL' roNNie'S SToMAch iS sO EmPTy. aNd tHeY LOOk tHE yUMmiEsT EvEr. aNd sO, i'M sAD.

Your cravings are more refined than those of a beast who eats to live; your love firmer than dalliance.

—what it is like to go mad from love. It is beautiful.

Silence! We starve as one. Rejoice, my wife. These two are worthy of being loved!

yEs. tHEy LOok tASty!

Compared to Arc in Rani's route, Vlad is a much, much easier fight.

But he still manages to get one kill on me.

He'll always open with his Guard buff followed by a seal_break(); from Ronnie.

In a small bit of mercy, he'll rarely use Guard on the same turn he buffs up, so you don't have to worry about getting blindsided.

If the Seal misses, then Vlad focusing on Guards will let me leech back a ton of MP.

It doesn't.

MusTArd? kETchUp? MArmAlADe?

And by 'focusing on Guard,' I mean that there's a good chance he'll only use Guard on the next round. If the Seal doesn't land, you can throw out 6 Breaks and break him in half. If it did, you just have to spam Guard and waste time staring at each other.

But since I can't use normal attacks this round, I decide to finally try out Bestial Sky.

The damage is good, but I'd still prefer to use that MP on a second Curse to brute force more actions.

Beyond that, the fight is just standard Extra combat. Vlad will only use offensive skills on his fourth action, so there's no risk of wasting Aphotic Cave on a buff.

Turns out that the regen on the Seraphic Music Box outpaces Ronnie's poison by a lot. :v:

Vlad will almost always reapply Rebellious Intent as soon as it falls off, and Ronnie's follow-up makes it easy to see even if you don't get the skill revealed.

But he won't always go all Guards next turn.

A few more hits push him below 10K HP. In total, Vlad has around 17K HP, a touch less than Arc. Combined with him lacking a regen skill, and Vlad dies much faster than her, on top of dealing much less damage.

On top of that, his Noble Phantasm condition is going below 50%, so he can't even surprise you with it early in the fight.

EveRYOnE's tHe sAme AFTeR aLL, iT's AlL BLACK inSiDe mY sTomACh.

He still breaks the Level E Matrix rule, however. His NP will only show up if you'd reveal it naturally.

Kazikli Bey ignores Guard, but much like Nursery Rhyme's anti-Guard skill from last week, it can't do anything against a Skill like Aphotic Cave.

Sacrifice is an exclusive status ailment that acts like super Poison.

Really super poison.

I mEaN, I'Ve neVeR SEEn a gOD bEfORe.

drat, it missed. I was curious if Vlad's 300 damage Sacrifice could be overwritten by Ronnie's 30 damage poison.

The fight goes smoothly after that.

And a few turns later...

The Impaler Prince falls.

Music: Stops

The body of the black-clothed Servant lurches up dramatically. A blood-red teardrop trickles from a dulled eye.

He manages to drag himself back up.

Only to fall again.

And the barrier goes up.

Music: Game Over

To be turned by foul blood is a fate I wish on no one, though I deserve it for skewering my countrymen.

Slumped over and leaking blood, the loony Servant still manages a crooked smile.

tHEn i GOTTa cHoMp, cHoMp YOu uP. IT's rEAlly SAd, bUT I gOTTa eAt yOu.

...*Cackle* You wished to devour the opponents you defeated, but were not allowed to take a single bite of any. Even a life without sanity, so long as it is human, can be redeemed. That is the beauty of being human. Like all human souls, yours can still be saved. Purgatory will be your new home; mine is hell.

Farewell, Vlad Tepes III.

The macabre party clown looks at his swirling ashes blankly before her eyes pop open and she stares at me.

I can't tell if her crazed gaze is predatory or loving— The two things must be grotesquely intertwined in this clown's mind. I don't know the true intentions she conceals with that mask.

She moves over to where Vlad was.

The clown falls to her hands and knees in the puddle left by her departed Servant. Squirming, but not in pain so much as like a spoiled child.

liL' rONNiE, sHe'S GonNA diE, tOo.

LiL' RoNNie wOULda MADe THe tAStiEsT tASty MEAl frOm yOU. LiL' rONniE wOULd hAVe LOVeD YOu mOSTEST. aaAwWhh... I'M hUNGry.

Good riddence, Lil' Ronnie.

Seraphic Monstrosity (A) posted:

Dracula. Once the name of a proud family worthy of honor and respect, it is now a name given to a monster whose past has been grossly distorted as a result of his actions in his mortal life. The influence of perception has transformed both his abilities and appearance. Also, this skill cannot be altered or removed.

Dracula posted:

Known as one of the greatest monsters of modern history, the inevitable distortions and exaggerations of scholars throughout the centuries cannot wholly cover the well-documented horrors and atrocities conmitted by his direct commands. Although he is seen as a hero and savior by some, the lengths he went to preserve the independence of Wallachia and to repel the Turks will forever paint him as an incarnation of satanic evil on Earth.

1462 AD
This was the year in which he first used impaling not only as punishment, but also as a form of psychological warfare in order to slow down the advances of the Turkish invasion into the western kingdoms. With a force of just 10,000 troops, Vlad III made extensive use of what are now known as guerilla and scorched-earth tactics to harass and weaken the enemy forces, which at one points consisted of over 150,000 soldiers. At one point, he drove his forces into the Carpathian Mountains after annihilating the Turkish forces surrounding the city of Bucharest.

The scene that the main Turkish force encountered when they finally arrived to help the city was one of nightmares. Surrounding the entire city was a vast forest comprised entirely of impaled soldiers, some 20,000 in total. It is said that the lines of impaled Turks stretched for kilometers in every direction. The sight of their comrades' bodies impaled on stakes in combination with the overpowering stench of decay broke the morale and spirit of the Turkish army. Even Mehmed II, son of the Turkish sultan and known as the Conqueror, was shaken and ordered his forces to withdraw, saying the following:

"I fear no man alive, but even I cannot hope to fight the devil."

In the end, Vlad III rationalized his brutality and his lack of remorse gave him a battle vision far superior to those he faced. However, his actions made him a pariah amongst even his supporters and his life came to a tragic end due to betrayal.

On an unrelated note, many military historians theorize that Vlad's actions against the Turks are the first time that guerilla warfare tactics made their appearance and that they were the reason for his many successes against a demonstratively superior force. If one is to have so much success defending something only to be repaid with treason and assassination, isn't it reasonable to assume that one would go insane from rage and disappointment?

Next time: Tell him I can't see him!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 15, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLIII.I - Reaction, not quite good

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

I didn't immediately die this time, but that was because I was terrified he would pull an Arcueid and drop an NP on me turn 1 and wanted to check before the actual fight.

Thankfully his Guard buff is huge.

Music: Game Over

For once, I'm really happy for the kill barrier.

Onward! Next time we will find a soul you can consume with your love. Until then, we shall both starve!

OkaAAay... SorRy, LaNcER. ...AawWhhH. i gOt YeLLEd aT.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Information Matrix - Lancer (True Name Revealed)

Kazikli Bey: Fortress of Impalement posted:

This is this Servant's Noble Phantasm and is synonymous with the Servant himself, who in his previous life was known as Kazikli Voyvoda, or the Impaler Prince. The tortures and horrors released by the multitude of spears that this Noble Phantasm summons inflicts damage equivalent to the immorality and depravity found in the soul of the targeted opponent and can be seen as a form of divine punishment.

During the time of his reign as monarch of Wallachia, Vlad instituted a number of somewhat oppressive and punitive policies aimed at the lower levels of the nobility whom Vlad felt had seriously undermined and destabilized his country with their excessive corruption and political maneuverings. In addition to laws designed to curtail their excesses, he also carried out an unprecedented number of impalings amongst the noble classes.

While many believed he was simply trying to reduce the number of rivals and opponents to his rule, Vlad was shockingly ruthless in his approach to justice, targeting commoners and the upper-class with equal viciousness. His kingdom became a land of horrors, culminating with the 1459 impaling of an emissary from the Ottoman Empire, who survived on the stake for several days before finally succumbing.

According to Vatican records, the number of impalements during his mad reign is believed to have reached close to 100,000...not including the soldiers of defeated armies or other victims from outside of his country.

Vampire...? posted:

A demon said to feed on blood. A being some claim to be of the undead, and painted as evil and ungodly by those who hold to a certain religious view of the world. In addition to the need to feed on the blood of humans, creatures such as this also are seemingly imnortal and are able to control lesser demons.

Dracula posted:

Means "Son of the Dragon." His father was a member of the Order of the Dragon, an organization that originated during the rise of the Holy Roman Empire, and he took this name from his father's legacy.

Aegis of the Divine (A+++) posted:

An ability bestowed upon those who have sacrificed themselves for what they believe to be a greater good. Although obstinately a form of divine protection, it does not necessarily mean that that one has received the blessings of the gods. Instead, it is a manifestation of one's absolute faith and self-righteousness...

However, the more powerful this ability becomes, the more detrimental the effect it has on a person's sanity and personality.

Marshal (A) posted:

Gives one the strength and vitality to escape from even the most dire of situations. It also gives one the ability to successfully retreat to allied territory if defeated.

Seraphic Monstrosity (A) posted:

Dracula. Once the name of a proud family worthy of honor and respect, it is now a name given to a monster whose past has been grossly distorted as a result of his actions in his mortal life. The influence of perception has transformed both his abilities and appearance. Also, this skill cannot be altered or removed.

Considered a heroic figure in Romanian history, he was seen as a noble warrior who rebuilt and maintained the kingdom of Wallachia as well as the shield of Christendom against the threat of the Ottoman Empire.

The name Dracula was the most common appellate used when referring to Vlad III during his reign as King of Wallachia. Originally a duke appointed to his office under the auspices of the Eastern Roman Empire, he adopted many of the customs of that country's court, including signing all documents in the early Roman style. The name itself comes from his father's (Vlad II) enrollment into the Order of the Dragon, a monarchial chivalric order founded by Sigismund of Hungary, who later ascended to the throne of the Holy Roman Empire. His father took the surname Dracul and Vlad III appended the "a", signifying that he was "the son of Dracul."

The Order of the Dragon's primary purpose was to defend the Christian world from the increasing influence and might of the Islamic Ottoman Empire, a calling that Vlad III enthusiastically embraced. It is believed by some that he took the name Dracula not only in honor of his father, but as also as an announcement of his intentions of safeguarding all of Christendom against the Turks as the "Son of the Dragon."

In order to protect Wallachia from what he considered the ravaging Turkish hordes, he instituted a series of conscriptions and laws that almost destroyed the noble class and the stability of his realm, as well as resorted to measures considered to be beyond monstrous even by the somewhat barbaric standards of the time. His cruelty and savagery was such that at one point he had over 20,000 captured enemy soldiers impaled in an effort to intimidate his foes. In the end he was betrayed by the nobles he had turned his back on and was assassinated at the age of 46 years old.

Dracula posted:

Known as one of the greatest monsters of modern history, the inevitable distortions and exaggerations of scholars throughout the centuries cannot wholly cover the well-documented horrors and atrocities conmitted by his direct commands. Although he is seen as a hero and savior by some, the lengths he went to preserve the independence of Wallachia and to repel the Turks will forever paint him as an incarnation of satanic evil on Earth.

1462 AD
This was the year in which he first used impaling not only as punishment, but also as a form of psychological warfare in order to slow down the advances of the Turkish invasion into the western kingdoms. With a force of just 10,000 troops, Vlad III made extensive use of what are now known as guerilla and scorched-earth tactics to harass and weaken the enemy forces, which at one points consisted of over 150,000 soldiers. At one point, he drove his forces into the Carpathian Mountains after annihilating the Turkish forces surrounding the city of Bucharest.

The scene that the main Turkish force encountered when they finally arrived to help the city was one of nightmares. Surrounding the entire city was a vast forest comprised entirely of impaled soldiers, some 20,000 in total. It is said that the lines of impaled Turks stretched for kilometers in every direction. The sight of their comrades' bodies impaled on stakes in combination with the overpowering stench of decay broke the morale and spirit of the Turkish army. Even Mehmed II, son of the Turkish sultan and known as the Conqueror, was shaken and ordered his forces to withdraw, saying the following:

"I fear no man alive, but even I cannot hope to fight the devil."

In the end, Vlad III rationalized his brutality and his lack of remorse gave him a battle vision far superior to those he faced. However, his actions made him a pariah amongst even his supporters and his life came to a tragic end due to betrayal.

On an unrelated note, many military historians theorize that Vlad's actions against the Turks are the first time that guerilla warfare tactics made their appearance and that they were the reason for his many successes against a demonstratively superior force. If one is to have so much success defending something only to be repaid with treason and assassination, isn't it reasonable to assume that one would go insane from rage and disappointment?

Battle lines

Battle start

Now then, let the carnival begin.

~

cAn'T waIt… cAn't WAiT!

~~

Command Select

My wife, a sacrifice has arrived.

dELiCIouS, dElIciOUs! (Random)

~

Hahaha! We're invincible! My wife, I'll count on you for the seasoning for this feast.

MusTArd? kETchUp? MArmAlADe? (High health)

~

My wife, it's time for the banquet. (High health)

~

thANkS fOr tHE FOoD!! (High health)

~

Come at me! Not even your dismemberment will satisfy me now!

MiNcEd mEat!! MiNcEd mEaT! MINcEd MeaT! MINCED MEAAAT! (Low health)

~

Your vitality is good. Splendid, even. (Low health)

~

uGh... i'M... HUngRy... (Low health)

~

You immoral fiends! Do you truly believe in your baseless innocence?

EveRYOnE's tHe sAme AFTeR aLL, iT's AlL BLACK inSiDe mY sTomACh. (NP ready)

~

How could this be? God had mercy on you sinners?

I mEaN, I'Ve neVeR SEEn a gOD bEfORe. (NP survived)

~~

Commands confirmed

Let my bloodshed show you my love!

~~

Normal attacks

Come! (Attack)

~

Give praise! (Attack)

~

Fool! (Guard)

~

Blasphemer! (Break)

~

3... StARs! (Extra turn)

~

5... StARs! (Consecutive extra turn)

~

I'll slaughter you! (Extra attack)

~~

Hit reactions

How weak! (Damaged)

~

tHE SpOOn... bENt. (Enemy Extra attack)

~

Are you testing my faith? (Consecutive enemy Extra attack)

~

Ahh, at last... The time to offer up my own body and soul... (Defeated)

~~

Abilities

Your aggression will cost you! (Rebellious Intent)

~

Thoroughly taste my spear of judgement! (Cursed Lance)

~

I shall raise you up as an offering to the heavens! Now die! (Ceremonial Purge)

~

My wife, wet your throat with the spilt blood of this sacrifice! Kazikli Bey! (Noble Phantasm)

~

Hihihihi! thANkS fOr tHE FOoD!! (seal_break())

~

gOtTA sAy GRaCE bEfORe A MeAL! (add_poison())

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 16, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Welp, that was something. Time to never talk about Ronnie again!

And yeah, Seraphic Monstrosity (translated as Innocent Monster in future media) and Aegis of the Divine (translated as Protection of the Faith in future media) are pretty much what made Vlad sliiighty more unhinged that even his Berserker version, who together with his Lancer Apocrypha version lack both of those skills as far as we know. Aparently being a zealot makes you more insane that being insane, who knew!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think it's telling that basically every other heroic spirit keep their character development in Grand Order and mostly kinda remember* their previous masters. See for example Rhyme still keeping her Alice form.

Lancer Vlad: Ronnie who?

*Nasuverse. The full accurate explanation is like 8 rows on a standard monitor and a third of the words are capitalized terms.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
That's what the wikis are for.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Welp, that was something. Time to never talk about Ronnie again!

Sounds good. Though I suppose the plot being divided between a duel with a real (in terms of the setting) and fake vampire makes the choice poetic, or something.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Omobono posted:

I think it's telling that basically every other heroic spirit keep their character development in Grand Order and mostly kinda remember* their previous masters. See for example Rhyme still keeping her Alice form.

Lancer Vlad: Ronnie who?

*Nasuverse. The full accurate explanation is like 8 rows on a standard monitor and a third of the words are capitalized terms.

Actually checking out his interlude has him talking about a woman that seems like it's Ronnie, but it must be based on some material stuff that's untranslated or retconned cause uh, it's kinda different.

She apparently lost her sanity after a stillbirth, refused to eat and that eventually drove her to her "eat what I love" view... except Vlad says she never ate her loved ones, just other things? Kind of a swerve there.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Multiple of Lancer Vlad's story appearances in Grand Order have been heavily about Lil' Ronnie, they just never mention her by name. But more details about that would involve later Extra series spoilers, so I'll not elaborate here.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Actually checking out his interlude has him talking about a woman that seems like it's Ronnie, but it must be based on some material stuff that's untranslated or retconned cause uh, it's kinda different.

She apparently lost her sanity after a stillbirth, refused to eat and that eventually drove her to her "eat what I love" view... except Vlad says she never ate her loved ones, just other things? Kind of a swerve there.

I managed to find a translation of the Extra Materials book, and it says that, "Run Ru (her JP name) lost her beloved child while giving birth, and that made her lose her sanity."

However, the Materials book came out after CCC (and includes info about it, so be careful if you look for it yourself), so no clue this was a full-on retcon or some kind of flubbed translation.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

BisbyWorl posted:

I managed to find a translation of the Extra Materials book, and it says that, "Run Ru (her JP name) lost her beloved child while giving birth, and that made her lose her sanity."

However, the Materials book came out after CCC (and includes info about it, so be careful if you look for it yourself), so no clue this was a full-on retcon or some kind of flubbed translation.

...Run Ru. Of course she actually was a demented Ronald McDonald knockoff, and that wasn't just added in localization.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-sQLQw6-0Y

I have seen this NP so much. Extra!Vlad is my anti-Evil beating stick extraordinaire.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLIV - Invisible Servant

Another week, another speech.

After starting with 999 potential Masters in the preliminaries, the Holy Grail War is now down to just 1% of that.

Music: School I

That was the most powerful opponent I've faced up until now. And being asked who I was shook me a little. However, with the support of my Servant and Rani I have come to realize that I can only go forward. Even if my only reason for doing so is that I fear death... I have a Servant to fight for me and a beautiful, talented girl to help me. For now, I need to forget about my past and just continue forward as a Master—

Sound: Phone ringing

There are three rounds left, and three named Masters still in the fight, so the odds of getting someone new is practically non-existant.

Leo's obviously our final opponent, so that means this week has to be either Rin or...

Music: Duel of Fate

...Julius.

His cold, callous eyes radiate a predatory gaze. None of the other Masters tried to intimidate me quite like this. My skin prickles like thousands of invisible needles have struck the nape of my neck and my chest.

...You're not flinching. You've improved. That's what makes Wizards so special. They can make extreme progress in just a short period of time.

As the man walks toward me, the air grows more oppressive with each step until I can hardly breathe.

He whispers in my ear as he passes, close enough to touch my shoulder.

The world— The Holy Grail will be Leo's. There will be no deviation from this course.

Unable to look, unable to breathe, I wait for his malevolent presence to slowly fade as he walks away.

Caster's annoyance brings me back to reality.

Don't worry about him, Master. You're way stronger and cooler than he is!

A small touch, but they actually play the private room theme for this scene instead of the sleep/chapel theme like last week, which goes to show just how much Hakuno trusts Rani.

I wonder how Rani knows so much about Julius. After seeing the apprehensive look on my face, Rani continues her explanation.

He's known to strike from the shadows to protect the scion of his family, Leo Harway. Like a scorpion, his stinger is sharp and his poison brings about almost certain death—

Recalling that foreboding sense of death sends a chill racing down my spine.

Even with extensive preparation, you still may fall short of being able to face him— Therefore, I have decided that I will help you. My health has returned, so... If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask me.

An electronic chiming sounds from my terminal.

I find myself recalling Julius's hollow, vacant stare. My opponent...is a real assassin— One mistake, and I might as well cut my own throat and save him the trouble of doing it for me. But I can't worry about that now; I have to go to the Arena and find my first Trigger.

~

Rani is always so polite, isn't she? She's a delight.

For whatever reason, Sakura won't give out her weekly supplies today. We'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

The Matrix page for Julius has also opened up.

Strangely, his Servant is still listed as Unconfirmed, even though we've kinda, you know...

Update XXII posted:

I've grown tired of strangling cormorants. For once, I wanted to feel what I was doing...

...already seen him. :v:

After this, four will be left, and then two... It'd be good to finally face you in the finals.

Music: School III

Suddenly, we finally learn why these two have stepped in!

As you're here for the Holy Grail War, you can only access specific parts of the Moon Cell. It's a little different for us. We're not here for the Holy Grail, but for the Moon Cell's network. In exchange for access to the network, we agreed to assist the Masters competing for the Grail. But until someone wins the drat thing, we're stuck here the same as the rest of you.

...I see. Although not part of the Holy Grail War, they have been given Master status. But what's so important to them that they willingly chose to be trapped inside of the Moon Cell?

Knowing this game, this will probably become a late game side quest. Item fetching will almost certainly be involved.

All I had to go on was "part of their mind was ensnared in the virtual world,” so here I am.

As for me, I sensed a potential shift in the future and came here to make sure nothing came of it. My detestable elder sister showed up at the same time, so we decided to set up shop here. Now, I'm kind of forced to stay here so that I can keep an eye on her as well. This woman is hateful and evil, and her "research" is more Robert J. White than Marie Curie.

Well, break time is over. I need to keep searching. You two, keep the chitchat to a minimum.

In an obvious attempt to end further conversation Touko Aozaki loudly clears her throat. What's more disturbing than her rudeness is the fact that she never denied Aoko's accusation.

~

drat it, I can't concentrate. I should probably go grab some more of those horrid e-cigs...

Even if it was only temporary, he was one of us. To think he'll be fighting a friend... I guess the description "conflicted emotions" would be best used here—

There are only eight Masters left. To think you're one of them is truly annoying.

...But even if that's the case, we still must be cautious. The feeling of death that seems to ooze out of the dismal man is almost overwhelming. That sort of conniving, underhanded person is the total opposite of my dear Master.

*Sigh* Your opponent is Kuzuki? You have my sympathy. That one's dangerous. There's... something ominous about him...

May the Holy Grail continue to illuminate your path through the difficult battles ahead.

Keep up the good work! The Holy Grail is within reach! May victory be yours!

Hakuno has killed four people, how the hell is she 'almost' a real Master?

Your next opponent is part of the Harway clan, too. Good luck to us both! We can share tips with each other.

Let us have a pre-emptive moment of silence for this soon-to-be-dead Master.

I assure you that we of the commissary will continue to support your efforts.

The shop this week has a new tier of healing item, as well as finally stocking Master MP items that aren't the single digit restoring lunch foods.

And the latest set of Mystic Codes includes the next tier of healing cast...

...and a field speed buff combined with the largest MP boost we've seen so far.

We're rapidly hitting the point in any RPG where money becomes meaningless, so I buy both right now and slap them on.

Including you, there are eight Masters left. Who knows, we might be facing each other next. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, huh?

A quick cutscene starts up by the Arena.

Whatever. If anything happens, I'll just have to act accordingly. Now let's get going!

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

Just think, there's only two more Orb Zones after this week.

The preview goes out of its way to show a Nephilim guarding a red chest, so I bet it holds something good.

Music: Fear

How strange... Keep going, Master, but be careful!

In a change of pace, we can actually see the Trigger as soon as we enter the dungeon! Bizarrely, it has a completely stationary Phobia-type enemy blocking the only entrance.

Not that I'll be able to look for a way around to it, granted, since as soon as we round this corner...

Julius gets to work.

It's none other than Julius. But, even though we're in the Arena, there's no sign of his Servant. What could this—

T-that isn't Julius talking...

Huh...?

What!?

What just happened—?! In the space of a second, the air grew thick, and then I heard a thud, as if something big hit the floor. But there was nothing there. But there's no mistaking that Caster is collapsed on the floor.

Assassin is using the obvious transparency form of invisibility. To Hakuno and Caster, he can't be seen.

It's over. Let's go.

No, there's no need. I've hit their heart, which is enough, but- Yeah, that's enough. They're as good as dead.

I see. Let's go, then.

That voice must have belonged to Julius's Servant. He said something pretty ominous— "They're as good as dead." Caster...isn't moving.

I can't think of anything but that terrible sight. My strong, capable Servant is lying helpless on the floor...! We just came out the wrong side of a surprise attack. ...I can't believe what I'm seeing. This can't be real. It's a dream, right? No, I can't wake up from this dream...it's real.

An Assassin Servant...? But, the way he erased his presence isn't...normal...

Caster manages to drag herself back up.

That's, uh, one way to get info, I guess. :ohdear:

Caster haltingly gets up. It's clear that she is worse for the wear.

I'm sorry...my dear Master... I've been defeated.

She then immediately falls again.

Caster!? Seeing that I am safe, Caster sighs in relief and collapses again. I have to fix my Servant as soon as possible—

I've been mostly restored, and since it seemed that you've grown as well, I...kind of let my guard down— ...Even if it didn't always seem like it, Master, I thought, in some weird sense of self-righteousness, that I could protect you by being cautious...

I can only imagine how much it hurts Caster to even speak. She must really be worried about me. She must've foreseen Julius's assassination attempt on me. That must why she tried so hard to protect me by herself, so that I would have nothing to worry about. However, the enemy Servant somehow overcame her vigilance. Focused on protecting her Master, Caster never thought that she'd become a target.

...Caster has no reason to apologize for any of this. I should've been paying attention. The responsibility for Julius's successful ambush is mine alone. I have to do something to help Caster recover as quickly as possible. I owe her that much for protecting me.

Aaaaaaaand then the results screen instantly spoils what's wrong with her and how we heal her. :v:

For some extra salt in the wound, the Level 1 Matrix is just an Assassin? tag.

Next time: Tactical Espionage Action.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 16, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BisbyWorl posted:

That was the most powerful opponent I've faced up until now. And being asked who I was shook me a little. However, with the support of my Servant and Rani I have come to realize that I can only go forward. Even if my only reason for doing so is that I fear death... I have a Servant to fight for me and a beautiful, talented girl to help me. For now, I need to forget about my past and just continue forward as a Master—

That's an incredibly generic line. Never mentioning the opponent or the player's Servant, with only Rani needing a change to Rin depending on your choice of routes. I'd compliment it but it's a bit awkward due to that.

quote:

I'd be far more surprised if someone other than the remaining Masters got it, personally :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

On the one hand, I'm a bit surprised this master class assassin went for the ol' "leave them to die without confirming their death" routine.

On the other hand:
:allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arzaac posted:

On the one hand, I'm a bit surprised this master class assassin went for the ol' "leave them to die without confirming their death" routine.

Think of this as a fatal poison. Caster is going to fade soonTM but they don't want to gently caress around and find out.

This makes more sense with Saber, as she would still be able to ruin their day if Julius and Assassin tried to press their advantage in that moment.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Omobono posted:

Think of this as a fatal poison. Caster is going to fade soonTM but they don't want to gently caress around and find out.

This makes more sense with Saber, as she would still be able to ruin their day if Julius and Assassin tried to press their advantage in that moment.

Yeah, this is very much a situation where you have to consider that Julius is attacking you on the first day, when he hasn't seen any of what your Servant is capable of. It's far easier for him to just hit you with something lethal and see how you go about recovering, rather than try and press the win and potentially end up learning that your Servant happens to be immune to magic circuit poison or whatever they hit us with.

And also that they're writing around three different playable Servants. Saber and Archer are far less unassuming than Caster. :v:

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I guess it would be a bit awkward if you just Game Overed at this point because you didn't choose Saber or Archer at the start, but with unforgiving games you never know.

Feels like a Caster is also just naturally very vulnerable in this specific format, no lab/base, even a mini portable lab, or spells or mini servants to warn of danger during the roaming in dangeous unknown areas, pretty sure i mentioned this before, but our Caster is, besides direct combat, not doing much Castery stuff.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLV - Hard fighting

That's a problem. Looking at my Servant, the words of Julius's invisible Servant taunt me. —Death is inescapable. Death. Is Caster going to die? My strong, wise Servant who's always defended stupid me might really die? As much as my heart wants to deny it, my brain can't. Caster sucks in labored breaths, but doesn't awaken. I have to do something! Knowing that I have to do SOMETHING doesn't mean I know WHAT to do! When I rush out of the room to collect my thoughts, I run into a concerned-looking Rani.

Hakuno is a bit of a mess right now, understandably.

Oh... Hi, Rani... Good morning... I absentmindedly reply.

...Um. You don't look so well. Has something happened?

Rani's worried tone jump-starts my addled mind into processing things again. The first thing I notice is that my face is stiff with worry. Belatedly, I turn and greet Rani with a smile. —I'm glad to see you up and about.

Now it's you I'm worried about, Hakuno. What has happened? Please tell me if you can. You provided me a great service the professor said someone might someday. So, I must repay you.

Her professor? Rani talks about this individual a lot. What kind of things have they taught her?

"Find someone who treasures you for more than the doll you are." For when I do... That is when I will have a soul. That is why I have kept searching. And I have found that someone. You, Hakuno. You are so unlike my professor, and yet, you are the one. Yes... you are my owner. So please, let me assist you.

Alright, next goal after healing Caster: teach Rani that's she's her own person.

O-Owner?!

Owner?! It seems like Rani has been looking for a protector to take the place of her professor.

~

A doll...

My instructor could not construct me with a soul. Therefore, I am nothing more than a vessel. The person who holds my life fills that vessel. I have always believed the words of my professor, and they have come to fruition. I've found you.

~~

After an involuntary and somewhat bewildered silence, Rani goes on.

Up until now, I have thought my duty was to understand the lessons my professor taught me. However, Hakuno, I wish to aid you of my own free will, not for my professor. If you permit.

Of course I welcome her help. It's reassuring to know that even in the Holy Grail War, cooperation is possible. I'm luckier still that Rani is so skilled. But being her ”owner" is a little over the top. I wonder if "friend” will do.

May I link your portable terminal with mine, Hakuno?

I see no reason to object. I nod my assent, and hand my portable terminal over to Rani. Rani chants softly, and suddenly the terminal blinks. That must mean it connected.

Over halfway through the game, and we can finally talk to someone that isn't Caster or our weekly opponent while in the Arena.

Cool, now we can communicate any time. I'm glad Rani's on my side. She smiles when I thank her.

Anything... That's right! Rani may know a way to revive Caster.

Is your Servant okay?

When I tell her my Servant is still asleep in our private room, Rani ruminates for a moment.

Your Servant is still asleep in your private room? Will you please show me right away? I may know a way to revive your injured Servant.

Definitely not saying no to that. I nod curtly and accompany Rani to my private room. Caster should still be asleep there.

Going over my recording, I noticed a single frame where Caster's sitting like normal.

Before dropping to her injured pose.

Your nerves— Your magic circuits are in disarray. In layman's terms, the pipe that supplies magic to your Servant has been blocked. A Servant thrives off their Master's magic. Without it, they cannot even sustain their body's existence. ...Your Servant is sustaining their body on their magic alone right now. But, that source is finite. Unless their Master's supply resumes, they will perish in a few days' time. -I have a grasp on the situation. I will think of something. Please come see me again later. I will be waiting at my usual spot in the third floor hallway.

Rani leaves the room, the look on her face solemn. Frustration at my powerlessness wells up every time I see Caster in pain, but it's accompanied by the urge for me to get help, fast. With Rani's help this evening, I'll form a plan of action.

A cutscene starts the moment we walk out the door.

!! I twirl around to find the source of the voice, but there's no one there. I don't sense anyone. But there's no mistaking that was the voice of Julius's Servant! In other words, the malicious, unknown man who incapacitated Caster yesterday. Just hearing the sound of his voice petrifies me and makes me break out into a cold sweat. I try to flee, but my body rejects the command.

So, he's saying... If Julius isn't there commanding him to, he isn't interested in fighting me?

Hmm? Why such surprise? I'm not so savage to deal death when there is no need. Although, I do applaud that you've learned to be more cautious after your fight with Julius. He and I are kindred spirits, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I killed as often as him!

When a guy who became famous enough to hit the Throne of Heroes entirely due to how many people he killed is sniping at Julius, you know he's bad news.

The unseen Servant laughs heartily. I get the impression he's not the unrestrained killer Julius is.

Listen. I only kill one person every fight. That means just one person will unequivocally die. But...it seems that your Servant still lives? Take pride in that Servant, o great magus. For they evaded my fist, if only for an instant. Hmph. It's a pity that I will be forced to kill an opponent I have enjoyed more than any before.

...A pity...? Maybe Julius's Servant isn't the mad hellhound I thought he was. Then, maybe he'd be willing to heal my injured Caster-

Hakuno has to be desperate to ask an enemy for help.

Stay your request. As much as I'd like to assist you, my fists bring only destruction. My fists are murderous things, only able to rend the flesh and break the bones of the human body. The number that survive is zero. So as you see, I am no honorable warrior, just an executioner. So, you must aid your Servant with your own hands if I am to have an enjoyable fight.

Well, at least he's a good sport about everything!

With that, the cutscene ends.

This scene automatically starts the moment I enter the private room, completely bypassing the normal 'Speak with Caster' option.

First things first. I have to get Caster to recover, or I won't even be able to explore the Arena. I should ask Rani. I bet she would know what to do.

Oh hey, we haven't seen someone with a yellow speech bubble in a while!

I see, you fought with Kuzuki. It could be fatal if you don't restore your Servant's magic. Rani knows about stuff like that. You should go talk to her.

On the downside, we already know that. On the upside, at least we're telling everyone exactly how Julius kills in case Hakuno dies this week!

Nothing at the commissary can heal that extensive of damage, and we aren't allowed to help, either. The rules prohibit Student Council members from offering help. But... I can still wish you good luck.

His goth aura gives me the creeps. I'm 100% behind you this time. So, good luck. Really. I wish I could do more.

I like how Hakuno is friends with all the AI helpers. :unsmith:

But for now, you should concern yourself with the recovery of your Servant.

What? I'm right?! I guess it's time you started actually earning your victories for a change.

Now that us fighting each other has changed from 'if' to 'when,' Rin is a lot more caustic when dealing with us.

Here's hoping Rani figured something out.

If your Servant does not receive an infusion of magic soon, they won't be alive to see tomorrow.

And, thanks to the rules of a Moon Cell Holy Grail War, us by extension.

Dead by tomorrow...?! Whatever the case, what can I do before tomorrow comes?! How can I supply them with magic—

Rani looks directly at me and continues to speak in an almost indifferent tone.

Rani will send her—? Is that even possible? I don't know where to begin... First of all, I can't even imagine how that'll work.

First, I'll connect to the Holy Grail while you're in the Arena and open a temporary back door. Through it, I'll be able to send magic to your Servant. Consider me a spare fuel tank, if you must.

Is that even possible?! More importantly, how much stress will it put on Rani's body...

I appreciate your concern, but it's the only way, Hakuno. However, if you disapprove...

If Rani doesn't have a problem with it, who am I to object? And it's not like I have a choice... So, what do you need me to do?

First, go to the Arena and put this in a place that'll be easy to hack into.

As she says this, she hands me a black cube. And this is—?

Once you're in the Arena I will walk you through the details. For now, please go to the Arena.

I'm glad I spoke with Rani- I'm sure everything will turn out okay...somehow. For now, I'd better head to the Arena like Rani said.

Taiga has her first weekly request ready, even though Caster's still down.

Yes ma'am.

You're such a kind person. And kudos for staying positive. About my humble request... I would like you to track down something another student lost. It was a digital representation of a coin that has been in their family for countless generations. The item in question will be deleted in two days, so don't take too long to find it.

Sakura has her weekly gift.

This isn't a lunch, but I hope you enjoy it.

A new tier of Master MP restore!

Using this item's ability will allow you to move rapidly throughout the Arena.

I didn't think you were up to the challenge, especially with the Harways involved. Oh well... I can't believe you couldn't beat him even after using your Noble Phantasm. You did use it, right?

I haven't used it yet.

...Come again?! And you're still alive? That is...INCONCEIVABLE! I have no idea why you'd refrain from using your Servant's Noble Phantasm, but thinking you can always win without using the big guns seems ...I don't know...delusional.

Okay, that one is Caster's fault for not letting me use it!

~

...Noble Phantasm?

Don't tell me that you have no idea what your Servant's ultimate technique is... If you don't learn what your Servant's Noble Phantasm is, your chances of surviving are nil.

Alright, let's get in and out while Caster rests.

Or not. If we went in alone, any fight would be an instant Game Over, and not even Extra is willing to go that far.

I was planning on entering the Arena alone, but Caster would have noticed immediately. ...It's obvious that my Servant is in no condition to fight effectively, if at all. However, I have no choice but to have them join me. The fact is that if I entered the Arena alone, I wouldn't last a minute. The fifth round has arrived and Caster said that they would fight, injuries and all. Knowing the consequences of my actions, I ask that you fight alongside me anyway. Of course, you probably expected nothing less from one you've fought alongside with.

So regardless of my condition, protecting my Master is the only thing that matters to me!

We can see a sparkling spot in the dungeon preview.

Rani's quick to take advantage of that link she added.

As I said earlier, find the weak points in the Arena's firewall and set up a bypass circuit. I will guide you along, so please listen to my transmissions.

Despite these screen-sized text boxes not having portraits, the game is still able to differentiate the speaker. Hakuno's lines always start at the top, as usual, while Rani's start in the middle of the screen, like the normal Terminal messages.

...And also, when I connect with the Holy Grail, that means I will link to you, Hakuno. I will have to intrude on your files a bit, so please forgive me...

Whatever Rani needs to do, she has my permission. If I want to carry out Rani's plan, I'll need to avoid contact with the enemy.

Caster's injury isn't just for show, she skipped her usual entry lines.

...Is everything all right? Everything seems in order. Then, let us begin. It appears that this dungeon has six places vulnerable to hacking. I marked the potential hacking sites. Visit them in the specified order.

When not in a cutscene, Rani will have fully voiced lines while we're in the Arena.

Today, the star of the show is the unassuming Shockwave-1st Strike.

The first marked spot is right past where Julius ambushed us yesterday.

So far, wandering around on the field is the same while Caster's injured.

Music: Battle - Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea

But in battle is an entirely different story. Right off the bat, she's locked to her critical HP idle animation.

(The Blazing Soul is another Crix-type enemy.)

Now, Caster's look isn't just cosmetic.

In this state, all of Caster's stats are halved, on top of muting all her normal voice lines.

Although Caster is fragile enough that half Defense won't make much of a difference.

But being forced to go into today with minimal info means I have to burn a lot of MP to brute force a turn. Combine that with dealing half damage, and suddenly even a simple battle like this would take a sizable chunk of Caster's MP to clear safely.

This also explains why the Trigger is being guarded by a Phobia. If I tried to get cheeky and grab the Trigger with Caster in this state, I'd have to deal with an extremely bulky enemy that would probably survive Caster burning all her MP.

Skills are still voiced, however.

Anyways, here's the first spot.

...This one is inaccessible. I cannot circumvent the protective barrier.

Naturally, it won't be that easy. :v:

Here's why the Shockwave is so important today: Halved stats mean nothing when I can just stun every enemy and slip by them!

But this Blazing Soul manages to chase me anyways??? The stun clearly hasn't faded, you can still see the sparks around their body.

It barely misses me, and I snag the second point.

The third spot is in the corner here.

The fourth spot is right past this Inspire-type.

...As you have told me, I will do what I think is right, my—

The one we saw in the dungeon preview is over here.

And the last one is right there.

Despite what Rani said on the way in, this one is the only spot you have to hit. You can just skip past everything and rush here to get through this segment.

You lose control the moment you get close.

I shall analyze it in more detail to see if it is an appropriate place to set a bypass circuit.

Interestingly, the game forgets to bring up the screen blur that usually goes with a full text box.

...Yes, that place is suitable to establish a bypass circuit. I will circumvent the barrier by channeling magic from the Holy Grail that maintains the Arena.

I hear her whisper something—

I will conduct an unauthorized entry from the terminal. Please remain still. ...We won't know until we test it out, but it appears the bypass circuit was successfully created. It's all thanks to your support. So thank you very much. Now then, let us continue this on the school grounds—

Alright, let's get out of here before-

gently caress.

Next time: A narrow escape!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 16, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My very old cat is sick right now and so Hakuno's worry is relatable.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLVI - Peeping incident: Caught red-handed

No, not at all. I'd say they were just good enough to evade the full force of my strike.

Urk— My Servant isn't in condition to fight properly...but we have no choice but to defend ourselves—

Fight.

:black101:

Music: Duel - Unauthorized Battle

This fight is even more hopeless than all the other hopeless fights I've thrown Hakuno at. Why?

Because Assassin's invisibility means he takes zero damage from all sources.

And before you say, 'oh, just spam Curses on unknown turns like all the other fights,' consider the following:

His invisibility makes all his attacks inflict Stun.

At which point he breaks you in half. That's as much damage as Arc did with her NP, and he's matching it with a normal attack!

And so Caster falls, her death quotes also silenced in her injured state.

And our reward for bravely charging to our death is a mismatched pronoun. This is doubly baffling because two of the three Servants you can pick are women!

I freeze, and without time to even regret my decision- The impact of an invisible blow severs my consciousness from my body in an instant—

Too bad, I was looking forward to a rematch, but fighting them in that condition is whipping a beat dog.

I don't know if the voice belonged to Julius or his Servant. I guess I'll never know—

~

Look for an escape.

I'm facing the harshest of all the Masters I've encountered so far. He and his Servant are like a pair of hawks who would only revel in swooping down on their fleeing prey. I have to prepare for the worst—

Accompanying Rani's voice is a blinding light that comes shooting out of my terminal.

Kinda funny how the difference between living and dying here comes from stalling for five seconds.

My vision goes white. All my senses are snuffed out. The bright light forces me to clench my eyes shut, as I give my body over to a strong gravitational pull. The spiritrons that make up my body are compressed into a single point, and removed from the Arena. My consciousness condenses, like two dimensions becoming one, and then traveling to a far beyond— In that strange timespace—

You know, now that I think about it.

I hear Rani's voice.

What kind of amnesia wipes out all knowledge of your life, but leaves in basic trivia?

Her voice wavers, as if she's so shocked she can hardly speak.

How could you lose the ability to recall your parent's names, but still know the ingredients to a meal you've never made? Unless...

She softly mutters a searing truth.

...there was never any amnesia to begin with, and that was all you knew from the start.

Whatever happened with Rani's rescue, it left the room empty tonight.

Still dazed, I move my head some. It appears my motor skills are intact and my body's okay. I'm sore all over, but I'm alive. I sit up and open my eyes.

You have been asleep ever since the imposed withdrawal.

Checking my portable terminal, I see that a day has passed. Rani ejected me from the Arena when Julius attacked. I've been in shock ever since, I guess.

A silver lining in a dark cloud, I suppose. That's right. About the bypass circuit... Is it in progress?

The bypass circuit is providing a satisfactory influx, so I should be able to supply magic.

What a relief. It's pure luck that Rani found a way to heal Caster just in time.

Which really shows off how screwed Hakuno would be if she was a normal Wizard. The only reason Rani is here to save Caster is because Hakuno saved her in Week 3. The only reason Hakuno was able to save her was because she didn't have a body to damage. If Hakuno tried to save Rani anyways, she'd die to the firewall. If Hakuno didn't save her, she'd have no way to keep Caster alive after Assassin's ambush.

...? I wonder why? Still, I do as I am told.

Hakuno Kishinami: still not the brightest.

It's...all right to open your eyes now.

I should now be able to supply magic to your Servant directly from my own person.

That soft sensation still lingers on my lips. When I look at Rani, she blushes and looks away.

All that's left is to perform the ceremony in which I will supply magic to your Servant. I shall have that done soon, so please come back this evening.

I can't keep leaving everything up to Rani. If there's anything at all I can do to help...

Namely, I am going to perform the ceremony in the nurse's office, so please do not peek.

Don't peek? I suppose she doesn't want any distractions. I should do as she says and wait until the evening.

I guess I'll go to the library and wait around for her to contact me. Or- Maybe I should just head straight for the nurse's office...?

...The best way to heal a Servant? Y-You idiot, I can't speak of such things in public!

Yeaaaaaaaah, Extra hasn't entirely ditched its Stay Night roots.

What could she have been up to? Actually, scratch that. I think I know. Interesting...

That reminds me... I saw Kuzuki headed for the Multimedia Room with something key-like in hand. I think it was something like a lapel badge. We could enter the Multimedia Room with that.

Despite that, nothing actually happens at the Multimedia Room.

Heading to the Library skips ahead, so going to the Nurse's Office is optional.

I wonder what she's up to. I could get fired for this. How am I supposed to do my job out here?

I'd better see what's going on.

As I put my hand of the door, I feel a slight shock, as if I was plugged into a socket. I crack the door open and peer inside...

You're still...um...ah...like this, even in your current condition? Oh dear...

...I can't really see anything. What is going on in there...?

If I open the door a bit more...

All of a sudden— What could that possibly—

Noise: Electronic screeching

I must've set off an incredibly powerful trap, but for an instant, I saw a naked, slender leg-

Her anger washed over me like a wave. All I could think about was her leg...and other— No. Better not to dwell on that. The next time I try to peak will probably end up being fatal. I guess I'll go kill time in the Library instead. *SIGH*

Hakuno isn't foolish enough to try again, naturally.

So off to the Library we go.

Oh poo poo, Julius's brother.

The source of that voice could only be Leo. I wonder what he wants from me...

loving rude.

His brother—? Is he talking about Julius?

Of course, that has nothing to do with his participation in the Holy Grail War. His only reason for being here is to protect the next head of the Harway family.

I wonder what he means exactly by "bid you farewell"...

There's no way you'll win. With that in mind, I wanted to say my farewells before your inevitable demise.

Second best line in the game.

Our skill levels may be different, but I have no intention of just rolling over and dying.

Same things can't be overcome through strength of will. My brother is simply too skilled for you to defeat.

That may be true, but even you can't predict how our battle will end. There are no absolutes...especially in this world.

...Yes, I suppose you are right. There are no guarantees, even for him. I have no arguments to offer.

Leo gives a little nod, as if in appreciation of the limits us mortals face. But I don't think that nod was for me. It was for his brother Julius.

However, that is a discussion for another time. In this case, I believe my brother will be victorious— But should he be defeated then, it'd obviously be a result of bad luck. Or perhaps he had no luck at all.

He honestly doesn't care whether or not we kill his own brother.

How can he be so pragmatic about the possible death of his own brother? Why wouldn't Leo wish for Julius to claim victory...?

No. I would never go so low as to wish for victory of any kind. That is not the way of kings. As heartless as this may sound, my brother's victory or defeat would be of no consequence to me. His efforts will all be self-serving. If that effort doesn't benefit his lord, then it has no meaning. More to the point, his victory here will mean nothing. For I will be the sole survivor of this war. Eventually, he will die by my hand. Why then would I wish for his success in the preceding rounds? Although, if there is any consolation to be found, it'd be in the fact that he will have died for a purpose. My brother will be the foundation on which I will build my rule, from which the masses will benefit greatly.

Although he has a point.

...Julius kinda gets a raw deal here, doesn't he? His entire reason to be here is to die by Leo's hand and hand him the Grail. If he tries to rebel and kill Leo, then the Harways will instantly retaliate for his betrayal. Either way, his fate was sealed the moment he came to the moon.

So this is how Leo sees everything... So these are the true thoughts of one who has been ordained to rule the world—

I've been meaning to have a serious conversation with you for quite some time now. As long as you believe that you'll survive until the end, farewells made now would be premature. We will probably meet again, should the chance present itself.

And just as they had when he appeared, the sound of his footsteps managed to convey his regal bearing. I didn't need Leo to point out how much more skilled Julius is at combat than me. However— I have no intention of giving up. After all, I'm not in this alone.

I'll be right there!

Your opponent...is a lot shorter than I expected. I was surprised.

Yeah, the moon as in outer space. Home to a processor that far surpasses any on Earth. Don't you find that the teeniest bit romantic?

Right after I talk to these two!

Rani shows up as soon as you enter the floor.

Just like the terminal said, when I reach the first floor, Rani is waiting for me. My Servant is behind her.

It's a big relief to see Caster's smile. Since she's extra bouncy, things must have gone well. Rani, on the other hand, looks a tad exhausted. Was the healing that difficult?!

A-Anyway. There is no longer any problem with Caster's magic.

Oh good. What a relief. The nurse's office smells sweet. Maybe I should ask what they did in there, for future reference.

If you want to know what happened, Caster can inform you in detail... but...

Oh, but I better cut the main body from the power source so higher-ups don't yell at me. *Giggle*

Read: she'll have to censor the hell out of it or else she'll completely demolish the T Regulations.

Main body?! Power source?! I don't know what she means! What did they do in there?

How could I not? I'm a Master, I care what happens to my Servant.

Hakuno is honestly the only person who could use that reason and be 100% sincere about it.

It is good you feel that way, but it is lucky you weren't caught in the trap. If you had entered... ...you could have suffered severe brain damage. The trap was meant for the enemy, not you.

Uh, Rani? We've already confirmed that Hakuno is immune to brain damage. You picked the one trap that's incapable of inflicting long term harm on her.

...It's kind of scary how powerful Rani is. I'm glad I didn't...um, interrupt her. Well, I ought to thank Rani. She looks worn out.

I am a bit tired, though. I shall return to bed for the remainder of the day.

I thank Rani and say farewell. As soon as she leaves, the gravity of our situation returns to me. Julius's Servant is strong. I have to be able to retaliate or I will become digital debris.

It's true that the Caster class's defenses are penetrated easily, so we just to need to plan for it. Other Casters have planted daggers in their purses, you know. Don't fear, Master! I'm going to kick the butt of that Servant with my magic!

Please, no... Not the cold rush of death again... By the time my senses revive, Julius has come to confront me.

You were mean to me, so now I'm going to spill your secret! You reverse the yin-yang spiral through a breathing technique. The "seven spouting holes of blood"? It is a technique that harnesses universal energy. I've heard of a kenpo artist like you...

From one encounter, we've gotten half of Assassin's info.

How marvelous, my opponent! With my fist I will crush you into powder, and grind you into the earth. *Sigh* This joy is a cheap liquor that I drink and drink but never am sated by. Right, Julius?

If by "joy" you mean "bloodlust," I have no interest. Be brief about your business.

How about you, my enemy? You must take some joy in bloodshed.

W-Well, I might have fun, but that doesn't mean I crave it! Not like with sweets... Plus, my Master is a kindhearted person. Nothing like you! What were you thinking, becoming an assassin after reaching a status like yours? Jeez, I don't get it at all!

The dark side is seductive, as any martial arts instructor knows. Like a snake eating its tail, death leads to blood leads to death leads to blood.

Watch out, Master! This stupid guy is going to start trouble here!

It's unavoidable. If we don't go on the offensive, we'll die here. We'll give it all we've got...

Everyone freezes at Kotomine's single word. Coming from him, that single word holds special weight.

Holy poo poo Kotomine is actually being helpful for a change.

If you are so eager to kill each other, do it where I won't see. Otherwise, I have to stop you. If you choose to continue, I will be forced to slap you both with a penalty. What shall it be?

My interest has waned. Let's go. I don't wish to be saddled with a penalty for ending this weakling.

...Hmph. Fair enough. I, too, wish to avoid a dull fight.

Julius leaves. His unseen Servant follows, apparently.

With that said, Kotomine leaves. Well, if nothing else... I'm glad my Servant is back to normal. Like Kotomine said, we can go back to exploring the Arena. There's no time to stand around. I head off to the Arena.

Level 2 just holds a single Key Word.

A second strike isn't needed posted:

This was the second name given to one of the strongest practitioners of kung fu in Bajiquan history. Considered to be the ultimate master of Bajiquan, it is said that this person was able to take the life of his opponents with a single gentle touch.

Bajiquan is a Chinese martial art, so that narrows the list down to just a handful of people.

Next time: A climatic reveal!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 16, 2023

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Look, you just take a freshly fertilized egg and sacrifice it for mana. Everything else is just very fancy drapes over the process.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

NHO posted:

Look, you just take a freshly fertilized egg and sacrifice it for mana. Everything else is just very fancy drapes over the process.

???
Last time I checked, "mana exchange"* worked with bodily fluids, no eggs required.
*yes, that's what the young magi are calling it this days

And oh boy this franchise is almost as bad with their :airquote: mana exchange :airquote: as the Ar Tonelico series and their badly not at all disguised sex metaphor.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

NHO posted:

Drinking fresh blood is a viable and less NC-17 option.

Omobono posted:

???
Last time I checked, "mana exchange"* worked with bodily fluids, no eggs required.
*yes, that's what the young magi are calling it this days

And oh boy this franchise is almost as bad with their :airquote: mana exchange :airquote: as the Ar Tonelico series and their badly not at all disguised sex metaphor.

Nothing is like the Innuendo from Arc Tonelico. that game is very very special with how bluntly direct it beats you in the face with the not-at-all-veiled sex references in everything related to Revytals.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

BisbyWorl posted:

Bajiquan is a Chinese martial art, so that narrows the list down to just a handful of people.

I've always wondered. Why does Bajiquan show up so often in anime and related video games? Kotomine practices it, too. Same for a character from the Melty Blood remake that just came out. Not to mention all the other fighting game series.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

DeTosh posted:

I've always wondered. Why does Bajiquan show up so often in anime and related video games? Kotomine practices it, too. Same for a character from the Melty Blood remake that just came out. Not to mention all the other fighting game series.

I can't speak for any other franchise, but I think Nasu just really like Bajiquan.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Omobono posted:

The difference being that Ar Tonelico is at least trying to say something with its blatant metaphor, whereas as far as I'm aware "mana exchange" has basically always just been an excuse for fanservice.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ZCKaiser posted:

The difference being that Ar Tonelico is at least trying to say something with its blatant metaphor, whereas as far as I'm aware "mana exchange" has basically always just been an excuse for fanservice.

It's entirely because sex sells, and it's a way of getting stories that otherwise would have never seen the light of day onto the board. It's telling that once Fate became mainstream, they punted it out the window and only look back as a joke. In fact, later releases of the original visual novel have the scenes wholesale changed.

Unfortunately, EXTRA was... a touch before that turning point.

Materant fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 9, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLVII - Shining star

Before we head to the Arena...

We should probably check in with Caster.

C-Caster, I think you let something slip there. :stare:

The fox-tailed priestess dances around the room. This normally dreary room seems to be bathed in brilliant colors. ...Hold on a second. Did she just blurt out something incredibly important?!

Hoooooooo boy, Tamamo-no-Mae is... a rather Big Name in Japanese mythology.

And by 'big name' I mean she's considered one of the biggest, baddest evil youkai around.

Tamamo's legend starts in China as Daji, where she became the favored concubine of King Zhou and turned the place into a mess of orgies and tortures.

After toppling a dynasty and running away to India to avoid being executed for that whole affair, she changed her name to Lady Kayō, where she became a consort of King Kalmashapada, and decided the orgies were too gauche and instead engaged in more modern pastimes, like killing priests and eating kids.

She then went back to China, this time calling herself Bao Si, became the concubine of King You, and got him to get so much murder going that all his allies betrayed him.

Another toppled dynasty and escaped execution later, she finally fled to Japan, transformed herself into a baby, got adopted by a married couple and was named Misukume, then eventually got the name Tamamo-no-Mae after joining the imperial court and became, you guessed it, the favored consort of Emperor Toba.

She then got caught trying to curse the emperor to death in a bid to take over Japan, and was promptly hunted down and killed by 80,000 soldiers, at which point her spirit possessed a boulder, the sesshō seki, and made it so poisonous that anyone who got near it would instantly die.

Tamamo's legend finally ends with her spirit confessing all her sins to a wandering Buddhist monk, swearing to never again do wrong as her spirit is exorcised from the stone.

It wouldn't be too much of an exaggeration to claim that Tamamo-no-Mae and her various legends are the reason nine tailed foxes in fiction tend to be Fairly Bad News.

Now, what does that mean with our Caster? Was her plea to the monk a lie, and has all this been an elaborate ruse to seduce, corrupt, and abandon us like she has before? Or were the legends completely false, and Tamamo never did any of those things? Well...

Update VII posted:

Huh? My true name? I'm far too insignificant for you to bother with my true name, Master! Please, just call me Caster.

Update XV posted:

I feel ripped apart to the core. There's Shinji's death. There's what Rin said. Rin's right. I know it's logical. But emotionally, I can't deal with it. Unable to let it pass unnoticed, my Servant talks to me.

Update XX posted:

[...]

Caster flees to the back of the room, flailing her arms. ...Could it be more psychological barrier than strategy that's leading her to conceal her true name...? Although we're only in the second round, my trust in her is already unshakable at this point. ...Seriously though, what in the world makes her think that I'd be disgusted by her true identity?

Update XXXVIII posted:

Update XLIV posted:

I think we can safely say that, at the very least, Tamamo got up to some poo poo, but honestly regrets her actions and is serious about changing her ways, so her devotion to Hakuno is sincere.

But at the same time, we should still keep an eye on her, because while she wants to atone...

Update VIII posted:

Update XXI posted:

I wish! My Master's so straitlaced that an atypical Heroic Spirit like me gets tied up in knots. I'll let you in on a little secret— not all of us Heroic Spirits were noble in life. That would be boring. Oh, and on that note, careful you don't get nailed from behind AGAIN.

You know, only wretched people think the people around them are wretched. And really, from behind...? That's the position pathetic cowards and hopeless weaklings attack from. Lucky for you my kindhearted Master would never exploit your weak spots with my subterfuge skills! ...Oops, it's a secret that I'm actually better at sneaky stuff.

Update XLVI posted:

How about you, my enemy? You must take some joy in bloodshed.

W-Well, I might have fun, but that doesn't mean I crave it!

...She still holds a tiiiiiiny bit of a sadistic streak, and would probably go overboard without someone to keep her in check. She swore to do no wrong, not do no harm, after all.

Wow, she even repeated herself...! But seriously, is this really okay? Also, I thought that when a Servant finally revealed their true name, it'd be a bit more...awe-inspiring. I mean, after all of the build-up leading to the big climax, shouldn't there be more fanfare, explosions...something?

Technically speaking, this scene is optional. I could have just ran into the Arena as soon as I got Tamamo back. It isn't even marked as a yellow chat!

No! A thousand times, NO! Leave such vain and insecure displays to a Saber or an Archer! Tamamo is a sweet, kind-hearted Heroic Spirit who gleefully embraces her role as an iconoclast! For a girl in love, such a shameful display would be like wearing a Brazilian bikini on a first date!

With that, Ca— I mean, Tamamo-no-Mae climbs up onto a desk and strikes a heroic pose, finger pointed at me. Her enthusiasm is probably representative of every Servant when they reveal their true name, but as she's having so much fun, I figure why point that out? It'd be...complicated...to explain exactly why I think this.

Are you okay, Master? Everything went exactly as Tamamo thought it would. I mean, there was no way that I could contain my feelings of gratitude towards my dear Master, and I couldn't stand the impersonal formality of being called Caster even one second longer... But those weren't the only reasons. I have to take our current foe seriously. And continuing to hide my name seemed like a waste of effort.

Her smile confirms my suspicions. Now that I know her name, I can see her entire life unfold in my mind. Tamamo-no-Mae. The fox spirit that was said to be the catalyst for a rebellion within the Imperial court. That is her true name.

And with that, we finally get another level in Tamamo's Matrix!

But I am maturing just as you are, my dear Master, and am preparing to show you my trump card. All that's left to do now is prepare for battle. The real fight against that dark cloud of doom starts NOW!

Tamamo's enthusiasm has me so pumped up that my hands clench into fists of their own accord. ...She's right. Our battle with Julius has now truly begun. We don't have much time left, but when we next meet, we will get the better of him—

Level 2 holds her True Name, a Key Word, and two Skills.

Red Lily of the Killing Stone of Nasu posted:

This skill involves the use of the infamous Killing Stone of Nasu. After her death, Tamamo-no-Mae's spirit began to haunt the area around this stone and also imbued it with a terrible curse that killed any creature that came near it.

Originally located in the Nasu highlands of Tochigi Prefecture, the stone was shattered by a virtuous monk by the name of Gennou who then scattered the pieces across three places in Japan. It is believed that the shards of the rock evolved into fox spirits known in Japanese as kitsune and inukami. The legends go on to say that these newly-born spirits were bound as familiars by wizards powerful enough to establish contracts with the divine.

Maleficium (EX) posted:

The sacred rituals of the Dakini goddesses. The rituals confer the abilities to perform such actions as foretell the time and place of one's death and manipulate the hearts and minds of both men and women. Due to a number of very harsh lessons impressed upon her in her past, Tamamo-no-Mae no longer makes use of her still formidable skills in these areas.

Transformation (A) posted:

This refers to the abilities of either changing ones appearance or borrowing the physical form of another. As a kitsune, or fox spirit, Tamamo-no-Mae is able to alter her appearance and even species at will. However, due to a traumatizing event in a past incarnation that resulted in her death and temporary damnation, she rarely, if ever, uses this ability.

In the final years of the Heian period, there was a beautiful courtesan in service to the Emperor Toba known as Tamamo-no-Mae. Born Misukume, she first entered the court as a servant at the age of 18, but quickly became a well-respected lady and a favorite of the emperor himself due to her incredible beauty and the depth of her intelligence.

While the stories become somewhat murky on this point, the most widely accepted theory is that an itinerant fortune teller visiting Emperor Toba's court discovered Tamamo-no-Mae's true identity as a nine-tailed fox spirit. Tamamo-no-Mae was denounced as the cause of the emperor's lingering illness and was driven out of the palace and onto the plains of Nasu, where she was killed trying to defend herself against an army of 80,000 soldiers sent by the emperor. While no one knows exactly what happened to her afterwards, it is believed that she was transformed into the legendary killing stone.

Alright, off to the Arena.

We're three days into the week and we can finally explore the area.

Riiiiiiiight after we deal with Julius.

*Chuckle* Let's see if we can make Mr. Doom and Gloom even frownier!

Tamamo revealing her True Name adds in new voice lines in the Arena.

For both field travel, and in battle.

The Phobia-types we saw yesterday are, fittingly enough considering the past few days, Necrophobias.

I stop off to get this chest I skipped over last time.

Luxury equals love. And I love valuable things!

It isn't much.

The Inspire-type is called a Punishment.

The true punishment here is having to play Fate/Extra.

Oh, and there's a hidden path right here that you can use to skip right to the end during yesterday's exploration.

We get our first level of the week off a Necrophobia.

There are two paths past where we ended yesterday, so let's take the left one first.

Master, we can take that with us with a clear conscience.

It leads to a chest.

And a small dead end.

The other path leads to a second split.

One path leads to Julius.

So I'm obligated to ignore him and clear out the other path first.

He who cries over a penny, cries over a penny... What does that even mean?

The transparent walls make this really awkward.

The confrontation starts the moment I enter the room.

This has gone beyond ignorance. I'll happily crush your imbecilic exuberance underfoot.

...Yes. We would be in trouble if you couldn't handle yourself in the sixth round. Do as you please.

I will make three strikes in this fight. If you can hit me within that time, you win. Decent terms, right?

Music: Duel - Unauthorized Battle

This fight is special.

Really special.

Assassin is set to use Wait for moves 1, 2, and 6.

He'll then pop an attack buff on move 3.

Then automatically counter you on move 4.

Followed by another buff on move 5.

Notice how Focused Chi doesn't add any buffs to his status bar. It does something, but that something doesn't come up during this duel, so he's just killing time.

He'll then do the exact same thing for the next two turns. Just as Assassin promised, he'll only attack three times.

The solution?

Just pop a Skill over his counter, as Skills beat the move triangle.

Hakuno also gets fancier Code Cast animations with stronger Mystic Codes

Then do the same thing for turn 3.

And done.

We managed to survive. Julius's Servant was true to his word and only struck back at intervals. But I could easily imagine that if one of those strikes made a direct hit, it could be fatal.

Caster evaded her opponent nicely, but the uncertainty of where the attacks would fall exhausted her. If not for the system's limitations, we would have been obliterated.

I would prefer to continue in a more appropriate venue. Until then, build your strength for me.

And with that, they leave.

After expressing anticipation for our future battle, the Servant disappears. Julius glances our way, then follows suit.

Yeah, Julius's Servant possesses the really convenient ability to make himself invisible. Unless we identify and eliminate it, we might as well consider victory out of reach. There are three days left of the preparation period. In that time, I have to demystify his technique—

Okay, now we can freely explore.

Julius was almost certainly blocking the Trigger, so let's go the other way.

We find Taiga's request.

And that Nephilim we've been seeing.

That red chest better be worth it.

As an extra kick in the pants, every week has a new flavor of Nephilim, so you always go in with minimal info.

It still dies.

Our reward?

Power.

POWER.

POWER.

See, up to this point, the only source of Servant MP restoration we've had is Tamamo's Spirit Theft. The problem with Spirit Theft is that it:

A) Requires one of her moves to set up,
B) Is utterly dependent on how many Guards the enemy wants to throw your way, otherwise you have to throw out a Curse to open a free action, and
C) Now has to compete with Bestial Sky.

But this? mp_heal(16);? This is utterly unconditional. I pop it, I trade 30 Master MP for ~60 Servant MP, end of discussion. As long as I don't need to heal Tamamo, I can throw this out every turn and drastically increase how long it takes for her to run out of steam. And as a double whammy, being able to freely sling spells means the odds of me taking a hit in the first place drop like a rock, letting me spam mp_heal as much as I want!

But wait, it gets better! While I can't restore Servant MP with items, I can top off Master MP! So if Hakuno runs dry in the middle of a fight, I can toss one of the many Master MP restores in my inventory. And wouldn't you know it, those became buyable just this week!

Last week was the hump Tamamo had to get over, as once you get this Mystic Code her power skyrockets.

Tamamo's dominance over the rest of the Holy Grail War assured, I double back and take the path Julius was guarding.

Look at those MP counts. Even if I didn't use items or Spirit Theft, I'd have to burn 900 Servant MP to fully run dry! And every 30 MP Hakuno gets from leveling up instantly becomes an extra 60 for Tamamo!

Suffice to say, there's exactly one Mystic Code in the game that will replace the Staff of Fortitude, and spoiler alert: it'll be the upgraded version of it.

And there's the Trigger.

Now, mp_heal still has one minor drawback. Namely that I only get two Curses worth of MP back every turn, so Tamamo will slowly run dry over the course of a long fight.

Granted, regular enemies will never last long enough for that to matter, and a Level E Matrix gives around three revealed moves every turn on bosses, so that's still ten full turns before I have to worry about it, even before factoring in Spirit Theft.

I'll be firing this off pretty much every turn for the rest of the game.

I do a bit of grinding before I leave and end up letting Tamamo's MP dip a bit.

But I'm on the field, so I can just chain cast mp_heal until she's topped off! :sickos:

I get one more level.

And then call it a day.

But, um, it would be nice to be able to SEE the enemy... Tomorrow, let's cook up a plan to make the enemy Servant visible!

Next time: A completely normal thing to find under the sea.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 16, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Information Matrix - Caster (True Name Revealed)

Maleficium posted:

The Witchcraft that Caster uses is all physical phenomena performed with her own body.

While common Magecraft are programs that "recompose what exists around," Witchcraft are programs that "recompose the raw materials in one's own body."

According to Caster's own words:

"This time there is only one due the constraints of the Moon Cell, but originally I could produce a million troops from my multiple tails!"

That is really suspicious though.

Red Lily of the Killing Stone of Nasu posted:

This skill involves the use of the infamous Killing Stone of Nasu. After her death, Tamamo-no-Mae's spirit began to haunt the area around this stone and also imbued it with a terrible curse that killed any creature that came near it.

Originally located in the Nasu highlands of Tochigi Prefecture, the stone was shattered by a virtuous monk by the name of Gennou who then scattered the pieces across three places in Japan. It is believed that the shards of the rock evolved into fox spirits known in Japanese as kitsune and inukami. The legends go on to say that these newly-born spirits were bound as familiars by wizards powerful enough to establish contracts with the divine.

Territory Creation C posted:

This skill allows one to create a reality tailored specifically to their skills as a magus. Unfortunately for Tamamo-no-Mae her personality is ill-suited for the task of manipulating reality and she has great difficulty even creating a small-scale crafting studio for creating minor amulets and other types of low-level talismans.

Maleficium (EX) posted:

The sacred rituals of the Dakini goddesses. The rituals confer the abilities to perform such actions as foretell the time and place of one's death and manipulate the hearts and minds of both men and women. Due to a number of very harsh lessons impressed upon her in her past, Tamamo-no-Mae no longer makes use of her still formidable skills in these areas.

Transformation (A) posted:

This refers to the abilities of either changing ones appearance or borrowing the physical form of another. As a kitsune, or fox spirit, Tamamo-no-Mae is able to alter her appearance and even species at will. However, due to a traumatizing event in a past incarnation that resulted in her death and temporary damnation, she rarely, if ever, uses this ability.

In the final years of the Heian period, there was a beautiful courtesan in service to the Emperor Toba known as Tamamo-no-Mae. Born Misukume, she first entered the court as a servant at the age of 18, but quickly became a well-respected lady and a favorite of the emperor himself due to her incredible beauty and the depth of her intelligence.

While the stories become somewhat murky on this point, the most widely accepted theory is that an itinerant fortune teller visiting Emperor Toba's court discovered Tamamo-no-Mae's true identity as a nine-tailed fox spirit. Tamamo-no-Mae was denounced as the cause of the emperor's lingering illness and was driven out of the palace and onto the plains of Nasu, where she was killed trying to defend herself against an army of 80,000 soldiers sent by the emperor. While no one knows exactly what happened to her afterwards, it is believed that she was transformed into the legendary killing stone.

Combat lines:

Battle start

My darling will obviously be the winner here, you know?

~

Let's wrap all this up before breakfast.

~

Let's not stress out about this, okay?

~

Master, your orders. (True Name Revealed)

~

Let's clean up this mess without leaving a trace. (True Name Revealed)

~

Okay, Master. Let's crush them swiftly. (True Name Revealed)

~~

Command Selection

I'll show the power of a servant! (Effigy battle)

~

Let's go~! (Normal)

~

Let's begin. (Normal)

~

I'm ready~! (Normal, True Name Revealed)

~

I'll dig right in~! (Normal, True Name Revealed)

~

Ugh, come on~. You're so annoying! (VS weak enemy)

~

Life in the human world is fleeting, isn't it? (High health)

~

I'm not in the mood to lose. (High health)

~

Now, cry for me in a more pleasant voice~ (High health)

~

This just isn't worth our time, Master. (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

I'd like to get this over with already. (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

Do you understand the power of our love now!? (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

Hyaa…! We're on the brink, darling! (Low health)

~

Darling, fight! (Low health)

~

“There is many a slip between a cup and the lip,” and all that, Master! (Low health)

~

We can't afford to lose focus now! (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~

I can still fight. Let's kick it up a notch! (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~

Master, don't give up! (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~~

Commands confirmed

I'll curse you~

~

Please watch me!

~

Here I come!

~

I'll do my best!

~

Please leave it to me! (True Name Revealed)

~~

Normal attacks

Take that! (Attack)

~

Good effort! (Guard)

~

Nope! (Guard)

~

Ineffective! (Guard)

~

Swift is Heaven's vengence! (Counter)

~

Returning the favor! (Counter)

~

Back at you! (Counter)

~

Please die. (Break)

~

I'll break through! (Break)

~

Cry your heart out! (Break)

~

Perfect! (Extra turn)

~

Ah ha, am I glowing? (Extra turn)

~

Here we go! (Extra attack)

~

Let's do it! (Extra attack)

~~

Master support

Thank you!!

~

I'll work even harder!

~

My love is priceless!

~

You won't escape!

~~

Damaged

Owww! (Opponent extra attack)

~

Oh no! They've figured us out, darling! (Opponent extra attack)

~

They got me... (Defeated)

~

Please forgive me, my darling... (Defeated)

~~

Victory

Ha! You're such a genius, darling! (Perfect victory)

~

Master! I'll stick with you forever! (Perfect victory, True Name Revealed)

~

Resent me as much as you want. (Victory)

~

Mhmm, you're very welcome. (Victory)

~

And with that, farewell. (Victory, True Name Revealed)

~

Heh... Please try again later. (Victory, True Name Revealed)

~

I-I thought we were going to die~ (Near-death victory)

~

T-that was an intense fight... (Near-death victory, True Name Revealed)

~~

Skills

Fiery heavens, erupt! (Curse: Fiery Heaven)

~

You burn really well~ (Curse: Fiery Heaven)

~

Frigid heaven, collapse! (Curse: Frigid Heaven)

~

Ice sculpture complete~! (Curse: Frigid Heaven)

~

Split your magic with me, okay? (Charm: Spirit Theft)

~

I'm going to settle a grudge. (Charm: Spirit Theft)

~

Concealed air, gather! (Curse: Chaos Heaven)

~

This might rend your flesh to shreds~ (Curse: Chaos Heaven)

~

Could you please not touch me? (Mantra: Aphotic Cave)

~

Did you think you'd be able to hurt me? (Mantra: Aphotic Cave)

~

Let me show you my true strength. (Mantra: Bestial Sky)

~

Please regret this, okay? (Mantra: Bestial Sky)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

And with that, my mission to never, ever mention serefin's avatar can finally end! :v:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I somehow never noticed Serefin's avatar hahahaha

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BisbyWorl posted:

And with that, my mission to never, ever mention serefin's avatar can finally end! :v:

Eeepies posted:

I somehow never noticed Serefin's avatar hahahaha
Mikooooon~.

And now we have Mikon's true name. Tamamo-no-Mae.
I love the take on her character as a member of "horribly evil" anonymous so to speak. Hime is a really good influence on her.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, I was wondering how we were supposed to handle that. Once more a victory for just ignoring it until it no longer matters, it seems!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Sum Gai posted:

Yeah, I was wondering how we were supposed to handle that. Once more a victory for just ignoring it until it no longer matters, it seems!

When in doubt, just think of the Streisand Effect and never mention it.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

If it makes y'all feel better, I was unspoiled on Tamamo's identity and I absolutely didn't make the connection with that avatar :toot:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, the cat's out of the bag! ...although we can't still talk much about Tamamo without spoiling every other Extra related entry, so he's a fun fact instead!

Tamamo is considered to be part of the "Three Great Yokai of Middle Ages", together with Shuten-doji, a famou oni who also appears as an Assassin in FGO, and Otakemaru, another oni who is related to a character who is sorta Extra spoilers? So yeah, she's a big deal and the local manifestation of the Asian "Evil Fox GF who drives you to orgies and Geneva violations" Not sure why it's so common a myth.

Now, you might have seen a grouping called "Three Great Evil Yokai of Japan" that replaces Otakemaru with Emperor Sutoku... welp, that's a Western invention! :v: Emperor Sutoku is instead part of the "Three Great Vengeful Spirits of Japan" together with Taira no Masakado and Sugawara no Michizane AKA the three dudes you gotta pray at their shrines before animifying them unless you want Earthquakes. Funnily enough none of them made an appearance at any Fate entry yet.

And the final joke on that? All those groups are basicaly one guy's opinion each, there's also a grouping called Three Great Yokai which are just Tengu, Kappa and Oni which are just species.

The conclusion? Don't believe everything you read on the net, guys!*

*Disclaimer: All I wrote out might also be bullshit, no resposibility taken if you get owned by an actual Japanese anthropologist.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I figured Caster was Tamamo just because that was the only fox spirit with a sordid past I knew of. Though frankly, the extent of my knowledge of major Japanese myth and folklore is mostly limited to having played both Nioh games. Which are frankly a great source of late warring states period and miscellaneous yokai trivia!

On that note... Have any notable figures from those games ever shown up in Fate? I'd imagine Honda Tadakatsu would be a Lancer you would NOT want to gently caress with, since one of his major claims to fame is being untouchable on the battlefield.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
There have been some Sengoku-era warriors popping up in Fate, mainly by way of Fate/KOHA-ACE as gags and Fate/type Redline as a much more serious story - and of course, most if not all of them have made their way to FGO. Shout-out to Nobunaga, who rivals Artoria and EXTRA-Saber for having an absurd number of alternate versions.

I'm guessing now that the cat (well, fox, really) is out of the bag, we'll probably be making use of Tamamo's noble phantasm to deal with that invisibility factor somehow. Surely they wouldn't save access to your noble phantasm for right until the end of the game, right?

...Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I figured Caster was Tamamo just because that was the only fox spirit with a sordid past I knew of. Though frankly, the extent of my knowledge of major Japanese myth and folklore is mostly limited to having played both Nioh games. Which are frankly a great source of late warring states period and miscellaneous yokai trivia!

On that note... Have any notable figures from those games ever shown up in Fate? I'd imagine Honda Tadakatsu would be a Lancer you would NOT want to gently caress with, since one of his major claims to fame is being untouchable on the battlefield.

Characters who were in both Nioh and FGO include Nobunaga, Muramasa, Miyamoto Musashi, Sasaki Kojiro, Yoshitsune, Benkei, Ashiya Douman, Minamoto no Yorimitsu (as Raikou) and one more who is a spoiler for the EXTRA CCC manga.